Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 27th Jul 16, 10:00 AM
    • 990Posts
    • 2,868Thanks
    debtaghh
    I want to stop drowning
    • 27th Jul 16, 10:00 AM
    I want to stop drowning 27th Jul 16 at 10:00 AM
    Hi,

I am not sure where to start or what I want from this but here goes ...

We are in major debt and things seem to be getting worse, I have been looking at this site for years and know there is no point me posting my soa as we literally can't cut back any more e.g

food shop for fam of 5 £240- if you can help me reduce this then that would be great. I shop at Aldi, Lidl etc and have most shops locally.
    We just got rid of sky and have reduced mobiles, gas etc.

We can't do an iva or dmp etc as we are in rented accomadation and I know estate agents can use guarantors etc but we don't have one plus they are not that keen as I have mentioned it before to them. Where we live , it's really hard to rent as there are limited properties and having bad credit would just go against us which we really can't do.

Our biggest issues are that I do things that I end up regretting e.g booking holidays in the uk which still add up, book parties for the kids etc. I don't know how we got into so much debt but assume it must be down to this and i've never been on a good salary. My business has been hit badly and never recovered. I'm currently looking for a part time job but can't see this happening soon as I need it to be enough salary to cover childcare for my baby. My husband is on a good salary but works shifts which means I can't rely on him for childcare help and we don't have any family that can help us. I've tried working for direct selling companies and sell things on music magpie, ebay and gumtree ( I literally have nothing else to sell). I use cashbaack sites too and did do surverys but never seem to be eligible but will stary back with that- any recommendations for good ones? Or any ideas of making more money from home?

We are due to go away soon and I would love to have advice on how we can save money on food whilst staying at a hotel, I thought I will bring snacks from home and croissants, drink cartons for breakfast but don't want to be speending loads on lunch and dinners.

I also feel pressure from my family when it comes to birthdays and christmas time with regards to buying expensive pressies. We have a holiday booked at christmas too ( I know not ideal).

I supoose I'm writng this to start afresh as I can't carry on like this anymore. I am severly depressed and wake up exhausted every day and have no motivation to do anything. I feel like we are drowing in debt. I am currently receiving cbt but in all honesty the crux of the situation is the debt is the issue. I'm sick of having regrets and living life like this so fingers crossed to new me, it' going to take years but here goes.....
Page 44
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 5th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Storm89
    yay to the very balance . I have one of those hanging over me so can't wait to get shot of it too. is that your weekly shop for that price? don't know if I missed some posts.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 5th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Thanks. Yes it is but may need more fruit mid next week. Iím on a tight budget so am using the freezer and cupboard supplies up.
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc £49,987- family £37,561: total debt £87549

Current debt: Cc £48,233 , Family £ 37,042 total debt £85,275

Frugal living challenge # 10- £8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 5th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Storm89
    oh yeah that makes sense. January seems like such a long month doesn't it.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 5th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 9,772 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Well done on the frugal shop and clearing very.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Woo hoo, another one bites the dust. Does that mean you have a bit more to snowball onto the dreaded b-card now?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 0/£2,500
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 5th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Woo hoo, another one bites the dust. Does that mean you have a bit more to snowball onto the dreaded b-card now?
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hopefully, it has reduced my outgoings by £25 but we are going to have a shortfall so it just reduces that.

I did make some sales today so I paid £100 off the bc

Frugal living challenge # 10- £8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 5th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 9,772 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Well done on the £100 to Barclaycard. Do the minimums increase from January or February?

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 5th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Mine is January and dh is Feb

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 5th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 5,825 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    All going well , especially with the shopping .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3209 CC2 £400

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Jan 18, 7:37 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I havenít got much planned this weekend but have asked dh if he can take the chn swimming ( itís free) to give me the chance to catch up with admin for my business. This past week has been successful with me doing lots of jobs off my list ( like tidying cupboards etc). I would like to get all my jobs off the list that donít involve money. I have get new passports on my list , we are not going abroad but I have family abroad and worry if anything happens we wouldnít be able to go. It happened a few years ago a family member sadly passed away and my dd couldnít come as she didnít have a passport. I also would like as much off my list now so if I find a job I donít have lists of things to do.

I have been job hunting every day but there is nothing suitable
    I am unsure what to do with money from sales should I use it on my bc ( currently 0% until jan 2019) but high minimum or pay towards the Nuba which is 0% until June or pay toward dh bc which will have the higher minimum from Feb and is 6.9%? ( but is a lower rate then the Nuba or my bc will go to). The reason I paid £100 off my bc yesterday is because Iím wanting to lower the balance ASAP to reduce the minimum.

Have a good frugal day everyone

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Jan 18, 7:57 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'm no expert, but personally I think getting the minimum payments lower on the barclaycards to reduce your monthly shortfall may be the way to go. Unless you can clear something else and snowballing the payments from that will cover the shortfall.

Someone else may have a much better answer than me.

While you are job hunting, could dh do any overtime at work to cover the shortfall?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 9,772 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would pay it off the bc.

I think passports for 5 of you will be astronomical. How would you even get the money together for flights? Is it close family? Maybe you should start up a separate savings pot for paying for passports and flights but in your situation I am not sure I would give that preference at the moment for something which may not happen.

• debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    I'm no expert, but personally I think getting the minimum payments lower on the barclaycards to reduce your monthly shortfall may be the way to go. Unless you can clear something else and snowballing the payments from that will cover the shortfall.

Someone else may have a much better answer than me.

While you are job hunting, could dh do any overtime at work to cover the shortfall?
    I would pay it off the bc.

I think passports for 5 of you will be astronomical. How would you even get the money together for flights? Is it close family? Maybe you should start up a separate savings pot for paying for passports and flights but in your situation I am not sure I would give that preference at the moment for something which may not happen.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Thanks for your replies. I will carry on paying towards the bc.

Regarding the passports , we need three as me and dd have a valid one. I agree itís not our priority and maybe I can use my coin pot towards this. My aunts, uncles, cousins live abroad and an aunt that is like a nan to me. I agree about flights , they would cost a fortune. I think Iíll allocate my coin pot for passports and potential flights. I donít have a lot in there as I emptied it out about a month ago but at least I know what itís for.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Jan 18, 8:20 AM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 9,772 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Ok so it is not ideal but it is your family so if the worst happens you have a passport and could save up enough for a flight for you and DH could stay at home with the DC.

• debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    I have found three jobs that Iím going to apply for. They will not make me a lot of money whilst paying childcare but it will only be for a while longer and Iím hoping will boost my confidence being back in a working environment. All I can do is try!

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Good luck with the applications. Just remember your parenting experience is just as valid as work experience. Not many 'real' jobs give experience of high level tactical negotiations do they?
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Good luck with the applications. Just remember your parenting experience is just as valid as work experience. Not many 'real' jobs give experience of high level tactical negotiations do they?
    Very true. I also find a lot of jobs donít take my self employed business into account. Iíve applied for four jobs so fingers crossed.

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Very true. I also find a lot of jobs donít take my self employed business into account. Iíve applied for four jobs so fingers crossed.
    Originally posted by debtaghh
    Some 'out of the box' thinking for the personal statement then? What sort of jobs are they?
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Some 'out of the box' thinking for the personal statement then? What sort of jobs are they?
    Iíve been trying to apply for admin roles primarily but I donít think I stand a chance as I donít know all the big words etc!

• debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 7th Jan 18, 7:25 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I went to bed early last night with a funny tummy and am feeling a bit sensitive today. Iím planning on taking it fairly easy as I donít feel I ever give myself a proper day off. Iím hoping for my 3rd nsd of the year. I need to update my signature at some point to reflect recent payments made.

Have a lovely frugal day everyone.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,782Posts Today

6,510Users online

Martin's Twitter