Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 25th Jul 16, 8:32 PM
    • 315Posts
    • 1,440Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hugglemonster's debt free diary
    • 25th Jul 16, 8:32 PM
    Hugglemonster's debt free diary 25th Jul 16 at 8:32 PM
    Hi all welcome to my diary - edited due to similarities with a fellow user which looked a bit strange

Anyway... I have a few bits of debt that I just need to get rid of and a house that is in need of repair, along with plans for the future involving lots of trips with hubby and the kids. The debt is manageable on a monthly basis but we have slipped recently with our spending so need to get back on top of it and get rid asap.

I am good at various aspects of money saving i.e. using vouchers, cashback sites, doing surveys etc but have neglected the food menu and shopping list which is our biggest spends area. I'm not going to do an SOA as I already have one written and I know the areas that need addressing.

Today has been good, I've researched home insurance and got a reduction of £2 per month and cashback of £30, printed off some vouchers and we have eaten at home from food we batch cooked at the weekend. Lots of washing done and mostly dried outside plus some on the airer.

Not so good lurking in the background is that we are currently without a car (using hire car from insurance comp) as some dingbat drove into the back of me a few weeks ago and we are still waiting for payment so we can get a different one (ours was a write off), we know what we want and payments will be similar to what we have been paying for a bigger car that will be ideal for our needs. I know getting finance for car isn't good but we had such a rotten car before and I need a reliable one for work so that's our luxury.

I have paid one small debt of £100 off today which is a little boost and have plans for the rest but equally we need to put some money into things around the house that need sorting, therefore I have two lists; Debt, and Savings

Debt:
    Computer £646.52
    Overdraft 1 £1100
    Overdraft 2 £1500
    Credit card £2200
    Car - not even going there at the mo!

Savings/to buy:
    Skip - to clear rubbish from 'The Great Big Declutterathon'
    Carpet for dd bedroom
    Curtains and curtain pole for dd bedroom plus new drill
    dd new school uniform as going to High School in September
    dd and ds school shoes
    ds birthday (August)
    bark chippings for back garden areas

There is much, much more to save for and buy but this is my current list, so on the debt front I will be concentrating on the computer first as this is the smallest amount and then will snowball the monthly payments.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck and hard work begins now.

Hugglemonster x
    Last edited by hugglemonster; 11-08-2016 at 4:14 AM.
Page 11
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 26th Jun 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 12,884 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lovely to see you back posting. Exciting times, you have to do what's right for you and your family, you can't work yourself in to the ground and as you say when time is short, we tend to spend money to 'help' being at home more should help with you being more frugal. Best of luck.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 26th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi Huggle,

You've certainly been busy.

You're plans look good x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7100.00 Cap 1: £533.40 BC: £5090.00

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Morning all, another very busy weekend the trip to Cardiff was long and tiring but the fact that I was able to support the team otherwise they wouldn't have been able to compete makes it all worthwhile. I got home at 00:10 and went straight to bed so didn't see that one of the local schools had made me a lovely card to say thank you for the competition that I ran on Thursday, it makes it all worthwhile when you get things like that!

DH got paid on Saturday and I've just updated YNAB and set budgets for the month, I've finally been paid my expenses today so I've paid £147.15 off the overdraft leaving a balance of £1000. I need to put some money aside for London as that will quickly be here, I think I will put £100 in that pot.

Today is all about paperwork so at home and tonight I have a launch for a new group, then 3 days at the office with Thursday being my last day and 5 days off after that I can't wait!

We have loads of food in the house, still managed to go way over budget last month - I will be able to keep costs down this week though as have lots of leftovers too. My budget for food is still high and this is the one area that I'm looking forward to tackling when I only have the one job.

Determined to get this debt sorted!

H x
    Debt: Overdraft 2 £1200/ now £1000 Credit card £2200 now £2050 Car - Lots!!
    PAID - Computer £646.52, Overdraft 1 £2200
    Emergency fund: £50 General savings: £50
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 6th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good morning, the sun is shining and it's the last day of work in my office yay! I am so looking forward to just having one job and looking after myself, honestly I look a mess I have cold sores after ds passed on his cold to me and then they come out when I'm feeling better, I need a hair cut and I need to get out running (I have run club tonight so that will be a start).

Finances looking OK at the mo, dh got a bit of a tax rebate in his pay and I've not been silly but planned my budget wisely for the month although I do think I should pay a bit more off the overdraft and put some in our non-existent emergency fund.

Tomorrow I'm at home so I'm going to plan what else is needed for the month, only 2 weeks until end of school and childcare will reduce dramatically plus I can reduce food budget as won't be paying for school dinners. I will have a look at activities for the kids during the holidays to plan so cheap trips although living in a tourist destination means that we don't venture too far as it's so busy, we do all those things out of season.

I'm really looking forward to the future, just need to stick to the budgets!

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 7th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good morning, so last day at work passed peacefully had a nice bunch of flowers which look lovely in my hallway, I now have 5 days off although will be doing some paperwork and emails for work (seems strange to have one job).

Finances looking OK, I have put £50 in emergency fund - it's a start! - and paid another £50 off overdraft but due to fees added it's taken the balance down to £980. I need to write a list of payments and purchases for the rest of the month plus also look at anything the kids will need for back to school, ds will definitely need 2 jumpers.

DH told me last night that his parents have sold their house and will be giving us some money, not counting my chickens until it is in the bank but if it does go through we will probably use some on the debt and some on getting ds room done.

I need to get my expenses and report in today otherwise I be paid late again, will also be catching up on some surveys and a bit of food shopping with my new budget.

Hope everyone has a good day, H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 10th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Morning all, had a lovely quiet weekend with lots of running and enjoying being at home I even ironed the kids school uniform yesterday which is unheard of!!

I've done a few surveys already this morning and another £4 in paypal which I will transfer to bank and put in one of the savings pots, or shall I pay another bit off overdraft - hmm I could pay another £5 to bring it down a little bit more.

Expenses have been submitted for over £300 but I need to post a couple of receipts so must pop to post office for a stamp in a bit, ynab is up to date and nothing else going on at the moment.

It's so nice to have time to myself and potter around the house, we have lots of food and menu for the week so shouldn't need to get anything else in, I'll ask dh to order a fruit and veg box for Thursday.

All OK, H x
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 10th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi Huggle,

Have a lovely day x

• hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 11th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    I've done a terrible thing and looked at mortgage overpayment calculators, really shouldn't have done that as it annoys me that we could save so much interest and term by just overpaying £100 a month! Anyway that's a long term goal and inspires me even more to getting cracking.

I've been scratching around for little bits of income from surveys and looking at my monthly bills, nothing that I'm able to change at the minute unfortunately. I do need to speak to dh to see if he has anything he can sell plus ds room needs a clear out again. I'm currently being good as I'm on the lookout for a small bookcase and chest of drawers for ds bedroom but I'm not buying new I'm checking all the freebie sites and selling pages I can to try and find something.

Ds school is having a clothing sale at the end of the day so I'm going to try and get his uniform for next term there, hopefully will save me a few pennies.

I'm working tomorrow and Thursday but then have Friday-Sunday off, I'm really loving all the things I can get done in a day and my fitness is improving rapidly.

It's my last wage from office job on Friday, will try and make another payment to overdraft.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 11th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Woohoo not long after I posted a lovely lady offered a bookcase on fb for free, it's a cute little thing and ds loves it. We went to look at the uniform and I got two jumpers for £1 so just need a couple of t-shirts and he will need a winter jacket but holding off getting that at present.

I'm getting irritated by dh, he is working really early hours in the morning and is shattered but he is so miserable with me and not anyone else. He can have a laugh and a joke but as soon as I say anything he just answers, not in a nasty way but that's it just an answer nothing further. He keeps going on about me watching daytime t.v. now I'm part-time and I'm sure he's joking but it just isn't funny anymore, so I'm going to rise above it and when he comes home and another bit of the house is done or when I've paid off another debt I'll gloat all evening!

My next job on Friday is to sort out ds books with him and put in is new bookcase.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 14th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    A busy couple of days but all good, coached all day yesterday at a school then home to club and then beginners adult group and a meeting so did a 12 1/2 hour shift!

Today is all about tidying the house again, washing and meal planning after receiving our lovely fruit and veg box last night.

I've updated ynab, frustratingly there are 3 cheques from school still to be cashed for ds school dinners I refuse to send cash anymore after they repeatedly messed up the account and said I owed money when I sent in the proper amount. I got paid some expenses (not my mileage yet) so I've paid another £35 off the overdraft bringing it down to £940, I'm still waiting to be paid from office job today but it's usually in by lunchtime.

I received a £10 Sainsbob voucher yesterday from a survey site, this is with another card to save for Xmas - really rubbish on the surveys this morning.

A nice relaxing day and then taking the kids swimming this evening, we haven't been for ages so looking forward to going.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 14th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Just a quick update, wages paid in so I've paid another £40 to overdraft which is now down to £900 unless anything amazing happens next payment will be on Tuesday when child benefit goes in and it will be in the £800's. Amazing how these little payments add up, it will be gone soon I can feel it!

Food shop in the morning whilst dh is working, then a long run.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 17th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Morning all just a quick post before I go off out to teach a new group, weekend was blur with dh mate coming over and they spent most of it drinking (any idea how to get the smell of whiskey out of wood, I've cleaned it 3 times and it's still stinking. I hate it!). DH is suffering at work this morning - good!

YNAB up to date this morning and not looking too horrendous despite the weekend and also paying the credit card bill, I can't wait to start attacking this one, but I have cashed out some more from survey site so I've sent another £5 to the overdraft.

We still have loads of food so will try and stretch this out as long as possible, school finishes on Friday then it will be operation keep the kids entertained and get the house sorted again.

Right on with the day! H x
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 10,454 Posts
    • 69,667 Thanks
    Bobarella
    How did the whiskey get into the wood? Sounds like a riddle
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 17th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    It's the dining table, it absolutely stinks - might try bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice tomorrow, anything to try and get rid of it. I can't sit near them when they're drinking it, makes me heave. Lavender does that to me too!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 17th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hope you can get it out x

• hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 18th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Well the table still stinks, I just don't know what else to do hopefully it will just fade each time I clean it!

Today has been a nice day, I've paid off another £125 off the overdraft - £100 from child benefit and £25 from a cheque from work that dh does. Balance is now £770, if I can get it towards £700 by the end of the month I'll be really pleased. I've done a few surveys, started doing a new site which is really interesting and and pays well. Quite a few sites building up towards redemption.

I've been cooking carrot soup ready for tea tomorrow and just need to make some chapatis to go with it, also made sausage rolls for tea tonight which went down well.

Working for a bit tomorrow morning then home in the afternoon and back out working until late in the evening, so I'll try and do surveys after lunch.

I'm loving being at home and pottering around the house, sorted out the tomatoes in the garden today, spring onions are ready and need to see if anything can be grown now or a bit late.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 19th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Had a good morning at sports networking meeting, good ideas for my job and also the potential of some extra income if I'm successful at interview - it's one day a week basically promoting and organising sport in my area with other NGB's but it's £150 a day which is better than being slapped in the face with a wet kipper!

I need to do the application form tomorrow as the closing date is Monday, to be honest if I don't get it, it will still be fine but sounds like an interesting role and the pay and opportunities are good.

Have a day at home tomorrow as both kids schools are closed due to flooding in the town, plus the leisure centre was closed so no club this evening.

Have done a few surveys today, no pay outs.

That's all for today, spent ages getting dry as the sky just emptied with a flash storm and flooded the town just as ds was coming out of school!

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 20th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Evening, I've decided not to go for the post as I thought about it over night and I think it could quickly turn into a lot of work and more time away from home which is what I didn't want when I finished at the other job. I also looked at the next level of coaching qualification and although it's only a 5 week course it will cost plus I need to brush up on my anatomy and physiology, so might look at that next year and then could earn some extra income from PT session but running based. I also wanted to spend the time improving my own fitness so this will give me the time to do that properly and it's going well so far.

A quiet day at home with the kids today, ds school is open tomorrow for the last day but dd's remains shut so won't be back until September now.

I've had quite a few surveys and waiting for few to be verified before I transfer the amount to paypal and then make another payment to overdraft.
    DH is back to hardly taking to me, he said earlier that he is going through a mid-life crisis and he definitely gets depressed due to a number of factors (ex forces) but then he won't talk to me about it.

He's fine with everyone else but when I was leaving to coach this evening he didn't even look at me or say a word!

Shopping day tomorrow need to do a big shop but I will do a meal plan before I go, busy weekend as I have a race on Sunday - dh is looking after the kids at the finish so I can run.

I will hopefully pick up a double bed tomorrow as seen one on fb selling page for £30, I haven't had a bed for many years just sleep on 2 mattresses on the floor so it will be lovely if I can get it. Really need a new mattress too but that can wait.

Plodding on! H x
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 20th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Evening lovely,

If the post isn't the right one, then you did right holding off.

Hope DH manages to work out his problems, must be a worry for you.

Big hugs to you lovely lady xx

• abba1772
    • By abba1772 20th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 3,946 Posts
    • 11,921 Thanks
    abba1772
    Sorry to hear you're going through hard times with hubby xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £4781.47
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £6039.74 / £6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter