Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 7,918Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 41
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 25th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 58,629 Thanks
    hdh74
    ignore...........
    Last edited by hdh74; 25-11-2017 at 5:20 PM.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 28th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Something to do with a house fire. Shame, mind, but who thinks to take a piccy of a melted washing machine to win a prize? Its original anyway.
    Be Lucky.
    Originally posted by dontone
    She Won!
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 28th Nov 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,390 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Some folk are even posting their own sob stories and are asking if they can get likes too.
    I really don't know what to say.
    Be Lucky.
    Somebody's a bit bitter/inappropriately sarcastic replying re the grandson who's dad died :
    " I been shot and lost both my kids and my dad I had a car crash yesterday on the ice road and now I’m in hospital with no family alive. Do I get any likes ????"

eta: also posted (by somebody else) "Is this a x factor audition?"
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 28th Nov 17, 10:47 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,390 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Possibly one of us, or just sick of it all:

"Oh here we go again with the sob stories. Pathetic. Just tag someone like this: <name> there you go, job done. If the selection is random, why do you think you have to roll out tales of woe of your deepest private lives. Do you think a) it will help you win? (er, random, NO) or b) anyone particularly cares (most probably think you've made it up anyway). However, just in case.....OMG, OMG this would be amazing to win and just at the right time since I just recently died from being hit by a meteorite, my little dog was tragically abducted by aliens and is now just a head in a jar on Alpha Centauri, and my house was eaten alive by bol weevils. My homeless family who are all suffering from wasting terminal illnesses would really be cheered up until, of course, the End of the World which will happen two weeks after the end of this competition."

In a game of spoof sob story top trumps which would win: your newt having shingles, your Dalmatian having spots
    or your house being eaten alive by bol weevils? (poor house).
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 28th Nov 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,390 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Oh god, on the perfume shop's next post somebody's got a bit lost and posted "Liked and shared fabulous prize for my for me <name> "
    eta: oh and they tagged themselves.
    Next person: "It's not a give away. It's a sales add."

Two more annoyed/not taking it seriously replies (to the woman mentioning cancer and autism)
    " It makes me not so much angry but more disgusted that you think that you need to throw out your most intimate personal details to the world in order to win a competition. Have you no shame? Everyone has their troubles but I have absolutely no desire to share mine on social media, particularly for trivial ends. If you want real friends to talk to, go out and find some, because on these forums you cannot choose who sees your comments or responds to them. Some may sympathise (and believe you are telling the truth), others may not."

"My cat has a cough, I've lost my nail clippers and I lost a fiver 3 years ago. To top it off I've just ran out of my fave after shave so I need this more than you!"

-
    People have carried on replying tagging people after the company declaired it closed and announced the winner!
    Last edited by Jenna Appleseed; 28-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 30th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 11,839 Thanks
    dontone
    Had a sob story break, & been away for a couple of days, and am now ready (somewhat) to face the advent calendar sob story bonanza that is going to be hitting us in a matter of hours*
    So do your worst, lied, loved dreamed, soup lady, the Michigan couple and the Newt/Dalmation owners. I'm ready for ya.
    Be lucky

*Btw, Where has this year gone?
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 30th Nov 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Had a sob story break, & been away for a couple of days, and am now ready (somewhat) to face the advent calendar sob story bonanza that is going to be hitting us in a matter of hours*
    So do your worst, lied, loved dreamed, soup lady, the Michigan couple and the Newt/Dalmation owners. I'm ready for ya.
    Be lucky

*Btw, Where has this year gone?

The year has flown by hasn't it! I'm getting old too fast. It's gonna be a real sob fest isn't it? A terrible part of me is dying to know what stories they cook up In an attempt to win something. Keyboards and coffee/tea at the ready folks, not long to go! ( just not coffee/tea on the keyboard, that would be a sob story)
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 1st Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 3,481 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I've seen a sob fest on pet prescription voting competition this month, a sick dog was entered by it's devoted owner , it didn't get anywhere near enough votes to get into the final 12 and get featured in the calendar .Dog very sadly died and owners friends messaged into the page to beg for her to be included. Obviously that wouldn't be fair, so the page posted her photo on their Facebook page as a tribute instead, making it clear she wasn't in the final 12. Underneath the photo all the friends are commenting and sobbing asking why she can't be in it etc, but one has even posted a photo of some candles for crying out loud ! It's good that they care and are supportive of their friend ,but to try and put pressure on like that is disgusting
    Last edited by carriebradshaw; 01-12-2017 at 8:56 AM.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 1st Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Spotted: The dad from the "Son married in Michigan" duo!
    • taxiphil
    • By taxiphil 1st Dec 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    taxiphil
    I had a stab at a few of the advents on FB today with typical light-hearted questions, e.g. 'tell us what you like about Christmas' or 'what you'll be doing for Christmas', etc.

Among the highlights I spotted in the comments were:

Aspergers, leukaemia, house fire, car accident, ADHD, autism (plus the obligatory 'sensory needs'), domestic violence, stillbirth, fell off scaffolding at work, harrassed by a manager at work, epilepsy.

There also seems to be a growing trend of people commenting that they've given all their previous prizes to charity and will also donate this one if they win.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 2nd Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I had a stab at a few of the advents on FB today with typical light-hearted questions, e.g. 'tell us what you like about Christmas' or 'what you'll be doing for Christmas', etc.

Among the highlights I spotted in the comments were:

Aspergers, leukaemia, house fire, car accident, ADHD, autism (plus the obligatory 'sensory needs'), domestic violence, stillbirth, fell off scaffolding at work, harrassed by a manager at work, epilepsy.

There also seems to be a growing trend of people commenting that they've given all their previous prizes to charity and will also donate this one if they win.
    Originally posted by taxiphil
    The charity comments annoy really annoy me. Too tight to donate something themselves?/ chances are they don't donate at all but use it as a ploy just to try and win/enjoy people knowing they are "Kind"? What happened to being humble? -it comes off as insincere. I hate it even more when they try and shame/bully companies into donating.
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring boo&pencils&:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper:Scarf
    • lovelyx
    • By lovelyx 2nd Dec 17, 4:00 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    lovelyx
    I've noticed people saying they'll donate prizes to charity. On one of the cat food advents loads of people have commented with 'If I won this I'd donate it to <blah> Animal Rescue because they do amazing work and this would really help feed their 6 million cats' type comments. Forgetting in the process that you have to add a certain hashtag to enter. *eye roll*
    Best wins: £500 shopping vouchers, £500 Princesse Tam Tam vouchers, £50 HMV vouchers, £50 cash, video camera
    • EnglishWelshie
    • By EnglishWelshie 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 11,992 Thanks
    EnglishWelshie
    Spotted: The dad from the "Son married in Michigan" duo!
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    I've just spotted mum, dad and son on Jaques Vert and to me it looks like it is just the one person entering on 3 accounts as even though worded differently they are all typed out similarly with the space in between sentences.
    • mansey
    • By mansey 2nd Dec 17, 11:50 PM
    • 3,400 Posts
    • 11,788 Thanks
    mansey
    And this is EXACTLY why I am totally ignoring Face Book for the whole of December
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I've just spotted mum, dad and son on Jaques Vert and to me it looks like it is just the one person entering on 3 accounts as even though worded differently they are all typed out similarly with the space in between sentences.
    Originally posted by EnglishWelshie
    they do look rather similar.
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring boo&pencils&:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper:Scarf
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 5th Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 3,481 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    just spotted someone using a photo of an x ray of their dog's tummy, he's just had an operation to remove something so he'd love to win the dog food hamper!

oh yes and something else I saw on advents, someone saying their daughter in law would love to win a scarf for her horse,posting piccy of horse, to which page owner replied : "it's for humans" and so she said sorry I was half asleep I mean for my daughter .Except that account used to enter IS the daughter/daughter in law, she doesn't have a daughter of her own or step daughter, only a son who is still at school!
    Last edited by carriebradshaw; 05-12-2017 at 9:37 AM.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 6th Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Someone using a picture of their cannula "having a rubbish day" on Interflora TW, when it just says RT & follow.
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 7th Dec 17, 3:10 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,390 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    not quite sob stories but spotted a comp pointing out you don't need to comment, tag friends or share/retweet to enter just name & email via a form.
    Last edited by Jenna Appleseed; 07-12-2017 at 3:27 AM.
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 7th Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,390 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Haven't spotted any sob stories but on the bonbon buddies advent calendar selfie posts there's several poor quality out of focus/blurry pics, people leaving a message & photo without the hashtag, one person hashtagging with a pic of their kid sticking their tongue out completely missing that it's meant to be a selfie with one of their advent calendars in the pic.
    + one guys posted twice with the same pic
    "Can I please please please have it" 2nd time "Pick me please"

Oh and there's one accidentally hilarious pic of a guy looking miserable holding their advent calendar of an ultra cheery minion.
    • Chyna-s
    • By Chyna-s 10th Dec 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 18,009 Thanks
    Chyna-s
    Just to win a mystery prize:

After my fiance loosing his job 2 months ago. And struggling the last to months. And being depressed because we can't give our kids a Christmas. And being evicted almost twice now. So waking up and seeing this post made my day. And made me realize that there are still good people out there thank you for doing this. So i would love to win sure would brighten my life.

Also added a piccy of, I assume, her 3 offspring.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin