Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 25th Jul 16, 8:32 PM
    • 299Posts
    • 1,371Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hugglemonster's debt free diary
    • 25th Jul 16, 8:32 PM
    Hugglemonster's debt free diary 25th Jul 16 at 8:32 PM
    Hi all welcome to my diary - edited due to similarities with a fellow user which looked a bit strange

Anyway... I have a few bits of debt that I just need to get rid of and a house that is in need of repair, along with plans for the future involving lots of trips with hubby and the kids. The debt is manageable on a monthly basis but we have slipped recently with our spending so need to get back on top of it and get rid asap.

I am good at various aspects of money saving i.e. using vouchers, cashback sites, doing surveys etc but have neglected the food menu and shopping list which is our biggest spends area. I'm not going to do an SOA as I already have one written and I know the areas that need addressing.

Today has been good, I've researched home insurance and got a reduction of £2 per month and cashback of £30, printed off some vouchers and we have eaten at home from food we batch cooked at the weekend. Lots of washing done and mostly dried outside plus some on the airer.

Not so good lurking in the background is that we are currently without a car (using hire car from insurance comp) as some dingbat drove into the back of me a few weeks ago and we are still waiting for payment so we can get a different one (ours was a write off), we know what we want and payments will be similar to what we have been paying for a bigger car that will be ideal for our needs. I know getting finance for car isn't good but we had such a rotten car before and I need a reliable one for work so that's our luxury.

I have paid one small debt of £100 off today which is a little boost and have plans for the rest but equally we need to put some money into things around the house that need sorting, therefore I have two lists; Debt, and Savings

Debt:
    Computer £646.52
    Overdraft 1 £1100
    Overdraft 2 £1500
    Credit card £2200
    Car - not even going there at the mo!

Savings/to buy:
    Skip - to clear rubbish from 'The Great Big Declutterathon'
    Carpet for dd bedroom
    Curtains and curtain pole for dd bedroom plus new drill
    dd new school uniform as going to High School in September
    dd and ds school shoes
    ds birthday (August)
    bark chippings for back garden areas

There is much, much more to save for and buy but this is my current list, so on the debt front I will be concentrating on the computer first as this is the smallest amount and then will snowball the monthly payments.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck and hard work begins now.

Hugglemonster x
    Last edited by hugglemonster; 11-08-2016 at 4:14 AM.
Page 13
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Aug 17, 9:25 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Evening x

No payments today but we are enjoying a bottle of wine each whilst kids are at my parents as today we had some good news, dh had inquired about working in a different department at his work as it's more pay and more opportunity to learn different parts of the trade so if 10 years time when the place may close he has more chance of applying for jobs and being successful. However it meant 10 hour days and alternate weekends plus he wouldn't have his company van so would have to get another car.

His 2 bosses of his department wanted to keep him and the regional manager also had good things to say about him so they've given him a 10% pay rise from 1st August plus he works his usual 8 hours and has his van plus he can still learn different aspects of the job. He's on a massive high this evening!

So I'm thinking pay off debt quicker and still be able to save a bit, not sure what dh is thinking but I'm sure we'll find an even balance

H x
    Debt: Overdraft 2 £1200/ now £1200 Overdraft 1 £2200 Credit card £2200 Car - Lots!!
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    Emergency fund: £0 General savings: £0
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 3rd Aug 17, 9:56 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 12,879 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Wow! That is fantastic news, enjoy the wine and child free evening.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Save for summer £500/£500
    EXTRA DEBT PAYMENT AUGUST -MBNA£1000/£373
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 5th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 3,743 Posts
    • 10,619 Thanks
    abba1772
    Congratulations to the hubby that's brilliant news xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5607.10
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4114.16 / £6000
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 5th Aug 17, 6:04 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good evening still buzzing in the Huggle household and dh received the conformation letter about the rise in the post this morning, he's chuffed to bits.

No changes or payments over the last couple of days, I took the car in for a service and MOT yesterday and then ran the 6 miles home, got a message from the garage that car was ready by 11am so popped over to get it. No problems and no extra money spent as we have a service plan which is good news.

Spent the rest of the day relaxing and today we have blitzed the house, had a lovely lunch and I've been for another run, Just about to watch the evening session of the World Champs and will have an easy tea of 'have a look at what's in the fridge' sort of meal!

H x
    Debt: Overdraft 2 £1200/ now £1200 Overdraft 1 £2200 Credit card £2200 Car - Lots!!
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 5th Aug 17, 7:28 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 12,879 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    All sounding good, have a great weekend.x.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 9th Aug 17, 7:40 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hi all, had a lovely weekend with hubby and the kids and have been pottering around the house the last couple of days. The lad came to knock out the cupboard from ds room a day early today as his other job wasn't ready, it suits me better actually as we can concentrate on packing for the long weekend tomorrow.

Surveys have been slow but I've made a payment to overdraft of equal to the charges added so still at £690 to pay on account.

DS room looks so much bigger even though it was a small cupboard taken out, next step will be to get the carpenter to change skirting boards, door frame, hang door, change a piece of wood on base covering top of stairs but will have to wait until after we've been to London and DS birthday is next week. Really excited that some parts of the house are starting to look nice and not like a wreck!

Ooh and I've discovered the delights of leek and potato soup, delicious!

H x
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 10th Aug 17, 7:59 AM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 16,579 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning H,

Well done to Mr Huggle on the pay rise, what a boost

Yay to the surveys and the payment.

Hope that there's not too much mess with the home improvements.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7400.00 Cap 1: £562.23 BC: £4577.81 Overdraft: £2750.00

AFD 5/10 NSD 2/10 LTW 10/15

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 10th Aug 17, 9:15 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 12,879 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Sounds as though you have had a great few days pottering and great news about DS room cupboard coming out.

Take care.x.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 15th Aug 17, 10:50 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    We're back from an amazing weekend in London, we were lucky enough to see all the Athletics action on Saturday morning and the fantastic evening session our voices were almost lost at the end of the day! I've never experienced anything like it before. We were sitting at the end of the stadium where a certain Mr MSE was commentating so that was a bonus as well as all the other highlights from the night.

It was strange that I bumped into 2 people I know during the day always a bit freaky when that happens but I suppose the as they're in the same line of work as me. On the Sunday we did the tourist thing and went to the Natural History museum and then went into the city to meet up with my best friend and her husband who traveled in to see us as they live not too far away.

It was an expensive weekend (£5.80 for a pint of beer ) but well worth it and dh met up with an ex army friend who he hadn't seen for 24 years.

So now I'm doing the washing and have broken ynab with the outgoings from the weekend, we are officially brassic and somehow I need to find money to cover the cost of fuel, food and ds birthday on Thursday until I get paid next Friday. It's going to require some creative thinking and I'm determined not to dip in to the overdraft that I've made great inroads to get down this month.

I need to catch up with diaries and see how you're all doing, surveys are very slow at the moment hope that changes soon.

H x
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 15th Aug 17, 11:05 AM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 16,579 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sounds like you had an amazing time xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7400.00 Cap 1: £562.23 BC: £4577.81 Overdraft: £2750.00

AFD 5/10 NSD 2/10 LTW 10/15

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 6th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    **Sneaks back in, slaps wrist for not budgeting very well as usual**

The kids are back to school this morning so it's very quiet in the house, in fact they were ready an hour early and had to chill out!

It has been a relaxed couple of weeks as I knew that we were scraping by to get to the end of the month but looking at the figures today I really don't know how we're going to get through September. On ynab after direct debits and regular payments has been allocated there is £8 left and there is still food, fuel and climbing money to pay for at the minimum. I have scraped odd pounds from survey sites to boost the coffers but still need some more income to get by.

I am seriously not moaning, it was my decision to go part-time and I'm loving it, I just need to get my thinking cap on.

Some funds to come in:
    * My expenses from July which I've asked my boss about twice now as well overdue.
    * Child Benefit next Tuesday.
    * Expenses from August, which looking at number one I don't hold much hope of getting before pay day.

Other than that I'm stuck, I've already had to use some of the overdraft that I have been paying off so really annoyed with myself. I have a few things to sell but no takers at the mo, but the biggest area I still need to sort is food budget it is definitely our weakness

I can't mention it to dh as he had his great pay rise and I assured him we would mange on my reduced wages, I just need to crack on and deal with it.

Right need to come up with a plan

H x
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 6th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Oh my goodness, just checking through my emails and I completely forgot about a £10 T*sco gift voucher I have to print out! Done that now and that will help quite a bit!
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 13th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Folks I need your advice/help, I sorry that I'm not posting on other people's diaries and just taking at the minute.

Last night my dh had a breakdown it was bad enough that I ended up calling the H4H emergency helpline to try and get him to speak to them but he just couldn't stop crying, I spoke to a lovely chap and got some information about different support that is available for him and me too. This breakdown came after 3 days of drinking and therefore missed work for 2 days.

I managed to get him in to bed at 1830 last night and he slept most of the night although I heard him get up a couple of times to get some juice and something to eat (he hasn't eaten properly the last few days), he's gone to work today and is exhausted and apologetic. I spoke to him earlier as he wondered whether to speak to his boss, I suggested whether taking some time off sick might help or actually whether the routine of working is better for him - he's having a think.

Anyway my thoughts are obviously about the debt and income, I can't get another job at present as I think I need to be at home plus I'd be more stressed as I'm really busy with the job I have. However the debt is making me stressed and trying to budget is hard going at the minute, I can't talk to him about it as he'd be even more stressed out and anxious.

I've tried to sell some things but having no luck with a couple of big things, surveys are slow and the kids are bringing back letters about music lessons and other stuff at school.

What a change in just a few weeks when we were doing so well

Anyway after all that I guess I'm asking what shall I do about the debt, everything is maxed out again so back to square one, where shall I start?

Thanks H x
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 13th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 3,743 Posts
    • 10,619 Thanks
    abba1772
    Sorry to hear your hubby had a breakdown that must have been very scary for you and for him........does he normally drink three days in a row??? I think most employers now are more sympathetic to those who suffer from mental health issues / breakdowns xx. Best get him to a doctor to see if they can help in any way xx

As to the debt being back to square one my hubby is hardly bringing anything home from his new business at the moment and we have a rigid budget but we just need to keep plodding on xx

If your hubby has a pay rise why are you trying to survive on your part time wages or have I got that wrong???
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5607.10
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4114.16 / £6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin