Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,374Posts
    • 28,943Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 48
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 28th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon
    Not a deliberate, or stressed not posting - just been really busy the past couple of days, making lists and working my way through them. Plus I spent the whole of Thursday with a friend, catching up which was really lovely.
    Then I did a nice big list of little jobs that I've been putting off for ages. I'm slowly working my way through them but without a lot of success so far... I need to sort out blinds for downstairs urgently, but can't get an appointment for someone to come and measure up. Just rang Sky to try and haggle my price but got absolutely nowhere.
    I am also trying to finish some of my loads of work in progress for crochet. I have a lot of stuff that's nearly done but needing finished and then I put it away and start something else. As a result I have loads of nearly but not finished projects that I need to finish off and allocate as Christmas gifts.
    Today is a PJ day. I slept badly, got up, showered and put a clean pair of PJ's on. I'm now working my way through a bit more of my list in between bits of crochet. Just need to head off to try and convince ds that he really does want to go and watch Sunderland lose at football again because he's in tears upstairs at the thought of having to go... wish me luck!
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 5th Nov 17, 5:41 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    What a week! So very busy and really badly organised. Feel as though I'm really missing out but I'm just starting to panic that I'm not well organised for Christmas...
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey CCL - haven't forgotten about you, I've been a bit busy myself.

There is an enormous sense of satisfaction when you work your way through a list, so good on you for even having a list in the first place.

I think many of us MSE's are now into the mindset of budgeting and planning early for Christmas. I too get worked up knowing it's round the corner, but in comparison to others, we're very organised. My step-dad lives up to the stereotypical man and buys everything on Christmas eve. So from that standpoint, you're well ahead of the game and no need to panic.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hey everyone
    I'm not sure what is wrong with me, and why I keep disappearing off the planet. I know I need to be lurking on here in order to keep on the straight and narrow financially, but I'm getting home in the evening and feeling too tired to even get my laptop out - then at the weekends I'm trying to make sure I rest a bit, so not getting the laptop out.
    The past couple of weeks have been really busy and I'm so physically and mentally exhausted I'm finding it quite difficult to muster up the energy for anything much. I hate feeling so pointless but I'm just tired all of the time so when I do switch off then I just sit with my crochet watching the telly.
    Lots has happened - too much to remember fully. Finally went to see the doctor about my mood, and have had my anxiety meds doubled. We'll see if that makes any difference - but I don't think that there's anything wrong that a week of sleep wouldn't fix. I'm currently using an app called Sleepio, which is helping a bit, but after 10 years plus of insomnia I have a bit of a way to go.
    Work is busy, and hard - as usual we have staff off on the sick. One off on the sick and one on maternity leave. The kids have been quite hard work and there have been a few incidents. I feel as though I'm falling behind with everything there, and my to-do list never seems to get below 10 items.
    Things also hit the fan at home a bit. It was such a tiny thing that finally broke me, but it dawned on me, that I just cannot help dh if he won't be helped - so why am I wasting my time trying? Everything I'd been keeping bottled up for fear of pushing him over the edge again came out and I told him that I needed help sometimes too, and that I'd finally realised that he will always just do what he wants, no matter what, so I'm not going to waste my time trying any more. It was awful for a couple of days, but then I felt so much better in myself. I love him to bits but I can't help him if he won't help himself. I need to stop doing stuff for him and leave him to start fending for himself a bit. It's hard work, but way less stressful than always panicking about stuff.
    I'm still not very well organised for Christmas. I've bought a few bits, and made a few bits, but there's a bit of a way to go. I don't honestly like Christmas that much any more - I've had a couple of bad Christmas experiences in recent years so I don't associate it with being a joyous time, spent with family. Crikey - what a miserable so and so I am...
    Right, I'm off to have a nosy around and catch up on diaries etc. Who knows when I'll be back on? I'd like to say tomorrow, but the truth is I don't know...
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 13th Nov 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 13,796 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Glad to hear from you CCL, sorry that you got to breaking point with DH but it probably is needed, for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

Hope work gets better and that sleepio helps with your insomnia x
    £150/3000 OH BC(95% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £150/31010.23 (99.51% paid)
    Mortgage - £160,500.00 (2017 O/P £2475.46) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £18,079.25/14,539.71
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 13th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi ccl, hope you're able to get some decent sleep. Sometimes a break from online stuff can be helpful, especially when you're busy. Don't feel pressured to read diaries when you're busy, we'll all still be here when you get back!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 28/11/17 - £132 £667/£1,000 emergency fund £640 saved for household jobs
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey CCL. Hope you're doing ok - felling and sleeping better. You know where we all are to lend an ear.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    Still really busy. To be honest I'm trying to avoid getting on the laptop at home because I then seem to end up doing loads of school work - but I will get on at least once a week for an update.
    Another hectic week at work, with far too many absences and not enough staff to get everything done unfortunately. Out of a full team of 7 we were down to 2 at one point last week, and still no technician either. I just keep hoping the situation will improve at work but it never does for any length of time and that's so frustrating.
    I'm full of cold at the moment as well so not on top form, but I never seem to be at the moment. My Saturdays have turned into a day where I just stay in my pj's watching the telly. I don't know if this is a good thing or not but it's definitely something I feel I need to do at the moment.
    The sleep app is going well, although it's going through the 'getting worse before it gets better' stage. I'm basically not allowed to go to sleep before 1115 at night and I'm not allowed to stay in bed later than 615. This is apparently a short term thing to try and reset my sleep routine. I'm really yawny but as ever, hopeful that this will be the start of a new chapter for me.
    Zero progress on Christmas apart from it being another week closer, me still not feeling festive and nowhere near prepared for it.
    Ah well.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - I'd be really interested just to see how things get on with the sleep app. What's it called?

Also, nothing wrong with a day of relaxing, particularly after an ever hectic week!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 29th Nov 17, 7:02 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 5,611 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Hope you are doing ok CCL.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi all
    Grab a and settle down as I've been awol for weeks! Just busy as ever. I'm doing ok - my mental health is up and down, and part of my sleep recovery on the app is not to be on my electronic devices after 9pm. I'm trying to stick with it because it's working ok for me. The app is called Sleepio Speky - it's quite expensive to buy but you can register to try it for free if you do some other research for them. I got my copy for free after about 3 weeks of trying an anti stress app. I still don't sleep for a long time, but I am now sleeping for between 5 and 6 hours solid every night, which has made a real difference to my mood. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm getting lots more done with less sleep and that I might just be one of those people that survive quite easily on 6 hours sleep. I go to bed at 11-15pm now, which means that I can spend a bit of time with dh in the evening, and I get up between 5 and 6am (usually naturally) and get an hour to myself either watching telly or doing crochet, or both - even on a school day. I didn't like some of the rules at first because it was a bit of a change. No work, or computer at all after 9pm, no telly in bed. Get up if I haven't gotten to sleep after 15 mins. Seemed really hard, but it's working so to my mind it's worth sticking with.
    Other things are just plodding on as usual. Still 3 weeks at work before we break up for Christmas, and I'm less organised this year than I can ever remember being at Christmas. I'm not finished my shopping, I've done no wrapping, and I'm still madly crocheting trying to get everything done before the big day. Work is hard, but my new boss is still pretty good. My Year 11 triple set finally seem to be getting the concept of chemistry, and I've had a couple of extra free hours given to me which makes the world of difference in terms of planning and marking. Just need a couple of weeks off now to recharge my batteries...
    I wish I could be on here more often. I know it's just a choice and I should make time for it - but once I get on here I start doing work stuff (which I'm about to now) so I need to try and strike some sort of balance. Then my life is so boring that I don't know what to type on here any more
    Christmas tree is up, but I haven't gotten or wrapped any presents just yet...
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 4th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 10,448 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Morning CCL

It's good to hear from you.

I'm glad your sleep problems have improved, regularly getting 5 to 6 hours of solid sleep a night was previously unheard off. Sounds like you are benefitting greatly, time for yourself in the morning, time with OH in the evening and feeling more positive about yourself.

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Dec 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 10,249 Thanks
    Florence J
    Glad to see you back CCL, would you on the whole recommend the app? My OH has terrible sleep, he rarely gets a full nights sleep. He admittedly does have some terrible habits when it comes to getting to sleep but I am worried about him. I know he would never read a book on the subject, but an app might work for him.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2118.64
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey CCL

Glad to hear the app is beginning to work for you and thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you're doing really well with it. From my understanding, and personal experience, sleep plays a huge part as to how your day ahead goes. It effects your mental health, physical health, mood, eating habits - everything! Oh. Another thing which changed my sleeping (which you might already be doing) is not to drink anything after 9pm or so. That way you don't have to get up during the night for the toilet.

Hope the next 3 weeks fly by and it's not too painful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,653Posts Today

6,136Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin