Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissB1988
    • By MissB1988 31st Jul 16, 10:41 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MissB1988
    Beware rental scam
    • 31st Jul 16, 10:41 PM
    Beware rental scam 31st Jul 16 at 10:41 PM
    Hi.

Ive recently been the victim of a rental scam on gumtree. I put an ad on there saying i require a property that accepts housing benefit. Long story short i was contacted and discussions took place where they said they lived far away and would need a holding fee first before i viewed it as they have been let down with viewings in the past and wanted to make sure i had the money. Me being desperate for a this type of property and being in supported acommodation suffering with mental helath difficulties snapped at the chance. I didnt want the property to go so sent the fraudsters 500 quid onyl to learn it was all fake.

They sent tenancy agreements and other supporting documents. The photos were taken from a number of estate agents websites, my friend pointed this out and thats how i found out it was a scam.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lessons learnt and i know i was incredibly niave!!! anybody that does something similar and gets approached by a samantha boakes from coventry beware. Theyve probably changed their name now. They used 688 sewall highway, coventry as the address. Ive already found one complaint online of a caller name of rosemarie grant linked to this address, so they must change their names not sure why they dont change the address though.

The police know and the bank tried to get the money back but its been withdrawn.
    Last edited by MissB1988; 31-07-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: forgto some bits
Page 2
    • G_M
    • By G_M 22nd Jan 17, 6:40 PM
    • 40,151 Posts
    • 45,855 Thanks
    G_M
    Stranger rings up and explains that if I send him £X000 he'll invest it in a scheme for me guaranteed to earn me 22% every year.

'Bob' from Nigeria sends me an email asking for help moving £2.2m out of Nigeria and offering me 5% of that if I'll just send him all my bank details for the transfer.

Nice lady wants to buy my 2nd hand car for twice its value. She can't inspect it as she's currently abroad but she trusts me. She'll transfer me the money, plus transport fee, if I'll pay the transportation fee to blah blah blah

Frankly it astounds me that any of these scams work - but apparantly there are lot of really stupid gullible people in the world....
    • tim123456789
    • By tim123456789 22nd Jan 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    tim123456789
    Please be aware that this scam is still on going
    Originally posted by flora48

well of course it is

it's a standard scam used the world over (I had it in Copenhagen)

as soon as they ask for a fee to view you know they are a scammer

but as long as there are people who pay it will continue
    • Taylorpearce24
    • By Taylorpearce24 24th Jan 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Taylorpearce24
    Am so glad I have found this!!! I was a bit weary but went along. She sent me a tenancy agreement so I looked up the address she was registered at and this instantly came up. She used the name Caroline Parker wanted £500 deposit before even viewing! She also contacted me on 2 different phone numbers!
    • flora48
    • By flora48 4th Feb 17, 11:31 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    flora48
    You'd have thought it would be a good idea to set up a sting seeing as they approach those advertising for properties.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    This is exactly what I hope will happen. My 86 year old m-l-l has informed the police of her £500 loss but has yet to hear anything.
    These scammers need stopping!
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Feb 17, 11:40 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 5,127 Thanks
    davidmcn
    You'd have thought it would be a good idea to set up a sting seeing as they approach those advertising for properties.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    How would this sting work? They're not daft enough to turn up in real life.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 5th Feb 17, 12:41 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    sparky130a

Sending money to strangers is never advisable.
    Originally posted by G_M
    You've got that right. Every year some t055p0t from HMRC rips me off right royally!
    • tim123456789
    • By tim123456789 5th Feb 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    tim123456789
    How would this sting work? They're not daft enough to turn up in real life.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    oh they will if they sniff money

but you have to be clever
    • Dean67
    • By Dean67 5th Feb 17, 5:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dean67
    So where would people say is a good place to find private landlords?
    • mi5tery
    • By mi5tery 5th Feb 17, 11:13 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    mi5tery
    These people get my blood boiling!

My 86 year old m-l-l has informed the police of her £500 loss but has yet to hear anything.
    These scammers need stopping!
    Originally posted by flora48
    Can I ask, how was this crime reported? Did your MIL go through Action Fraud?
    • flora48
    • By flora48 7th Feb 17, 7:46 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    flora48
    These people get my blood boiling!

Can I ask, how was this crime reported? Did your MIL go through Action Fraud?
    Originally posted by mi5tery
    My relative says she reported it to the Fraud Squad, presumably by telephone.
    • By 45002 7th Feb 17, 8:23 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Hi.

Ive recently been the victim of a rental scam on gumtree. I put an ad on there saying i require a property that accepts housing benefit. Long story short i was contacted and discussions took place where they said they lived far away and would need a holding fee first before i viewed it as they have been let down with viewings in the past and wanted to make sure i had the money. Me being desperate for a this type of property and being in supported acommodation suffering with mental helath difficulties snapped at the chance. I didnt want the property to go so sent the fraudsters 500 quid onyl to learn it was all fake.

They sent tenancy agreements and other supporting documents. The photos were taken from a number of estate agents websites, my friend pointed this out and thats how i found out it was a scam.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lessons learnt and i know i was incredibly niave!!! anybody that does something similar and gets approached by a samantha boakes from coventry beware. Theyve probably changed their name now. They used 688 sewall highway, coventry as the address. Ive already found one complaint online of a caller name of rosemarie grant linked to this address, so they must change their names not sure why they dont change the address though.

The police know and the bank tried to get the money back but its been withdrawn.
    by MissB1988
    For Reference

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2697992-Ive-been-scammed-out-500-by-a-rental-scam

https://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-and-house-for-rent-wanted/anyone-looking-for-a-flat-locally-if-contacted-by-rosemarie-grant-it-is-a-scam.-do-not-believe-them/1201270819

http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=01727260372

https://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-and-house-for-rent-wanted/-avoid-avoid-avoid-/1204732946
    Last edited by 45002; 07-02-2017 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Extra url's added
    • debzy19
    • By debzy19 8th Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    debzy19
    shes still operating the scam. she has just tried to scam me but luckily i looked her up. she was due toi meet me next week to view the property but had told me the property was mine already which didnt seem right. looked her up and low and behold there is quite a lot about her on various sites where she has taken peoples money. i wouldn't have parted with the money without viewing the property and signing papers with a legit solicitor but she is very convincing
    • davelewis
    • By davelewis 21st May 17, 4:39 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    davelewis
    I am a landlord and have just had a would be tenant phoning me to inform me that my property is being scammed by Caroline Parker of 688 Seawall Highway, Coventry, West Midlands CV6 7JJ.

'Caroline' had responded to a genuine advert on gunmtree by a local Swansea lady looking for a 2 bed house. 'Caroline' offered my house (!) but wanted £400 in cash before the lady could even view the property. Luckily the local lady used her instinct and got a copy of the Land Registry title deeds for my property which she used to identify me as the real landlord and phoned me. I am so glad the local lady did not hand over any money.

I am waiting for the police to arrive - I have copies of the e-mails, fake tenancy agreements and a mobile phone number for 'Caroline Parker' but I know all details will be fake. I hope any future would be tenants see this thread before parting with any money.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 21st May 17, 7:46 PM
    • 40,151 Posts
    • 45,855 Thanks
    G_M
    That 'sting' that was mentioned some posts back... Could you pursuade the local lady, and police, to follow through and catch her in the act....?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 21st May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    According to google maps that address seems to be a real address so who is having their address used by this person?
    • migliuuute
    • By migliuuute 8th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    migliuuute
    I am so happy I have googled her name as she about to send me the letting agreement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,048Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin