Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 1st Aug 16, 8:42 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 484Thanks
    Smolly
    Bereft and Broken
    • 1st Aug 16, 8:42 PM
    Bereft and Broken 1st Aug 16 at 8:42 PM
    I feel very sad that my first ever post on this site is about debt and depression. Iím afraid itís not a positive post Ė I donít feel very positive at the moment, but I have no one to help me. I also apologise for the length. I have read diary after diary, post after post on this site and have been truly inspired by the help given to those in need. I am hoping that even just by getting this out there I start to feel better.

So, what has happened? I finally had my LBM last week. I was on the floor on my hands and knees having a panic attack. I was lonely and afraid and I felt utterly broken. What started it? The realisation that I no longer had the money to keep paying the minimum amounts on my ever increasing debts, and the fact that it was the anniversary of my Dadís death some two years ago, and I still donít seem to be coping very well.

I am under the GP Ė I take anti-depressants, anti-anxiety pills, migraine tablets and an antibiotic for something which rears up in times of acute stress. I have decided I need to go back to the doctor as the panic attacks are fairly new. I have suffered from them in the past but thought I had them under control. Iíve now had two bad ones in two weeks and I feel constantly on edge, like my whole body is shaking but no one can see.

I decided also that I needed to speak to someone about my debts. It was a comment that someone posted on their diary about the cost of teenagers. My son isnít a teenager yet but in a few yearsí time he will be. I donít want to be the Mum who canít afford to send him on school trips or within reason pay for the kind of clothes he would like to wear and not what Mum buys him now from the charity shops. I want to do this now, make this change for him, and of course for me as itís killing me.

After that day I brightened up. I started to plan a few things and today sat down and made it my first priority to go on the Stepchange website. I did the Debt Remedy but I feel now I am back to square one. The results left me in a deep dark depression. I felt so ill and shattered that I just cried and ended up going to bed. Basically I donít earn enough to offer a sufficient amount to my creditors so a DMP wasnít the option. The option suggested was bankruptcy. I donít own the house we live in Ė it is in my husbandís name, as are all of the utilities which he pays for. I pay for groceries and clothes and presents and everything else. I havenít told him about my debts and for reasons I just canít bring myself to go into here I canít tell him. Maybe when Iím clear about the route Iím taking and have made a few inroads then I may tell him as hopefully I will be stronger, but I have to think about our son and my health. I fear if I go down the bankruptcy route we could end up losing this home and it isnít even in my name although after several years Iím sure I have some claim to half of it.

I was advised to make token payments to my creditors and in the meantime think about what route I could take to reduce my debts, and then re-contact Stepchange if my budget changed. I thought I could just pick up the phone and someone would help me? I donít think I can do this alone. Iím prepared to do the token letters and payments and even talk to creditors but I wanted someone there who would help me through this. After I picked myself up this evening and gave myself a good telling off for continuing to be negative about all this, and reminded myself again that I was doing this for my son, I thought maybe I should ring Stepchange anyway in the morning and actually talk to someone. So I think that is what Iím going to do.

I also have another bank account sat in the wings, unattached to any debts I have so tomorrow I am going to see my employer and ask to change my wages over to the new account. I am due a little overtime at the end of August so I am thinking that rather than chuck this at my minimum payments as I have been doing, leaving myself with nothing and then resorting to using credit cards which I can no longer do, I will try to start some kind of emergency fund if there is anything left.

I have not broken anything down yet for here but I owe approximately £26500, over credit cards and two overdrafts and I simply have about £460 coming in each month from one part time job. I did have three which I worked around school runs and my husbandís job so childcare wasnít required, but due to bereavement and a further family complication I had to give two of them up. I have since been selling my things on eBay to try and keep up with repayments, but also adding to my credit cards when there wasnít enough. I know Iíve been an idiot. Itís time to make this right.

I will try to keep coming back to this to update what has happened but some days are very tough and I canít always seem to cope. I am hoping that I can get a DMP in place and start to record it over on the diary forum.

Thank you for reading.
Page 9
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 18th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi all, I am very lucky to have Mum I know it - just wish she thought about what she was going to say first before she came out and said it! I had a really nice chat with her anyway today. I think she is feeling good in herself too because she has been able to help and I am actually really chuffed to bits that she offered and I still have my car. Well I have my car and a lovely new axle holding my wheels on but the handbrake is like a floppy old thing! I rushed back into the garage saying 'my handbrake isn't right - I only paid for that to be fixed a few weeks' ago!' And the lovely man in the garage (he is rather lush!) told me not to worry as the brakes need to bed into the new axle (???) and to come back in a fortnight and they'll sort it with no charge. So for now I put up with a floppy handbrake. I have no other words to describe it!!

I've managed to list a few bits on eBay today. EM - how's your eBay doing? Any bids for you yet?
    And today I posted a couple of things which had sold at the weekend. Both parties got a 'right bargain' but I just felt pleased I had got rid of two rather large cumbersome items.

I never did get the telephone call for the market research project which was going to pay £90 but I didn't think I would. Something better happened today instead - had an email inviting me to do something next week for £120 (whoop whoop). I've accepted and it should take me about 2 hours I think plus all the writing up afterwards but worth it and after deducting some for Mrs HMRC I may then split what I have left between my brother and my mother to pay them a little back what I owe. My sick note (my final one) also finishes this week so I feel I can move on and start doing some extra bits and bobs now.

And I have finally heard from all of my creditors!!! It has been a long journey but I got there. It is only the first hurdle but it feels good. The biggest 4 have all put me on a zero charge for about 3 months. T3sco have accepted £1 a month for 6 months and N@tW3st with whom my overdraft is with are going to 'work with me' once they've had a medical letter. I've just kept the one I got for H5BC and photocopied it - everyone can have a copy of that.

I know these arrangements aren't for ever but there was a time not that long ago when I could make my payments, although it was a huge stressful struggle. I can do it again as long as I have more reasonable amounts to pay back and am not facing a huge interest mountain. (You can tell ladies I am still taking the tablets!!)

What else can I say? Have started the Christmas shopping. Do not want to be dealing with this in December. I was so stressed out last year around Christmas I just wanted to block it all out. It was so sad I just couldn't face it, but this year I want to enjoy it, and not feel rushed and stressed and out of control. I've also had my Hamper vouchers too - how the hell I managed to save £450 I have no idea but I have them in my grubby little mitts and Christmas can go ahead!

Anyway I need to get off and sort a few bits out before I go to bed. Night all and hope everyone ok xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 19th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    Oh wow ! Keep taking the tablets girl ! My GP describes my depression as 'resistant' and says it's ok to 'keep taking the tablets''. This doesn't bother me in the slightest as I can't bear to think of the likely alternative.

My Mum was a 'blunt Northerner' and some of the things she said upset me but I know it wasn't meant to hurt. She was also of that generation that didn't really show affection and never really touched me once I was an adult, no hugs or a quick back rub if I was in pain. We had a lovely relationship though, I'm not perfect (hard to believe, I agree !!!) so she put up with my failings too.

6 of my 11 EBay listings have bids, not as high as I would like. Couple of days to go yet. I never know where to set the starting price. Too low and I would be annoyed if the only bidder got it too cheap, but too high might put people off. It's funny how some things I think will 'fly' don't make a lot, and vice versa. No accounting for taste !
    Last edited by ERICS MUM; 19-10-2016 at 8:45 AM.
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 19th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I'm so glad things are looking up for you, Smolly!

Your mom does sound like she has a good heart, but tactless people can hurt you so easily. I've learned which people to take with a grain of salt - not that they are lying about anything but I don't take what they say to heart anymore. Developed a thicker skin where they are concerned.

I need to get back on the ebay bus, I've had a few things listed that didn't sell. Dh and I are supposed to clear out some things from the dining room to list (he has boxes and boxes of DVDs and video games) the whole thing seems so time consuming and a bit overwhelming. DH would be happy to take them down to the tip but I know people will want some of them and I don't like the thought of perfectly good things becoming landfill rubbish because we can't be bothered to deal with them. I'm going to list them once and if they don't sell, see if Zzifit (?) will take them, if not they will go straight to the charity shop. They will be dealt with in one way or another.

I'm so glad your car has been fixed, it's funny how things turn out often unexpectedly for the better. I just drove the new car to Whitby and back and could not have been happier - it was very comfy even after three hours of driving, I felt safe even during a horrendous rainstorm, and the mpg was better than I thought it would be. I can't believe how gutted I was about our other car, this car is such a blessing.
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 20th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi All, hope everyone ok.

EM - 6 out of 11 listings with bids is very good. Hope you get a few more. I have been slowly listing a few bits here and there but not checked if any have bids yet.

Thistle - I haven't tried Zziffit but I did read a blog recently and someone couldn't recommend it enough. I think that might be the way I go as I have a lot of CDs that need to go. I doubt that DS will ever listen to them like I used to listen to my Mum's and Dad's old Elvis/Platters albums (Can't believe I just said The Platters!). And I doubt that I will get much for them on 3Bay either. The blog lady (Frugal Queen) got about £30 if I recall. Obviously I don't know how much she had to get rid of and I think she included some books too. But I would be pleased with £30 for my collection! I do have a lot of vinyl albums though which I may try on 3Bay.

Anyway I need to go, as stuff to do! Take care everyone xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 21st Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    How did the big mystery shop go?

I haven't actually sent anything to Ziffit yet but did download the app. I'm sure I could get much more for the games and DVDs if I listed them on ebay but there are just too many and we want them out ASAP. Something is better than nothing, though some of the things I scanned were worth .10p.

I'm going to do a box next week, I think you fill one up and take it to Collect+. Sounds easy. Let me know if you give it a try!

The Platters! Who thought that name was a good idea?
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 21st Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    Sold 8 out of 11 on EBay in the end, the remaining 3 are off to the charity shop. That's my lot with EBay for the mo, until my annual spring-clean and I discover more junk to flog !

Pleased that we all seem ok-ish, have a calm peaceful weekend everyone. Xx
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 22nd Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi Thistle and EM - hope you are both ok xx

Thistle the mystery shop was a doddle. I'm not going easy on myself - my sick note ended yesterday and today I have done 4 mystery shops with another planned for tomorrow and one for Monday. The big mystery shop isn't finished yet but it only took about an hour and a half. I've written about a third of the report and will finish off tomorrow. Just hope all ok with my reports but I'm sure they will be fine.

It's a bit galling isn't it when someone offers you 10p for a CD. But just think of that box full of CDs when you're done and what they'll bring you.

EM - you did really well on eBay! Hope I sell a few bits although needless to say I still haven't got my bottom in gear to get the 'new' stuff I got the other day on there yet. You can always come round to mine and get a bit of practice in with the spring-cleaning before you do yours!!

Not much else to report today as I've been busy being a fly on the wall. Looking forward to tomorrow as my friend is driving down from 'up north' to visit relatives and I'm sneaking in a quick visit to catch up by driving half way to meet her. After I've done a mystery shop!!

Mum has been very well-behaved of late. I think she is still really pleased about my car despite the floppy handbrake. Bro is panicking a bit as he had Mum for Christmas last year and his text to me today was very much pointing to that fact and he wanted to know my plans (so that he can plan his own shenanigans). And the OH is just working, working, working after getting a new job and bringing it all home with him in order to make a good impression. For the last two weeks he has barely spoken to me or DS but it suits me at the moment while I get my head together. It also means he isn't concentrating on what I may or may not be doing!

I keep promising a new diary and will hopefully start one next week and lay this one to rest. I can't believe how much better I feel in just 3 months. My debt has increased overall due to interest and the flaming car but that was always going to happen so I'm not too worried about it. I want my new diary to chart how I find ways to get this debt down. I already have a few ideas but I need to get myself back to work, settle in there and then add in other things slowly. It's all very well doing 4 mystery shops in a day but once I'm back at work I won't want to do that. It'll be too much.

Aah I'm rambling again aren't I? I'm going to get off, have a bath and then come back and read everyone else's ramblings.

Nighty night everyone xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 22nd Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    100 posts - get me!
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 22nd Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I'm so annoyed ! I bought a Lotto lucky dip ticket on impulse this morning, and all the numbers were low - the highest was 23 !! What's the chance of winning anything when there are 60 balls ? I feel cheated !
    • PanickyJ
    • By PanickyJ 23rd Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PanickyJ
    Thanks Smolly
    Have tried to respond to your pm to me for which thanks but for some reason couldn't do so. A trust deed is particular to Scotland. I've had yet another sleepless night..can't carry on like this. Xx
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 23rd Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Things are really sounding positive at the moment - with all the mystery shopping, your DH's business and you mum's attitude. It must feel like such a relief.

I hope you have a lovely time with your friend! x
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 23rd Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Thanks EM, Panicky and Thistle for popping in.

EM I never do the lottery - I would forget to check it!!!

Thistle I'm all mystery shopped out this weekend! I managed one this morning but ended up having a terrible coughing fit in the shop. The lovely lady went and got me a drink - top marks to them!!! Yes it is all a bit of a relief...wonder how long it will last?

Panicky - do you have any relatives or friends with whom you can talk to about it? Hopefully you will hear about the Trust Deed soon. Is it like a debt management plan? PM me anytime you want, or do you have a diary yourself? xx

Had a lovely day catching up with my friend - we only had about 5 hours together but neither of us stopped talking it seemed, and if I didn't have a sore throat before I've definitely got one now! I always have a laugh with her when I see her and it's so therapeutic. I need to see her more often and she has invited me up for a weekend before Christmas which I have already accepted!

By tomorrow (end of) I would really like to have achieved:

All letters to creditors with medical letters ready for posting.
    Couple of reviews on Am@zon.
    Three huge bags of summer 3Bay clothing which I have unearthed from the '3Bay Room' put into those vacuum bags and then a suitable place found to store them ready for next year.
    Walk with my reluctant pup. DONE IN A FASHION!!!
    All mystery shop reports up to date DONE
    Invent a tea from the contents of the freezer as I do not want to go food shopping this week if I can help it. DONE
    And one nice thing - finish watching a film I started the other day.

A friend of mine posted something on fb which she is thinking of doing for Christmas and I think it's a really good idea. For a while now I've thought about volunteering at the local foodbank but didn't want to volunteer and then find I couldn't help out. I've done something similar twice before.

Once I volunteered to be an unpaid advisor for the CAB. I did one session and then DS got called into Leeds that night for one of his major ops. I then couldn't do anything for several weeks whilst he recovered and other things took over. Two years ago I volunteered for the Samaritans. I managed one session and then dad passed away. I couldn't cope with it after that.

Anyway the idea my friend has had which she has taken from somewhere on fb is an alternative advent calendar. Everyday from 1st December to 24th put an item of food into a box and then drop it off at the local foodbank on Christmas Eve. I think this is a fantastic idea and I'm going to do it. I'll try and include a few festive bits.

Anyway that's me for today - got to finish my reports to earn some pennies so I can pay for the car insurance at the end of the month which I have totally forgotten about! Only happens every year but there you go.

Take care everyone and Panicky pm if you want xx
    Last edited by Smolly; 24-10-2016 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Part of list completed
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 23rd Oct 16, 11:50 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I'm glad you had such a lovely day!

That's a really nice idea about the foodbank. I just looked and we have a local one as well, I might steal your idea.

There's always another bill waiting - the annual ones should not be a surprise but I always forget about them until they are due, car insurance included. I remembered reading somewhere about dividing the bill by 12 and making sure 1/12th of the money is put away so when the bill comes, you have the money ready to pay it. Of course I never managed so am still shocked when things like the MOT come up.

Not really a yearly bill but one of those things I never budget for - my son had a very old laptop that he took to uni - it's not suitable for his course and gave up the ghost last Wednesday. I'm not sure what to do, he is trying to catch up with his coursework on his old desktop computer but that is from about 2008, so he's having problems. My laptop is the newest in the family (the only one not running on Windows XP!) I think it's about 2 years old now. I am tempted to give it to him but that will leave me with only the ipad mini, which is difficult to record my music on. I feel like his need is greater than mine at the moment. I am trying to be positive but sometimes having no money available for this kind of thing is a pain in the !!!!.
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 24th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi Thistle

I keep trying to save money for things like the MOT, car insurance and breakdown cover but every month I find I have to use the money for something else!! I really need a system. I do put the money into a nominated account but then times get tough and I end up using it. In fairness my budget doesn't actually stretch to stuff like that so maybe I shouldn't even be running my car but as I've been getting a few bits of MS money through I've managed in a fashion.

Maybe after Christmas I need to sit down and work out a very rough average of what I am earning from outside sources such as MS and then do myself a new budget. I may find that I have enough money to pay my creditors back more than £1 a month.

I managed to earn roughly £120 this weekend after expenses from MS but I will need that for the car insurance unless I take on another monthly payment which I'm really loathe to do. I sold one thing on 3Bay last night - not bad to say I had two things ending! I still have about £100 Emergency Fund money sitting in my account but nothing else now until I'm paid on Friday. I might have a bash at some surveys later on Panelbase and Opinion Outpost and see if I can get to payout within the next few days. I may also stick a few bits on our local fb selling page but I tend not to have too much luck with that as there are so many listings - as soon as you list something it gets swallowed up and lost. I'm also going to see if there are any more MS sites worth applying to.

Anyway, feel like I've been sat writing reports all day. Am going to have a cuppa and then vacuum up some of those storage bags which make your clutter mysteriously disappear into a very stiff, very cumbersome and very heavy bit of plastic which is virtually impossible to manoeuvre into any kind of space....and at which point you wish you had never bothered and take all the !!!! to the charity shop!

Must go and hoover, and deal with a muddy dog and and an even grubbier child. What have they been doing?

Take care everyone xxx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 24th Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    By the way Thistle I've responded on your thread about your computer. I've been getting confused. I was reading your thread just now and couldn't understand why I couldn't find certain parts of it I knew I had read. Thought I was losing the plot!! xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 25th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    What have you got planned for today?

We can't really afford to run a car, but things would be dire without it. It's just like everything else in our lives, we keep praying nothing will go wrong because there is no money to fix it. Luckily the new car seems really dependable, and we'd like to keep it that way with regular servicing. Both DH and I need to sit down and go through our expenses and see where we can trim them back even more so when things go wrong we can get them sorted.

I still need to work out my goals, I am good at thinking of things I need to do but actually doing them (or even organising them) is a different matter!

I could use some of those vacuum bags, though I think they might make me more inclined to keep things that should really be given to charity.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 25th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Smolly you need to sort out your budget and work out budgeting ahead for things like the car stuff before you offer any more on your payments, I would suggest. I think you were going to do a full SOA when you start your diary thread, weren't you? That should help!

Fore breakdown cover check out the likes of Kwikfit and AXA - both of those have worked out very cheap for us - I seem to recall we currently pay £58 per car for cover and that includes Homestart and full recovery. I've had cause to use both of those and they've been excellent - AXA in particular actually manage to practice the "joined up thinking" that so few insurance companies achieve!

Thistle - I honestly believe that sticking to a regular service pattern with a car is the right way to prolong their lives. MrEH's last one went on until it passed 180k miles - and to be honest we could have wrung more out of it, we chose to bail out when we did due to advisories (purely age/miales related) on the MoT. Mine's now approaching 130k - I've had her from new and she's still running brilliantly (touch wood - she says as the MoT and Service are due next month!). There have been things that have needed doing but they've always been caught and dealt with before they've turned into major issues.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 25th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hello Ladies!

I've had a really nice day today. Thought the week was going to be 'one of those weeks' when the OH stormed in last night after one of his social do's and just started on me for no apparent reason. I ended up going straight to bed after I told him what he could do and unfortunately had loads of horrible dreams all night. He seems a little better today but he needs to take a chill pill before I clout him.

I took DS to a 'playdate' this morning at the local soft play centre. He had a really good time and I ended up having a good old chinwag with the other mummies. Ended up organising tea out with one friend on Sunday and breakfast next week with two others! Get me! I never do social arrangements like this. I will probably bail out before then.

Thistle I never did do all of the vacuum bag thingys yesterday but I did make a start and have finished the pile I got out this afternoon. Tomorrow I am going to pull everything out from the side of the wardrobe and see what tat I have there, and hopefully incorporate said vacuum bags in with it! I have a mountain of unused vacuum bags now Thistle - I need to store them in a vacuum bag!!

EH - lovely to hear from you. Where have you been hiding? You're very sensible - I do need to do a proper budget. At the moment I feel like I'm just winging it. I got up this morning wondering where I was going to rob money from to do some food shopping and when I looked in my account could see that the child benefit had been paid. Brilliant, only I need that for budgeting for next month. I had been paid some MS money though which I had forgotten about, but I do agree - I need a full list of all bills including those pesky annual ones before I start offering more money.

This evening I shall just potter about on the old pc. I had an idea that when I start my new diary (I keep promising this don't I!) I am going to try and find one new way each month to try and make an extra bit of cash. I was thinking each week but I've got to factor in returning to work and I don't want to fail before I start. So I will start in November. It's likely to be an online way of making money and I'll try it out for the month and see where I get. It could just be a new MS site or a new survey site - I will have to see.

Anyway am going to head over and have a nosey on some other diaries before I make a cuppa. Take care all. xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 26th Oct 16, 1:07 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    That's funny about the vacuum bags!

I'm glad you had a nice day, though sorry about your DH. Are things better now?

Good for you on being social. I used to make plans and then cancel because either I couldn't be bothered or I really didn't want to go in the first place. Lately though I have been making an effort to actually go and do the things I've said I would do. I will admit I have cut way back on committing to anything, but when I make the effort to go out, I am always glad I did. Plus it makes the cosy nights in feel a little more special.

DH and I have yet to formally make the budget, but reading EH's post has inspired me. I have band practice tonight and a folk club on Thurs. so maybe Friday night we can sit down and work out where every penny is going. What an exciting life we lead!

I hope you're having a good day x
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 26th Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Thanks Thistle - OH is OH - doubt he'll ever change but yes thank you, things are a bit better today. I haven't strangled him anyway!!

Had a funny old sort of day - spent most of it down the side of the wardrobe. Amazing what you find. Found a brand new Christmas tree - a mini one mind but still new in its box. I found £7.35 plus £1.80 worth of stamps, and some lovely photos of DS when he was a baby. Plus all the usual tat. I had a really good go with my new vacuum bags and everything now is sucked to within an inch of its life. It looks all neat and tidy but heaven help me if I need to look for anything!

And then this afternoon fatigue hit me and I needed an hour's nanna nap. I felt fine though - not depressed or anything and felt much better afterwards. I really love being at home when DS is here. I'm so lucky to be able to take my holidays at the same time as him.

We're off to Mum's tomorrow afternoon and staying over until Friday morning. I'll probably be back with her on Saturday as I think it's my brother's weekend off, and then Sunday will just be spent catching up on everything before DS goes back to school and I go back to work.

I had a bit of a shock when I saw my mobile bill the other day. It had £18 worth of extra costs on which I can't afford. One quick look and some rogue text message has been coming through charging me £4.50 each time! I thought you were charged when you sent a text, not received one! Anyway, somewhere in the past probably when I've been signing up to some new money making venture I must have put my mobile number in on something and not read the small print and ended up receiving a weekly text message regarding entering a competition, but each time it comes through I have been charged £4.50.

Now I don't like stuff like this so got straight on it. Rang Virgin who gave me a number to call and unsubscribe which was the first thing. I found out over the weekend and on Monday morning got a text confirming I had been unsubscribed (I did check I hadn't been charged for that message!). I had also rung the number again and left a message that I wanted a refund.

After lots of googling I thought I had found the company responsible so sent them a message asking for a refund. Monday morning got another text saying send your details to this email address and we'll sort a refund. Seemed far too easy. It was however a completely different company to the one I'd complained to!

I sent the email and got a response saying I'll get a cheque within 28 days. We will see but until then I'm putting it down to experience and will have to find the extra £18 in a few days for the increased bill.

Anyway I am off now. I feel quite tired. Hope you have had a good day too Thistle. I will pop over to your diary now and have a quick look and see what you've been up to xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,883Posts Today

6,640Users online

Martin's Twitter