Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 7,567Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 30
    • dontone
    • By dontone 5th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    I once won a year's supply of loo roll and tbh it was a nightmare as they sent the whole lot in one go so I store most of the rolls in the loft! PS It is not me who is cutting and pasting the text described in the above posts!
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    I won a years supply and they sent me a load of vouchers. I wouldn't have minded, but you always get one person at the supermarket till who scrutinises money off vouchers and holds everything and everybody up.
    It's not a bad win though is it? Considering the price of bog rolls. It's just the comments and lengths that people will go to to win some. I'm astounded that no-one has posted a picture of them sat on the lav............. I've given someone ideas now, haven't I?
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • mansey
    • By mansey 7th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    mansey
    OMG, OMG this would be amazing to win and just at the right time since I just recently died from being hit by a meteorite, my little dog was tragically abducted by aliens and is now just a head in a jar on Alpha Centauri, and my house was eaten alive by bol weevils. My homeless family who are all suffering from wasting terminal illnesses would really be cheered up until, of course, the End of the World which will happen two weeks after the end of this competition.So I need this b4 this happens 🤣🤣#win.. thanks Andrew

“I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 7th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 8,964 Posts
    • 310,233 Thanks
    BlueBella
    I saw the 7 children lady for the first time yesterday!

I'm now going to post my own sob story, something along the lines of "i'm a mother of 7 tomato plants.."
    Originally posted by sammi86
    I have just come across her too.....the immediate image that popped into my head was......

A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • dontone
    • By dontone 7th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    Had one today come up on my own Twitter feed because the person begg, er, entering, used my RT to post to the people doing the comp.
    It went something like 'yes please with a (cherry emoji) on top. And lots of those praying emoji's as well.
    They were 'this' close to being blocked. Rt'ing a Rt is one thing, as we've all done it by accident. Pleading to win is another.
    Be Lucky.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 7th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 10,601 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    OMG, OMG this would be amazing to win and just at the right time since I just recently died from being hit by a meteorite, my little dog was tragically abducted by aliens and is now just a head in a jar on Alpha Centauri, and my house was eaten alive by bol weevils. My homeless family who are all suffering from wasting terminal illnesses would really be cheered up until, of course, the End of the World which will happen two weeks after the end of this competition.So I need this b4 this happens ����#win.. thanks Andrew

Originally posted by mansey
    Oy, that's mine from ages ago (apart from the "So I need this b4 this happens ����#win.. thanks Andrew" bit)!!!!
    It's all well and good selling your soul, but don't steal someone else's to sell!!!!! (As Terry Pratchett said "Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.")

Just found that someone called Denise Alelly won a Facebook competition in March using that exact quote. Looks like I'll need to reclaim it!
    Last edited by pate-ci0; 07-07-2017 at 9:07 PM.
    • mansey
    • By mansey 7th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 3,015 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    mansey
    Oy, that's mine from ages ago (apart from the "So I need this b4 this happens ����#win.. thanks Andrew" bit)!!!!
    It's all well and good selling your soul, but don't steal someone else's to sell!!!!! (As Terry Pratchett said "Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.")

Just found that someone called Denise Alelly won a Facebook competition in March using that exact quote. Looks like I'll need to reclaim it!
    Originally posted by pate-ci0
    Tis bad craic indeed when folks have to steal anothers sob story to win
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 9th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 93,829 Thanks
    serenity2012
    We're now getting pics of the seven - just in case we haven't got the message she's got 7 kids...
    https://www.facebook.com/Poundstretcher/photos/a.166754803353078.43798.166751006686791/1718496848178858/?type=3&theater
    Originally posted by hdh74
    She is the most annoying person on fb. I know exactly who you mean. People have called her out on it and she gets her family to send vile messages. She's a total moron.
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
    • JesElis
    • By JesElis 9th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    JesElis
    We're now getting pics of the seven - just in case we haven't got the message she's got 7 kids...
    https://www.facebook.com/Poundstretcher/photos/a.166754803353078.43798.166751006686791/1718496848178858/?type=3&theater
    The comp entry requirement was to simply like & post #win, if she's posting anything other than that it might just indicate why she has so many kids... maybe she cannot understand the basic directions on the contraception box either Oops I'm thinking aloud with my keyboard again
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 10th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 6,210 Posts
    • 19,776 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    They ought to disqualify entries that don't comply with the directions.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 10th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    They ought to disqualify entries that don't comply with the directions.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    A few of us think that, and I have seen a few comps where they have said that they will disqualify anybody who doesn't comply.
    Doesn't stop people trying it on though. I've even seen people win comps (saw it last year on Twitter) where all that is required is that you only answer a question, and they still put down the sob story, forget to answer the question and still win.
    That's why, especially when it comes to FB, I'd prefer it if they just had an entry form and pick a winner from that.
    Be Lucky.

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 10th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 16,637 Thanks
    Blueyez
    A few of us think that, and I have seen a few comps where they have said that they will disqualify anybody who doesn't comply.
    Doesn't stop people trying it on though. I've even seen people win comps (saw it last year on Twitter) where all that is required is that you only answer a question, and they still put down the sob story, forget to answer the question and still win.
    That's why, especially when it comes to FB, I'd prefer it if they just had an entry form and pick a winner from that.
    Be Lucky.
    Originally posted by dontone

Even with the forms, it doesn't stop the sob stories. I remember a radio networks advent comp, it was a form to "win Christmas" but that didn't stop people posting about this being their granddads last Christmas because of cancer or how this is their fist Christmas in their own home ect.
    Last edited by Blueyez; 10-07-2017 at 9:28 PM.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 10th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    Even with the forms, it doesn't stop the sob stories. I remember a radio networks advent comp, it was a form to "win Christmas" but that didn't stop people posting about this being their granddads last Christmas because of cancer or how this is their fist Christmas in their own home ect.
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    That's true. It didn't stop 'superheroes' or people with lots of kiddie-winkles either. heh! I think we will just have to (grudgingly) accept that sob stories are here to stay....
    ...... Although it won't stop the likes of us taking the wee-wee out of them
    Be Lucky

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 21st Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 16,637 Thanks
    Blueyez
    noticed when a company post on FB comp posts "this competition is now closed, we will pick the winner soon" people start gushing on that post too- "oh please pick me!" "fingers & toes crossed" "good luck!!!!!!!!!(insert emoji overkill)" and even more pictures of their little ones. why?!
    • Abominus
    • By Abominus 22nd Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    Abominus
    What grinds my gears these days is those people who post "wacky" pictures of themselves in reply to Twitter competitions. I keep seeing the same ones over and over again. Why? All they have asked for is a retweet, what is the purpose of you posting a picture of yourself with an inane grin on your face? Narcissism?

At any rate, it's not amusing, it's just annoying.

• hdh74
    • By hdh74 23rd Jul 17, 3:05 AM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 55,205 Thanks
    hdh74
    On a comp to win a laptop on FB - and they did say tell us why you want to win:

" Nicom It Services The winner is xxxxxx.

Forgot to mention that some of the reasons for needing a laptop really touched us. Because of that i will be upping my efforts to ensuring that we donate more equipment to worthwhile causes across the country"

The winner mentioned that she does competitions (and entered from her self-proclaimed 'competition account') as it helps to take her mind off her constant pain.
    As it happens myself and a fair few friends I have do comp to take our minds off unpleasant health issues - but most of us wouldn't mention it to win a comp... Ah well, more fool us.
    Last edited by hdh74; 23-07-2017 at 3:18 AM.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 24th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    On a comp to win a laptop on FB - and they did say tell us why you want to win:

" Nicom It Services The winner is xxxxxx.

Forgot to mention that some of the reasons for needing a laptop really touched us. Because of that i will be upping my efforts to ensuring that we donate more equipment to worthwhile causes across the country"

The winner mentioned that she does competitions (and entered from her self-proclaimed 'competition account') as it helps to take her mind off her constant pain.
    As it happens myself and a fair few friends I have do comp to take our minds off unpleasant health issues - but most of us wouldn't mention it to win a comp... Ah well, more fool us.
    Something tells me that they are going to regret posting that bit. Already seen a bit of begging.
    Got to admit that I still don't like seeing the health issue posts used to try and gain and advantage. I think it's bad taste.
    Be Lucky

• dontone
    • By dontone 24th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    What grinds my gears these days is those people who post "wacky" pictures of themselves in reply to Twitter competitions. I keep seeing the same ones over and over again. Why? All they have asked for is a retweet, what is the purpose of you posting a picture of yourself with an inane grin on your face? Narcissism?

At any rate, it's not amusing, it's just annoying.

Originally posted by Abominus
    I agree. There are a couple in particular who pop up now and again, and it seems very full on with the amount of effort they put in to win. And it doesn't matter what it's for - could be a spanner or something and the 'OMG!! Face' is there. Accompanied by tons of heart emojis and what-have-you. Far too bright and too much in the way of overkill tbh.
    We need a massive facepalm emoji to automatically pop up when that happens.
    Be Lucky.

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 27th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 16,637 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Just noticed the "Son getting Married in Michigan" duo have struck again!
    This time it's the husband (tagged the wife in the comment) Including a photo of the couple who married in Michigan, in March! It's carphone-warehouse comp asking for the display specs of a phone..
    • dontone
    • By dontone 27th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    dontone
    Just noticed the "Son getting Married in Michigan" duo have struck again!
    This time it's the husband (tagged the wife in the comment) Including a photo of the couple who married in Michigan, in March! It's carphone-warehouse comp asking for the display specs of a phone..
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    They've been quiet. TBH, I was expecting something like a scan or something.
    There was one the other day about a little 'un being car sick, and we had the whole saga from first chug to how the wet wipes did the trick, etc, etc. They were that engrossed in telling the story, that they forgot to answer the question - which is all that was required. Ho-hum. Baby spew stories = could be a winner
    Be Lucky

• BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 27th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 8,964 Posts
    • 310,233 Thanks
    BlueBella
    This person is starting to bug me....

wow what an amazing & generous prize..#win.....loved liked dreamed and share with my best chum XXXXXXXXX......i would be over the moon & be thrilled to bits to win.........fingers tightly crossed......... thank you for the chance & good luck to you all x..

A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

8,000Users online

Martin's Twitter