Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sexyscorp66
    • By Sexyscorp66 9th Aug 16, 1:23 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Sexyscorp66
    Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?
    • 9th Aug 16, 1:23 AM
    Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds? 9th Aug 16 at 1:23 AM
    I am posting this because I am completely bewildered as to why it's proving so hard to sell my late father''s 3 bedroom semi in Bramley,Leeds.
    I originally put it in on for £145k-the estate agents' valuation -and in the middle of the online valuations.That wouldn't even but an apartment in Chapel Allerton -a northern part of Leeds.
    I recently dropped the price and still have had few viewings.I think some of the viewers are just idiots who are not genuine about buying.The last viewer said he would only pay £108k.I take that as a personal insult and a joke frankly.
    I know Yorkshire people are notorious for bring stingey (I am.one!)-but this is just taking the p****.
    I don't understand what the problem is.Its very fairly priced at £132k.The house is immaculate and the decor is elegant though not the most modern or trendy-my dad was 90 when he died-why does anyone expect it?-if the decors not modern enough it's for the buyer to sort it -I simply can't afford such fundamental changes.
    WHAT is going on???
Page 8
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Aug 16, 8:37 AM
    • 14,308 Posts
    • 36,425 Thanks
    FBaby
    I am guessing that this was during a time when buyer sentiment was more positive, or perhaps "manic" is a better word? Did you add the price of the re-decorating to the asking price?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Manic or not, it didn't sell before the decoration was done and the comments we received were quite clear. It went from 'lovely house, really like it but too much work needing doing, would need to reduce the price by another £20K), to lovely house, large rooms, beautiful garden, very nicely decorated, could move in right away and no need to do anything to it'.

The reality is that more and more buyers go by their first impression either way. They either walk in and get a feeling of doom at the prospect of the work that would be required to be to their standard, or they have that first 'this is the one, I have to have it' feeling.

Yes I did add the price of the decoration to the revised asking price.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 11th Aug 16, 8:30 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 14,968 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I notice there is no shower in the bathroom, which is pretty much a standard requirement these days, so this might put buyers off, even if they can live with the avocado suite. For a comparatively small sum you could get a shower mixer attachment for the bath taps, which is better than nothing. I don't mean those rubber tubes, more like this...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/apollo-bath-shower-mixer-chrome?campaign=googlebase&gclid=COTk6uiLus4CFaUV0 wodWcMNcg

As well as the DAD wreath in the garden pics, I noticed the bath board in the bedroom, again adding to the impression that a decrepit old person lived there. I can't understand why the EA didn't make some attempt to hide such things before taking photos. You definitely need new ones (both EA and photos!).
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Aug 16, 11:33 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    [QUOTE=FBaby;71129608]Manic or not, it didn't sell before the decoration was done and the comments we received were quite clear. It went from 'lovely house, really like it but too much work needing doing, would need to reduce the price by another £20K), to lovely house, large rooms, beautiful garden, very nicely decorated, could move in right away and no need to do anything to it'.

The reality is that more and more buyers go by their first impression either way. They either walk in and get a feeling of doom at the prospect of the work that would be required to be to their standard, or they have that first 'this is the one, I have to have it' feeling.

Yes I did add the price of the decoration to the revised asking price.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I do get the difference between walking into a set from the Twilight Zone circa 1934 and a bright, neutral living space that the prospective buyer can see themselves living in and making their own, all I am saying is that kite flyers get found out in a downturn.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Aug 16, 9:58 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 6,351 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I think the benefits of updating also depend on the type of house and who you are selling to. When I sold my 2 bed terrace the advice I was given was not to do the work, as it was unlikely that I'd get the cost back. i think this was partlyu because mine was a 'start home' type property and the main potential buyers were BL landlords (who would probably prefer to do the work themselves, wquite possibly cheaper than i could) and first time buyers, for whom a cheaper asking price and then doing so DIY and some work asand when they could afford it would be more attractive.

But in marktering the house I priced it realitiscally taking into account the dated kitcehn and bathroom etc.
    • bettyboo71
    • By bettyboo71 16th Aug 16, 6:31 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    bettyboo71
    TBagpuss, my situation was the same as yours, my buyers would either be first timers, or BtL landlords, so no point in me spending money which I would not have got back in the selling price. I was very lucky to find a couple expecting their first child who could only get a mortgage for my asking price - all the similar properties neaby had had the work done and were around £5k more.

I can't add to any of the advice already given, and the OP seems to not want the advice they asked for, but this has been a very entertaining thread all the same!
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 7th Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    • 5,837 Posts
    • 7,089 Thanks
    poppy10
    Price has been dropped by £2k to £130k.
    Funeral wreath still in the pictures though

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41842239.html
    This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 7th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 7,142 Posts
    • 3,831 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    From a buyers view, the property needs -

1. New Kitchen
    2. New Bathroom
    3. Wardrobes removing - Walls making good.
    4. Decoration.

I would remove all the Furniture, have new photos taken.

What once was a family home, and something you like. Isnt what someone else will like. Whats down the side of the house, there was no picture.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Sep 16, 2:16 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,453 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Looks like the OP didn't take a blind bit of notice of any of the advice she was given then.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 12,026 Posts
    • 10,427 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Looks like the OP didn't take a blind bit of notice of any of the advice she was given then.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    And that comes as a surprise, given her responses here?
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 8th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 5,837 Posts
    • 7,089 Thanks
    poppy10
    Price has been dropped by £2k to £130k.
    Originally posted by poppy10
    Now down another £2k to £128k.
    This is what we call chasing the market down

Funeral wreath still in the pictures.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41842239.html
    This post is sponsored by MoneySupermarket
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Still an awful looking decor and so much higher than what is available nearby.

I would pay less than 100k, needs too much work to justify that price.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No one biting, so either lending is tightening, or common sense is spreading?
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 9th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    No one biting, so either lending is tightening, or common sense is spreading?
    Neither. It's still overpriced compared to previous sales, you keep trying to twist things to make yourself feel good.... it's the sign of serious mental illness though mate.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 10th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 7,941 Thanks
    warby68
    Its sad that the OP can't/won't act to help sell the house.

It will start to deteriorate soon as empty houses do and be even harder to dispose of.

It could become a millstone instead of the former loved home
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Its sad that the OP can't/won't act to help sell the house.

It will start to deteriorate soon as empty houses do and be even harder to dispose of.

It could become a millstone instead of the former loved home
    Originally posted by warby68

With no heating, mould will take hold and the home will be a shadow of it's former self, further reducing it's value
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 10th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    It's two months today since the OP last logged in. I doubt we'll be hearing the outcome of this.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 10th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Neither. It's still overpriced compared to previous sales, you keep trying to twist things to make yourself feel good.... it's the sign of serious mental illness though mate.
    Originally posted by Jack Johnson the acorn

So you are saying that over-priced houses never sell?
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 10th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    So you are saying that over-priced houses never sell?
    This is simply overpriced for Bramley, parts of which are horrible. Other areas of Leeds are still seeing rises.
    4 recent newspaper articles about Bramley :

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/police-in-leeds-break-up-disturbance-involving-up-to-200-youths-1-8171460 - published today

http://westleedsdispatch.com/bramley-police-seek-man-racially-abusing-shopkeeper/

http://firewestyorkshire.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/major-blaze-in-bramley-leeds-black.html

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2016-06-25/police-hunt-man-after-woman-grabbed-while-walking-dog-in-leeds/
    Last edited by vuvuzela; 10-10-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 11th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    It's pointless engaging with Crashy in a factual and sensible way, he'll call you a debt slave/junkie, go on about the housing system being a ponzi scheme. All whilst claiming that official government statistics relating to house prices are fixed in some weird conspiracy, Rightmove is a scam and the real price of a rented property can only be established by Crashy's expert anecdotal evidence based on the clippings in his local newspaper which only he can access.

Furthermore he is only paying £100 pa in rent for his mansion which is on the same road as Fred the shred Goodwin.

The Reality: Crashy is/was sharing a room in some dingy HMO on the outskirts of Niddrie (sink hole estate) where the inhabitants meetup in the shared bathroom for some "fun".

I promise you that all I have typed is 100% true.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    It's pointless engaging with Crashy in a factual and sensible way, he'll call you a debt slave/junkie, go on about the housing system being a ponzi scheme. All whilst claiming that official government statistics relating to house prices are fixed in some weird conspiracy, Rightmove is a scam and the real price of a rented property can only be established by Crashy's expert anecdotal evidence based on the clippings in his local newspaper which only he can access.

Furthermore he is only paying £100 pa in rent for his mansion which is on the same road as Fred the shred Goodwin.

The Reality: Crashy is/was sharing a room in some dingy HMO on the outskirts of Niddrie (sink hole estate) where the inhabitants meetup in the shared bathroom for some "fun".

I promise you that all I have typed is 100% true.
    Originally posted by Jack Johnson the acorn

Yes, it is obvious you didn`t do that..

Fred still making waves it seems?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-rbs-legal-idUKKCN12A1WQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,948Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter