Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 26th Jul 16, 7:04 PM
    • 111Posts
    • 18Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Halifax ditches £5 monthly reward for Clarity customers
    • 26th Jul 16, 7:04 PM
    MSE News: Halifax ditches £5 monthly reward for Clarity customers 26th Jul 16 at 7:04 PM
    More than 150,000 Halifax Clarity customers will no longer be able to pocket £5/month for using their credit card...
    Read the full story:
    'Halifax ditches £5 monthly reward for Clarity customers Ė but new online applicants can still get it... for now'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 3
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Aug 16, 5:22 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I've had a Clarity card for years and find it very useful and love the £5 per month reward. What would be the problem with closing my existing account down and then next day applying for another and keeping the £5 reward for new customers only? I can't see on Halifax's website any place which refers to the £5 reward being available for new customers though.
    Originally posted by dfurn
    They scrapped it for new customers in June.
    • dfurn
    • By dfurn 5th Aug 16, 7:19 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    dfurn
    They scrapped it for new customers in June.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Thanks for the reply. I note the MSE news article is entitled "Halifax ditches £5 monthly reward for Clarity customers Ė but new online applicants can still get it... for now" and states "..those who apply online can still trouser the monthly bonus if they do so before Tuesday 9 August." Obviously if the Halifax website does not state that I guess the article is wrong?
    • Careful_ly
    • By Careful_ly 22nd Sep 16, 1:53 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Careful_ly
    My statement date is 18th September.

I asked in branch if I qualified for £5 if I spend £300 between now and the end of September and was told yes.

I have rang to check and been told no, then she went away to check and came back and said yes.

Has anyone else queried this?

I think it would have been better to finish the scheme on each individuals September statement date.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 22nd Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters

I asked in branch if I qualified for £5 if I spend £300 between now and the end of September and was told yes.

I have rang to check and been told no, then she went away to check and came back and said yes.

I think it would have been better to finish the scheme on each individuals September statement date.
    Originally posted by Careful_ly
    Ive not had a letter saying it's been removed yet. Until I get two months notice I expect it to keep being paid.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 22nd Sep 16, 8:16 PM
    • 10,460 Posts
    • 8,445 Thanks
    jimjames
    This is always quoted wrong:

Who qualifies for the £5/month Clarity card reward?

You must...

Hold a Halifax current account and pay in £1,000 or more each month; or use Halifax's switching service to move your current account to a Halifax current account and agree to pay in £1,000 or more each month; or open or hold a Halifax Ultimate Reward Current Account (no minimum pay-in required)
    Spend at least £300 on the Clarity credit card each month

Halifax reward is £750 a month:

https://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/rates-rewards-fees/Default.asp
    Originally posted by ScoobyZ
    I'm curious about this. Has it changed recently? I've received the £5 credit card reward every month yet only paid in £750 to my bank account.

Just found that Sept wasn't paid and was trying to find why!

EDIT - just found a copy of new T&Cs from June where it appears. Very sneaky in my view, no mention of any eligibility changes just making them more readable and it's only shown on the last page. But that will teach me for not reading all the documentation in more detail!
    Last edited by jimjames; 22-09-2016 at 8:30 PM.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    • 10,460 Posts
    • 8,445 Thanks
    jimjames

Originally posted by Careful_ly
    My letter clearly says the final reward would be paid on Oct statement.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 22nd Sep 16, 8:47 PM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 11,972 Thanks
    Westie983
    Its is removed at the end of september so the last reward payment will show on the october statement

All account holders were sent mailing in June advising that the changes were coming into force.

Explained here on MSE,

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/07/halifax-ditches-5-monthly-reward-for-clarity-customers--but-new-online-applicants-can-still-get-it
    Save 12k in 2016 #16 Total £12350/£12000 = 102.91%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 9 #97 Total £250/£250 = 100.00% ( from Sue x 8)
    Xmas 2016 £1 a Day #6 Total £400/£366 = 109.28%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £500/£800 = 62.50%

£2 Savers Club 2016 #104 Total (£1060)+£380/£2000 = 72.00%
    Total £14940/£15416 = 96.91%
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 22nd Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Its is removed at the end of september so the last reward payment will show on the october statement

All account holders were sent mailing in June advising that the changes were coming into force.

Explained here on MSE,

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/07/halifax-ditches-5-monthly-reward-for-clarity-customers--but-new-online-applicants-can-still-get-it
    Originally posted by Westie983
    Not those who opened their account in April.
    • pfpf
    • By pfpf 22nd Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    • 4,069 Posts
    • 2,810 Thanks
    pfpf
    Not those who opened their account in April.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    those waters look like they may become a little choppy
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 22nd Sep 16, 10:20 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    those waters look like they may become a little choppy
    Originally posted by pfpf
    Ill be amazed if my fiver survives the turn of the year ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

6,057Users online

Martin's Twitter