Hugglemonster's debt free diary

Options

Comments

• hugglemonster
    Options
    Double woohoo today, finally got enough on survey site to redeem so £25 on it's way which will go straight to the computer, also received mileage from second job early so another £280 in the bank which will be plenty for our weekend away this week. I'm going to be naughty and not tell dh so I can keep some back!

I got a couple of things for my niece's xmas present but stuck now, toys seem to be really expensive for hardly anything. I'll hopefully be able to my kids presents on Monday afternoon.

My aim for the computer is to pay off by March, it should be more than doable as there won't be Council Tax or Water to pay for in Feb/March so they will also go towards it. The next focus then will be the smaller of the overdrafts so that I can close that account.

Looks like I might be working over New Year as lots of regular staff being awkward about hours, I'm not too bothered about New Year but don't like working Xmas. At least it will be double time.

Out this evening for ds Xmas Play, hope I don't get a coughing fit half way through!

H x
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't blame you for keeping a bit back! Great for the computer pot :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Things are interesting in the Huggle household at the moment, DH mentioned to his mate that he was bored in his job and his mate said come and work for me! He is an archaeologist and has a small crew of people working for him, plus he's his best mate so we know he wouldn't be messed around but there are lots of things to consider:

* He would be working away during the week, anywhere in the country - that is manageable, I can cope with that.
    * The pay is very good, very good - however there may be times when there is no work so would have time off, a buffer fund would need to be put away.
    * He would be self-employed - again would need to put away money for tax and NI, achievable as long as we're strict.
    * At the moment he is in regular employment, it's safe, what if they didn't get enough work? - DH mate has got a good track record and a very good reputation in the field.
    * What happens if his mate can't work in the future, what position would that leave DH in?
    * He would be working outside in an interesting job - that's a positive.
    * He would need to get PPE and a van - more expense.

Hmm lots to think about, he is going to discuss it in more detail with his mate when they take the kids away to Scotland between Xmas and New Year.

In other news, things are OK, pay day tomorrow and had a cancellation so I will be present shopping instead. My lovely m-I-l had been saving T8sco stamps and sent us £50 of these which arrived in a card yesterday, also received a £5 voucher from a survey site, dh got £20 voucher from work (which is now mine!) and received a cheque from an elderly relative for £5 bless her.

Right got to go out to an appointment, back soon, H x
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Morning all, didn't manage to get back on yesterday after work it was presentation evening for my little club it was nice rewarding all the kids, we did bring back some of the food which is a bonus. So no coaching for 3 weeks, what will I do with my evenings!

Working from home today but I have spent the morning Xmas shopping well in fact it only took me a couple of hours, some from the local shops and some online (through cashback sites of course). I had a budget in mind of £200 and I've spent £208 which included some cards, wrapping paper and some non-Xmas items so really pleased.

Pay day today plus I also got my survey redemption and payment for my extra sports work which I wasn't expecting, so therefore I decided to pay the £60 off the computer and it took more interest off so now down to £278.41 :j :T It's so near now, and the regular payment to go out next week.

Discussed with hubby our plans for next year, some finer detail needed on costing but if we manage to achieve these I'll be happy:

* Pay off kids computer
    * Pay off 1st overdraft
    * Trip to Germany - Flights, hotel, spending money
    * Trip to London - Fuel, hotel, spending money
    * Decorate ds bedroom - walls replastered, paint, remove in-built cupboard, change skirting boards, new light shade and posters, new mattress, new curtains and pole, wardrobe, carpet, new door and frame.
    * Keep reducing food bill

Right going to wrap some presents that need posting today and have some lunch, will catch up with diaries today.

H x
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Wow that's big news about your husband's job. A lot to consider.

How lovely to get the £50 in vouchers from your MIL very thoughtful.

Glad you have all your goals for next year laid out, sounds like it will be a good year for you!

• hugglemonster
    Options
    Hi all, I've been suffering for a few days with this irritating cough I will spare you the details! Seems to be finally shifting and I'm sure the rest of the family will be glad to see the back of it too.

So decision has been made, dh is going to work with his mate but won't be going until June as he gets a nice bonus from current company which will be in the bank on 1st May this pays for holidays/would be useful as an emergency fund so seems silly not to hang on a few months.

We still need to be putting money aside anyway so now got to add an emergency fund to my list, wondering how much to put aside for tax when when he is self-employed? Will have to investigate.

I am now off for 2 weeks as I had lots of holiday to use, I'm still doing a few emails for my second job.

Xmas is sorted apart from food, I don't get paid until Friday so it will be an early trip to supermarket to hopefully beat the crowds. I got my pay slip yesterday and I seem to be getting paid my earning for last months work plus my new salary so a bit confused, I will put some aside in case it's a mistake but I will book the flights for Germany anyway.

Yesterday I managed to get a pair of jeans from M&S for £15, I used the voucher so still have £5 to use on food probably. I also need to go to Sainsbobs early one day as have £20 to use there.

So nice to be at home, catching up with the housework finally!

H x
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    I caught up with quite a few surveys today and manage to redeem a little bit to add to the Paypal pot, currently have £2.75 in there and planning on leaving it there to build up. I've been thinking about trying to get all birthday presents next year spend neutral buy using vouchers and survey income, I have two birthdays in January my father in law on 11th and my dh on 15th then our 21st wedding anniversary on 20th. My father in law is easy to buy for, my hubby wants an underblanket for his hammock and not available at a shop that uses vouchers so that will have to come out of paypal money. Our anniversary hubby wants to go to a nice hotel in Llangollen so will have to look at how much that is and go from there.

I am really excited about the year ahead but a little overwhelmed at all the different things, I need one or two of my infamous lists to get my head around everything including jobs to do for both my work places.

My parents are coming over for Xmas Eve, and then we're at theirs on Xmas Day but helping towards food and cooking. Lots to do, glad I'm off to catch up a bit and get ahead.

H x
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Huggle

Here is a link to the current tax bands, looks like the first £11,000 you earn is tax free https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/current-rates-and-allowances

Totally sounds like a plan then for next year!

Bob

• hugglemonster
    Options
    Thanks for the link Bob I will have a good look at that, I will get everything ready for declaring self-employed and look at what can and can't be claimed, what is needed for self-assessment etc.

I got paid today so 2 days early which is always useful, so I have ynab budgeted for the next 10 days until dh gets paid. I still need to make a payment towards overdraft and credit card and hubby needs some spends for when he is away with dd in Scotland next week. I have decided not to be bold and pay for flights just yet but I have put £100 in flight fund (need £400) and £100 in emergency fund.

A few more pounds in paypal for birthday presents so now up to £5.75, I went to M&S to use last £5 voucher but decided that I begrudge paying their food prices just because I have a voucher (£2 for a single garlic bread! - I make a better one for less than that) so came away empty handed and will use towards a present in the sales.

Went to H Bargains for a few bits and then home as it was pouring down.

The house is now tidy finally apart from ds room which is a mess but planning on sorting through and boxing up as much as possible so we can start preparing for decorating - it will be a long process but will be good to make a start.

Store cupboard tea tonight of spag bol and salad before taking dd to her climbing session, we do need some bits and pieces but trying to stretch it out until Friday.

All good for end of year! H x
  • Bobarella
    Options
    I always feel like that when W8rose send me their £8 off a £20 spend voucher. Although their Essentials range is comparable to Mr T and Mr S, their main items are not as low cost. So it can be an exercise in futility trying to use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport