Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jamesd
    P2P: MoneyThing
    • 2nd Aug 16, 7:29 PM
    P2P: MoneyThing 2nd Aug 16 at 7:29 PM
    This is a discussion for things specific to the MoneyThing peer to peer lending platform, to make it easier to find those as distinct from more general P2P discussions. More discussion is available at the P2P Independent Forum MoneyThing section.

MoneyThing does a range of lending types that often avoid the ubiquitous property development loans seen in the P2P world at the moment but still does many of those. Interest rates are typically 12% but have ranged from 10-15%. All loans are secured on some sort of physical asset.

The platform received full FCA approval in March 2017, replacing its former interim approval.

As of 1 April 2017 there have been no defaults but eventually this is sure to change since it's a fact of life with lending.

TOPICS: generic P2P, Ablrate, Lendy (formerly Saving Stream), MoneyThing.
    Last edited by jamesd; 16-04-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Page 5
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 18th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    My P2P investments I am building up at present across Moneything, Collateral and Ablrate.

I also have money with Funding Circle, Ratesetter and Zopa but at present not adding any more to these but building and focusing on the above 3. My total P2P is just over 10K at present so far.

The debit card is very good on Ablrate for instant funding (too good ) which I have used on the SM there.
    Originally posted by takesyourchances
    where else do you invest outside p2p?

i didnt know ablrate does debit card instant funding.
    I am constantly dreaming of retirement and financial independence.
    I would like to have enough money to open an animal farm and a charity vegetarian restaurant.
    I am good with savings, but not investments. I am a keen learner, but can be disappointed by my laziness.
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    where else do you invest outside p2p?

i didnt know ablrate does debit card instant funding.
    Originally posted by elephantrosie
    Outside of P2P I have a core investment of Vanguard Lifestrategy trackers, a mixture of managed funds like Emerging Markets, Small Companies and Asian funds.

I also invest in some Investment Trusts like City of London, Murray International for a dividend based portfolio which I reinvest until ready to take and Woodford Income fund, Asian Income, Infrastructure fund and Investment Trust as part of this and my P2P is a smaller proportion of my overall investments mainly started from reducing some cash over into P2P.

I still invest as normal into my stocks and shares ISA etc while building the P2P loans up as well along with it. These are what I invest in at the moment outside of having some property as well.

Yes I have been using my debit card with Ablrate and it works really well and will add some more next week.

Hope that helps.
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 23rd May 17, 1:58 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    Just had a look around moneything and it looks good. My main concern is why would some of the apparently large developers after large loans pay this kind of interest? Why wouldn't they borrow from banks at much lower rates, particularly if they have equity? Is it because they are high risk and banks won't lend?
    Last edited by Rheumatoid; 23-05-2017 at 2:06 PM.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - 4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh; Year 1 Actual = 4152kWh
    • keyboardworrier
    • By keyboardworrier 23rd May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    keyboardworrier
    I've had a deposit pending with MT for quite a while now, not sure if this is normal or not. How long do they normally take?
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 23rd May 17, 2:21 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    They are usually quick but on p2p independent forum today they have mentioned some problems today. They have a backup system in place apparently, just a bit slower.

http://www.p2pindependentforum.com/board/80/moneything
    • keyboardworrier
    • By keyboardworrier 23rd May 17, 2:24 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    keyboardworrier
    They are usually quick but on p2p independent forum today they have mentioned some problems today. They have a backup system in place apparently, just a bit slower.

http://www.p2pindependentforum.com/board/80/moneything
    Originally posted by fun4everyone
    Thanks for that , seems like it should have gone in by now then. I will try another deposit and see what happens...
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 23rd May 17, 2:30 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    Thanks for that , seems like it should have gone in by now then. I will try another deposit and see what happens...
    Originally posted by keyboardworrier
    There is a very responsive rep on that board (username MoneyThing). Try posting in the "deposit" thread there they will help you out. You did fill out the form on the site of course after sending the transfer I am sure?
    • keyboardworrier
    • By keyboardworrier 23rd May 17, 2:38 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    keyboardworrier
    There is a very responsive rep on that board (username MoneyThing). Try posting in the "deposit" thread there they will help you out. You did fill out the form on the site of course after sending the transfer I am sure?
    Originally posted by fun4everyone
    I may sign up for that forum if it doesn't appear, I think I did everything correctly but will re-check. Thanks for your help!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 24th May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 8,957 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I may sign up for that forum if it doesn't appear, I think I did everything correctly but will re-check. Thanks for your help!
    Originally posted by keyboardworrier
    Did you note the despot on the Moneything website as well as send with an appropriate reference?

If you don't do this they won't acknowledge receipt.
    • taylornj
    • By taylornj 24th May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    taylornj
    I did deposits yesterday and today without problems. Two bites out of the new 13% loan.
    • keyboardworrier
    • By keyboardworrier 24th May 17, 9:02 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    keyboardworrier
    Did you note the despot on the Moneything website as well as send with an appropriate reference?

If you don't do this they won't acknowledge receipt.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Everything is sorted, it was my own error!
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 24th May 17, 10:21 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Got to say MT is looking very healthy these days. Millions in new loans available, secondary market awash with loan parts, 13% up for grabs... this is the life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter