Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bouncybubbles
    • By Bouncybubbles 9th Aug 16, 10:07 AM
    • 229Posts
    • 312Thanks
    Bouncybubbles
    Have I done the wrong thing buying second hand?
    • 9th Aug 16, 10:07 AM
    Have I done the wrong thing buying second hand? 9th Aug 16 at 10:07 AM
    Hi all,
    My hubby and I are hoping to start trying again for a baby early next year after a M/C in October. Now at the time I was in full panic mode as I saw how much items cost especially prams/car seats etc. My friend whom I have known for a good few years was selling her cosatto travel system (car seat, base,cot,buggy etc) for what I believed to be 1/6th the cost new. And as I know her and know her lifestyle/cleanliness I couldn't see an issue. So we jumped in and brought it (hugely premature I know). However since getting it home I have now begun to notice several issues. First there is an undeniable smell of slightly sour milk to every single piece of fabric alongside a slightly musty/damp smell even though she has washed it all. Also the chassis is chipped and scratched to within an inch of its life and the whole system clearly looks at least second hand maybe even third. I think this was in part due to her not driving so this set has done many road miles I imagine. To top it off there are some suspicious stains on some of the items which have clearly not come off despite washing. I was researching online how to fix these things and then discovered that this should have gone back for a recall due to a potentially faulty folding mechanism. I genuinely don't know what to do these are my options....

1) try and amend what's wrong with it myself before putting it in storage
    2) replace parts directly from cosatto with unknown cost
    3) take my losses and get rid to buy new when we are actually expecting
    4) try and get money back from friend (least favourable option really)

Thank you all
    Love my DMP left to pay £8,690.13/ £9916.74
    Est DFD 11/2018
    £2 savers club: number 88 £14 so far!
    Wombling free number 41 £6 so far!!
    Emergency fund £50/£1000
    Weight loss 2016 13 LB
Page 1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 9th Aug 16, 10:14 AM
    • 22,129 Posts
    • 55,125 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 9th Aug 16, 10:14 AM
    • 9th Aug 16, 10:14 AM
    Option 4 is a no-no. Too long ago and could jeopardise the friendship to even ask.

My preference is option 3 but only if you can afford it.

If you go for option 1, I suggest you ask on the OS board for hints on how to clean and remove the smells. I know that Marley used a power washer on one buggy we got from a charity shop - it soaked it, but soon dried in the sunshine.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • newcook
    • By newcook 9th Aug 16, 12:30 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    newcook
    • 9th Aug 16, 12:30 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 12:30 PM
    call the manufacturer and see if they still want to recall it - they may even offer a replacement!
    • Jox
    • By Jox 9th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Jox
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    I have gone through 4 prams in 2.5 years with my son, a Quinny Speedy I got off ebay for £40, a City Jogger from ebay I got for £80, a mamas and papas pram bought new for £80 and a £20 Hauck pram bought new from Argos.

Funnily enough the £20 pram has lasted the longest! It's light to push and great for travelling on the bus, but doesn't recline so not so good for when my son is sleeping.

The mamas and papas is so heavy to push. I sold the Quinny pram. I'm still using the City Jogger, it's a great pram and folds so easily and reclines right back and has a really good hood which comes down over my son when he is sleeping and practically covers him to his feet so he can get a good sleep in the day.
    • mashedavocado
    • By mashedavocado 9th Aug 16, 1:54 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    mashedavocado
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:54 PM
    If a recall has been issued then I'd be contacting the manufacturer personally.
    • Bouncybubbles
    • By Bouncybubbles 10th Aug 16, 9:52 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Bouncybubbles
    • 10th Aug 16, 9:52 AM
    • 10th Aug 16, 9:52 AM
    Quick update I have sold the set for half what I paid to a lovely young couple who are aware of the recall (many of their friends have this exact pram). They fully inspected it and are aware of smells/stains/chips etc. They were really enthusiastic about it and are going to be replacing most of it for new so I think they just wanted the chassis and car seat base. Not very money saving of me but I feel better now its gone to a new home who are aware of all its issues and want to fix them
    Love my DMP left to pay £8,690.13/ £9916.74
    Est DFD 11/2018
    £2 savers club: number 88 £14 so far!
    Wombling free number 41 £6 so far!!
    Emergency fund £50/£1000
    Weight loss 2016 13 LB
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 7th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 1,433 Thanks
    anotheruser
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    Thanks for coming back to update
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,255Users online

Martin's Twitter