Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Aug 16, 2:34 PM
    • 14,780Posts
    • 47,193Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy and the Power of Ten
    • 6th Aug 16, 2:34 PM
    Buffy and the Power of Ten 6th Aug 16 at 2:34 PM
    Hello folks

I have been saving for a while and have 7000ish in my ISA.

Bit of a false dawn however as I decided to borrow 5500 on a 0% credit to pay for teeth and garden......I know it isn't the MSE way and I could have borrowed it from my savings(and that is the point of savings) I just felt safer with an decent amount of money to use if things go wrong. I am still not sure about this as my "ISA" has a rubbish about of interest on it (0.25%). I current owe 4000* on the CC.

*in my drug induced stupor the other day I paid the wrong credit card! was 536 and 6 pence in credit to Tesco! I have had the money sent back now!

Aims of new diary.

1. 10,000 in savings account
    2. 3000 emergency/moving out fund
    3. No debt
    4. Run 5KM
    5. Run 10KM (I ran, not well but still, before I broke my ankle and it is well past time I got back to it.)
    6. Weigh 10 stone 10 pounds.
    7. Made 2000 pounds extra
    8. Finish decluttering (nearly there, been seriously at for a year now) and be minimalist!
    9. Travel to ten new places (here and abroad in the next ten months)
    10. Keep a journal and refocus on containing the depression. As in write down 5 things that have made me happy that day or five positives things, be thankful, be kind. Make sure I go out more.

Plan A
    Buy house up north (to rent out and eventually live in - near best friend)

Plan B
    Rent a flat down here.

Plan C
    Work abroad. (have to say, doesn't entirely appeal but a couple of friends have done it and it enabled them to buy property.)

Any how, starving so off to eat lunch.

Buffy XXX
    Saving all the money.............really I am !
Page 7
    • There Is a Light
    • By There Is a Light 26th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    There Is a Light
    It will be fine, you are fab xx
    "These things take time but I know that I'm the most inept that ever stepped"
    Save £12K in 2016 #150 £12858.59/£14200.00
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 28th Sep 16, 7:33 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    SO tired.

No idea what to have for dinner.

Was ill on Monday, yesterday and today have killed me. been asleep for about an hour. Can feel the infection in my tooth coming back

Having dinner with my friends tomorrow. I shall need to ring the doctor tho. And I have to go to bed early. NOT midnight.

thing is I have loads of work, do some of it want an "evening" but by the time I have worked, looked after the animals and done my one house work task (!) and got ready for tomorrow it is about 10. So then I put on a tv programme or two and suddenly it is really late.

Plus I am not getting home till late. SERIOUSLY need to rethink my lifestyle and approach to work.

need to cook dinner and sort for tomorrow and then go to bed at 10.30. tho I do have exams to mark.

XXXX
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 28th Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 16,445 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello Buffster

Firstly, like you, when we had some money a few years ago courtesy of an endowment payout, we frittered a fair bit of it away. This is normal - not sensible but normal.

Secondly, once you've done your "stuff" could you perhaps go to bed and watch your programmes in the hopes that you fall asleep.

Hope tooth is sorted soon. Please take care xx
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot £295.11
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 28th Sep 16, 11:40 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Didn't get any work done. House work all done lunch ready.

going to look at work for tomorrow. But documentary on the Ambulance Service is making me cry.

Life is so fragile.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 28th Sep 16, 11:41 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    oooo hello SA

Bet you are in bed now, excited for your holiday XXXXXXXXXXXX
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 5th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Not really been around much. Too much over thinking! and work going on.

I keep hearing the things my friend said - as in my head and getting annoyed and hurt. I haven't seen her since. I have spoken to her on chat. Just weird. Funny how two things - my friend getting a divorce and this thing with my friend really have made me think. I mean. I don't actively look to date because my past experiences have taught me that it ends in pain (and yes I know it doesn't have to) or at least disappointment, not because it "has to" but I really feel it wasn't for me, I was a rubbish judge of character and just thought I would rather be on my own. But recently it has felt like anything can happen - in terrible ways and then logically in good ways too? crazy.

Also I told my sister I was getting the neighbour in to garden and HEY PRESTO they came round to garden ! not the normal cutting of the grass but also a bush has been hacked. marking their territory.

I was LIVID at work when I read the e mail. had to tutor, but when I came home I walked the dogs at a furious speed and felt better.

Essentially, i am going to still get the neighbour in. And get the gardener as planned. I refuse to have them stop me again. just need to get it done and stop !!!!ing about.

In other news the tiler is coming round to give me a price. The bathroom will be fitted for about 3000. (2700).

My ISA matures on the 10th and I will use that to pay (Mum will pay me back half). The rabbit shed is getting nearer to being ready. I have two free weekends to go to the dump, the charity shop and be around to sell stuff on FB or Gum tree.

During half term I intend to clear and have one shed removed, plus finish the pond. Also the gardener will do the front garden and lay a small patio (!) for the bins.

I hope and expect to find lots to sell and declutter that week. It might be tricky with the bathroom people in but I have to crack on. I really want to have the house and animals sorted out once and for all.

Once all that is done I will be back on the Savings. Overall I have about 9000 (including my 2000 emergency found) pounds in savings. I am expecting to spend about 4000 pounds of it( although will get 1500 back from the bathroom). I am still going backwards and forwards re paying off the CC (3000) I am supposed to get a tax rebate off 2977 which could just pay it off....and get me back on the savings wagon.

Once the work on the house is done and I know where I am moneywise I need to think about this FIRE situation. That becomes my next aim.

freezing cold. Going to give in and put the heating on.

Love Buffy XXX
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 5th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Heating is a lovely thing. I am so lucky to be able to just put it on. The dog walk tonight was the first one when I felt seriously cold. So the search for the winter coat begins along with the boots.......

It is funny, I feel all shook up about a lot of things right now but also weirdly ok. Like things are moving on. My job is ok in that it I no longer feel it is the be all and end all. My relationship with Mum is good, I have some very good and dear friends. Just got to push through the bad days.

XXX
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 16,445 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello Buffster - just catching up with your diary and pleased to hear you sound a bit more positive than you did before and that you have some new plans in place. I really need to get my a$$ in gear with my home improvement plans.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 15th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Good evening debt busters,

I had a total of 7244 in the ISA and a 2977 tax rebate.

Well I paid off the CCs, 3000 to Halifax, 800 to Tescos. So I now have

4000 in my current account and 3135 in Barclays. ( i had some savings in there already)

in my other current account I have 1280. I used my emergency fund to pay off my tescos card.

Essentially I will use the 4000 for the bathroom. I still need to book a skip, I really wanted to tear down a shed.....and replace it with a summer house........

Mind you I have a migraine just now so best not make any rash decisions Feel mangled.

any how that is my news.

XXXX
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    It's all sounding positive but did you ever get legal advice re the house? In addition to overpaying board and lodgings, you're also committing a lot to home improvements. You need to safeguard your position.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 16,445 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm thinking the same as INOD. If you're spending all this money on improvements where do you stand if (God forbid) anything happened to your mum?
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 22nd Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Morning. Made it to half term. miracle.

re the house, it is tough, but I can't carry on with a black mouldy ceiling in the bathroom and a leak into the kitchen, it has been like it for years and Mum wont do it. And she will pay me half. So I will take the hit.

Neighbour has done the garden. looks AMAZING. I feel sad that I didn't do it, as really I would have liked to know I had done it but I have to be realistic, I am working two jobs and it sucks. I am making the best of it by getting things done the best way I can.

So work has been horrible, hence my absence from here. Just all too much and yet AGAIN I am behind in my marking. makes me feel sick thinking about it. We have a scrutiny after the holidays and I know I will get done. The one saving grace is that I am not teaching when they are observing, although clearly they could change that at any point. It is ten days away and you would not believe how stressed I am sitting here.

Anyhow. get paid this week and have managed to save my tutoring money so that is good.

need to get a move on as am returning clothes, parcels and alsorts today.

XXXX
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 23rd Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    hey you, no one is suggesting that the work doesn't need to get done, we are just concerned that you may be disadvantaged in the longer term if you don't seek proper advice now. as for the scrutiny, don't be stressing. instead focus on what suggestions you could make for improvements. i always love it when someone does my job for me and yes, i am one of those horrible people, thankfully not in education.

hope you got all the returns done. take care
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 44,866 Posts
    • 155,455 Thanks
    beanielou
    Dident realise that you had this diary Buffster.
    Keep plodding & happy half term xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • There Is a Light
    • By There Is a Light 24th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    There Is a Light
    Chin up chucky egg xxx
    "These things take time but I know that I'm the most inept that ever stepped"
    Save £12K in 2016 #150 £12858.59/£14200.00
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 16,445 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Buffy have you ever considered a change of career? If you're not happy with teaching anymore. I work in Civil Service, we have loads of ex teachers here (although we have had some leave to teach too). Less stressful (most of the time). They're recruiting if you're interested look on Civil Service Jobs site - just a thought.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 29th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    hello all

totally think about changing career all the time SA! will look into it.

Week off has been very difficult. Plumber and Decorator who are both lovely have been here all week, kitchen looks brilliant, so clean! (had it repainted) tiler comes on Monday.

However the big problem has been my neighbour. We have argued about every single step of building the pond. I had it all planned out but he just wouldn't listen so in the end I told him just to dig the hole and be done with it. He has been over every day. Utter nightmare. Had a migraine from Thursday onwards.

house is a tip and I have a tonne of work to do and six tonnes of clay to do something with.

Very stressed.

XXXX
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 16,445 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Why is your neighbour poking his nose in your pond business? Or is he building it for you? Glad you're pleased with kitchen, sounds fab.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Nov 16, 12:23 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Why is your neighbour poking his nose in your pond business? Or is he building it for you? Glad you're pleased with kitchen, sounds fab.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict

Well.............When I first got the sleepers he offered to help me build the pond.

Now, as I understood it this meant cutting the sleepers (which apparently I couldn't do) and helping dig the hole.

What actually happened was he ignored everything I said, we argued about painting the sleepers, he set about levelling the ground (3 days, some pointless cementing), talked a lot about nailing the sleepers together(NO!) and argued with me about using sleeper screws. Then he was going to cut the sleepers and we argued about that as well.

And when I say argued I mean full on aggressively shouting and ignoring me, I use every behaviour management technique I know and generally it was managed - he would come back the next day
    and apologise and it was ok.

Well no it wasn't! I avoided going out in the garden and refused to let him cut the sleepers. He insisted on coming round every day in half term and it was awful!

The final straw was that he couldn't deal with my keeping the clay and earth from the hole.

I can't afford to pay someone to move it, getting a skip is hard cause of where we live and so I was all set to put it in raised beds at the back of the garden.

This was something he couldn't countenance at all. He shouted at me for it both days last weekend! I calmly explained that it was not his problem. So he has deliberately left it in the most awkward place possible in the garden, effectively blocking access to the back of the garden and making it way harder than it should be to move it. This last argument was the final straw and I told him I no longer needed his help.

The end result is I have a 3 foot hole in my garden, no sleepers and no actual pond. He banged on the door yesterday to ask if he could measure the pond, as if nothing bad had ever happened. We had another row as I (obviously) said no. He slammed the gate which has somewhat dislodged the gate post.

just going to post this (feel so much better for getting that off my chest!)
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Nov 16, 12:24 PM
    • 14,780 Posts
    • 47,193 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    And I paying him by the way - forgot that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,345Posts Today

7,862Users online

Martin's Twitter