Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harz99
    • By harz99 25th Jul 16, 4:34 PM
    • 2,490Posts
    • 2,436Thanks
    harz99
    P800 2015/16 tax year
    • 25th Jul 16, 4:34 PM
    P800 2015/16 tax year 25th Jul 16 at 4:34 PM
    Has anyone received a form P800 in respect of overpaid tax for the 15/16 tax year yet?

I know we still have a few days to go before the end of July, just wondering if the process has started.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 25th Jul 16, 9:06 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 25th Jul 16, 9:06 PM
    • 25th Jul 16, 9:06 PM
    Some posters on Marriage allowance threads on mse have received them.

Why are you expecting one?
    • harz99
    • By harz99 25th Jul 16, 11:44 PM
    • 2,490 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    harz99
    • 25th Jul 16, 11:44 PM
    • 25th Jul 16, 11:44 PM
    Some posters on Marriage allowance threads on mse have received them.

Why are you expecting one?
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused

Two employer, plus one state pension plus savings interest taxed at source, HMRC owe me a refund as they have in previous years, even with Marriage Allowance.

I'm not in SA.

As I said, just wondering so thanks for your comment, I'll wait a few days more until middle of next week and then call them if nothing has turned up by then.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 26th Jul 16, 12:02 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 26th Jul 16, 12:02 AM
    • 26th Jul 16, 12:02 AM
    Two employer, plus one state pension plus savings interest taxed at source, HMRC owe me a refund as they have in previous years, even with Marriage Allowance.

I'm not in SA.

As I said, just wondering so thanks for your comment, I'll wait a few days more until middle of next week and then call them if nothing has turned up by then.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Wouldn't they have sent you the calculation and refund when you told them about your savings interest figures for year to 05.04.2016?
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 12th Aug 16, 5:04 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    purdyoaten2
    • 12th Aug 16, 5:04 PM
    • 12th Aug 16, 5:04 PM
    Why don't you write in with all relevant enclosures and ask for a review of your tax liability in 2015/16 -rather than waiting for HMRC to get round to your tax affair?. That is what I have always done for my clients.

At least you have got the ball rolling!
    purdyoaten lost his password
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 12th Aug 16, 6:05 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 12th Aug 16, 6:05 PM
    • 12th Aug 16, 6:05 PM
    It now mentions September on HMRCs website but it also seems as though money can now go in your bank direct without the faff of banking a cheque

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay
    • HOWMUCH
    • By HOWMUCH 16th Aug 16, 9:16 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    HOWMUCH
    • 16th Aug 16, 9:16 PM
    • 16th Aug 16, 9:16 PM
    I phones them and received a P800 about a week later, then followed their instruction and I should shortly be receiving my tax refund.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS
    • janetannhd
    • By janetannhd 19th Aug 16, 5:46 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    janetannhd
    • 19th Aug 16, 5:46 PM
    • 19th Aug 16, 5:46 PM
    I got p800 2 days ago , said i could claim my refund online, but then when i did the system didn't recognize my bank details... but every week my tax credits and child benefit get paid to the same account, plus they verified my identity when i signed up to see my gov.uk account. was told when i called up to use a different account which i dont have) or wait upto 45 days for a cheque that will them take several day to clear as well. has anyone else experienced this?
    Jj)
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 19th Aug 16, 6:46 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 19th Aug 16, 6:46 PM
    • 19th Aug 16, 6:46 PM
    janetannhd

I think you've misunderstood something or the HMRC are wrong.

If you look at the HMRC rules there is no mention of having to wait 45 days. If you are having problems with your bank account then you can just ask the HMRC to post a cheque out to you now, no need to wait.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye91037
    • articulated
    • By articulated 23rd Aug 16, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    articulated
    I phones them and received a P800 about a week later, then followed their instruction and I should shortly be receiving my tax refund.
    Originally posted by HOWMUCH
    Did you get your refund yet?

I applied online on Saturday after receiving my P800 saying I was owed a refund and it's saying they are processing it when I log in. Not sure when to expect payment as this is the first time I've needed a refund
    • xnoxxnox
    • By xnoxxnox 24th Aug 16, 1:13 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    xnoxxnox
    Got my refund last week. It's been 4 months of me writing to them back-n-worth sorting out missing documentation / figures. I got paid into my "bank account" which on the bank statement appeared as a cheque deposit.... So in practice they mail the cheque to you, or your bank / building society. And it still took a few days to clear to get added to my "available balance".
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 24th Aug 16, 7:44 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    xnoxxnox

What you're talking about is different to articulated. HMRC have never before paid PAYE repayments into bank accounts, they either send you a cheque or send the cheque to the bank of your choice.

The difference now is that they will now send people a calculation and direct them to claim the refund via their online Personal Tax Account and you can then specify which bank account you want the money transferring to.

For whatever reason you have been paid via the original system and articulated has got the new system.
    • articulated
    • By articulated 24th Aug 16, 11:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    articulated
    Just logged in and it says they've paid it. Not in my bank yet so hopefully in the morning

Edit: It just went in at 1am :P
    Last edited by articulated; 25-08-2016 at 1:11 AM.
    • ThisCantBeChanged
    • By ThisCantBeChanged 26th Aug 16, 10:01 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ThisCantBeChanged
    I also received a P800, so does this transfer directly into my account or is it a cheque? Its current status is that they have paid it, probably wont receive anything until after the bank holiday.
    • HOWMUCH
    • By HOWMUCH 27th Aug 16, 8:02 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    HOWMUCH
    Did you get your refund yet?

I applied online on Saturday after receiving my P800 saying I was owed a refund and it's saying they are processing it when I log in. Not sure when to expect payment as this is the first time I've needed a refund
    Originally posted by articulated
    Sorry for the late reply yes I did, I phoned on the 6th August, got the P800 on 15th August, claimed online money went into my account 18th August
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 27th Aug 16, 9:50 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    ThisCantBeChanged

I also received a P800, so does this transfer directly into my account or is it a cheque? Its current status is that they have paid it, probably wont receive anything until after the bank holiday.

HMRC do not transfer P800 repayment money into your bank like that. You have to go onto your Personal Tax Account and give your bank details so it is repaid to the account you specify via your tax account.

If this option isn't available then you will get a cheque.
    • Bulldog-1979
    • By Bulldog-1979 7th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Bulldog-1979
    What if i owe taxes
    I just received the P800 saying I'm owed £800.00 - sign on to cliam it.

But it also says that it will calculate whether I do owe it or whether I owe them? Surely they should have worked that out already!? - Is it just so i sign up to an online Tax Account and they can charge me?

What happens if i login and they say "actually we dont owe you £800 Mr Bulldog - You Owe US £XXX.XX - Will you be paying cash or card? Thank you very much!"

If I leave it - I receive a cheque just before Xmas - If i dont there could be a chance Im due to pay them a nice chunk before Xmas?....

Sorry for being sceptical - Ive had a year from hell so far and really couldnt face more !
    Last edited by Bulldog-1979; 07-09-2017 at 1:16 PM.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 24th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 7,338 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    dori2o
    I just received the P800 saying I'm owed £800.00 - sign on to cliam it.

But it also says that it will calculate whether I do owe it or whether I owe them? Surely they should have worked that out already!? - Is it just so i sign up to an online Tax Account and they can charge me?

What happens if i login and they say "actually we dont owe you £800 Mr Bulldog - You Owe US £XXX.XX - Will you be paying cash or card? Thank you very much!"

If I leave it - I receive a cheque just before Xmas - If i dont there could be a chance Im due to pay them a nice chunk before Xmas?....

Sorry for being sceptical - Ive had a year from hell so far and really couldnt face more !
    Originally posted by Bulldog-1979
    What is the cheque for?

In my experience the only letters which go on to say HMRC will further check the refund are those where an estimated in year refund has been made.

The other letters merely say that HMRC will check the current year at the end of the tax year and you don't need to do anything if there are no changes.

All you need to do is check the calculation they have sent you against your own records I. E P60, bank statements etc. As is your responsibility.

If the figures are correct go online and claim the refund.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

929Posts Today

6,824Users online

Martin's Twitter