Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emma.cook3
    • By emma.cook3 30th Jul 16, 9:48 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 25Thanks
    emma.cook3
    5 year old parking ticket rears its head again!
    • 30th Jul 16, 9:48 PM
    5 year old parking ticket rears its head again! 30th Jul 16 at 9:48 PM
    jishxbjdhbxjdhbzhjdhxbjdhbxhjdhbxjdhhxjdhbihdbxihd x
    Last edited by emma.cook3; 22-08-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Jul 16, 10:10 PM
    • 34,127 Posts
    • 18,080 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 30th Jul 16, 10:10 PM
    • 30th Jul 16, 10:10 PM
    The old advice still applies for you!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 30th Jul 16, 10:48 PM
    • 16,350 Posts
    • 25,444 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 30th Jul 16, 10:48 PM
    • 30th Jul 16, 10:48 PM
    Read dozens upon dozens of threads here and on PePiPoo about exactly the same issue (other than dates). Follow those, no need for any separate (duplicate) advice.

Come back if your case significantly differs from those as time passes.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 30th Jul 16, 10:49 PM
    • 8,025 Posts
    • 8,215 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 30th Jul 16, 10:49 PM
    • 30th Jul 16, 10:49 PM
    Nothing has changed in this case - POFA came into force in late 2012 - So if the ticket was before then, just keep-on ignoring!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 31st Jul 16, 10:29 AM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 6,728 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 31st Jul 16, 10:29 AM
    • 31st Jul 16, 10:29 AM
    I take it that they do not know who was driving. If so you should copy it to the SRA with a robust complaint.

https://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

The more complaints they get about BWL the more likely they are to sanction them.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • fil cad
    • By fil cad 31st Jul 16, 8:06 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    fil cad
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:06 PM
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:06 PM
    Give the silly bunts some nice crisp monopoly money.
    PPCs say its carpark management, BPA say its raising standards..... we all know its just about raking in the revenue.
    • catfunt
    • By catfunt 31st Jul 16, 9:03 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    catfunt
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:03 PM
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:03 PM
    i got a parking ticket in a free for 2 hours car park in 2011. i ignored it and got a few letters from legal companies then heard nothing further. This week I got a letter from BW legal. its very badly worded and says the charge has been passed on to them and I have to pay £154.00. What do I do? The old advice was to ignore but now the advice is different. But its 5 years old!
    Originally posted by emma.cook3
    When was the alleged parking event?? (month and year will do). It will become statute-barred after six years, i.e. they wont be able to pursue you at all after then.
    Got a Private Parking Notice??
    ** Do Not Pay
    ** Do Not Ignore a Notice to Keeper (except Scotland)
    ** Do not mention who was driving (No "Me" Myself" "I")
    ** Never, ever phone a Private Parking Company
    ** Please read the NEWBIES thread at the top of the forum
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 31st Jul 16, 9:52 PM
    • 34,127 Posts
    • 18,080 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:52 PM
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:52 PM
    When was the alleged parking event?? (month and year will do). It will become statute-barred after six years, i.e. they wont be able to pursue you at all after then.
    Originally posted by catfunt
    They will be able to carry on trying to get paid, - but cannot take legal action after 6 years
    • Fixtrace6
    • By Fixtrace6 1st Aug 16, 3:43 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Fixtrace6
    • 1st Aug 16, 3:43 PM
    • 1st Aug 16, 3:43 PM
    I have received letter from Vehicle Control Services Ltd saying they have passed "your account ... to our legal team". The legal team is BW Legal.
    The pcn was issued in September 2012 at Liverpool Airport.
    I am the redgistered keeper but was not driving at the time so I am happy to keep on ignoring.
    What's the percentage chance of LBA or court summons? Does anyone know?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 1st Aug 16, 4:02 PM
    • 17,168 Posts
    • 21,455 Thanks
    Redx
    you will receive an LBA (LBC) , probably from BW LEGAL, unless this recent letter you received IS the LBC

there is ZERO CHANCE of a court summons, because this is a civil matter

however, there is a chance they may try an MCOL (google it)
    Last edited by Redx; 01-08-2016 at 4:20 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 1st Aug 16, 4:18 PM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    And to add to the above excellent advice, this isn't your thread - please start your own new thread if you still need advice.
    • Fixtrace6
    • By Fixtrace6 2nd Aug 16, 4:53 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Fixtrace6
    Let us know what you do. I started my own thread about a 4 year old pcn at jla. I am drafting a reply to bw legal. I will post how it goes on.
    Out of curiosity was your letter from bw legal signed BW Legal as if that was a person? If so, it cannot be a letter before action as they must be from an individual (so I have been told). I'm curious to know how you get on.
    dltbgyd
    • fil cad
    • By fil cad 2nd Aug 16, 7:53 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    fil cad
    Have fun with them, pay monopoly money
    PPCs say its carpark management, BPA say its raising standards..... we all know its just about raking in the revenue.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Aug 16, 12:42 AM
    • 52,881 Posts
    • 66,408 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Out of curiosity was your letter from bw legal signed BW Legal as if that was a person? If so, it cannot be a letter before action as they must be from an individual (so I have been told).
    Originally posted by Fixtrace6
    That's rubbish! Who told you that? Solicitors very often sign in the name of the firm, it is normal practice.

I believe both posters here should respond robustly to BW Legal but then the amount of threads we have here about these letters, I expect they both know that from their reading of the forum.

BW Legal threads are coming out of our ears with some good examples of response letters all over the place (and on pepipoo forum too).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Fixtrace6
    • By Fixtrace6 27th Aug 16, 10:01 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Fixtrace6
    Thanks Coupon Mad. Didn't realise solicitors just signed by their company name.
    Have made a BW Legal comment on another page to do with a 4 year old pcn.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 28th Aug 16, 12:12 AM
    • 52,881 Posts
    • 66,408 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thanks Coupon Mad. Didn't realise solicitors just signed by their company name.
    Have made a BW Legal comment on another page to do with a 4 year old pcn.
    Originally posted by Fixtrace6
    No need to ask any questions - everything is already covered in the umpteen dozen threads about these letters on pepipoo, we must have seen close to a hundred threads about them by now. Start reading (if not at court stage do NOT get bogged down reading defences/claim threads):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

And LoveNorfolk's thread* on here is worth reading for the SRA and CSA complaints to send about BW Legal's misleading letters. Everyone needs to be complaining like this about these letters (obviously not just copying the examples in LoveNorfolk's thread completely, firstly check your letters actually state the same things...). Certainly the same wording can be used/adapted and copied if relevant.

Get complaining and keep responding to BW Legal, which seems to stop court papers arriving as you then tie them up in replies and also, responding to those formal complaints.

*No link to LoveNorfolk's thread given, I never give easy links, posters need to search & research...
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Mareczek
    • By Mareczek 5th Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mareczek
    Hi,
    I would be grateful for any advice on how to deal with an MCOL relating to an alleged parking infringement on 22 August 2012.

My daughter has received a set of Claim Forms today (5 January 2018) from the County Court Business Centre in Northampton, initiated by BW Legal Services on behalf of the Clamant, Excel Parking Services.

She appealed against the PCN promptly in 2012, on the grounds that she had never ever parked her car in The Square Chorlton - !!! - Hardy, Manchester. On the date concerned she drove onto the car park with her late Grandmother as a passenger, hoping to find a disabled space, as her grandmother was a wheelchair user. There were no disabled spaces available, so she left the car park immediately via the other entrance / exit.

Some time later, after having lunch elsewhere in Manchester, she returned to The Square Car Park via the entrance / exit she used the last time she left that car park, as they wished to visit Boots the Chemist. Again there were no disabled spaces available, so she promptly left the car park via the opposite entrance / exit.

She explained all this in writing as per the firm's policy, and pointed out that if she had parked her vehicle in that car park, surely there must be photographic evidence of that. There wasn't any evidence of that, just selected ANPR images of her entering and leaving the car park. She asked how could she be charged for parking, if the disabled spaces were full, and she left the car park immediately on establishing same.

She was asked to produce evidence that she had been somewhere else, at the times they assumed she was parked in the car park. At that point I got involved, and told her to ignore any further communications from them.

She did not hear any more from them until last year, when a number of threatening letters arrived for her attention, and several threatening phone calls to her mobile phone (I don't know where they got her number from).

My daughter is a highly skilled Primary School Teacher, has never had any convictions or fines, motoring or otherwise. She is an innocent in these matters, and doesn't deserve this hassle.

They are claiming £100.00 PCN, interest of £39.22, and £54.00 for 'contractual costs pursuant to PCN terms & conditions'. There is a £25.00 Court fee, Legal Representative's costs £50.00. Total £268.22.

Sorry for the length of this diatribe. The event was 5 years 4 months ago.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Mareczek; 06-01-2018 at 12:24 AM.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    KeithP
    Hasn't a statute of limitations expired for this sort of thing (well over 6 years)?
    Originally posted by Mareczek
    Yes it has.

But if you want further advice then you'll need to start your own thread.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 5th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    Hi Mareczek, and welcome to the forum ......

you have posted on an old thread ...

we try to keep all requests for help to a ' one thread per request' ....

so could you please re post on a new thread .....

the link can be found here ...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

along with the newbie thread for advice ...

Ralph
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 52,881 Posts
    • 66,408 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You posted on a thread that's 18 months old. Instead, click back to read the NEWBIES thread (see below).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,886Users online

Martin's Twitter