Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 5th Aug 16, 5:41 PM
    • 6,565Posts
    • 4,752Thanks
    Jo4
    Parking Eye - Parking Notice Charge for parking in Aldi, Bangor
    • 5th Aug 16, 5:41 PM
    Parking Eye - Parking Notice Charge for parking in Aldi, Bangor 5th Aug 16 at 5:41 PM
    I read this link which hasn't been updated since 4th August 2014 but I don't know what to do, http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2014/08/dont-pay-unfair-private-parking-tickets.

Hubby & I were on our way to get the ferry home last week to Northern Ireland when my blood glucose dropped suddenly and as a result I needed to get something to eat to put it up again. We stopped at the first place we could which was in Aldi in Bangor. When my blood glucose returned to normal levels we continued our journey to the ferry and just made it in time. However we have now received a "Parking Notice Charge" from Parking Eye informing us that we should have entered our details in a terminal inside Aldi but we don't do this in Northern Ireland, we didn't know we had to as we didn't notice it on the sign and we didn't see the terminal either. It states "By remaining at the car park for longer than was permitted in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage, the Parking Charge is now payable to Parking Eye Ltd as the Creditor)".

The fine is £40 if paid within 14 days of the date issued: 12/08/2016 and after this date £70 will have to be paid. We have never had anything like this before and I was wondering how should we proceed, should we pay the £40? Will this affect our credit files?
    Aiming for 18 NSDs in November 2016 - 9 / 14
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18; May - 23; June - 19; July (Holidays) - 8; August - 21; September - 22; October - 18
Page 7
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 16th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    pappa golf
    4 The Operator has written authority from the Landholder to undertake parking management, control and enforcement at this site, under contract.

5 The Operator had authority to issue a Parking Charge for the Parking Event dated 25 July 2016, under this written agreement.

6 The Operator is authorised by the Landholder to issue parking charge notices where vehicles are parked on the site in a manner not permitted under the terms and conditions of parking.

but , do they have aldi,s permission to instigate court action?

not seen or heard of any aldi/PE cases in court , and if they wish to proceed , I think its going to cost them too much as you are in NI
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 16th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    This section contains a "Whitelist Lookup" of our vehicle registration which states "No results". I have never heard of a "Whitelist Lookup" before now and I do not know if it is supposed to contain any results?!?!

It also contains a Witness Statement,

"On behalf of Aldi Stores Limited I confirm that:

1 The site is ALDI Bangor.

2 The Landholder is Aldi Stores Limited, who has a proprietary interest in this site.

3 The Operator is ParkingEye Ltd.

4 The Operator has written authority from the Landholder to undertake parking management, control and enforcement at this site, under contract.

5 The Operator had authority to issue a Parking Charge for the Parking Event dated 25 July 2016, under this written agreement.

6 The Operator is authorised by the Landholder to issue parking charge notices where vehicles are parked on the site in a manner not permitted under the terms and conditions of parking.

7 The terms and conditions are as clearly set out on signage at the site and, where applicable, with any permit or dispensation for use at the site.

8 The issue of parking charge notices is subject to the agreed criteria and exemptions, as clearly set out on signage at the site and, where applicable, with any permit or dispensation for use at the site.

9 The Operator is authorised to issue a parking charge notice for breach of any of the terms and conditions referred to above.

10 The Operator is authorised by the Landholder to pursue the outstanding parking charges in accordance with the British Parking Association Approved Operator Scheme Code of Practice.

I confirm that I am authorised to make this statement on behalf of the Landholder and that the above information is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signature:

Name:

Position:

For and on behalf of Aldi Stores Limited

Date:"
    Originally posted by Jo4
    This is dated 6/10/16
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18; May - 23; June - 19; July (Holidays) - 8; August - 21; September - 22; October - 18
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 16th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4

but , do they have aldi,s permission to instigate court action?

not seen or heard of any aldi/PE cases in court , and if they wish to proceed , I think its going to cost them too much as you are in NI
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Thanks!!

I didn't see it on the document but I thought I might have missed it and someone would notice what I missed hence all the posts.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 16th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    pappa golf
    no mention of the contract saying they can (will aldi,s blessing) start court action , it says they can issue tickets , but their does not seem to be any aldi/PE cases gone to court , one wonders if aldi do not allow court proceedings in their name
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 16th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    no mention of the contract saying they can (will aldi,s blessing) start court action , it says they can issue tickets , but their does not seem to be any aldi/PE cases gone to court , one wonders if aldi do not allow court proceedings in their name
    I don't know.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 16th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    pappa golf
    run it thru , do the best POPLa appeal you can

PE will probably back down (and save £27) before the appeal , even if you loose , it could be expensive for PE to get the £100 , solisitors costs and legal paperwork would cost them many hundreds of pounds , which they cannot recoup from you ,

at this stage they are still bluffing , bluffing on many things
    • Castle
    • By Castle 16th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Castle
    Another question is; why do the Witness statement keep referring to themselves as the landholder; but never mentions the landowner?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 40,623 Posts
    • 52,493 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I have been unwell again and I have to get this sorted today. They emailed on the evening of Monday 10th October so does that mean I have until lunch time on Monday 17th October to respond?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    No. You have to respond today. POPLA are narky about the seven days. Please don't drop this ball.

This section contains a "Whitelist Lookup" of our vehicle registration which states "No results". I have never heard of a "Whitelist Lookup" before now and I do not know if it is supposed to contain any results?!?!
    A whitelist look-up shows cars registered as exempt (like staff cars). So it would often be blank if no cars are exempt.

Concentrate your SHORT reply to POPLA today, on:

- signs. Count how many DO NOT have the £70 on them. Point that out to POPLA without saying who was driving (IMHO over half the signs do not mention £70 in most Aldi car parks so it is perfectly possible to park without ever reading about or agreeing to £70 as a charge). Say that!

- Look at how dark the corner is showing the keypad inside Aldi, nowhere near the tills and the driver was NOT told about it. Point that out to POPLA - that it is far from 'prominent' being a vital term - and also say that the keypad comes too late to be incorporated into the vague contract on most signs which tells a reasonable person that Aldi customers can park for free for 1.5 hrs (or whatever). Most signs in the car park are silent about the 'keypad' or the need to enter a VRN so there is no 'relevant obligation' (POFA 2012 requirement) transparently established.

- Point out that a White List look-up is merely a list of exempt cars (e.g. staff cars), not a list of those who went to the keypad! Do they appear to have forgotten to show the right list?! Say so, if PE did not show a list of actual (partial) car VRNs who did put their details in, then they appear to have shown the wrong list and no evidence that the driver didn't put their VRN in.

- you should mention that Aldi/Walmart DO NOT allow ParkingEye to sue customers, which is why PE have withheld the contract and only submitted a witness statement. Say that you are aware that POPLA sometimes accept such statements in lieu of the contract, but this one does not meet the requirements of 7.3 of the BPA CoP. In particular, this witness statement neither identifies the car or parking event (there was very obviously NOT just one car caught there on 25 July 2016 because ParkingEye 'farm' car parks with dozens of victims, day in day out and make no money otherwise!) nor does it say that the operator can pursue people 'in the courts if necessary'. Because they can't, with Aldi contracts! Say so, POPLA will not know.

- Remind them that the keeper lives in NI so cannot be held to the POFA 2012 which does not apply in NI, and that PE have shown no evidence that the appellant was the person who could be held liable (driver only).*

* A NI poster lost a POPLA appeal last week and is now ignoring the charge of course. A keeper can't be held liable so this is no big deal you know, even if lost. POPLA means nothing in your case, you are NOT liable.

I did tell you in post #18 that you CAN cheerfully ignore this as long as the driver is not given away!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-10-2016 at 5:30 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 40,623 Posts
    • 52,493 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    run it thru , do the best POPLa appeal you can

PE will probably back down (and save £27) before the appeal , even if you loose , it could be expensive for PE to get the £100 , solisitors costs and legal paperwork would cost them many hundreds of pounds , which they cannot recoup from you ,

at this stage they are still bluffing , bluffing on many things
    She's at rebuttal of evidence pack stage and PE won't back down now, not that it matters as she is in NI!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Jo4
    • By Jo4 16th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    No. You have to respond today. POPLA are narky about the seven days. Please don't drop this ball.

A whitelist look-up shows cars registered as exempt (like staff cars). So it would often be blank if no cars are exempt.

- signs. Count how many DO NOT have the £70 on them. Point that out to POPLA without saying who was driving (IMHO over half the signs do not mention £70 in most Aldi car parks so it is perfectly possible to park without ever reading about or agreeing to £70 as a charge). Say that!

- Look at how dark the corner is showing the keypad inside Aldi, nowhere near the tills and the driver was NOT told about it. Point that out to POPLA - that it is far from 'prominent' being a vital term - and also say that the keypad comes too late to be incorporated into the vague contract on most signs which tells a reasonable person that Aldi customers can park for free for 1.5 hrs (or whatever). Most signs in the car park are silent about the 'keypad' or the need to enter a VRN so there is no 'relevant obligation' (POFA 2012 requirement) transparently established.

- Point out that a White List look-up is merely a list of exempt cars (e.g. staff cars), not a list of those who went to the keypad! Do they appear to have forgotten to show the right list?! Say so, if PE did not show a list of actual (partial) car VRNs who did put their details in, then they appear to have shown the wrong list and no evidence that the driver didn't put their VRN in.

- you should mention that Aldi/Walmart DO NOT allow ParkingEye to sue customers, which is why PE have withheld the contract and only submitted a witness statement. Say that you are aware that POPLA sometimes accept such statements in lieu of the contract, but this one does not meet the requirements of 7.3 of the BPA CoP. In particular, this witness statement neither identifies the car or parking event (there was very obviously NOT just one car caught there on 25 July 2016 because ParkingEye 'farm' car parks with dozens of victims, day in day out and make no money otherwise!) nor does it say that the operator can pursue people 'in the courts if necessary'. Because they can't, with Aldi contracts! Say so, POPLA will not know.

- Remind them that the keeper lives in NI so cannot be held to the POFA 2012 which does not apply in NI, and that PE have shown no evidence that the appellant was the person who could be held liable (driver only).*

* A NI poster lost a POPLA appeal last week and is now ignoring the charge of course. A keeper can't be held liable so this is no big deal you know, even if lost. POPLA means nothing in your case, you are NOT liable.

I did tell you in post #18 that you CAN cheerfully ignore this as long as the driver is not given away!
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Thank you for your help! I have a few points made but will combine them with yours.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 16th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4

Originally posted by Coupon-mad

There are apparently 13 signs, 8 in English and 5 in Welsh according to PE's evidence. 7 of the 8 signs in English apparently state the £70 charge.

They did not include any photograph of the keypad inside Aldi.

There isn't a single entry in the white list.

I know you said we could ignore it but this is added stress to my health which isn't the best any way and the thought of these letters constantly arriving doesn't help.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 16th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    Am I supposed to actually state "there was very obviously NOT just one car caught there on 25 July 2016 because ParkingEye 'farm' car parks with dozens of victims, day in day out and make no money otherwise!)"?
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 17th Oct 16, 12:34 AM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    We only had 2,000 characters so we were as concise as we could be but yet tried to get our points across.

I will update here when we get a response but I hope they don't keep us waiting too long.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 14th Nov 16, 2:12 AM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    Unsuccessful
    We received the following response 2 weeks ago, on Monday 31st October 2016, but due to my Mum being rushed into hospital the night before I didn't get a change to go online,

Decision
    Unsuccessful

Assessor Name
    Daniel Kelley

Assessor summary of operator case
    The operator’s case is that the appellant remained on site for longer than permitted.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant’s case is that the operator does not have the authority to issue Parking Charge Notices (PCN). The appellant state the operator has not complied with Protection of Freedoms Act (PoFA) 2012. The appellant has advised that PoFA 2012 does not apply to registered keepers in Northern Ireland. The appellant has stated the signage on site is unclear and inadequate.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    After reviewing the evidence provided by both parties, I am not satisfied that the driver of the vehicle has been identified. The operator is therefore pursuing the registered keeper of the vehicle in this instance. For the operator to transfer liability for unpaid parking charges from the driver of the vehicle to the registered keeper of the vehicle, the regulations laid out in the PoFA 2012 must be adhered to. The operator has provided a copy of the Notice to Keeper sent. As the driver of the vehicle has not been identified, the Notice to Keeper will need to comply with section 9 of PoFA 2012. Having reviewed the evidence provided by the operator, I am satisfied that the Notice to Keeper has complied with the requirements of PoFA 2012. Therefore, I am satisfied that the operator can transfer the liability for the unpaid parking charge to the registered keeper of the vehicle. The appellant has advised that PoFA 2012 does not apply to registered keepers in Northern Ireland. However, the contravention happened in Wales and I am satisfied the operator can transfer liability to the keeper. The appellant has questioned the operator’s authority in issuing PCNs. Section 7.1 of the BPA Code of Practice informs parking operators that “if you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the landowner (or their appointed agent). The written confirmation must be given before you can start operating on the land in question and give you authority to carry out all aspects of car park management for the site you are responsible for. In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges.” The operator has provided a copy of the contract between itself and the landowner, which I am satisfied meets the minimum requirements set out by the BPA Code of Practice. The appellant has stated the signage on site is unclear and inadequate. The British Parking Association Code of Practice under, section 18.1 states, “In all cases, the driver’s use of your land will be governed by your terms and conditions, which the driver should be made aware of from the start. You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are. The operator has provided me with photographic evidence of the signage located around the site in question. I am satisfied that this signage, displayed throughout the car park, clearly states the terms and conditions of the site. As such I am satisfied that appellant had the opportunity to read and understand the terms and conditions before agreeing to the contract. The signage states, “By entering this private car park, you consent, for the purpose of car park management to: the capturing of photographs of the vehicle and registration by the ANPR cameras … Furthermore, you consent to the processing of this data to request registered keeper details from the DVLA where the parking contract is not adhered to.” From the evidence provided to me by the operator and the appellant, it is clear that the operator has complied with section 18 “Signs” of British Parking Association Code of Practice. I note the appellant has raised new grounds for appeal in the comments he has provided on receipt of the operator’s evidence, however when we invited the appellant to make comments about the operator’s case file, this was not an opportunity for him to raise new grounds for appeal or provide any new evidence. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure that when they enter a car park, they have understood the terms and conditions of parking. If the appellant was in disagreement with the terms and conditions of the site or felt that the terms and conditions of the site could not be complied with, there would have been sufficient time to leave the site without entering into a contract with the operator. By remaining parked on site, the appellant accepted the terms and conditions. On this occasion, the appellant has failed to follow the terms and conditions of the signage at the site and as such, I conclude that the operator issued the Parking Charge Notice correctly.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Nov 16, 8:43 AM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 4,272 Thanks
    The Deep
    All that time, all that money, what a waste, and for what.

PE are unlikely to recoup a penny of their claim, they are unlikely to be able to go to court, Diabetes UK will probably make a stink, and Aldi will come out of it with egg on the faces.

I believe that, if the OP has a restricted licence due to his diabetes,and was the driver, had she have driven away in time s he may have been breaking the law anyway until her blood sugar level was stabilised.
    Last edited by The Deep; 14-11-2016 at 8:45 AM.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 14th Nov 16, 8:48 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 2,374 Thanks
    fisherjim
    The appellant has advised that PoFA 2012 does not apply to registered keepers in Northern Ireland. However, the contravention happened in Wales and I am satisfied the operator can transfer liability to the keeper.

Really? Good luck with that one then Parking Lie!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 14th Nov 16, 8:57 AM
    • 36,481 Posts
    • 73,324 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Jo4, you are now in ignore mode. Do not respond to anything at all from parking lie, or debt collectors.
    In the very unlikely event that you get court papers issued for a NI court, please come back and let us know, otherwise get on with your life and enjoy it knowing that you have cost parking lie money.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 14-11-2016 at 1:28 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • SevenTowers
    • By SevenTowers 14th Nov 16, 9:31 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    SevenTowers
    Jo,
    As per everyone else's comments just ignore every demand you receive for payment, nobody in N. Ireland has ever had a parking charge taken to court, so join the tens of thousands of us in NI who are blissfully ignoring parking companies ridiculous demands for payments.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797).
    • Castle
    • By Castle 14th Nov 16, 9:50 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Castle
    The appellant has advised that PoFA 2012 does not apply to registered keepers in Northern Ireland. However, the contravention happened in Wales and I am satisfied the operator can transfer liability to the keeper.

Really? Good luck with that one then Parking Lie!
    Originally posted by fisherjim
    The car park was in Wales so they can transfer liability, but any court case will have to be held in Northern Ireland. The problem for parking lie is that no Northern Ireland court has the authority to hear the case.
    • happybagger
    • By happybagger 16th Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    happybagger
    I shall follow this with interst and see what automated stuff comes out.
    This is the same store as my PCN with incorrect timestamping.

I don't know how long this store will persist with ParkingEye, there is a council multistorey car park on the adjacent plot just 10 yards from their building which is completely free and has been since 2 Jan 2015.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter