Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 8th Aug 16, 7:20 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 59Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Don't call it a dream.... Call it a plan
    • 8th Aug 16, 7:20 PM
    Don't call it a dream.... Call it a plan 8th Aug 16 at 7:20 PM
    I'm trying to get my finances in order as I suppose I've been sticking my head in the sand and living for the moment too much.

Myself and my now ex partner bought my grandmothers house 3 years ago when she died. She had lived here 65 years and the property needed a lot of refurbishment no central heating, full replaster, new kitchen, bathroom etc. This wasn't ever really the plan to do this but I felt like her house should stay in the family and hated the thought of it going to a developer. We basically borrowed money off family for the deposit and the start of the renovation funds and have since extended the mortgage. We had no savings what so ever but saw it as a bit of an adventure and our chance to get on the property ladder.

As I said before I bought this with my now ex, I have managed eventually to get the mortgage in my own name. It isn't massive but neither is my salary and going from paying less than half of everything to paying everything on my own I've struggled. So I've decided to get my head out of the sand and sort my sh*t out!

The house still needs some work but more cosmetic now most of the big jobs are out of the way and its definitely liveable.

I've started this diary to hopefully help myself keep on track, any tips and advice will be gratefully received and maybe this may be of use to someone else one day. I want to try and cut down what I spend, make extra cash, pay off debts and start to put some savings behind me as I don't have anything and I don't pay into a pension I'm 33! ( suppose it's something I've always thought I'll sort when I grow up) after my finances are in better order I will look at making over payments on my mortgage as I want to do what I can to reduce the term.
Page 2
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 30th Jan 17, 11:00 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Well I'm another year older it was my birthday on Friday so had a lovely weekend with friends and family, afternoon at a spa on Friday, night out in Manchester on Saturday and a gig with a friend last night. This meant it has been a spendy weekend but I've loved every minute. Early to be tonight though I'm shattered!!!
    • Jox
    • By Jox 30th Jan 17, 11:22 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Jox
    Good luck kitty and happy birthday! Sorry about the ex but it sounds like you are better off without that one!
    Take care
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 2nd Feb 17, 12:49 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Since the first of January I have kept a money diary and track every penny spent, I knew January would be a spendy month I had my dog at the vets for her annual booster, a (cheap) spa day for my birthday, drinks out and a gig. The totals are that I spent a bit more than I earned but I'm not going to beat myself up over this hopefully I can claw some back in February as I don't have anything planned.

I generally spend my time at home alone with the dog now as I don't have much to do socially so I really enjoyed my couple of treats in January.

Managing to keep my grocery spends low and taking lunch to work everyday. Tracking every penny spent again in February.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 2nd Feb 17, 1:04 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    My plan is to clear the following debts and then save for the following

£952 Credit card 0% - clear this first with regular payments plus and extra money I can make from MB, TCB, selling etc

£2000 / £6000 family loan I have already saved £2000 towards this and there is no interest and no rush. Even if they have to wait 10 years they aren't bothered but I would rather clear this as I would feel better.

Increase my emergency fund to £2000 being on my own and never expecting to own a home alone with only one wage I feel I need this so don't want to use this towards debts.

Save £1500 then start to make a big effort with finishing the house renovations, I may need more but this will make a start and I need quite a bit for furniture as some point as I have rooms I don't use as they are just bare

Eventually the long term plan is to start making extra payments on the mortgage but a lot of other things to do first.

Feels good to write my plan down and I'm pretty determined so I will find a way.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Feb 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    doingitanyway

Save £1500 then start to make a big effort with finishing the house renovations, I may need more but this will make a start and I need quite a bit for furniture as some point as I have rooms I don't use as they are just bare
    Originally posted by kittykatneedscash
    I so identify with this. I would so love to do up my spare room and renovate my bathroom but on one salary and with debt too it is hard. Although a little voice in my head says 'well done you! You did this all by yourself' Keep going. I have subscribed to encourage you

I'm older than you and a little concerned about your pension. Do you get pay increases? I used those to keep increasing my pension contributions by 1% each time. I really didn't notice that way. Just a thought...
    DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 02-02-2017 at 1:22 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=9,600
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 28th Feb 17, 11:30 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Ok looking back through my diary these were some of my plans for the beginning of Feb

Pay off credit card asap £952 @0% (through regular payments and any added income I can make TCB, MB etc) - Current balance is £922 but I have £429.12 saved towards this the card is 0% I think its psychological that I want to keep hold of the money for the time being then pay it off in one lump I would be annoyed at myself if I had to use the card for any reason after paying bit here and there.

Pay off loan from parents £4000 - I still have £6000 left to pay but have £2160.17 saved towards this so only reduced by a little this month but more than nothing.

I already have an emergency fund of £1500 which I want to keep rather than use to reduce debt at the moment - My emergency fund currently stands at £1900.34 once this is at 2k I will focus on the credit card / loan from parents and house renovation fund

I am currently trying to Konmari my house starting on clothes donít have a lot so could end up with hardly anything - Clothes done but not got any further I need to crack on books next!

As you can see I prefer to save towards debts but not actually pay them back erm... there is reason though, there is no rush to pay my parents back but I would feel so much better once this is gone but I would hate to pay some back and then need to borrow again so for the time being it's staying put in my account.

I think being on my own has made me feel far more vulnerable financially I can't see there being anyone else in the picture for a very long time but feel like a mortgage on my own is a big responsibility.

I have opened a Nationwide account with 5% interest up to 2.5K which I will keep some of the money in.

I have also switched one of my current accounts with has my direct debits for my Mortgage and utilities to TSB I only opened this account yesterday so if all goes to plan I should get £125 for switching, 3% interest upto 1.5K and 5% cashback on contactless purchases upto £5/ month. I've known I should switch around for quite a while but so far all my accounts current, savings, mortages have all been with the same bank when I sat down and actually looked around and got my head around it I can gain so much more by switching around and opening new accounts. Just have to make sure I swap enough money around to meet the minimum pay in amounts.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 2nd Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    RIP Iphone
    So at the weekend my iPhone was lost / stolen / missing in action it wasn't insured so I've had to buy a new one gutted!!

I didn't want to sign up to a 24 month contract and increase my monthly outgoings so I bought one outright out of the money I've saved for my parents and will pay that back as soon as I can. So my Saturday night out ended up being the most expensive I've ever had. It's done now though so trying not to dwell on it and carry on with my plan.

I'm off tomorrow and not much planned for the weekend so shouldn't spend too much just a few groceries and maybe a curtain pole (all rock and roll in my house at the moment)

Hopefully get some items decluttered / listed on Ebay and maybe some wallpaper stripped
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 6th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Ok so my cheap weekend didn't quite go to plan I did get the curtain pole just need to figure out how to put it up I'm not even sure if I still have a drill or not, went for a lovely long walk with my mum and our dogs on Saturday morning and to visit my sisters new allotment with my niece and nephew had lots of fun building a bug hotel with them. I ended up going out Saturday night only for a couple of hours and ended up going to an open mic night last night with a new friend. I know a couple of people at the pub that was hosting it so got a couple of drinks bought from an old school friend who could possibly be a new love interest. He's very keen I'm just not sure I am ready for anything yet but it was nice to spend time together. Watch this space if it does lead anywhere he has his own company wealth management / financial advisor so maybe he can teach me a thing or two
    Last edited by kittykatneedscash; 06-03-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 6th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Also had my first months interest payment from my new n@tionwide account £3.48 woop woop interest always used to be a minus figure so this 'free money' is amazing not much but should be double that this month as I've transferred another 1k of my emergency fund over. Need to set up the switch on my TSB account and set up the internet banking I will try do this tonight if I get chance.

I listed one item on Eb@y on Saturday a handbag that was a gift a while ago that I've only used once which sold a few hours after Need to get that ready to post tonight too. Really feel like I am starting to get somewhere now I have taken control of my finances. (Still annoyed about having to fork out for a new iPhone though!!) My anxiety has risen it's head again today though I think it is linked to the possible love interest I definitely have my guard up now and almost think if I'm on my own I can't get hurt again so just see how things go I guess. Hope everyone is having a positive Monday.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 7th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    I set up the internet banking for my new TSB account last night and set up the switching service. I am a little nervous about this as I haven't done this before. The direct debits that come out of the account is 2 mortgages, credit card bill, gas, electric and water I hope they all get transferred ok. The switch should be all complete by 30/3 fingers crossed not a lot I can do now other than sit and wait.

Final £150 repaid from my ex this morning only taken 5 months and a lot of hard work from me but to be honest I was very doubtful I would get it back at all. So £100 towards saving to pay of the balance of the credit card and £50 in my saving account for 'me'. Not sure what I'm going to use this for yet but I've decided to try and build a little fund up for me I hardly ever buy myself anything like clothes etc. and I think my straighteners are on the way out I've had them over 10 years so at the moment I'm going to try and save a little bit of 'me' money.

Still waiting for my £40 from one poll which will be allocated to the credit card too not sure how long that normally takes fingers crossed it drops in my account soon
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 9th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Home insurance is due for renewal this month. My renewal came through as £17.08/month I am currently paying £14.17 for buildings and contents. Managed to get this for £8.72/month. I went through TCB and should have got £21 cashback but currently tracking at £33.60 not sure why it's more but I won't be complaining if it clears at that.

Next thing to sort is Sky phone and broadband I'm out of contract and they messed my last couple of bills up ( added sports and movies without me asking twice!!) Think I'm going to cancel and see if they offer me a better deal. If not I might try and do without Sky and just shop around for phone and broadband seems to be lots of offers for new customers anyway so if I cancel and end up re-joining at a later date should still be better off.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 13th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    3 items listed on Ebay this morning as I had an email with an offer for 'sell for £1 max' per item that ended today so hopefully if these all sell it will be £77 before fees. Still waiting for my £40 to be paid from onepoll then I will have the total amount saved to pay off my credit card in full and clear this.

Busy weekend coming up so I need to spend as little as possible for the rest of the week.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 13th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Bye Bye @2
    So I've been on a 30 day sim only contract with @2 for a while. £17.22/month I've been looking around and managed to get a deal with plusnet for £7.50/month for 2GB data with 1000 minutes and unlimited texts. So a saving of £9.72 with double the amount of data!! It really frustrates me how you get nothing for being a loyal customer I've been with @2 for years but asked them if they could match the offer all they could offer was £12/month signed into a 12 month contract that was an exclusive deal not available on their website. Erm thanks but no thanks I'll change. So just ordered my new sim and got my PUC code, off to update my spreadsheet with the new monthly amount.
    In the last few weeks I've managed to get a better deal on my mortgage saving £33.82/ month, a cheaper renewal on my buildings and contents insurance saving £5.45/ month, and the £9.72/month I've just saved on my mobile, so for not a lot of work I've managed to save £48.99/ month so really pleased with that
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    As and when you balance in your Nationwide account reaches the 2.5k level remember you won't get any additional interest over that. Instead look at opening one of their "Regular saver" accounts that's linked to the Flexaccount you have - you can then "trickle" money across into there each month to maximise the interest you can get. It will take up to £500 a month but you can set the direct debt for a small amount and then manually move more over within your online banking or the app.

I moved from O2 to EE (who Plusnet piggyback off) a few years ago and haven't regretted it for a moment - far better service and reliability!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£324.14
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 13th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    Thanks EH I'll look into that. I think the regular savers pay interest at the end of the 12 month period rather than monthly but I already have 2.5k in that account so will have a look tonight.

Savings pots and savings towards debts totals so far

Emergency fund 2k - £2000 100%
    Parents 6k - £2325.17 38%
    House refurbishments fund 1.5k - £402.21 26%
    CC £892 - £852 95% (awaiting £40 from onepoll then complete)
    Me fund £500 - £52.14 10% (towards any clothes / haircut / trips)
    Coaching £225 - £144.59 64%

Next pots to think about

Christmas / Birthdays £500
    Save towards overdraft £1250 - I'm not actually in my overdraft I was at the bottom but I am 'holding' some of my pots in there so that I don't get charged if that makes sense.
    • kittykatneedscash
    • By kittykatneedscash 16th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    kittykatneedscash
    £40 onepoll has been paid money has gone over to my savings pot for my credit card balance I now have the full amount and this is effectively neutral. I was going to pay it off all in a lump sum but I've realised that I still have it at 0% for another 14 months so I will use what I have saved for the £30 a month standing order and keep the rest in a savings account for the time being.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 7th Apr 17, 5:22 AM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 3,408 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Hi KittyKat

Thanks for dropping by my diary and saying hello. It's good to meet you.

Your words of wisdom about renovating an old property arrived at just the right time, thanks for that. I'm glad your nana's house is working out for you. How big is the house? What have you had done already? It's a bit daunting when you're new to renovations. You've done so well!

I like what you're doing with your savings. I struggle between paying off debt (which I feel obligated to do) and putting savings in high interest accounts because the debt is all 0% so it makes more sense to do that. Mostly I just enjoy playing with the numbers.

I've subscribed and look forward to hearing how you're getting on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

2,779Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin