Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 25th Jul 16, 7:16 PM
    • 10,475Posts
    • 69,539Thanks
    Bobarella
    Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)
    • 25th Jul 16, 7:16 PM
    Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas) 25th Jul 16 at 7:16 PM
    A New Hope is a very fitting title for my first ever DFW diary. For the first time in around 18 months I really have hope. I am one of those people who has always seen September as the start of the year. Because of back to school I suppose. And this year is the first September I can honestly say I am 100% looking forward to in years.

My situation is complicated but to simplify, I took the enormous step to not only become self employed but to sell my family home to finance my new business in 2011. I turned my back on a very well paid career to go out on my own.
    In that period I have had many challenges. Gone to hell and back owing wages and HMRC. Dont worry the wages were paid back long ago as quickly as I could. And I repaid HMRC.
    The stress of being responsible for other peoples lives is intense if you've never been there. At my lowest point I deactivated my voicemail to avoid the energy company being able to contact me.

At one point I owed around £40,000 all business related. Primarily on a loan, but some CC.

Time and again I bashed my head against my mental bars and wondered if I could physically carry on. But I did. Through hell and high waters. Quite literally in fact....

This last year has not been easy. I worked as the sole employee of my business during my entire pregnancy with DD and went into labour whilst still at work. When my baby was 4 months old I got seriously ill and spent a week in hospital. My lovely FIL was diognosed with the big C 2 months ago. And life has wobbled along precariously as always.

The reason for my new hope is I finally made a big decision. To stop the business I am running & build another. It wont be easy but it will get me out of the hole I am in & allow me to take on paid employment around the new business. I have 4 days left of my old situation and then good night vienna!

I love MSE. It and the people of it have been such a comfort. And now I am hoping to use this diary as a place for me to record my baby steps towards a life less stressful, adrenaline filled & chaotic.

Bob
    Last edited by Bobarella; 25-07-2016 at 7:34 PM.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Page 99
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Oct 17, 5:30 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 9,342 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Bob, I hope you've been able to find a way forwards. It's so hard when the income just isn't coming (having a not dissimilar problem myself) but the transition from self employed to employed is a huge and difficult one for all sorts of reasons (childcare not least among them).
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 17th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Bob things must be incredibly tough right now. Please ignore if this doesn't fit with your venue, but I know someone who is setting up a business doing children's cooking classes. I'm not sure of her particular location or requirements, but it got me thinking whether you could offer your venue to that sort of thing? It looks like you have a lot of evening bookings which are particularly tough on family life; but perhaps kids craft classes or baby yoga or anything like that could happen during the day. You might not be able to charge much for the venue, but if you had clubs or activities in, perhaps you could go with your little one, and therefore travel about a bit less, as well as enjoy what was on offer?

Anyway just an idea, not sure if it's a market that appeals or is even feasible. Best of luck.
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin