Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 8th Aug 16, 1:57 PM
    • 1,058Posts
    • 5,588Thanks
    jackie_w
    0 WOW
    Where does everyone do their grocery shop
    • 8th Aug 16, 1:57 PM
    0 WOW
    Where does everyone do their grocery shop 8th Aug 16 at 1:57 PM
    Hi there

I currently shop at Asda but was thinking about trying Aldi, Lidl and Farmfood and probably Morrison and Sainsburys as I am lucky enough to that all these supermarkets are very close to me.

So I'm really just looking for people's opinions and what they would/wouldn't buy from the cheaper supermarkets.
Page 4
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 28th Aug 16, 7:18 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 5,130 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I shop mainly in Tesco and Morrisons, not out of choice that's all our market town has

Nearest others round trip, Aldi 12, Lidl 30, Sainsburys 30, Asda (very small branch) 30, Waitrose 30.

Just for fun Asda petrol 120

Fortunately we have a magnificent market, fabulous fish van (direct from Brixham), beautiful bakers and brilliant butchers in the town
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 28th Aug 16, 5:25 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Apart from 3? exceptions have to say that I'm left saddened by the lack of people supporting local shops/markets.

Fruit and veg is far cheaper in my experience from markets and local shops than the Supermakets. Take vine tomato's last time I looked Lidl/Aldi were selling at £2.20/kg, whereas the majors were up at around £2.40/kg. Couldn't find an independent charging more than £1.45/kg and best price was 0.79/kg.

As for my shopping habits I'm led by quality so you'll find me shopping at Dalston Kingsland/Walthamstow market for fruit and veg. I'm a total !!!!! when it comes to supermarket loyalty and just use the cheapest one at the time for store cupboard items which I bulk buy. Tesco was recently doing De Cecco Pasta at 77p so I "cough" bought a 'few' packets. Cheese is either Paxton & Whitfield or Neal's yard. Coffee, Algerian Coffee Stores. Fish, from Billingsgate but that's more to do with freshness and choice as the staples are only a bit cheaper than the multiples but premium fish are MUCH cheaper i.e monkfish. Meat I don't buy that much of but often bring it back from France on the Eurostar, chicken especially. The Sunday market at March! Bastille is a favourite and a 10 minute walk away Marche d'Aligre.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 28th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 9,551 Posts
    • 21,282 Thanks
    suki1964
    Apart from 3? exceptions have to say that I'm left saddened by the lack of people supporting local shops/markets.

Fruit and veg is far cheaper in my experience from markets and local shops than the Supermakets. Take vine tomato's last time I looked Lidl/Aldi were selling at £2.20/kg, whereas the majors were up at around £2.40/kg. Couldn't find an independent charging more than £1.45/kg and best price was 0.79/kg.

As for my shopping habits I'm led by quality so you'll find me shopping at Dalston Kingsland/Walthamstow market for fruit and veg. I'm a total !!!!! when it comes to supermarket loyalty and just use the cheapest one at the time for store cupboard items which I bulk buy. Tesco was recently doing De Cecco Pasta at 77p so I "cough" bought a 'few' packets. Cheese is either Paxton & Whitfield or Neal's yard. Coffee, Algerian Coffee Stores. Fish, from Billingsgate but that's more to do with freshness and choice as the staples are only a bit cheaper than the multiples but premium fish are MUCH cheaper i.e monkfish. Meat I don't buy that much of but often bring it back from France on the Eurostar, chicken especially. The Sunday market at March! Bastille is a favourite and a 10 minute walk away Marche d'Aligre.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    I would love to support a local market, unfortunately we don't have them

We have St Georges market in Belfast, Friday and Saturday mornings. A foodies haven, and prices to match add the cost of the journey, and the parking, and seriously it's just not worth the cost

Add to which with the weather here, so much produce is imported. My county is so wet only grass,cows and animal feeds are grown. We only have six counties. A lot of our staples are grown under cover, with that the cost increases. Even as a country famed for spuds, we import more then we grow

I miss London and the wealth and diversity of cheap food stuffs. However I've just had to learn to adapt. Thankfully lidl here uses NI producers as much as they can, if not Eire.

Thankfully I live near a Moy Park processing plant and I can buy chicken for pennies and do so. Son in law works pt in a meat processing plant and sometimes we hit lucky there as well
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Lucyxx
    • By Lucyxx 28th Aug 16, 9:47 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    Lucyxx
    We tried Aldi for a full shop almost for a laugh thinking it would be terrible (ours used to be rubbish for fresh fruit & veg) and saved so much money & it had improved massively in there, that we now use that for the majority of the weekly shop. I wish we had done it sooner!

I pop into Asda for vegan spread/yogurts/milk and microwave rice for work. Wholewheat pasta (never seen this in Aldi!) & nicer kale as the Aldi one always seemed to smell weird and as that is mostly for my bunnies I don't want to make them poorly!

Then Morrisons for washing liquid, better squash (Robinsons lemon barley water) and better crisps (the Aldi ones just taste of grease to me), frozen chargrilled veg and Linda McCartney sausage rolls & vegan ice cream for a treat!
    My "thanks" button doesn't always work (probably my way out of date ipads fault!) So thank you in advance if it looks like I haven't pressed yours. I've most likely tried to!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 29th Aug 16, 1:01 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    I would love to use a local butcher, baker and greengrocer but it doesn't help that they close their doors when I'm still at work. It also doesn't help that the town council charges for parking. The "market" has been reduced to a couple of stalls selling socks and pants.

Maybe if the shops opened late one or two days a week and there was 30-60 mins free parking then I would consider supporting them.
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 31st Aug 16, 4:54 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    My mother taught me ' Get the best quality you can for the cheapest possible price.' My food shopping habits are kinda complicated therefore.

On the quality bit I look for organic, free range and wild first and if not available, at least additive free.

With regard to prices, I shop offers like old European women shop markets. What we eat depends on what's on offer. If chicken is on offer, I stuff the freezer. If tinned wild salmon in is on offer, I stock up until husband us moaning about falling over tins of the stuff.

I don't have prejudices against food stores. In the past two months I have used Aldi, ASDA, B&M, Farmfoods, Lidl, Morrisons, Poundland, Poundstretcher, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose plus Ocado online.

I used to use a Polish shop and a halal shop locally for tahini, kefir, deli meats, coconut oil, stock cubes, herbs, spices, butter and sour cream. Unfortunately, both Polish shops and the halal shop have closed since the EU referendum.

We don't have a farmer's market but during the summer there's a local food stall in the market. But it's expensive, being aimed at Down From London tourists and I object to paying more for sprayed local stuff than I can get for organic in a supermarket I trust.
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 4th Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Found myself in a routine of doing a "big shop" from Ocado once a month on or just after payday. I buy heavy items, plus whatever special offer meat and fish I can get. I then will top up once or twice a week with fresh fruit and vegetables. No real loyalty, I use Aldi, Tesco or Morrisons depending on what exactly I want. My husband if he's cooking something and needs to buy ingredients then he goes to Morrisons. I'd say overall it's roughly 40% Ocado, 30% Morrisons, 15% Aldi and 15% Tesco
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • omidaverde
    • By omidaverde 9th Sep 16, 9:31 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    omidaverde
    Usually whatever is closest but now we live near a Sainsbury's and it's like 31p extra for pet food, 35p for orange juice, so we are going to do an online shop and get it delivered instead as all these extra pennies add up to £'s quite fast. Last time we used Asda but will likely use Tesco from now on as it's our preferred.
    • ohit
    • By ohit 15th Sep 16, 8:30 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    ohit
    Waitrose.
    Started toying with Amazon online deliveries for some packaged stuff - we're still investigating
    • Namaste37
    • By Namaste37 17th Sep 16, 2:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Namaste37
    We shop in Aldi every week and once a month I go to Tesco and stock up on Almond milk, gluten free products. If Aldi stocked gluten free bread, pasta and almond milk I would be very happy. I also buy toiletries once a month in Tesco or Asda as Aldi don't do the brands we like to use.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 17th Sep 16, 2:35 PM
    • 17,852 Posts
    • 45,149 Thanks
    duchy
    Aldi mostly as it's the closest and best value.
    I've never had a brand thing going on and Aldi's meat, veg and dairy are all excellent at my branch.

We did take a trip to Lidl and their fish was exceptionally good

Tesco I always spend too much time and money going around its vastness.

We also have a Co op and Sainsburys local which I use for bits between shops.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • benjus
    • By benjus 17th Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    benjus
    We're on the Kent side of outer London and shop all over the place.

We have an excellent local butcher and a farm shop for fruit, veg and dairy so we try to use those as much as possible, although they don't have the long opening hours of supermarkets. There's a great Waitrose near where I work so I sometimes pick up things there on the way home, or at the medium-size Co-op next to the local station. Our nearest big supermarket to home is Morrisons so we use that fairly often. Sometimes go to Lidl for basics.

We do sometimes use online shopping (usually Ocado) but aren't usually organised enough to plan in advance. We sometimes get large meat deliveries from Turner and George, but I'm not sure we'll bother now we've found the great local butcher.

Then we pop into our nearest Italian deli every few weeks to stock up on Italian essentials.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 25th Sep 16, 4:48 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    90% from Tescos, simply because it's my most convenient shop. It's an Extra, so lots of choice, easy to get to, and easy parking (important for a rubbish parker like me!)
    There is a Waitrose quite literally at the end of my road, but I rarely go there for anything more than the odd pint of milk, or if I suddenly find myself out of something I need that day.
    My town has a big Sainsburys, Asdas and Morrisons, but neither are close, or on my commute. I also have a few Aldis/Lidls in my town, but none are very convenient or local to me.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • juliafreitaslove
    • By juliafreitaslove 30th Sep 16, 6:51 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    juliafreitaslove
    Undoubtedly Aldi and ASDi are the renowned brands of Australia, I do prefer ALDI, simply because they still hold the crown of the cheapest supermarket in grocery domain, although they are some other good names too, likewise Coles and Woolworths but of course its a matter of choice. As per my knowledge, there is a threat somewhere around ALDI as germans have launched a brand with the name of LIDI in Australia as a competitor.
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 7th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    I think my shopping method could be seen as complicated but we eat well and save a lot of £

I look up special offers on supermarket websites for things I buy. I don't buy stuff just bc it's on offer.

Any offers I like go in a notebook under each supermarket with the date the offer expires, bc I may buy it twice. I tried doing it on my Kindle but a notebook looks less geeky and doesn't disappear if the battery drains.

Once maybe twice a month I do an Ocado shop, mostly stuff for the freezer on offer but also other offers.

When I go to supermarkets if it's in front of me at cheapest or same price I buy it and take off Ocado on the Go or cross off list.

Because I have a list, I can usually whizz round 3 supermarkets in 2 hrs even on a Friday night.

So yeah.. Aldi, ASDA, b&m, Farmfoods, Lidl, Morrisons, Ocado, Poundland, Poundstretcher, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Oct 16, 11:14 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 22,988 Thanks
    andygb
    We never shop online.
    We try to buy each day, and I will walk six miles round trip to get the stuff.
    We look for yellow ticket food, particularly meat which is still a good colour.
    Then we go to "international shops" for veg, fruit, herbs, spices and loose leaf tea (£2.49 - £2.99 for 500g).
    Aldi for other items, like soya milk, almonds, bottled water (we live in a hard water area, with lots of chlorine - don't like "swimming pool" tea), beers, wine.
    We use poundshops for toiletries etc.

I may start bin diving soon, but not sure how that will work out, as I don't like heights
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 10th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    artyclarty
    Generally I walk to the local tesco and lidl (20 mins each way) so can't carry much. So try to do shopping frequently and get some exercise. I also have a co-op that is a 5 minute walk away for when I'm feeling lazy, their reductions are quite good.

Once a fortnight take my classic car out for a run and tend to do a big shop over to aldi/iceland/b&m/home bargins/big tesco as they are all next to each other. When my partner's car needs diesel, generally once a month/every other month we saunter over to asda and look at reductions there (used to be our beer run too but they stopped stocking our favourite local beers) but apart from that, we don't really get much.

There is also a Sainsburys and M&S at the local out of town place that some weeks I go to instead of Aldi et al. Generally only go there if I have a good coupon for Sainsburys or have M&S vouchers or if I want to have a chat with some former colleagues at another food shop that I used to work at until I got transferred to another store (sorry, not allowed to mention which one though, but I do get a discount so the majority of my shopping comes from that particular chain ). Used to also go there for the Poundland and Poundstretcher but both of their leases were not renewed as they were going for the more upmarket retailers so I tend to go there for bits and bobs a lot less than I used to.

There is a Morrisons about 20 minute drive away. They do have a nice beer selection and great meat but have started charging for parking and the town's one way system is a nightmare!
    • JP08
    • By JP08 10th Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    JP08
    About once a month we trek up to the very nice farm shop north of Huntingdon (about a 30 mile round trip) and stock up on meat products. Prices come in somewhere between Tesco standard and Tesco finest but the quality / service and knowledge of the source is just far above the supermarkets. You can see the cows, and the venison, "on the hoof" from the carpark, and the turkeys from the teashop. They do such wonderful things as Black Fen or Guinness or Paddington (pork and marmalade) sausages, black treacle cured bacon, Barnsley chops cut to order, rib eye steak covering half a plate and an inch thick if you like etc. And a great cheese counter.

Veg is good value too - get onions and tatties by the sack, cauliflowers are local from the fens.

Free parking too. And you can peek at the crocodiles ...

The only thing missing there is a fish counter - we've got a Lidl (x2), Aldi, Tesco, Co-op (x2) and Waitrose in town. Waitrose is the only one with a good quality fish counter.

Top up and wherever's convenient for veg and milk etc - quite often the Tesco Express at the top of the road as it doesn't involve the car.

Gonna give the farm shop a shameless plug : http://www.johnsonsofoldhurst.co.uk/farm-shop
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 2nd Nov 16, 6:38 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 5,130 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We have Morrisons or Tesco to choose from plus a very small M & S. all the others are too far without making a special trip. We go to Waitrose as often as possible as we prefer their food.

We are lucky in having decent butchers, bakers and fish van for fresh stuff.
    • littlemissbossy
    • By littlemissbossy 21st Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    littlemissbossy
    I shop mainly at Aldi and Asda but I do have a Booths very near by.

Does anyone else regularly shop at Booths as I have been trying to figure out how their "yellow sticker" system works, I call in last thing but there is nothing on the reduced shelf.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,319Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter