Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 6,623Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 10
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 2nd Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 8,526 Posts
    • 296,397 Thanks
    BlueBella
    LOL This is a great song - I wonder if someone will use it as a sob story - you must listen to it all the way through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsGPq9WBSI

Last edited by BlueBella; 02-10-2016 at 5:56 PM.
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • dontone
    • By dontone 2nd Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    dontone
    Well, I have enjoyed this thread and laughed at quite a lot of it

BUT...just went to enter a B&Q comp to win a fridge and read this:

"As a mum in a household of 11 with all these kids it has to be a "cold wet flannel" in a sandwich bag 😱 my 7year old has leukaemia and frequent temperatures means this is a godsend 😘 which a fridge this size would be too liked and shared"

To be honest I just wanted to cry and I really think I want to give up on these types of comps

It also highlights another aspect of this issue which hasn't been addressed on this thread - the number of people who reply urging the company to choose this person OR even offer to donate the prize to them if they win...
    Originally posted by chrissie57

Do you know, I've not really paid much attention to posts like that, but now you've mentioned it (and I've read that particular one), it seems that they are cropping up on lots of FB comments now. I've seen a few of them saying under a story that they would donate that prize.
    I don't know what to make of them tbh.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 2nd Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 8,526 Posts
    • 296,397 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Unfortunately I think alot of those "I'll donate this prize to...." are bulls**t tbh! ......

• dontone
    • By dontone 2nd Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    dontone
    Unfortunately I think alot of those "I'll donate this prize to...." are bulls**t tbh! ......
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    Hhhmmm I agree with you. It's unfortunate, but it wouldn't surprise me if folk just say it just so they can win. We've seen comments that don't shock us anymore, perhaps this is a new tactic. And it kind of pains me to say that.
    Although, why don't the people running the comp just say' Prove you've donated it' and call their bluff? (another thing that won't happen either)
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • emily131
    • By emily131 3rd Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 2,810 Thanks
    emily131
    One I've seen this morning to win a dress. All you had to do was say which of the two styles you liked the most. Someone has posted their story of escaping domestic abuse!
    • lorrainej162
    • By lorrainej162 3rd Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    lorrainej162
    Not as bad as selling your soul but another slightly annoying thing is people doing little rhymes/ditties. Fair enough if the competition ask for it. But when winner is picked randomly then it's pointless
    Originally posted by andrew71

But most of the rhymes don't rhyme and the ditties don't make any sense, and as you say, when it's random!!
    2016 prize total £1469.00
    ROBOT VACUUM, £100 Argos Gift Card, £200, £50 Damart voucher, £10 Garden voucher, £500. Jordan's cereal. £25. Bottle of whisky. 2 Recipe book.

2015 prize total £1346.
    2016 prize wish list
    ITV WIN (don't we all!)
    New Bathroom
    Food Mixer

• lisylou21
    • By lisylou21 4th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    lisylou21
    Just won an facebook competition by just commenting with the word they asked for, as did the other 2 winners. So goes to show the sob stories are a waste of time
    • CharleyYpres
    • By CharleyYpres 4th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    CharleyYpres
    My husband Ian weve been to hell and back loosing our home, business and watching our son go through his illness, screamed shouted at each other but all through this we have been the rock for each other and neither would have it any other way,
    My special one is my boyfriend alex my husband suffered 6 long months of pain and agony with mesethelioma for months i sat crying by his bedside he dident know i was there or who i was when he died id just made it to hospital to say goodbye to him i was heartbroken and so lonely no one and nothing could comfort me i was sad for 4 years then alex came into my life he brought me to life and makes me happy again i learned to love and embrace life again
    For aftershave... seriously?

And of course the serial copy paster
    Wow yes plz!!!!! This would be smashing for Christmas present if I won I'd wrap it up Plz count me in!!!
    i would absolutely be so excited at the chance of winning this!!!!! Woop woo yes plz!!! Liked & shared for this fabulous giveaway! Thank you for the chance!!
    Gud luck all fingers crossed
    If I rolled my eyes any harder perhaps I'd have a sob story to tell.
    2016 winnings: £983.09
    Good luck everyone
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 8th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    The SACRIFICES she's made. It's like reading the stories of women sending their husbands and children off to a World War. It brought tears to my eyes.

Oh wow I'd love a treat! . ���������� I am young girl and recently found out that I'm pregnant I'm so scared, can't find work, unprepared, unexperienced and clueless as this is my first baby! I want to be the best mum ever. I have given up so much I'm a dolly bird and love dolling myself up but no botox, no fillers, no sun beds, no lifting at the gym, ect also Cutting out coffee, my addiction.. It's no easy! I'v not been able to buy anything as saving and would love a treat !! £100 would be amazing for romper and other baby bits #Competition #win #giveaway #comp ~~~***~~~ ������ Sooooo want !!! Thanks so so so much for a chance to win at your amazingly generous giveaway!! fingers crossed so tightly ~~~***~~~ ������ ~~~***~~~ xoxo Liked and Shared
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.

• hdh74
    • By hdh74 8th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 48,536 Thanks
    hdh74
    I have developed a severe allergic reaction to sob stories, gushing, and the abuse of emojis. My symptoms include an uncontrollable desire to reply to certain comments with the word tosser or worse - I think it's a form of compers tourettes. I'm sure a half-used loo-roll or a bar of chocolate that has been nibbled by your hamster would make me feel a million times better. Thank you soooooooooo much for giving me this chance, I know you are doing it from the goodness of your heart, and will be moved to tears by my plight. I will even donate some of the nibbled chocolate to the next person to just answer the bloody question and nothing else - I promise!

Fingers, eyes, toe-nails etc all tightly crossed, OMG Omg lalalalala.....
    • chrissie57
    • By chrissie57 8th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 118,533 Thanks
    chrissie57
    [QUOTE=strawberri_shortcake;71421420]The SACRIFICES she's made. It's like reading the stories of women sending their husbands and children off to a World War. It brought tears to my eyes.

Oh wow I'd love a treat! . ���������� I am young girl and recently found out that I'm pregnant I'm so scared, can't find work, unprepared, unexperienced and clueless as this is my first baby! I want to be the best mum ever. I have given up so much I'm a dolly bird and love dolling myself up but no botox, no fillers, no sun beds, no lifting at the gym, ect also Cutting out coffee, my addiction.. It's no easy! I'v not been able to buy anything as saving and would love a treat !! £100 would be amazing for romper and other baby

Anyways, wouldn't have thought 'dolly bird' was an expression used by 'young girls' surely - unless they were young in the 60s
    "If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.
    • glittercutcrease
    • By glittercutcrease 8th Oct 16, 2:42 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    glittercutcrease
    The Soletrader comps on Facebook are self-pity central. And how apt, soul - trader!

"I would like a pair for my lovely handsome man who has been through a nightmare week which i wont disclose but every parents worst nightmare. Dispite this he has been strong and brave and things are looking good. But he has a hole in his shoes for work and i cant get any but he diserves a treat for sure."

"Aww truly I would love these for 1 of my son's who's truly come along way over the past 2 yrs he's struggled growing up due to mental health wich lead him down a wrong road.. wow he has battled done further education and what a beautiful person he has become. He is now working along side people with mental health helping them threw their struggles wich makes me proud. So I think these would be very useful as he is on his feet 10 hrs a day. Thankyou for the chance x ��"

But most of the rhymes don't rhyme and the ditties don't make any sense, and as you say, when it's random!!
    Originally posted by lorrainej162
    Burberry boots are the best, I'd love to put them to the test, stylish without doubt, "check"me out, I would look better than all the rest!!

The prize was Barbour boots
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 9th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    The answer is "B"

��������wow����������Oh my word !!!������ would�� ��absolutely love this prize������I've got my fingers crossed ����That i will be the lucky winner����Thankyou for this amazing giveaway ���������� and I've made sure that I've liked and shared ���� (obligatory tag)

• happysaz133
    • By happysaz133 10th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 12,846 Thanks
    happysaz133
    Hhhmmm I agree with you. It's unfortunate, but it wouldn't surprise me if folk just say it just so they can win. We've seen comments that don't shock us anymore, perhaps this is a new tactic. And it kind of pains me to say that.
    Although, why don't the people running the comp just say' Prove you've donated it' and call their bluff? (another thing that won't happen either)
    Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone
    A few comps I have won for prizes of dog and cat food I give them my local rescues address and just get it sent straight there, but I bet you're right, I reckon most who say they will donate it just say it in the hope they will increase their chances of winning. I've never actually mentioned I will donate anything until I get a winning notification and give the address.
    GOAL - win 72 prizes in 2016.
    SO FAR - 29!
    • emily131
    • By emily131 10th Oct 16, 1:14 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 2,810 Thanks
    emily131
    And another...

Win Just Come Out Of Hospital After A Breakdown These Chairs Would Be Better For My Back

(you were just asked to type 'WIN')

Not sure what starting every word with a capital letter is supposed to achieve?
    Last edited by emily131; 10-10-2016 at 1:14 PM. Reason: added more vital information
    • smaisey
    • By smaisey 10th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 33,362 Thanks
    smaisey
    There are so many that I keep seeing posting the same old crap on every post such as:

"OMG!!!! Amazing giveaway! Yes please! Thank you ever so much for the chance to win this fantastic prize! blah blah blah"

I had to laugh at one the other day for a jar or Hoi Sin Sauce no less:

"It is my 50th birthday this month and this would really help me celebrate in style"

Obviously just copied and pasted in every comp but it's pretty pathetic to be honest and annoys the hell out of me.
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 11th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 10,227 Posts
    • 990,313 Thanks
    grannybiker
    If there has ever been a dress that is meant to be mine, this is it. Amazing. I would love to have this in the cupboard for my Nan's funeral when the time comes. She would love it too.

WTF? So is Nan already dead, or is this lady just the height of uber-prepared?
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • mansey
    • By mansey 11th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 5,803 Thanks
    mansey
    If there has ever been a dress that is meant to be mine, this is it. Amazing. I would love to have this in the cupboard for my Nan's funeral when the time comes. She would love it too.

Originally posted by grannybiker
    Again have these folks got no shame.

I bet her Nan would be thrilled to know that she has the dress ready for when she dies
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 11th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake

Thank you SO much for bringing this post into my life!

• BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 11th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    • 8,526 Posts
    • 296,397 Thanks
    BlueBella

LOL! I bet she is planning what date it is going to be after seeing a preview of nan's will! Poor nan - hope she watches her back and doesn't eat the homemade pie her grand-daughter is planning on making for her!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter