Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 2,833Posts
    • 19,111Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NST Sept #16 NSD 13/14 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37) 3-6 month EF #10£1 a day for Christmas 2016 #32
Page 8
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hope you're feeling better CCL. Make sure you give yourself some time tonight so just unwind, even if it's 5 minutes. Your favourite hot drink, comfortable clothes, feet up, TV, a book, music - whichever, just allow some "me time" and I'm sure you'll feel better for it.
    Barclaycard - £990.84
    Follow my Debt Free Diary - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST#24 (3/14)
    • lego mum
    • By lego mum 14th Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,818 Thanks
    lego mum
    Hope you're doing ok CCL.
    Following to keep us debt free
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You know that bad start to the week I mentioned? Well if I hadn't lived through this week myself I wouldn't have believed it. I'm ok, and laughing about it all but I am starting to wonder if I should hibernate...
    I have been in a bit of a mood all week - and it hasn't much improved. Anyway. Yesterday during my year 7 lesson I managed to wipe concentrated acid on my face. Hilariously it was because I had my goggles on my head rather than over my eyes and I was being 'safety conscious' so I went to pull them over my eye and must have had acid on the gloves I was using.
    And if you thought that was funny - today I nearly burned my classroom down. Anyone reading who knows what the alkali metals demo is, imagine pouring water on a 5x5x2cm piece of potassium. That's what I did. By accident, but I did it. The kids thought a surfing piece of potassium with a bright lilac flame literally burning a pathway across the bench and onto the floor was brilliant. Me, less so but I think I managed to keep my cool... At least my triple set Year 11 will not forget the reactions of alkali metals in a hurry. I'm almost too scared to go into work this morning.
    I've just been mad busy everywhere else as well. Yesterday I took ds to a different football training session and was out until after 8pm. So I got home, got in the shower and then went straight to bed. Then tonight I finally had my doctor's appointment. She didn't just dismiss me as being fat but did offer me some diet advice along the lines of 'don't comfort eat'. She said I was a sensible woman who seemed to have my head screwed on. As for the aching and tiredness, she said that we would need to rule out medical causes before we put it down to just stress, but that I do need to manage my stress as well. Reminded me that I can't be responsible for others and I have to put myself first. All stuff I know... but she also examined me and thinks I have an enlarged thyroid gland. Ugh. I have googled what that means, but it's still a massive variety of possibilities. I have to have some bloods done, an ecg and an ultrasound of my thyroid as well. So we'll see if that throws anything up.
    Other than that, no time for myself, no time to catch up on here - it is literally just work, kids stuff and bed. I am sleeping my 8 hours, but still tired. I just can't do a long time away from the site...
    NST Sept #16 NSD 13/14 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37) 3-6 month EF #10£1 a day for Christmas 2016 #32
    • lego mum
    • By lego mum 15th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,818 Thanks
    lego mum
    OMG what a week you are having!!!
    Following to keep us debt free
    • 12 month challenge
    • By 12 month challenge 15th Sep 16, 9:35 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 4,418 Thanks
    12 month challenge
    Hi CCL

I have been wondering about your Thyroid as the symptoms you have mentioned are exactly the same as I had. I was then diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. (underactive Thyroid) I now take medication for it and feel like a new person.

Hopefully they will get you sorted out very soon.

x
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 16th Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    Impressive week, you will forget it :-)

I suspected thyroid as mine has gone, I'm having a nightmare loosing weight, all my joints ache all the time, I feel like I've turned into an old woman. The doctor has started me on the drugs but he's building me up slowly, too slow for me but hey ho !
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Not that I'm one for making excuses, I have been feeling frustrated that I feel as though I don't eat much bad food, exercise lots and still seem to be gaining weight. It would be nice if there is some actual medical reason for it. I will have to wait for these appointments to come through and see what happens. I hope that there is something though because I am completely fed up of feeling rubbish all of the time. I've stopped drinking altogether, I'm getting my 8 hours of sleep a night and still feeling like I've been run over. I woke up at 8.45 this morning and was so stiff I could hardly get out of bed. My legs just feel a bit 'dead' - not numb but heavy. I can't explain it...
    Thankfully yesterday passed reasonably quietly. I was utterly shattered and cruised through the day without too much effort on my part to be honest. No major incidents or injuries and just one little fall out with ds's football coach, although that has been coming for a long time - it just all reached a head after the week I've had and feeling so very tired.
    I've blown the grocery budget this month and I'm really angry with myself about it because I know that's where I'm weak. In spite of having full cupboards and freezer I've hit the shops for 'a couple of things' more than once during the week and ended up spending over £20 each time. I just can't be bothered with food at the moment (which is a big thing for me because I always like being bothered with food). The simple fact is that I am now skint for the month so unless I start using the emergency credit card (which I won't) then I can't be out topping up groceries every day. I'm doing the last top up of September today at Aldee, with a list and that will be it apart from milk...
    DS has just gone off to football with his dad (thankfully, so I don't have to deal with his manager when I can't be bothered) - then I will take him to gymnastics followed by tutoring and the little shop. I also need to get a couple of special birthday cards as both my kids have their birthdays over the next couple of weeks. It already feels like too much and I haven't even started...
    • 12 month challenge
    • By 12 month challenge 17th Sep 16, 1:00 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 4,418 Thanks
    12 month challenge
    My GP started me on 25mg of Levothyroxine which didn't touch the sides. More blood tests and he then raised it to 100mg then to 200mg then back down to 150mg where I have been for approx. 18 months.

Blood tests every 6 weeks until my TSH levels stabilised.

I also had all of the symptoms like weight gain, aches and pains, tiredness, moody and generally feeling like I had been hit by a bus every day.

But now, Wow I feel like a new woman and have lost 17lb in weight.

Hope you feel better soon
    x
    EF # 154 = £1000
    SP 2016 # 9 = ?
    PDBX 2016 #2 = £12,684.08 /£12,000 = 105.7%
    'A thief broke into my house last night searching for money, I woke up and started searching with him'

• dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 18th Sep 16, 10:55 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    My GP started me on 25mg of Levothyroxine which didn't touch the sides. More blood tests and he then raised it to 100mg then to 200mg then back down to 150mg where I have been for approx. 18 months.

Blood tests every 6 weeks until my TSH levels stabilised.

I also had all of the symptoms like weight gain, aches and pains, tiredness, moody and generally feeling like I had been hit by a bus every day.

But now, Wow I feel like a new woman and have lost 17lb in weight.

Hope you feel better soon
    x
    Originally posted by 12 month challenge

My TSH was 7.8 and started me in 25, 3 months later it's 5.8 and he's doubled me to 50, due a blood test in a few weeks and can't wait as I don't feel any better :-(
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • 12 month challenge
    • By 12 month challenge 18th Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 4,418 Thanks
    12 month challenge
    My TSH was 7.8 and started me in 25, 3 months later it's 5.8 and he's doubled me to 50, due a blood test in a few weeks and can't wait as I don't feel any better :-(
    Originally posted by dawnybabes
    This is exactly how I went on for ages. Eventually the GP decided to do bloods every 6 weeks, continually changing dosage even putting me on 200mg which was too high. This went on until He got it right. Thank heavens.

It will be worth it when you get it stablised I can now say I feel normal again. My blood tests are now every 6 months. Hopefully I will still be ok.

Hopefully it won't take too long. I know how you feel though, it makes you feel so unwell.

Good luck with it all
    X
    EF # 154 = £1000
    SP 2016 # 9 = ?
    PDBX 2016 #2 = £12,684.08 /£12,000 = 105.7%
    'A thief broke into my house last night searching for money, I woke up and started searching with him'

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Sep 16, 6:45 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    How can it only be the beginning of week 3 and me feeling so rubbish already?? Today will be a 'bare minimum' day as I've been awake since half five with 3 other spells of being up during the night. I feel wiped and desperately want the day off, but it's that constant battle of dragging yourself in versus the feeling of setting cover work and then dealing with the fallout after a day off.
    I hate feeling that I just can't be bothered with anything at all. It's just not me. Boo hiss.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Sep 16, 8:58 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hopefully a good nights sleep with help. Fingers crossed you get one tonight.

In the mean time, I would recommend a nice hot drink of your choice. A nice cup of coffee on a Monday morning tends to perk me up a bit and get ready for the week ahead.
    Barclaycard - £990.84
    NST#24 (3/14)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Sep 16, 8:01 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I kind of wish I hadn't bothered... I got in to find that the Head was off sick and so was our technician. Ah well. At least I can stop worrying about surviving the day or being caught being rubbish when I'm not on top form. I got through the day with the bare minimum of effort and came home via supermarket to get dd some chocolate from her brother for her birthday tomorrow. Quick pizza for tea, lunches made and now a bit of knit or crochet and then bed. I hope to be asleep for 9.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 20th Sep 16, 7:07 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    Just a quick check in from me tonight. Not much to report. Full day of teaching and busy at work followed by being too tired to do much else. Just chomped down a bowl of egg fried rice and had a quick shower - now planning a bit of crochet and an early night. Sounds like a plan.
    I've got a bit of catching up to do on here but not feeling it tonight - so I'm heading off. Sorry - normal service will resume soon.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Sep 16, 7:34 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    I don't really know what's happened to me, but I seem to have lost my mojo already and I'm only 3 weeks into term. I feel utterly exhausted and last night I was so tired and grumpy that I just sneaked straight off to bed. It's all a bit much at the moment...
    There's very little to report to be honest. Work, home and sleep. Not very exciting is it? I still haven't marked a set of books this week at all and it's getting a bit desperate, but on the plus side I'm planned for next week so should manage some time to do a bit of marking tomorrow. If not then I'll have to bring home a set of books for the weekend so that should be motivation enough.
    I feel ok within myself, just really tired and run down. I already can't keep up... Ah well. I'm having to do a bit of 'mental health matters' with myself - dh isn't great at the moment and I'm finding it hard not to take that personally. I know that it's not me, I'm trying my best to make the effort with him but he's staying up late and staying in bed late. He doesn't need to get up as he doesn't start work till midday but it feels a bit like we're just bypassing each other a lot of the time at the moment. My self esteem has gone walkabout again and it's all just a bit much being so busy. Never mind. I will bounce back as I always do.
    So I'm spending lots of time making at the moment in preparation for my hand made Christmas. It keeps me occupied.
    I deliberately wanted to come on here and post as I've not been on much recently but I've just arrived and hoovered the mood and made everything a bit bleak. Ugh.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - Hope you're feeling better today. It's good to vent, so if your diary is a place to do that then great. You've plenty of people on here who'll always try and help and offer advice.

Lovely to hear the preparations for Christmas are coming along nicely and keeping you occupied. What sort of things have you made?
    Barclaycard - £990.84
    NST#24 (3/14)
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 23rd Sep 16, 8:32 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today CCL, my diary isn't a barrel of laughs either atm so fear not, you're not alone! Hopefully the weekend will give you a chance to relax.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £5,238 42.6% paid

£1127 saved towards 'The Move' as of September 2016 £80 saved towards citizenship £100 saved towards Xmas 2016
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 24th Sep 16, 9:11 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,111 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks you two. I think I'm just boring myself at the moment with always being so tired. I seem to not be able to be bothered with anything. I had started wondering if I might be getting depressed but I genuinely don't think so. My can't-be-bothered is because I'm just tired. It's 9am, I've been up since 7 and I already feel as though I could nap...
    Still didn't get much marking done so I brought books home to mark at some point. It's unlikely to be today as I'm out tutoring later and then my mam is having a housewarming tonight that I'll need to show my face to, even though I'm knackered.
    Homemade Christmas is progressing. I am knitting a blanket for my dad, crocheting a bed throw for my sister and 3 mermaid tail blankets for various people. I'm also going to knit socks for dh and am crocheting a pair of slippers for bestie. It's coming along fine and I still really enjoy doing it (hence I don't think I'm depressed) but I'm not entirely sure I can make everything in time. We shall see...
    I'll be back later with a progress report.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 24th Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 14,753 Posts
    • 46,989 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I have been teaching for almost 16 years CCL, the tired feeling is a depressing aspect of the job and the longer you teach the sooner in the year the tiredness comes on.

I know that sounds awful but this is what I think or have kinda of worked out - you know when you know what something going to be like? - say a trip to the dentist? or a night out with your friends - so you have feelings you associate with those events? Well I think (mental as it sounds) that my body (and brain) associate feelings with work. So I used to start out the year feeling positive, excited and well prepared - I would spend the summer making plans, sows and resources and I loved it. And every year without fail I would arrive at school to be told I needed to do X Y and Z immediately and all the policies and expectations had changed........ok so I learnt that I couldn't really prepare, so I didn't. not to the same extent, I mean I used to laminate things

I think I will only last another 4 years in full time teaching - if that. I appreciate a lot of people reading this will think oh whinging teachers they get holidays and are well paid and to some extent that is true. However, it wears you down and each year, you know what is coming and you get that little bright bit in the summer where for a week or so you feel like yourself again and then it is back again fighting the tide of marking, reviews, training, observations, data deadlines,lesson planning, innovative ideas, displays, open evenings, open days, meetings, and this week I even had to hoover a cupboard.

And I bet a lot of people reading that will well I do all of that. That's called having a job. Unfortunately I have this other part of the job, where from 8 till 4 I have children in front me, real live people who can't be left alone, who need to be given meaningful work to do and must show progress.........each hour every hour. Even on my frees I end up dealing with kids. I have 35 minutes for lunch and one 10 minute break in the morning (normally both are used for detentions.

This year I took the approach, because of my cancer scare at Easter that I just wasn't going to work as hard and I am not, I missed deadlines and people just had to wait. World didn't end. However, my body seems to remember, I came home last night virtually passed out on the sofa.

I don't really know exactly what I am trying to say. Aside from don't feel bad for being tired. And fight the job. Don't let it take over. Look for short cuts, (kids to peer and self assess! and the TES for lessons) the job won't come to your funeral. And three weeks in a high pressure job you should be tired!!! I decided to work one weekend and take the other one off. Trying to mark a set of books a day and bring home my ks4 books only. At the moment I giving some one a lift in the morning so can't get in very early but am going to give that a go. I honestly don't know how you manage with having your own kids. Absolute respect to you.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Buffythedebtslayer; 24-09-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Saving all the money.............really I am !
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 24th Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 7,080 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Great post Buffy!!
    £1025 to pay =62% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 September £3.16 2016-£36.36 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £1028 2015 £1027.20
    NST September 3 3/16
    PAYDBX #7 £1665.46/£2,700 (62%)
    GC Sept £202.42/£300
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

794Posts Today

5,790Users online

Martin's Twitter