Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 24th Jul 16, 5:42 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 237Thanks
    Flowers123
    Time to sort my finances out
    • 24th Jul 16, 5:42 PM
    Time to sort my finances out 24th Jul 16 at 5:42 PM
    I am in my mid 20's and I've decided to sort my finances out finally. I am lucky enough to own my house but I have a loan and 2 credit cards which have built up from frivolous spending on holidays and clothes and going out. My total debt excluding my small mortgage is £18,900 and I have nothing to show for it.
Page 7
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 29th Aug 16, 10:00 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    Evening Smodlet. Thank you for your message i had the holiday approved by my old manager before some of the big changes happened. New managers were aware I was off but said there was no one else to give the work to

I have applied for a few jobs today which I'm hoping I will get interviews for. I have signed up to notifications for new jobs being listed so I plan to check this most days and sign up with a recruitment agency in the area I want to be in.

I used the eligibility checker on this website to see if I would get a loan at a better rate and I've been approved with my main current account provider for a loan and it's £75 a month cheaper due to less interest being paid. Due to the current situation with my employment I'm going to save this extra £75 along with the £50 I am planning to save anyway so I have an EF if something goes horribly wrong. Once I've got to £900 I will then use the extra £75 to pay off my CC's first before continuing to battle the loan debts.

Better get some sleep before tomorrow's impending doom of complaints and unhappy customers
    Total debt 31.07.2016 £18,900.31 Now £20,149.01
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 30th Aug 16, 10:40 AM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Smodlet
    You will get through it, Flowers, if we could not cope with complaints we would not work in customer service, would we? Just keep in mind that they would complain no matter who answered the phone, it is not personal. Chin up and well done on getting a better rate of interest. Happy face, now!
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 30th Aug 16, 8:28 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    Very true Smodlet. Maybe I should think about a career change, haha! It's just very disheartening when the reason why they are complaining is because we are so understaffed which is frustrating as we just don't have the time to deal with things properly. Never mind. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be today so I will continue the battle to try and make people happy

NSD again which is always good plus 1 hours overtime which is about £17 after tax and deductions

Posted 2 items I sold so another £20 in the bank.

Budget is looking good for this month. I won't be going into the overdraft at all if everything goes to plan!

Got to wait for all my DD's to come out so I can update my signature
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 31st Aug 16, 4:36 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Just popped in to say, "Hi, how's it goin'?" and I'm glad things were not as bad as you had feared once you got back to the grindstone.

You had a birthday week, almost, you jammy, little so-and-so. You are truly rich, Flowers, you have a wonderful, loving family by the sound of it. Not everyone is so fortunate.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 01-09-2016 at 12:04 AM.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 31st Aug 16, 10:11 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    yes I have a lovely family and friends back home which is makes me very lucky.

I just thought I haven't updated my diary regarding the interview I went on.. Well not really much to update as they still haven't come back to me. The company I used to work for are notoriously slow at getting back to people as it took them 6 weeks to tell me when I worked for them before that I had got the job it does make me think I don't have it so I've been busy applying for other positions but I don't want to jump at the first job I see as I may end up hating it. Going to keep my eye out for new positions and see what happens.

Spending wise I went to the shops to stock up on household items and freezer food. Spent £16 in the supermarket but this did include toiletries too. Also spent another £25 on fuel so I now have a full tank and I've still got £10 of my fuel budget left for this month. I am due to withdraw another £50 tomorrow for next weeks budget. I'm amazed I have stuck to my £50 budget for groceries and social things it's all small steps but now I'm slowly getting my budget under control it means I can set aside a decent amount to pay off the credit cards.

I have just received the loan payment for my new loan at a cheaper rate this saves me £75 a month so I need to phone up my old bank and pay off that loan. Luckily there is no early repayment fee so I'm going to save loads of interest payments

2 more days at work then the weekend again and I'm off home again
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 5th Sep 16, 11:56 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi Flowers,

It sounds like you are doing so well with all of this!
    You really know exactly where every penny is going and have kept at writing on here.

I've relapsed majorly, if you can even say that after such little one on here, and I'm not really very far on or as far as I should be.

Sorry that the job haven't got back to you yet, that's annoying, but they are no doubt working all sorts of stuff out behind the scenes for all you know. Your current role sounds quite stressful at times but you're doing well to stick at it and bring in the money through overtime etc.

Glad you had a nice birthday.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Sep 16, 2:07 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Any news yet, Flowers?

Houseplant, hang in there, Rome wasn't built in a day, you can do this.

S x

• Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 6th Sep 16, 8:42 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Thanks Smodelet that's kind.

Looking forward to hearing from you flowers hope you are good and have had an ok day.
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 14th Sep 16, 6:47 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    How are things going for you flowers? I've been useless at keeping my diary, I'm a bit of an all or nothing person....
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 28th Sep 16, 12:44 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi flowers,

Just wondering how you are? Not sure duly still use the boards

Hp x
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 28th Sep 16, 8:12 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    Hi Houseplant.

Sorry I've been so busy I've not had a moment to sit down for a while.

It's been a whirlwind few weeks and I have a new job back nearer to my family and friends. It's a role where I can earn more as its commission and my basic salary isn't much less than my maximum take home pay now so I will actually be better off as my living costs will be lower

I've got another 2 weeks left in the city and I've sold my house and put an offer on another 2 bedroom house in a small market town. It's absolutely gorgeous and has a nice conservatory. This means I have had to get a mortgage as the property is more expensive but I'm going to use some of the equity in my property to pay off my loan and credit cards and then concentrate on paying off the mortgage over the next few years while building up my pension and savings. As my new role is commissioned I am well aware that some months I won't take home as much so I want to aim for a £5k emergency fund in the long term.

I think my current employer is annoyed I'm leaving and they have asked what they can do to make me stay but it's not what I want long term so I have decided this is the end of my 7 years in the city. Going to miss the people but looking forward o being closer to my support network. Also, after be day I've had I know I've made the right decision to leave. We are so short staffed and there is no plan to sort out the work position.

I haven't been too good with my spending lately as I've been away for the weekend with my sister and bought lots of clothes for my new job which is a role where I will be meeting clients so I have to look smart. My overall debt will be more when my house purchase goes through due to the mortgage but I don't care as I'm sooo excited to be moving home.

Flowersxx
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 30th Sep 16, 2:15 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Impressed, Flowers. You don't let the grass grow, do you? New job, sold your house and buying another in a month, if that. Reeeespect! Please keep us posted on how you are getting on and huge congratulations, well done!

• Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 5th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Flowers it sounds to me like you've done so so so much lately and made some huge but beneficial life changes! I'm impressed! I'd love to hear how you get on but also understand if you're busy. I've neglected this forum on and off too. I keep feeling guilting and like I'm not ready to hear the hard truths about my lifestyle but then also sometimes thinking I need to cut myself some slack. Tricky!!

All the best with your move. X
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 6th Oct 16, 7:06 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    It's been so busy I haven't had time to update my diary. I really need to keep at this as I know with the house move I'll be in more debt which isn't good.

Starting my new role next week. No time off in between unfortunately.

After my initial training my take home pay should go up. My basic take home will be £1360 and then the rest is commission which I'm determined to hit my targets as I need to pay off my debt. I've been set low targets as I'm new but I could earn an extra £400 a month on top of my basic which means I get to pay off more of my debt. Also I get paid mileage which should more than cover maintenance and fuel. I will do a SOA in a few months when I'm in my new house.

My finances are looking rather sorry for themselves at the moment so I must sort out my spending. I've been so good all year and this month have fallen off the wagon. I've spent too much on food and going out and I've been naughty and bought new work clothes and new make up and hair curlers. My excuse is I need to look presentable at my new job as I'll be face to face with people and my current work clothes have seen better days.

Once I'm in my new job I should have a better idea of my earning and the harder I work the more I'll be rewarded and my new boss said I will see the commision the month after they receive it.

Slightly fretting about my credit cards as I'm still not much further forward with paying them off
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 6th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Once you have an idea of where your finances are at after the move you can do a new SOA. It sounds like you'll have a really good amount of money coming in and save on some expenses.

There must be something in the air this time of year as my guilt is around buying new clothes. My work is smart casual so I don't have a separate home and work wardrobe but I was struggling to find things to wear. I spent £150 at a discount night on things I love (I got a lot! Everything from shoes to a skirt to tops to a scarf) but can no way really afford on my salary which was on the low end this month. I need to consider taking some of it back which kind of sucks but I think being more overdrawn will suck more.
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 16th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    Oops, I have neglected my diary a bit as life has been rather hectic!

Houseplant, did you take some of the clothes back? Being overdrawn does suck and so does the charges. I need to pop over to your diary to catch up.

So I've moved back to my parents this weekend and it's all been a bit manic. I had my last day at work on Friday and it was sad to say goodbye to everyone but I'm so excited for the future.

My finances are looking dreadful!! It's been one thing after another and I've not been keeping to a budget I've got stamp duty and a number of other fees to pay for my new house but it will be worth it! Definitely going to do a new SOA when I'm settled in at my new job and roughly know what commission I'll be earning. To start with its going to be quite tight with the finances but once I get going im hoping I'll be able to really start paying off the debt and get an emergency fund together.

I'm just about to go and work out my current total amount of debt
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 17th Oct 16, 3:39 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    I did but then I bought other stuff with the money like a plonker. I'm lucky in that my overdraft is pre arranged and I only pay say a quid a month if overdrawn by the amount I am (£240!!!)
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 29th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    How's things flowers?
    • Dird
    • By Dird 29th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    Dird
    You are mid 20s but only have a small mortgage? :-o
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £785 | Current accounts: 15
    Mortgage (Nov 16): £76,486 | £30k in 2016 #96: £27,530 (91.7%)
    • Flowers123
    • By Flowers123 5th Dec 16, 8:37 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Flowers123
    Hello everyone.
    Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. It's been a crazy time.
    Still living with my parents whilst I wait for the solicitors to get a move on! Looks like it will be the New Year when I can move to my new place.
    Financially it's been a bit of a disaster. I'm saving money living at my parents but the bank declined my mortgage application which means I'm having to borrow off my parents to pay for my new place. I also still have the massive loan and credit card debt
    Work is very challenging as it's a role I've never done before. I'm doing training at the moment so I haven't been able to earn any commission yet so unsure of what I could potentially earn. I'm quite pleased my new role is commission based as i know it will make me want to achieve or even exceed my target a single I have the prospect of paying off this stupid debt. My basic take home wage is £1350 which should be sufficient but with the added cost of fuel it's been quite tough. (I am currently spending £30 a week on fuel)
    Still unsure if I've made the right decision moving back. Hopefully it will get easier with time and I'll be able to settle here in the long term.
    I haven't added up my current total debt but i know it has increased as I've not budgeted!!!!
    I really need to get a grip and stop this unsecured debt spiralling out of control.
    Car fund £150/£600
    EF £300/ £900
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,724Posts Today

8,460Users online

Martin's Twitter