Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 8th Aug 16, 5:54 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion
    • 8th Aug 16, 5:54 PM
    0 WOW
    New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion 8th Aug 16 at 5:54 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Buying From China guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny
Page 4
    • grahamm
    • By grahamm 22nd Aug 17, 10:54 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    grahamm
    Be VERY careful if buying electrical goods from China, because they do not have the same standards of electrical safety.

Not only this, but they also put a "CE" mark on it which looks like the EU's safety approval, but which is actually a slightly modified copy (which they will claim stands for "Chinese Export" if questioned).

A friend who is very experienced in dealing with electrical goods has taken some of the cheap products (transformers, chargers etc) apart and found that they lack basic safety measures or proper insulation and, in the worst cases, can have components that could render the entire product electrically live with potentially lethal consequences!
    if i had known then what i know now
    • MagikGimp
    • By MagikGimp 28th Aug 17, 1:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MagikGimp
    Big clive chinese death
    ...Like several others here I ALWAYS try to buy British or european goods and only buy Chinese made items when it cannot be avoided...
    Originally posted by SueU
    Good point but with so much being made in China it's likely you won't realise you're still buying Chinese half the time.

Be VERY careful if buying electrical goods from China, because they do not have the same standards of electrical safety. ...
    Originally posted by grahamm
    What a great opportunity to point out Big Clive's many videos on this very topic. Searching for big clive chinese death is enough to give you a shock without you having to handle the stuff too!
    Last edited by MagikGimp; 28-08-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    • jogu
    • By jogu 8th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jogu
    I order loads from Aliexpress recently

https://!!!!!!!.com/ybuyrm7d Mobile phone - does everything i need quality spot on
    Originally posted by prenton01
    So you've tested it to make sure it meets the EU limits for the amount of electromagnetic radiation it pumps into your head whilst you're using it, and verified that the Li-ion batteries are correctly overload protected and vented? You're a lucky guy, not many people have access to the necessary level of knowledge and test equipment to do that.
    • luverlyjuberly
    • By luverlyjuberly 9th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    luverlyjuberly
    Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread but Topcashback website are offering 6% cashback when purchasing off Aliexpress.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/blog/highest-cashback-guarantee/
    From September 2008 - Wepromiseto £133.19, Greasypalm £46.16, Quidco £10.40, Cashback Kings £74.54. Vouchers £31.00. myhpf £21.03 Matchbetting £24.70 MORTGAGE FREE END OF JULY 2015 (YIPPEE!)
    • scrabbly
    • By scrabbly 12th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    scrabbly
    buying from China
    I have bought several items from China without any problem BUT don't buy clothes jewellery shoes etc. They are TINY. Rings won't fit on even little finger, couldn't get my arm in a jacket ( I'm size 12). Take special care because they obviously know theres a problem and give you measurements in ins or mm. NOTICE THEM !
    • muzzo
    • By muzzo 13th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    muzzo
    I use a site called banggood.com and find this no problem, I usually buy mobile phones and watches for other people as well as myself and to date I have only had 1 problem and that was for USB cables that could be used both ways and were cheaper than standard USB cables, I chucked mine away as they needed to be forced into the item being used and I thought this might damage the items, on HUKD's that ran this item the consensus was about 50/50 as to whether this was a good item.
    All the mobile phones I have purchased for people have been 100% accepted as better than any item you can get for about the £50 mark and are usually latest Android and dual sim. As said before the only problem is the 28 days delivery, which can sometimes be 14 days or more.
    Originally posted by soldierboy001
    Thank for the banggood website i love to purchased a gifts for my mother, and also i have found some discounts coupons sites which we can avail discounts by redeem the codes, here its is visit voucherpro.co.uk/banggood.com
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 13th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 12,398 Posts
    • 39,529 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Thank for the banggood website i love to purchased a gifts for my mother, and also i have found some discounts coupons sites which we can avail discounts by redeem the codes, here its is visit voucherpro.co.uk/banggood.com
    Originally posted by muzzo
    I would never use them again.

I placed one order that for some reason was then split into 4 different orders. One has been despatched and 3 are awaiting stock of one item per order even though they were in stock when I ordered.

Online chat has confirmed that they don't know when or if the items will be coming into stock so cant tell me if I will get my 3 orders !!!!

Shocking service so I have learnt the hard way.

Just about to do a Paypal dispute.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • sprocket1
    • By sprocket1 20th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sprocket1
    Do not rely on Ali Express dispute resolution service
    Just a warning not to rely on AliExpress's dispute resolution service. My complaint was rejected as "not valid" because I had not uploaded a video when I could see no requirement to upload a video and a video could not be relevant to my complaint.

I ordered a Li-ion battery charger to charge 9 Volt batteries (described as a "9V Li-ion NI-MH NI-CD 4 Slots Battery Charger". When it arrived, I tested the charger and it cut out when the Li-ion batteries reached 8 volts and would not charge them any further. It charged 9 volt Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd batteries to the full 9 volts. The leaflet with the charger said it was for Ni-Mh/Ni-CD batteries; it did not mention Li-ion batteries.

I asked the supplier to either send me a charger that worked with Li-ion batteries or send a refund. They replied that "this charger just can charge 9f66 and nimh rechargeable batteries ,the illustration of charger is clear". I replied that the order clearly described it as a Li-ion charger and uploaded an image of the order. The seller's AliExpress web-site also clearly described it as charging 9v li-ion batteries.

The dispute went to Ali-Express for resolution and they ruled my complaint invalid because I had not uploaded a video. I can not see any requirement in their procedures for a video to be uploaded and can not see how a video would have helped in this case. I have lodged an appeal but do not expect anything.

It only cost me $4.74 so I'll just have to put up with partly charged batteries.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin