Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 6,623Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 11
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 11th Oct 16, 7:15 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 48,645 Thanks
    hdh74
    Argh - I've read this one about 20 times in the last few days - it's so irritating!

REMEMBER!!....It's not about the winning ......Who am i kidding!!...i'd be thrilled to win this fantastic prize!! �� i've liked & shared, thankyou so much for the chance...Good luck everyone �� �� x
    • Ktkoozal
    • By Ktkoozal 11th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    Ktkoozal
    Please tell me this is one of us!
    I have had many a chuckle reading this thread, thanks to all who have posted. I have just entered a Fragrance Direct comp on FB and found the following, it is pure genius:

Didn't think we had to comment, but here's mine - OMG, OMG this would be amazing to win and just at the right time since I just recently died from being hit by a meteorite, my little dog was tragically abducted by aliens and is now just a head in a jar on Alpha Centauri, and my house was eaten alive by bol weevils. My homeless family who are all suffering from wasting terminal illnesses would really be cheered up until, of course, the End of the World which will happen two weeks after the end of this competition.

PLEASE, PLEASE LET THAT BE ONE OF US!! I really hope this is from a fellow MSE comper who is hilarious, well played that man!
    Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
    • Skilos
    • By Skilos 11th Oct 16, 11:56 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    Skilos
    ^ Yep! See here in this very thread.
    • pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 12th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 8,443 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    Still haven't won with .... OMG, OMG etc.... but folk seem to appreciate the irony...
    • smaisey
    • By smaisey 12th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 33,363 Thanks
    smaisey
    LOL I bet she uses the big 50 birthday quote in all of her posts year after year TBH if I was her, I would prefer to use a 21st birthday quote year after year though
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    I replied to her comment on one of the comps (for a jar of hoi sin sauce!!) saying "How would a jar of hoi sin sauce help you celebrate your 50th birthday in style!?"

She then edited her comment
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,139 Thanks
    dontone
    If there has ever been a dress that is meant to be mine, this is it. Amazing. I would love to have this in the cupboard for my Nan's funeral when the time comes. She would love it too.

WTF? So is Nan already dead, or is this lady just the height of uber-prepared?
    Originally posted by grannybiker

What.....The........Fudge?!?!?!
    Been away for a few days so just catching up with comps and also catching up with this 'I'm so desperate to win a prize on FB, that I'll write anything down' thread.
    I'm just wondering, if she wins, is she going to show it Gran? I can just imagine the conversation - 'Heyup Nan, do you like the frock I won? Just showing it you now 'cos I'm putting it away so I can wear it at your funeral'
    Either Nan is going to be delighted at a Granddaughter who is going to scrub up well, or, she is going to write her out of the will first thing in the morning.
    Some of these posts, it's hilarious, yet disturbing at the same time.
    Be Lucky.
    Last edited by dontone; 12-10-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,139 Thanks
    dontone
    I replied to her comment on one of the comps (for a jar of hoi sin sauce!!) saying "How would a jar of hoi sin sauce help you celebrate your 50th birthday in style!?"

She then edited her comment
    Originally posted by smaisey
    lol. Quite a few people have got wise to her comments and have been commenting with posts along the same lines.
    Is she still using that post? Or, more to the point, did she actually win with it?
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• Ktkoozal
    • By Ktkoozal 13th Oct 16, 1:11 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    Ktkoozal
    Thanks Skilos, I hadn't seen it.

Pate-ci0, you are awesome, I bow to the master!
    Last edited by Ktkoozal; 13-10-2016 at 1:14 AM.
    Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
    • Pickles89
    • By Pickles89 13th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Pickles89
    What.....The........Fudge?!?!?!
    Been away for a few days so just catching up with comps and also catching up with this 'I'm so desperate to win a prize on FB, that I'll write anything down' thread.
    I'm just wondering, if she wins, is she going to show it Gran? I can just imagine the conversation - 'Heyup Nan, do you like the frock I won? Just showing it you now 'cos I'm putting it away so I can wear it at your funeral'
    Either Nan is going to be delighted at a Granddaughter who is going to scrub up well, or, she is going to write her out of the will first thing in the morning.
    Some of these posts, it's hilarious, yet disturbing at the same time.
    Be Lucky.
    Originally posted by dontone
    THAT would be truly epic! Maybe we'll find out on another comp?

'OMG this is such a fantastic prize! I would really love to be lucky enough to win this tin of reduced-salt, low-sugar baked beans because I was let down over an inheritance, so I'm desperately poor. Keeping everything crossed!!! xxx'.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 14th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,139 Thanks
    dontone
    Heyup everybody

Have a look at the Home Bargains £100 FB prize tonight, someone has posted a brilliant sob story on there about a budgie, moving into a former psychopath's house, and the walls being a dubious colour.
    It's brill, and obviously must be true

A million points to whoever posted it

p.s one a lighter note, I've just found out that I can now use the Smilies on here again. For some reason, I've not been able to use them for about 2 years - apologies for going a bit mad, got a bit of catching up to do
    Be Lucky

• BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 14th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 296,820 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Heyup everybody

Have a look at the Home Bargains £100 FB prize tonight, someone has posted a brilliant sob story on there about a budgie, moving into a former psychopath's house, and the walls being a dubious colour.

p.s one a lighter note, I've just found out that I can now use the Smilies on here again. For some reason, I've not been able to use them for about 2 years - apologies for going a bit mad, got a bit of catching up to do
    Be Lucky
    Ooooooh yes please this would bring a smile my face as my uncles, nephews long lost son has suffered a devastating loss, his budgie died. We have just moved house and it needs redecorating as it was previously owned by a psychopath so the walls are a dubious colour and my kids can have a decent xmas present this year instead of a lump of coal & a satsuma ...... Good Luck everyone
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • bethesda
    • By bethesda 16th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    bethesda
    oh i have missed mse! you guys crack me up!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 9,984 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Heyup everybody

Be Lucky

Oh no, it looks like a comp entry with all those smilies

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,139 Thanks
    dontone
    Somebody wants to win puuuurfume so they have something nice to put on when they've had a baby.
    Apparently they are due anytime, but might need to be induced,etc, etc.
    Wishing them well with their preparations and all that. But from what I've heard about childbirth, the last thing I'd want to do after giving birth is cover meself in scent.
    still, bonus points for originality
    Be Lucky

• dontone
    • By dontone 17th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,139 Thanks
    dontone
    Oh no, it looks like a comp entry with all those smilies

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    My apologies. I got rather carried away

I am going to stand in the corner and hang my head in shame.

Be Lucky

• pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 17th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 8,443 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    In the same perfume competition:

"Love this smell this was our precious girls fav perfume and what she wore wen the angels came to take her to heaven hope ur still using the one that we sent with you tiggy ������
    Would love to win this and I'd give it straight to my sister in so she can smell her precious baby girl xxx"

If this is true I should probably be a bit ashamed of my somewhat cynical comment further up in the competition post----- er, no I shouldn't actually, cos that is in really bad taste as an attempt to influence selection whether it's true or not...and if it's not an attempt to influence selection why are you telling me this? grumble..selling soul...grumble.. grouch...
    • chrissie57
    • By chrissie57 17th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 118,534 Thanks
    chrissie57
    Well a page called Coupon Mama seems to have had enough of the antics on their competition. You just had to type 'WIN' to enter and someone made a comment about the inevitable sob stories. Their reply:

We choose winners at random so it doesn't matter how bad your story is, you have the same chance as everyone else

I have to say, when I scrolled down the comments and found:

Win me sharing is caring I would love to win this prize for my grandson for Christmas as it will be my final Christmas Drs have just confirmed being referred to a hospice & under a palative care nurse I want Christmas to be special I felt rather sick

Nice prize (Lego advent calendars) but still...
    "If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,139 Thanks
    dontone
    Well a page called Coupon Mama seems to have had enough of the antics on their competition. You just had to type 'WIN' to enter and someone made a comment about the inevitable sob stories. Their reply:

We choose winners at random so it doesn't matter how bad your story is, you have the same chance as everyone else

I have to say, when I scrolled down the comments and found:

Win me sharing is caring I would love to win this prize for my grandson for Christmas as it will be my final Christmas Drs have just confirmed being referred to a hospice & under a palative care nurse I want Christmas to be special I felt rather sick

Nice prize (Lego advent calendars) but still...
    Originally posted by chrissie57
    I've just been reading the page. Good on them for saying that about it being random. Yet, I still didn't see many doing what was requested though. Then again, there are over 9000 comments, so perhaps some of those got lost in the shuffle.
    Oh dear on the story.
    Be Lucky.

• matt.warman83
    • By matt.warman83 21st Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    matt.warman83
    The perfume shop posted a comp so my reply was this!!!!

Good luck to everyone using every bloody emoji known to man, those who have 1 day left to live or its for "their man" 😣 you need this prize to make this birthday the best ever! Or Xmas, easter, god knows, whatever!!!Good luck to those with their fingers and toes tightly crossed, the prize givers don't give a bloody toss! Liked and shared with a photo to boot, OMG don't make me puke! For Christmas or Halloween, nobody gives a hoot, calm down you wallys or you'll get the boot!! 😘😘😍😍
    2016 wins: Screening of The Conjuring, Toy Bundle, Fitbit, DVD, book, Cool bag filled with drinks, Meal for 2 at Marygreen Manor, NFL tickets & Marriott hotel stay.
    Rough value £760

Wishlist! A holiday to Vegas or NY.
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 23rd Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    Considering how many people are hobbling around with their 'fingers and toes tightly crossed' I'm surprised I've never come across them in the flesh.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter