Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 121Posts
    • 7,861Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 33
    • Sunny Saver
    • By Sunny Saver 27th Aug 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 95,701 Thanks
    Sunny Saver
    I saw one comper enter a photo comp a few days ago. It was a photo of London, knew she didn't live here, so asked her about it. She'd photoshopped it from someone else's photo.

Surprised because prize wise she had been doing so well. People really need to resort to cheating when they'd been winning lots?
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 27th Aug 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I see norman bates (not his real name ) is back posting on every comp about his caring rock star mother & slapping her photo everywhere,it's lovely that he's proud of her and all but gee whizz! It wouldn't be so bad if he varied the post a bit and changed the photo more often
    • Sunny Saver
    • By Sunny Saver 27th Aug 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 95,701 Thanks
    Sunny Saver
    I see norman bates (not his real name ) is back posting on every comp about his caring rock star mother & slapping her photo everywhere,it's lovely that he's proud of her and all but gee whizz! It wouldn't be so bad if he varied the post a bit and changed the photo more often
    Originally posted by carriebradshaw
    For more than 30 years you know!
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
    • dontone
    • By dontone 28th Aug 17, 3:05 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 11,514 Thanks
    dontone
    I had to laugh at the name given, but I haven't seen his posts.
    There is quite a lot of spamming lately though. There are two in particular that seem to be doing it by posting lots of daft looking creature cartoons.
    Oh, yeah, the Lotto Comp that has been posted today is full of sob stories. All that is required is the name of the city where the picture has been taken. Ho-hum.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 28th Aug 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 7,165 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Comp setters are starting to notice them too
    https://notalwaysright.com/where-is-the-dislike/91025/

Customer: “I tag [Name #1] and [Name #2] and [Name #3]. We would love this. We need some fun and great eating at the moment because our 18-year-old brother was killed in a car accident last Saturday.”

Me: *to a friend* “Well then, now I will feel guilty if I don’t give it to them, but who says that just to win a prize?
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
    • GeeBee38
    • By GeeBee38 28th Aug 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 138,019 Thanks
    GeeBee38
    Just seen a comment from someone to win a dress. They cannot afford a big fancy wedding and are doing it all on the cheap as they are keeping money aside for her funeral

Now if true just awful, really awful but blimey why on earth would you put a comment like that to try and win a dress.
    Originally posted by Enigmatic Me
    keeping money aside for her funeral ?

Who would say that? i can't get over what people write on the internet, they are crazy
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 28th Aug 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 56,879 Thanks
    hdh74
    Someone pass the eye-bleach, there are some things you really should be able to un-see.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 28th Aug 17, 7:14 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 11,514 Thanks
    dontone
    Someone pass the eye-bleach, there are some things you really should be able to un-see.
    Originally posted by hdh74
    I think we are all out of eye bleach tbh.
    Somebody better do a comp, one of us spot it, and think of the best sob/begging story ever so we can try and win it.
    I'm all for it, so long as everybody on here agrees to share if one of us wins.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 29th Aug 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I saw a comp on FB the other day, to enter you just had to say your favourite colour and someone piped up, "now that I've finished my chemotherapy, my favourite colour is blue!"

there's really no need
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 29th Aug 17, 11:31 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    I saw a comp on FB the other day, to enter you just had to say your favourite colour and someone piped up, "now that I've finished my chemotherapy, my favourite colour is blue!"

there's really no need
    I wonder what it was before.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.

• GeeBee38
    • By GeeBee38 30th Aug 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 138,019 Thanks
    GeeBee38
    I wonder what it was before.
    Originally posted by strawberri_shortcake
    My favourite colour is blue too

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 1st Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 16,967 Thanks
    Blueyez
    The poster who keeps using bright red Xs&Os and hearts along with the answer, WHY?! the posts are becoming a headache to look at.

And the posters who "Whoooooo wow wowsers,
    yummmmy nomnom noms nommmy in my hungry tum tum tumm" don't these poor people get fed?

Last edited by Blueyez; 01-09-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    • HarveyMorand
    • By HarveyMorand 1st Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    HarveyMorand
    I think the worst bit with these comments about why they should win is that they are lies a lot of the time. You shouldn't joke or lie about death / illness / attacks to win a pineapple or whatever. Doesn't sit well with me.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 1st Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 11,514 Thanks
    dontone
    The poster who keeps using bright red Xs&Os and hearts along with the answer, WHY?! the posts are becoming a headache to look at.

And the posters who "Whoooooo wow wowsers,
    yummmmy nomnom noms nommmy in my hungry tum tum tumm
    " don't these poor people get fed?

Originally posted by Blueyez
    That should be an instant disqualification. That noughts n crosses post gets on my wick as well.
    There is no need for it, it just reeks of desperation. The Lotto one that has been going off this week has been the latest prime example.
    Be Lucky

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 1st Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 16,967 Thanks
    Blueyez
    That should be an instant disqualification. That noughts n crosses post gets on my wick as well.
    There is no need for it, it just reeks of desperation. The Lotto one that has been going off this week has been the latest prime example.
    Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone

I haven't seen that one...I haven't really entered comps off the board or in fact much in general since June so I imagine I've missed a whole lot of crazy . A morbid part of me wants to take a look but I know ill end up annoyed.
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring book:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper
    • morocah22
    • By morocah22 3rd Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    morocah22
    yes seen the bright red noughts and crosses to, and asked why?? and the pictures of the kids when there really is no need......it does reek of desperation!! would be intrigued to know it they are winning mind!!! i never put my personal junk out there to win a comp thats just poor taste!!
    just putting my 2 cents in
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 5th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 16,967 Thanks
    Blueyez
    comp for loo rolls and the lady with 8 kids is back!
    • mansey
    • By mansey 5th Sep 17, 11:36 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    mansey
    comp for loo rolls and the lady with 8 kids is back!
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    Can you imagine how much chit she deals with
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • dontone
    • By dontone 6th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 11,514 Thanks
    dontone
    I've finally seen his posts.......... She looks like a cool mamma, but, oh dear...

Be Lucky.

• strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 11th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    I've finally seen his posts.......... She looks like a cool mamma, but, oh dear...

Be Lucky.
    Originally posted by dontone

It's beyond tragic.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,563Posts Today

7,491Users online

Martin's Twitter