Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 10th Aug 16, 8:57 AM
    • 79Posts
    • 288Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    12 months to turn things around
    • 10th Aug 16, 8:57 AM
    12 months to turn things around 10th Aug 16 at 8:57 AM
    Hi everyone!
    I have had a light bulb moment and decided to document my progress here to motivate me to change my ways and get rid of my debts - the interest charging ones - within the next twelve months. It needs a real change of lifestyle for me to achieve that, so this is as much as a life overhaul as a financial one

I need to check the figures but I think I have around 2k on my credit card and dh has 2.4k overdraft

We have a lot of other debt - all of which is pretty old now, interest free and being chipped away at slowly- plus our mortgage which has 8 years left to run. I'll deal with those once these two have gone.

So, a bit about me and why I'm doing this. Household consists of three adults - myself, dh & ds - one very elderly dog and an adult daughter who has lunch with me daily. I currently don't work through choice - I took a sabbatical while I was rethinking my career then a loved one became ill and I cared for her until I lost her recently. I intended to return to work once my dog passes but I am to become a first time grandparent early next year so it will remain on hold for now. However, if I haven't turned my finances around in the next 12 months, I may not have a choice.

The debts have risen because of poor choices made dealing with grief. It's not an excuse, it's just the reality and now that I'm aware of it, I have to deal with it. I don't want to sacrifice time with my grandbaby or have no disposable income when I want it so I have to get my backside in gear and free myself as soon as I can from this burden.

I will drag out actual figures later and post them along with my budget - feel free to analyse and recommend
Page 2
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 8th Jan 17, 9:28 AM
    • 10,342 Posts
    • 66,312 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I have found this week an odd one too. I think it's because it was still the Christmas break up to Tuesday then trying to get into back to work is always weird.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 20th Jan 17, 6:44 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    The credit card has gone!!

I'm mega happy can't write more as I have to get ready for work but needed to get it down on paper!!
    CC £0/£2000; OD £2000/£2000; Relative Debt £0/£6000; Car fund £3500/£8000; Sofa Fund £0/2000; GC £322.34/£3600 MFW £50/£22968.96
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Jan 17, 8:37 AM
    • 10,342 Posts
    • 66,312 Thanks
    Bobarella
    That's fantastic news!!!
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 11th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Its been a while!!

All is good though- I paid off the od and original cc balance, bought the new car (which took my months wages plus has put a 2k balance back on the cc but paying that off in the next 10 days) got both the cars insured and taxed and the house insurance sorted

Better than any of that though is that I am now a grandma! I am so desperately in love!!!

Although I'm not at home as I originally intended to be, I know that I can ease the load financially for my daughter now and also make sure that in the future, my grandbaby will see the beauty of the planet... when my babies were young I didn't have much money and although they always had what they needed, one of the things I wish I could have done was take them around the world to see the sheer beauty, diversity and magnitude of our planet... having the opportunity to do so with my grandbaby is a real gift and I'm incredibly excited about the prospect !!

The removal of all my debt (including the mortgage) should be sorted in the next two years...I just need to stick to the plan and remember why I'm doing this!
    Last edited by squirrelgirl; 11-03-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    CC £0/£2000; OD £2000/£2000; Relative Debt £0/£6000; Car fund £3500/£8000; Sofa Fund £0/2000; GC £322.34/£3600 MFW £50/£22968.96
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 19th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 2,370 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Hi squirrel girl, just popping by to wish you congratulations on becoming a nan and making huge inroads into your debt.

I will continue to read with interest x
    Target 1 - Save £1500 by 28/02/2017 Currently £1500/£1500

Target 2 - Op Mortgage by £4000 by 31/12/2017 Currently £819.17/£4000
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 19th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Thanks NHS

I am hopefully going to get the greenhouse sorted today - it's pretty windy though and I need to replace the glass that we lost so I may have to see how it goes I will have to re-pot my seedlings though, regardless of what happens weather-wise... a few purple sprouting broccoli, a couple of cauliflower, a Brussel sprouts, an aubergine and a few tomato plants have all done well so they need to be potted on I will also start the leaves, the red basil and the oregano today - it will end up saving me a fortune on herbs and salad

I have cancelled one of my charity donations today - it was one that I agreed to do for a couple of months and I have done 6 months of it now so I don't feel too bad about it; ultimately, reducing my mortgage is more important to me at the moment (particularly as I have discovered that the chief exec of this charity is on a six figure salary!! I know that they have to get the best people for the job, but it seems excessive to me....)

I'm looking forward to the week ahead - mainly because I get to spend most of the week with my new grandbaby and I get paid this week so will clear my cc again I put half of the car costs onto the card and paid the other half cash last month - I don't like having a balance on my cc now though

I'm going to check out the spare room and see what needs doing to my wine while I am there - it will save me a fortune in the summer if I have them bottled and ready to go I also have a mountain of books that I need to get rid of...does anyone know any decent companies that will buy them from me? I know I won't get much but every penny counts on my mission!!

I have got a duck out of the freezer for the boys (although I am vegan, the rest of the household is not so I still have corpse in the freezer to get rid of) which should feed them for the next few days along with some of the super 6 stuff I bought at A*di yesterday - oranges, purple sprouting broccoli, kale and some spring onions. I also got some potatoes so will do some mash with it....tomorrow they can have Chinese pancakes and the most of the remaining duck and then I will put the rest in sushi on Tuesday. I'll have the veg in a warm salad tonight with some quinoa and puy lentils, some hoisin jackfruit and Chinese pancakes tomorrow and avocado sushi for Tuesday. I will have to buy the avocado but other than that, it's all from the store cupboard/fridge

It's all about saving the pennies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin