Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 7,885Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 25
    • maggie777
    • By maggie777 10th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,020 Thanks
    maggie777
    To win a dress, just comment with your choice.

Simple you'd think?

So why the need for someone to use the death of their child as a filler/reason?

Hugely traumatic for those concerned for sure, but in reality there are millions of people who have suffered heartache, tragedy and loss yet don't feel the need to 'exploit' it, or a dead person for essentially personal gain. You can bet there are people also entering the comp who have had awful experiences, yet just answered the question without unnecessary life event sob commentary

Am I being too harsh?
    Originally posted by JesElis
    After reading this post I was curious so went to the page and although she didn't win the competition - the company, very kindly of them, have said 'you didn't win the competition, but please email ???????? address + dress size and we'll see what we can do'

This is encouraging the 'sob stories' fake or not.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 10th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    Blueyez
    After reading this post I was curious so went to the page and although she didn't win the competition - the company, very kindly of them, have said 'you didn't win the competition, but please email ???????? address + dress size and we'll see what we can do'

This is encouraging the 'sob stories' fake or not.
    Originally posted by maggie777

Too right it's encouraging sob stories. I think I may have to take a break from social media again
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 10th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 56,912 Thanks
    hdh74
    We have to remember that we see the same crap on hundreds of pages whilst the competition provider only sees what is on their own page. I reckon any company that runs comps regularly will start to see through the crap eventually though. Give it time.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 15th Mar 17, 11:56 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 37,217 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    Not a criticism, but just an observation......

I do wonder if some of the folks entering this comp actual realise they are seeming older than they (possibly, in some cases) are? Lots of posts by people saying they are too old to have been able to read books by Jacqueline Wilson, but their 12/9/7/5 year old does. Jaqueline Wilson has been publishing children's books since at least 1970, even my aunt, who is 55 remembers them! To be fair, she didn't reach much wider popularity until the mid-1980s I think, but that would still make it possible for plenty of 35-45 year olds to have at least had the possibility of reading her books (and of course anyone younger).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605037

A quote "Sadly I'm too old to have read any Jacqueline Wilson when I was a child. An avid reader though, I really wish she had been around in the 70s."
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 16-03-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 16th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    dontone
    We have to remember that we see the same crap on hundreds of pages whilst the competition provider only sees what is on their own page. I reckon any company that runs comps regularly will start to see through the crap eventually though. Give it time.
    Originally posted by hdh74
    Hopefully it will start sooner rather than later. It's coming up to Mother's Day. Let's keep a look out for some 'original stuff' this year
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • forgetthat
    • By forgetthat 16th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    forgetthat
    This one has really pulled in the sob stories. And it's a fake page anyway which is kind of apt. https://www.facebook.com/1470968246502249/photos/a.1470987529833654.1073741831.1470968246502249/1817309058534831/?type=3&theater

And hee hee at this one:

I would love to win this because I have had a terrible life. At the age of 4 I was sold into slavery and forced to work as a chimney sweep. I had to climb up 200 foot industrial chimneys to scrub them clean. At the age of 11 I was too big for the chimneys so was sold on to a mining company, I spent 23 hours a day in the mines with no light or tools and had to dig the coal out with my bare hands. At the age of 16 I managed to escape to Peru, but unfortunately caught by rebels and forced to fight in their civil war. In my first battle I got shot 16 times and fell into a river barely alive and washed out to sea. I got "saved" by fisherman who patched me up. They forced me to work on their trawler in exchange for saving my life. After 32 years I managed to escape by jumping overboard. I now live in Newport, which is the worst thing ever to of happened to me. So yeah I deserve to win!
    Originally posted by hdh74
    Think i'll copy and paste that one for a while
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 17th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 10,529 Posts
    • 1,012,004 Thanks
    grannybiker
    Not a criticism, but just an observation......

I do wonder if some of the folks entering this comp actual realise they are seeming older than they (possibly, in some cases) are? Lots of posts by people saying they are too old to have been able to read books by Jacqueline Wilson, but their 12/9/7/5 year old does. Jaqueline Wilson has been publishing children's books since at least 1970, even my aunt, who is 55 remembers them! To be fair, she didn't reach much wider popularity until the mid-1980s I think, but that would still make it possible for plenty of 35-45 year olds to have at least had the possibility of reading her books (and of course anyone younger).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605037

A quote "Sadly I'm too old to have read any Jacqueline Wilson when I was a child. An avid reader though, I really wish she had been around in the 70s."
    Originally posted by 2013yearofthehouse
    Lots of misunderstandings here too https://www.facebook.com/ThePresentFinder/photos/a.166444870048342.46043.113095148716648/1787667721259374/?type=3&theater

The books are poking fun, so in an entirely different nature to the originals!
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 17th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Sob stories have migrated over to instagram now! Superdrug are running one that closes at 5PM "Why your mum deserves to win"
    • Skilos
    • By Skilos 17th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    Skilos
    ^ To be fair, I think the ones like 'Tell us why you/your mum deserve to win' are asking for sob stories, even if it's a random draw.
    Last edited by Skilos; 17-03-2017 at 6:37 PM.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 18th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 186,390 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Just seen this as a Mum story I really hope the Mum isn't on facebook

" to the time where she got so drunk on holiday that she wet herself and accidentally smashed up a light in the hotel room which caused a power cut �� My mum is definitely a character!"
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    Marcus Aurelius
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 18th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    Blueyez

" to the time where she got so drunk on holiday that she wet herself and accidentally smashed up a light in the hotel room which caused a power cut �� My mum is definitely a character!"
    Originally posted by Moneybot

Oh Lord!
    • dontone
    • By dontone 18th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    dontone

Well, it's original. Tbh, it's no worse than what I've read on some acquaintances Facebook pages over the years. I have breathed a sigh of relief or two that I don't associate with folk like that
    I would be mortified if some child of mine put it on though just to win a prize. What is the prize btw? is it worth showing a parent up for, or is it a £5 voucher or bag of crisps?
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 18th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 186,390 Thanks
    Moneybot
    There is no prize worth posting that about your mother.
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    Marcus Aurelius
    • dontone
    • By dontone 18th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    dontone
    There is no prize worth posting that about your mother.
    It's a fair point.
    It could have been worse, they could have posted what their Mam was doing to actually break the light bulb.
    I can only hope that they meant that it was a lamp that got broken. Poor woman, someone she knows is bound to spot it and have a pop about it to her. I feel sorry for her.
    Another reason why they should have forms to fill in instead of stories, the boundaries are getting pushed too much.
    Be Lucky.

• BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 19th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 9,105 Posts
    • 313,176 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Violins at the ready: Mums! We want to know what your ultimate Mother’s Day gift would be. Comment below and tell us for your chance to win a £20 M&S voucher, a £20 Boots voucher and a gift set from the Body Shop.

from this comp: https://www.facebook.com/FortKinnaird/photos/a.10150104877036342.272226.240807781341/10154465418811342/?type=1&theater

Sob stories alert! Loads posting about just wanting to spend the day with their mothers who have passed away etc!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 19th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 186,390 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Are you naming people or giving links so that the person could be identified?
    Marcus Aurelius
    • dontone
    • By dontone 19th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    dontone
    Are you naming people or giving links so that the person could be identified?
    TBH, I did ask which comp it was so I could have a look and see what else was posted. I might have wanted to enter it because I'm hopeless at finding FB comps anyway. It wasn't really different to what gets posted one here sob story wise (although tbf, it was a bit of those 'what the fudge?!?!' ones that we see ocassionally). There was no names or links posted. (the Boden link got posted and that was fine, as was others IYSWIM) There is even a link posted today that seems to okay, so I really don't know what has happened.
    Perhaps someone has reported it.
    Be Lucky

• Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 19th Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 186,390 Thanks
    Moneybot
    TBH, I did ask which comp it was so I could have a look and see what else was posted. I might have wanted to enter it because I'm hopeless at finding FB comps anyway. It wasn't really different to what gets posted one here sob story wise (although tbf, it was a bit of those 'what the fudge?!?!' ones that we see ocassionally). There was no names or links posted. (the Boden link got posted and that was fine, as was others IYSWIM) There is even a link posted today that seems to okay, so I really don't know what has happened.
    Perhaps someone has reported it.
    Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone
    If it was a member of the forum and they felt they could be identified from the post they would ask for it to be taken down.
    Marcus Aurelius
    • dontone
    • By dontone 19th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    dontone
    If it was a member of the forum and they felt they could be identified from the post they would ask for it to be taken down.
    No problem putting in on Social Media to win a prize though. That's what I don't get.
    I'm expecting this post to disappear now.
    Be Lucky.

• Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 19th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 186,390 Thanks
    Moneybot
    It's a funny old world the comping forum I agree.

What people post on social media and what they post on here do sometimes appear to conflict or contradict.The twitter feed with don't post the competitions posted on here on mse then posted on here by the owner of the twitter feed. I totally don't get that one but hey ho.
    Marcus Aurelius
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,572Users online

Martin's Twitter