Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 7,886Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 28
    • chrissie57
    • By chrissie57 9th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 118,906 Thanks
    chrissie57
    There are entries on this page

https://www.facebook.com/Hughes.co.uk

From all over the world! Prize is a washing machine. Can't see it being shipped to South Africa!
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    Could get interesting - T&Cs are quite good but don't say you have to be in UK...although they do say you might be asked to attend the nearest branch to collect the prize
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
    • angelof1983
    • By angelof1983 10th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    angelof1983
    I love this... so popping "my pet newt has shingles" in the bank for the next facebook competition I see. I can't abide the things. I'll do twitter comps and other comps but avoid the competitions unless its brands that I already follow (like stylecraft yarn etc)
    2016 wins - 25p (Topcashback Travel Treats), lopper/secateurs set
    • lorrainej162
    • By lorrainej162 10th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    lorrainej162
    It's the father's day ones that have put me off entering. 'Tell us how your dad deserves to win'.............. I won't compete with the sob stories.
    £100 Tesco Gift Card, £100, £25, Ironing Board, Car boot organiser, £25 Amazon voucher, secateurs.

2017 prize total £348

2016 prize total £1469.
    2015 prize total £1346.
    2017 prize wish list
    ITV WIN (don't we all!)
    New Bathroom
    Food Mixer

• Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 10th Jun 17, 11:27 PM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 17,682 Thanks
    Misslayed
    It's the father's day ones that have put me off entering. 'Tell us how your dad deserves to win'.............. I won't compete with the sob stories.
    Originally posted by lorrainej162
    And it's hard on us orphans.
    Although tbh if it's a prize I really want I just use im indoors, he's a brilliant Dad of six!
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    • By xLuckyxAshxWinsx 10th Jun 17, 11:30 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 42,210 Thanks
    xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    Snap. My dad deserves nothing, I want to win it for myself. Don't think that would go down too well, especially as I have my dad on fb lol
    August wins - £20 Aldi voucher (tw), Organix goodies and Gruffalo dvd (RC), Pair of School shoes (web), 2 pack worldeez globe (RC), Scarf (fb), Peter Rabbit plush (RC)
    September Wins - £100 itunes voucher (web), Mustard & Hot sauce (web), Moana tsumtsum bundle (tw),
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 11th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 152,086 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I often put something on the lines of "My Dad died 20 years ago. #WhateverHashtag Does this mean I am excluded from your competition?". (Only if it is a random draw)

• hdh74
    • By hdh74 14th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 56,924 Thanks
    hdh74
    On the Yours clothing comp - rude but funny:

Eeeeks what a super treat for this shattered mummy ���� of 7 children ��������would be so thrilled to be a winner �������� fingers tightly crossed
    Like · Reply · 1 · 11 hrs

Reply - Think there's an entire thread somewhere about you saying you have 7 children in every competition posted online. If it is so tiring try closing your legs for once and get some sleep. You're not too shattered to enter hundreds of facebook comps every day.

The person who replied got slated, of course, but it did make me laugh.
    • mansey
    • By mansey 14th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 11,467 Thanks
    mansey
    And it's hard on us orphans.
    Although tbh if it's a prize I really want I just use im indoors, he's a brilliant Dad of six!
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    If he could have another, you could compete with the "mother of seven"

She is totally doing my head in with her blue face mask and rollers
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • mansey
    • By mansey 14th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 11,467 Thanks
    mansey

Eeeeks what a super treat for this shattered mummy ���� of 7 children ��������would be so thrilled to be a winner �������� fingers tightly crossed

Reply - Think there's an entire thread somewhere about you saying you have 7 children in every competition posted online. If it is so tiring try closing your legs for once and get some sleep. You're not too shattered to enter hundreds of facebook comps every day.

Originally posted by hdh74
    We need a link for that one
    ― Billy Joel
    • dontone
    • By dontone 14th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    dontone

Originally posted by hdh74

That's brilliant. Give the person who gave that response a goldfish
    I agree with Mansey. We need a link to that
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • dontone
    • By dontone 14th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    dontone
    I avoid them too, as well as the Mother's Day ones. You really can't compete with some of them, and some of them border on bad taste.
    You can't get away from them I'm afraid. Even the ones this year that request that you do i.e #fathersday usually have some heartbreaking tale attached. A lot of folk can't do what is being asked and leave it at that.
    BTW, how long is it till the advents? Father's Day is the last bit of big sob story practice till December the 1st. (I know some people practice throughout the year)
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 14th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 10,529 Posts
    • 1,012,040 Thanks
    grannybiker
    https://www.facebook.com/yoursclothingOFFICIAL/photos/a.10150327581064738.369984.193484984737/10155394674224738/?type=3&comment_id=344057346014752&comment_trackin g=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Link to mega-mummy!
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • mansey
    • By mansey 14th Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 11,467 Thanks
    mansey
    Thanks grannybiker

My screen almost got another covering in coke when someone said she could talk about her kids till she was blue in the face
    ― Billy Joel
    • dontone
    • By dontone 15th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    dontone
    I like the way everybody jumped to 'Mam of 7's defence.
    The thing is, is that a lot of people are fed up with posts like that. The person who commented did mention that there was a thread somewhere about it. I wonder if they will end up coming on here and having a read through?
    Btw, the 50th birthday soup lady has a new best friend. It's still 'loved liked dreamed' but a different name.
    Another thing, I don't like that cardigan that is being given away, the colour would make me look like a giant bogey - just saying
    Be Lucky

• I-Owe-You
    • By I-Owe-You 16th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    I-Owe-You
    I'm sure this has already been said, but how does a Mum of 7 find the time to enter all these competitions?

I struggle keeping up just fitting in my housework and walking the dog!

Another one, on twitter, posting a selfie with her gob wide open in reply to every competition tweet is also getting on my wick.

Why cant people just do as the promotor asks!?

I'd be interested to know Ma of 7 and madame selfie's win rate!
    • Stevev99
    • By Stevev99 16th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Stevev99
    Good posting thread since I too refuse to enter comps which are littered with sad story comments. I think Thomas Cook currently have a father's day photo comp which are littered with nice pics of dad's but also sad comments which seem a little desperate to me. Presumably on FB they just want you to comment so all your FB friends are suddenly tied into the comp potentially rather than 'who's got the saddest story they wish to share'.
    I'm very sorry for people's losses and sadness however you don't need to share on competition entries surely. My Dad's got dementia and I certainly won't be sharing that on a competition entry in an attempt to win some vouchers!
    It's a bit like those people who win the lottery jackpots and go public...are they bonkers!!
    • rb2222lb
    • By rb2222lb 27th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    rb2222lb
    Here we go again
    Today's National Lottery hourly Comp is bringing them all out of the woodwork

Comment on what you see. "A boat" Or "A car". That's all that's asked for

But no, out come the sob stories and emojis and virtual begging comments!

Aaaaaaah!
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 29th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 56,924 Thanks
    hdh74
    "oh yes
    this mummy of 7 children would love a new dress
    dont think i own any !!!!"

Poor lass has no clothes - that explains a lot!

https://www.facebook.com/DollyandDotty/photos/a.930571407006648.1073741828.865414953522294/1585315741532208/?type=3&theater
    • StrayCat
    • By StrayCat 29th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 31,658 Thanks
    StrayCat
    I see that 'mum of 7' comments everywhere, I kind of feel sorry for anyone who reduces themselves as simply a mum of 7. I am a mum but feel no need to comment on FB comps about it because whilst I'm a mum it's only a small part of my identity, I'm so much more than that. Although with 7 I guess you don't have much time for much else (other than hundreds of comps evidently).
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 30th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    dontone
    I wish there was not only a 'no sob/begging story' rule, but also only one emoji allowed rule.
    So there
    Be Lucky

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

857Posts Today

6,602Users online

Martin's Twitter