Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sexyscorp66
    • By Sexyscorp66 9th Aug 16, 1:23 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Sexyscorp66
    Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:23 AM
    Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds? 9th Aug 16 at 1:23 AM
    I am posting this because I am completely bewildered as to why it's proving so hard to sell my late father''s 3 bedroom semi in Bramley,Leeds.
    I originally put it in on for £145k-the estate agents' valuation -and in the middle of the online valuations.That wouldn't even but an apartment in Chapel Allerton -a northern part of Leeds.
    I recently dropped the price and still have had few viewings.I think some of the viewers are just idiots who are not genuine about buying.The last viewer said he would only pay £108k.I take that as a personal insult and a joke frankly.
    I know Yorkshire people are notorious for bring stingey (I am.one!)-but this is just taking the p****.
    I don't understand what the problem is.Its very fairly priced at £132k.The house is immaculate and the decor is elegant though not the most modern or trendy-my dad was 90 when he died-why does anyone expect it?-if the decors not modern enough it's for the buyer to sort it -I simply can't afford such fundamental changes.
    WHAT is going on???
Page 9
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    http://www.mortgageintroducer.com/first-uk-house-price-fall-four-years/#.V_4uc0lTHct
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 30th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 5,837 Posts
    • 7,089 Thanks
    poppy10
    Now down another £2k to £128k.
    This is what we call chasing the market down
    Originally posted by poppy10
    And down another 3k to £125k.
    Now 7k reduction in total since OP posted and insisted it was fairly priced and she wouldn't be dropping a penny.

Funeral wreath still in the pictures!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41842239.html
    This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 30th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 5,774 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    hcb42
    I just read all nine pages, thinking there might have been some kind of happy ending...I guess that's not going to be the case.

I was also in this boat in 2009 after my father died. Also a house in the north, and trying to sell during the recession. None of us siblings lived near enough to go up very often either.

On one visit, after it had been on market six months, I realised it was time to empty out the house of furniture and contents neutralise the walls and just give it a bit of a tidy up without spending a fortune. Took a week off work to do it, and it sold in a month - still a big project for the new owners, as everything needed ripping out
    2015 challenges to include: Weight loss 56lb/42lb YAY!!!); My Old Age Pot £39100/£50000; Maldives 2018 Fund £601.37/£3600; . DH Rainy Day fund £2200/£1200 Camping Trips 2/2 booked.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 12,061 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Let's revisit the comparables listed in the early days of this thread...
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41446848.html - £145k, 2-bed semi. Removed from RM.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34610124.html - £130k NSC, 2-bed semi. Sold STC.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40108269.html - £130k 3-bed semi. Still for sale.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43433073.html - £130k 3-bed semi. Sold STC.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58716662.html - £113k 3-bed end terrace. Removed from RM.

So, to answer the OP's original question from the title of the thread... It isn't...
    • Dird
    • By Dird 30th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    Dird
    Does someone here live by? Arrange an evening viewing (so EA can't do it) & tell OP to login here & lower the price more
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £785 | Current accounts: 15
    Mortgage (Nov 16): £76,486 | £30k in 2016 #96: £27,530 (91.7%)
    • scriv
    • By scriv 30th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    scriv
    I'm afraid I too have to agree with everyone.

My daughter bought a spacious 3 bed traditional semi in Bramley in the Ganners Mount area in about 2010 and sold 3 years later in 2013 and was so disappointed to see her valuation drop over 10k because of the housing climate, especially up north.

The house was great and had such a lot of family living space plus a good size garden, garage and drive for 3/4 cars and had been considerably modernised, but it was post war ex council, near to local authority housing and therefore had a ceiling on the price it would ever achieve because of its area and style.

It was however soon snapped up as it appealed to a wide range of people and was realistically priced - and we were grateful to be able to get a sale whilst watching some others sit around for ages at higher prices. And its new owners love it!

A house is only worth as much as people are prepared to pay no matter what an EA says and every road has a 'ceiling' on the prices.

I would take the offers that are being made in case the market becomes difficult again.

Sorry OP.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 31st Oct 16, 2:50 AM
    • 20,792 Posts
    • 83,700 Thanks
    Davesnave

I was also in this boat in 2009 after my father died. Also a house in the north, and trying to sell during the recession. None of us siblings lived near enough to go up very often either.
    Originally posted by hcb42
    I also found myself with a 'tired' property, but that was in 2005, in the south, so easier.

Even so, it was still a case of " Do I do it up, or sell as it is to a developer?"

As I'd semi-retired, I went for the renovate option, but it was a 10 month slog. It paid-off, but things would have been very different if I'd marketed in 2008, and not 2006, just before the Crash.

You don't get owt for nowt, but that seems to be what the OP wants. Too tired to re-market and too proud to admit their mistaken belief about the 'value' offered.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 31st Oct 16, 6:50 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I wouldn't bother replying to help the OP as they've not been on here for nearly 3 months
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 31st Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    • 20,792 Posts
    • 83,700 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I wouldn't bother replying to help the OP as they've not been on here for nearly 3 months
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Says who?

It's possible to come here without signing-in, or even to assume a completely new identity.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 31st Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    csgohan4
    one down the road

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55908265.html

Selling for 109k is much more modern and nicer.

Sigh OP really needs to renovate or price it accordingly. As a FTB, your property is a nightmare as I do not want to take the hassle to renovate it extensively.

OP will get what they deserve
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 31st Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,902 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I just wanted to say that as someone who has been looking to buy lately (just studying the market, not really in a position to buy yet) the 'dad' flowers in the garden alone would have put me off even a viewing. You can tell from 50 paces which houses are on the market because someone died, and if you're sensitive at all, that's going to creep you out a bit. I'm really shocked that OP had them in the photos.

I can't comment on the price being too high, where I live that kind of house would cost £300k. I'm seriously considering moving elsewhere.

Best of luck OP.
    Total debt at its highest £18,780/Total today £9,320.49
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 31st Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 5,845 Thanks
    Andypandyboy
    I think it is hard when you have an emotional attachement to a house, when you have memories which are still vivid. Maybe when the OP is more ready to let go they will see that price is the issue. I would also move the wreath to their own garden or to the grave.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 31st Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    great thread, read all 9 pages. Just the sort of property we buy except a lot cleaner. If they are priced at £30k or more below the price they will sell for done up nicely we buy them. Ask yourself how much it's worth fully renovated. If its 30k above asking price now then you are right. However I fear you are still asking too much.

I've seen probate sale houses still on the market 12 months later because one of the inheritors won't budge on the price. By then it's costing the estate money every month. Council tax premium for empty property, and you either heat them and keep utilities connected or they deteriorate very quickly.

The photoshoped sky - I presume someone asked a ten year old for help with that? Estate agent and OP Please re-arrange these words to make a well known phrase...

Coffee, Up, Smell, Wake, And, The.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 31st Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    kilby_007
    By dropping the price by 2K each month you're just following the market trend, they're not real reductions. Just knock it down to 105K and get it sold, stop being greedy.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 1st Nov 16, 9:50 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 7,941 Thanks
    warby68
    Its a sad situation all round

OP was angry and resentful and unwilling to address any issues when they started the thread. Their other posts suggested they were benefit dependent and struggling with the empty house costs as well as illness.

At the right price, they could probably be looking at a material change in their life now rather than paying to maintain an empty property falling in value and with its lingering sadness.

Not sure if the question was ever asked whether the OP could actually move into the property as an alternative given their reluctance to do anything to it or reduce the price much? That could be a compromise outcome.
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 25th Nov 16, 1:58 PM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    ......it's back!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57003451.html

New agent, new photos. Funeral flowers have gone! Down now to 120k. Still massively a buyers market, there seem to be loads and loads for sale for 120k in the area, all in better condition than the OPs. Talk about chasing the market down.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 25th Nov 16, 2:03 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    tykesi
    So from a decent(ish) estate agent to a nobody who I assume are cheap, they always seem to take on the properties which don't sell in Leeds. Seen this happen on at least three other houses in the Leeds area.

I assume Whitegates didn't tell the OP what they wanted to hear.

Looks like Dad's flowers have gone but his walking stick is still by the headboard on the bed - creepy!
    Last edited by tykesi; 25-11-2016 at 2:06 PM.
    • love lifer
    • By love lifer 25th Nov 16, 2:14 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    love lifer
    as much as anything this is a location issue- bramley is not chapel allerton, its not a particularly desirable area to live. I was told my house was worth 135-145 and sold it for 120. because it was in a poor area. it was galling as the estate agents raise your hopes and the buyers dash them. but getting rid was the best thing i could have done. hope OP accepts the hard truth and gets a sale
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 25th Nov 16, 2:23 PM
    • 8,449 Posts
    • 6,081 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The new agent is based in Manchester! They appear to have failed Elementary Floorplan Drawing and could only be bothered to take photos of 3 rooms
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 25th Nov 16, 2:28 PM
    • 12,061 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The new agent is based in Manchester!
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Quite a few of the cheapie online agents seem to be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,082Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: Tonight #MartinLewis looks into our family finances; Marriage tax allowance, student loans and child tax credit, 8pm on @ITV?

• Don't forget 8pm tonight ITV - should be a good show. As always my aim is to, in effect, pay you to watch #martinlewis money show

• RT @bbc5live: After midday, money-saving @MartinSLewis will be here to answer your financial questions ????https://t.co/UQMSd5TKbb https://t.?

• Follow Martin