Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,352Posts
    • 28,792Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 47
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 28th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - I drove past a car today which had a sticker in the back window saying "Crazy Cat Lady On Board". Don't suppose you're in Glasgow?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 30th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Time for a bit of a catch up. Not that there's anything to report really. Still feeling a lot better mentally, but work is massively busy. I only get 4 frees a week and was required for other stuff for 3 of them. Plus I have my observation next week with one of my more challenging classes so I've been all over the place with worrying about that. At least it'll be over with until Tuesday (unless I fail miserably and then it'll have to be redone). Things have settled a bit - I still hate my new classroom and the staffing issues are still a huge problem but I don't feel as awful about it all as I did. Mood is such a strange thing... nothing has really changed, even my sleep is still terrible, but I just feel ok now - not awful.
    Other than work - I haven't gotten much else done. I'm really tired so not that productive. Just the basics of housework, food etc. I've done a bit of crochet as I have lots to finish before Christmas but other than that all quiet. I feel as though I'm letting the side down a bit on the money saving front as I keep getting money out of the bank every day to pay for the windows...
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 30th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    CCL - I drove past a car today which had a sticker in the back window saying "Crazy Cat Lady On Board". Don't suppose you're in Glasgow?
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    I wish I was in Scotland - I love it up there. I need one of those stickers though
    I'm in Sunderland, which is close enough to Scotland for a holiday.
    • triple choc chip
    • By triple choc chip 30th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 810 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    triple choc chip
    I feel as though I'm letting the side down a bit on the money saving front as I keep getting money out of the bank every day to pay for the windows...
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Think of it as saving on the heating bills - forever
    Life's greatest satisfactions: Getting the last laugh, having the last word and paying the last instalment.
    Debt Free since 6.8.13
    Saving for Xmas 2017 #3: £528/£650 82.1%
    Emergency fund £1k
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 30th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Good luck with your observation next week, I'm sure everything will be great.

And congratulations on getting your new windows, andaying for them out of savings. Must be so satisfying
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Sept - £900
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £327.26
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I feel really tired today. Didn't sleep well at all. As is the case in my life generally, once one thing is going well I look for something else to worry about. So now that things are ok at work, I've started worrying about home again. Lots of thinking about my relationship with dh. I do love him but we really are just living side by side rather than actually being in a relationship. It's sad, but I am starting to get to the point where I'm wondering whether it's any good for either of us. He seems genuinely happy just in his own company and doing his own thing, which is great for him - but is way less keen on getting involved in family life. I don't think it's because he doesn't care, but I don't know. I think he's just that introverted. Anyway - I'm trying to figure out at the moment what is just my own anxiety and what is genuine cause for concern.
    Had a nice day yesterday - spent most of it with bestie. We went to C0stco and did some shopping. It took way longer than I thought though, so I was tired when I got in. Did a bit of crochet in front of the telly, then went to bed and managed to lie awake for blimming ages before I fell asleep, then woke up a few times during the night as well. I gave up and got up just before 8 - put a load of washing on and then did a couple of hours of school work. It's done and out of the way for now - so I'm going tutoring in a couple of minutes and then I can enjoy the rest of the day just doing my own thing. Which in all honesty will probably be more crochet. I'm prepped for my observation now and the tests I had to look at have been marked so I'm going to relax. The weather is absolutely miserable so a day indoors will be good.
    Also need to make sure that I prep some food and plan for the week ahead. Eating properly makes the world of difference to my mood.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    Well, what an utterly manic and hectic couple of days, but..... WE HAVE NEW WINDOWS!!!! And doors. After 13 years I finally have double glazing and am looking forward to getting up in the morning and not freezing my backside off as I walk past the front door because it's so old with a massive gap at the bottom. And no more condensation on the inside of the windows (I hope). And lower heating bills too I hope. I am devastated in my own way at handing over £4000 in cash to someone, and although I'm comforting myself with the fact that I had saved the money up and haven't gone into debt, it's going to be a frugal Christmas, and if anything goes wrong that requires me to spend money then I'm stuffed. This includes dh going off on the sick.
    I was quite stressed yesterday when I got home - it was filthy. We've had gales and when they've taken the old windows out, everything has blown right through the house. There's a layer of dust over everything, and I had to do 3 hours of cleaning before I could sit down last night. We ended up getting takeaway because I was so worn out and then I couldn't sleep because I was fretting about how dirty the house was and my observation today. I ended up with just a couple of hours of sleep and have felt pretty grotty for most of the day.
    Observation is over and done with, and fortunately went well. Got home tonight and the windows and doors are finished - 2 hours of cleaning (and it's still dirty). A mixture of being thrilled and really worried about handing over all that cash.
    I would definitely have a headache if I didn't have the daith piercing done. I'm lucky in that I don't get the actual pain, but I can tell I'm worn out and I need a good rest. Telly, then bed for me!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 4th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Glad the observation went well.

I would take it as a good thing that handing over so much cash is daunting. Clearly learned lessons from when you were in debt. I'd be worried if you didn't care!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Gosh, I woke up this morning feeling awful. It was a migraine for sure, but without the headache. Which is the oddest thing to try and explain, but basically I had a stiff neck and shoulders, pressure behind my eyes and I felt sick. Took migraine meds and it eased off by mid morning, but I was very tired. Work is non-stop. I thought that my promotion was more money for what I'd been doing anyway, but I have way less free time, and I get dragged into loads of meetings that I never saw last year.
    I'm tired tonight but determined to get an early night and try and rest a bit more. Just need to use my time a bit more wisely at work. I have planning to do, marking to do, assessments to write, and I think that I need to just suck up the fact that I'll be very busy this weekend with work. It'll be worth it if I get on top of everything though.
    On the plus side though, my house is beautifully warm and looks lovely.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Wow - I didn't realise that it had been so many days since I posted on here. Ooops - sorry. I have the best of intentions but then get a bit full of procrastination and other stuff and never get things done. Yet I always seem to be busy.
    At the moment I'm trying to prepare for a few things that are going on - assessments at work that I have to write, a training session I'm delivering at a friend's school on Thursday, less free time, new marking policy etc. Things are quite manic, plus I'm now quite aware that Christmas is looming and my crochet is not going as well as I would like it to... I always completely underestimate what a perfectionist I am and how long it takes me to actually get stuff done.
    Cleaner came for 3 hours today, and the house finally feels nice again, which I'm really happy about. It's one less thing I need to worry about, and she is some of the best money that I've ever spent. I wish I'd done it years ago.
    Struggling a bit physically and mentally - I think it's all stress related. I don't get the headaches any more since my daith piercing, but I get the pressure behind the eyes and the stiff neck and I'm really, really tired. But I genuinely am not sure how I can reduce my stress levels at the moment...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,792 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Apologies
    I am not giving my diary and other threads on here the care and attention that they deserve at the moment. Sorry.
    I think I might be having what I consider to be a minor mental health crisis at the moment. Can't say for sure as it's self diagnosed, based on the fact that I tried every single day last week to get a doctor's appointment and there isn't anything available in the next fortnight at all. So I've decided myself that's what's going on. I'm not sure whether I need a doctor's appointment though - I mean what are they going to do? Put me on a waiting list for yet more counselling that I can't find the time to go to? They already said last year that I can't up my medication... I know what's wrong with me - I have general anxiety disorder and social anxiety. I know what I'm supposed to do in terms of thinking patterns and behaviours but I'm just absolutely exhausted at the moment. Having anxiety is exhausting on its own, plus our head of department has gone sick at work (leaving me in charge ) and the technician is off sick, and dh is doing nothing except drinking, sleeping and work, and the kids are lazy so and sos. I'm literally shattered all of the time, and then when I lie down I can't sleep, but I can't be bothered to do anything else either. I'm just annoying myself. Have to talk myself into getting out of bed in the morning because I'm worrying so much about anything and everything. It is utterly ridiculous.
    Had my first ever public panic attack at work on Friday - thankfully it was other staff and not kids as we were on a training day. But I was so uncomfortable about walking around and getting into working groups with people I don't know well, or don't want to work with, and not wanting to answer stupid questions about what chocolate bar I would be... I held of as long as I could but ended up bursting into tears and running out of the hall. Utterly embarrassing and it's made me not want to go back to work tomorrow. Head of department still off, so I'm still in charge. Keep telling myself just one more week until half term so I really just need to survive. I keep trying to get myself into the mindset of more positive thinking but I just can't be bothered by the time I've done everything else that I have to do. I need a day with more than 24 hours in it - or the ability to clone myself so that I can do 2 things at once...
    I feel utterly pathetic and desperately don't want to feel like this, but just can't seem to pull myself around at the moment. Sorry.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 15th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi ccl, sorry to hear you're not feeling yourself at the moment. It sounds like you don't physically have enough time to do everything you need to. I know this might sound a bit extreme, it's something youve mentioned before, but have you considered a career change? I know you've only recently taken on a new role, but sometimes we have to do what's best for us, you need to be able to make time for things like counselling if you need it. We only get one body, one mind, and it can be easy to overlook our needs when we have so much on our plates.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 01/10/17 - £420 2017 365 day challenge £527 saved for emergency fund
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 22,137 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I don't know what to say CCL but wanted to post to send some ((hugs)) to you and to let you know that people on here really do care.

Do you think it is the new role which has triggered this? You posted before about more responsibility but being given less time to do it in. I know you are a perfectionist and wondered if this might be part of the reason.

I'm thinking along the same lines as lcc86, you don't have enough hours in the day to do everything so something has to give.
    There are lots of teachers on MSE and what I have noticed is that they can only manage to juggle all their balls because either they have a supportive partner/husband who picks up some of the slack or they are single with either grown up children or no children.
    I know you cant get rid of the children....................................
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 15th Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 5,087 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Sorry to hear you are feeling like this CCL, I'm afraid I don't have anything useful to add but didn't want to read and run. Big hugs
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Sorry to hear that you're not yourself. I'm not entirely sure what to say. I appreciate that time to yourself may well be the problem here and so this suggestion will probably be useless. However I found that some time (any time, 30 seconds or 30 minutes) of meditation can make me feel better.

The word meditation even puts me off, but download the free app called Calm. You just listen with your headphones on and focus on your breathing. Made a real big difference to me. It allowed me to collect my thoughts, calm down, focus, energise and be mindful. Nothing to lose.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 17th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 9,072 Thanks
    Florence J
    I want you to give yourself credit for what you have achieved and for making a go of things and for trying and aiming and having goals.

I have severe anxiety issues as you know. Yesterday in my counselling session I was telling my counsellor that although I don't necessarily fear the future, I do see my future as being limited. This is because I've told myself I will never overcome my anxiety about learning to drive, I will never have a job role that requires responsibility or the management of people therefore my earning potential is limited and in all seriousness I told my counsellor I am wondering whether it would be responsible of me to ever have children considering my mental health problems.

So you definitely do not have enough hours in the day, you definitely do not have enough support, you are pushed to the limit and your mental health has suffered, but you are capable of achieving great things, you've achieved more in the last year than I at this moment in time can imagine achieving in my life time and so things are bad at the moment, but you do have it within you to survive and to fix the problem. X
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,496Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin