Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,329Posts
    • 28,597Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 45
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Good morning
    I'm pleased to report a good night's sleep last night so I feel a bit more human today. Just sitting on my bum and having a cup of tea before I get going. I'm putting my to-do list on here again today because I'm far more productive when I'm accountable.
    Washing
    Dishes
    Get cat litter
    Sew blanket up
    Feed bestie's cats (last day today as she's home later)
    Send a couple of emails chasing missing exam payments
    It's not much so far but there are little things I need to get done that I keep putting off. I'm not sure what today's plans actually are but I'll speak to the kids once they're up and about. See if they fancy doing anything.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Oh. My. Goodness.
    I've just done something terribly expensive and impulsive, but I had the money to do it. I've just bought a new sofa. You may have remembered me mentioning my beloved purple sofa on occasion, which I got as a hand-me-down from my mam a few years ago. It is approaching 20 years old, is incredibly comfortable and has definitely seen better days, but I haven't wanted to get rid because I love it so much.
    DD wanted to go to a shopping outlet this afternoon and we ended up in N3xt, which is where the purple sofa came from. And a sofa caught my eye that looked about the same size and comfort level as the purple one. I mentioned it to dd, but it had no price on it. So she went and got an assistant who told me it was reduced from £1350 to £945. The kids loved it, but I was a bit unsure and made an excuse that we didn't know if there were any feet for it. She went off and told me that she could sell it to me for £810. I still had that left over from exam marking so I've bought it. It feels like such a massive impulse buy - but the kids are chuffed, and I will be too if it turns out to be half as good as the purple one. Plus it's not a hand me down as the last 3 sofas I've had have been. Maybe it's about time... I do feel incredibly guilty about it though.

Anyway - we weren't going to do anything at all today so I was getting annoying jobs done.

Washing
    Dishes
    Get cat litter
    Sew blanket up in progress
    Feed bestie's cats (last day today as she's home later)
    Send a couple of emails chasing missing exam payments
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    I also did another couple of annoying jobs - updating our voting preferences online, making a phone call I'd been putting off etc. The kids decided they didn't want to do anything today and so I was in the process of sewing up the blanket (200 wool ends ) when dd came and asked if she could go to the beauty bargains shop at the outlet place. So we went there and apart from her beauty bargains and the sofa we also got a new pair of trousers for dd, some books, a pair of sunglasses and yet more fidget spinners for ds. Safe to say it wasn't a nsd
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 1st Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,896 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    All I can say about the sofa is
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    All I can say about the sofa is
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant

Thanks EE - not the best start to scrimping September though It's being delivered this afternoon and I am stupidly excited about it, although dreading the hassle of getting the sofas in and out of the house. I seem to remember a real pain in the bum getting the current one in. It will be worth it. And I think the first thing I'll do when it arrives is to lie down on it and have a nap. This is because I may, or may not have a medium sized hangover this morning - too much fizzy wine last night. Not celebrating the sofa it was a belated wedding anniversary celebration.
    Today needs to be a quiet day for the sake of my purse and my head. Although I planned a quiet day yesterday and look what happened
    Got a letter through the post confirming my promotion (and pay rise) at work, which is good I would celebrate if I hadn't already celebrated last night. Only 2 days till work starts again though so I need a couple of quiet days and restful nights I think.
    Bestie will be over this morning for coffee and a long overdue catch up, which I'm looking forward to. Other than that - just the usual...
    Wash dishes
    Load of washing
    Get the old sofa out of the house
    Arrange disposal of old sofa
    Crochet - must finish baby blanket today.
    Nap and survive on paracetamol
    Tiny bit of work related stuff
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy new sofa
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well, I can declare myself nsd number 1 of the month. The hangover completely got the better of me and I haven't felt like doing anything much all day.

Wash dishes
    Load of washing
    Get the old sofa out of the house
    Arrange disposal of old sofa
    Crochet - must finish baby blanket today.
    Nap and survive on paracetamol
    Tiny bit of work related stuff
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Well. Bestie arrived for cuppa and catch up and left just after lunchtime. Hangover wouldn't allow me to eat lunch but I kept my coffee down. So no nap for me but I have survived on paracetamol and am not a million miles from heading off to bed. As the new sofa was due at 3pm, by half one I figured I should have a go at getting the old sofa out of the house. This involves, taking the feet and cushions off, turning sofa through a 90 degree angle, tipping it forward, shoving it into the kitchen, tipping it onto its edge, moving it up the stairs, getting the front door open, moving it back down the stairs and out of the door. It took me 40 minutes on my own, then dh got out of bed and helped me to get it up the stairs, then out of the door. I feel like I've been squashed. I've hurt my ankle, my wrist and my hips are starting to seize up. So unfit since I stopped seeing my trainer.
    New sofa actually arrived at half past five, without any feet. Fair enough - I'd kept the feet from the old sofa, and knew I was buying it sold as seen. It took the delivery men and dh less than 5 minutes to get the new sofa in and I just stood outside a bit helpless while they had the door shut So got in, put the feet on the sofa and now I realise that it's on a bit of a tilt. The front and back feet on the one in the catalogue are different and the front ones are higher. So I contacted N3xt and was told that the sofa had been sold as seen and I couldn't order feet for it separately. I said that was fine, but could I please have the dimensions of the feet so that I could order some in the right height for the sofa. You'd think I'd asked for a state secret or something. Eventually, the girl on the live chat told me that they could ask the warehouse to supply me with replacement feet for £40 but I would need to open an account so that there was a delivery address. So off I went to open an account, got an account number and rang them back to be told that I can't order them after all I am literally not even a little bit bothered about having the right feet for the sofa but I need to know what the size difference between them is so that I can order some actually in the right height so we're not sliding off the sofa when we sit on it. Jeez - I can see myself closing that account straight away - not the best of customer services to be honest. And I don't even like N3xt apart from their sofas. Think I might just have a guess and see what I can come up with...
    And I've just realised that I ordered and paid for cat litter yesterday and was told it would be delivered today, and it hasn't been. So now I'll have to chase that on Monday as well. Gad.
    Why do things have to be so complicated? I might go back to the outlet shop and measure feet on some of their other sofas myself. That would be a decent use of common sense.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Is the back visible or against a wall? Can you make small wedges of wood to go under the back feet as a temporary (or perm if not visible) solution?

I hate N too. Worth an email to the Chief exec maybe?
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 2nd Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 34,347 Thanks
    DawnW
    What are N3xt doing selling sofas without feet, if they are supposed to have them CCL?
    Grocery spends for September £143.05 / £160.00 (includes milkman's bill)
    SFDs for September 5/18
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 2nd Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Ah sorry to hear about your sofa woes CCL. Hope they get something sorted soon.
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Aug - £960
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £254.52
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 3rd Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,896 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Oh no - poor sofa with no feet!!

I would be on social media and asking them to sort things - they seem to have better customer service with social media complaints.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 3rd Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Happy New Sofa! I hope you get the feet issue sorted...I agree that complaining via social media might help.
    HSBC CC £7150.15 - £6524.68 ~~~ Barclay Card £7894.74 £7846.32 ~~~ MBNA 1 £10382.67 - £10272.67 ~~~ MBNA 2 £7214.28 - £7062.94 ~~~Argos £202.05 - £100.05 ~~~ HSBC Loan £399.27 - £0 ~~~ Hitachi Loan £24.12 - £0 ~~~ Car Loan £14745.60 - £14008.32
    TOTAL £48012.88 - £45814.98 (Paid £2197.90 so far)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks everyone I was very tired and frustrated by 8pm last night and felt like everything was a bit much. Dawn, the N3xt I bought it from is an outlet store, which is why I got it for so much less than in the shops at the moment. They are sold as seen, and I got an extra £135 knocked off the already discounted price because there were no feet. So I gave up by about half eight last night and decided to go to bed as I was so shattered - then unfortunately I couldn't get to sleep no matter how hard I tried - it was after 11pm before I dozed over and then I was wide awake again at half past three. I tried to get back to sleep for about an hour but then came downstairs to relax on the new sofa.
    While I was up and about I had a go at stacking the front of the sofa up with books so I could get a rough idea of what height feet I needed, and then went a surfing on t'internet. Lo and behold, Ik3a had exactly what I was looking for, and only £20 rather than the £40 N3xt had suggested for their non existent feet. I found a handy little app for the phone for Ik3a too, and decided that if I was going to Ik3a I might as well get some stuff for the house I needed so put my little shopping list together on the app - which guided me through the shop and told me where to find everything. How brilliant. So I got the sofa feet, a new coffee table (with storage for my wool under it), new lampshades (one got broken moving the old sofa out yesterday), some tea plates (we were down to 3), scissors, wooden spoons and some under bed storage for ds. I was very impressed indeed... Could spend hours and a lot of money in that place given half a chance.
    While I was out and spending I went to Mr M to do a top up shop for the week ahead so hopefully won't need to go again this week. And put £40 of petrol in the car. It feels like a massive spend now but hoping it'll be enough not to have to spend again during the week. We shall see
    Got home and did all the Ik3a stuff - new lampshades on, assembled coffee table, changed sofa feet (who needs you N3xt???) etc and now am starting to fret about going back to work tomorrow. It will be fine, and should be way less stressful that going back in previous years because I like the Head so much. But I'm still down about the exam results and feeling like I've let him and the kids down. Still, time to move on. Plans are for a soak in the bath later with a good book and an early night. Whether or not I'll get any sleep will be another issue.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 3rd Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    louby40
    Another teacher here knowing I won't sleep tonight! We have a new head who wants to do some ice-breaking activities with us tomorrow - some of us aren't impressed! Just get some dates in the diary, look at where we need to go as a school and let us sort ourselves out for Tuesday.

Our last headteacher was brilliant - best boss I've worked for in my 22 year career so far! she didn't do any ice breaking activities when she came!

hope you sleep!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 3rd Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,963 Posts
    • 13,192 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    All the best for tomorrow CCL
    £450/3000 OH BC(85% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £450/31010.23 (98.54% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,950.00 (2017 O/P £1774.74) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £16231.98/14,539.71
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I managed 6 hours which is pretty much unheard of for me before the start of a new school year. I woke up loads but managed to get back to sleep with a bit of mindfulness. I don't know what today will bring as it is INSET, but I'll be thinking of you Louby - our new Head started this January and I was so nervous about it. Luckily for me it's been a massive improvement in every way I could have thought.
    I'm heading in early to finalise what needs to be done with my new room and to get settled into my new middle management role. My head of department asked me if there was any chance I could come in early to meet with him before anyone else arrives, so we can present a united front at the first meetings today. I'm nervous but excited (although that could be the coffee )
    See you all later!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 4th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    louby40
    I slept too - couldn't quite believe it. Hope your day went well. I was in at 8am. Nice to catch up with everyone.

Our new head seems ok, he has a good vision. But time will tell as he has a lot to live up to.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well I survived, and I came home with a bit of a headache. Shame the piercing didn't quite stave it off today, but it's not as bad as I usually get. It was ok, the only thing that has completely freaked me out is the idea of doing a Year 11 assembly at some point during the year. Of all the positive and happy things that have happened today, that its the one thing that has really stuck in my head.
    In between meetings I finally finished sorting out my new classroom and getting things put away. Also prepped myself for the week ahead and the classes I have. For the first time since I started teaching it's all new tomorrow; new form class and new teaching classes as well as my new role. It feels a bit scary, but I've survived this long - I'm sure I can manage this year as well.
    So I got home early - just after 4pm and napped for an hour to sleep off the headache. Took ds to his swimming lesson and have spent the evening doing a bit of prepping for tomorrow and getting my own kids ready for their first day back in Year 4 and Year 8 tomorrow as well. Early nights all round (although that nap may have scuppered my chances).
    Also managed a nsd as we had pizza in the fridge for dinner so no Monday takeaway required.
    Must try and remember to hang on to how ok I feel at the moment because it is definitely going to get harder than this. We have a lot of progress to make.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 5th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just rereading through yesterday's post and laughing at my stupid positivity. Should have kept my mouth firmly shut.
    Got up after a good sleep, kids were up on time - all out on time, looking good. Unfortunately the pittling rain meant a rather large pile up on the motorway, which meant I got into work almost an hour later than I'd planned (still not late, but late enough for my liking). Then battled with my computer and projector, which decided that it didn't fancy working...
    Text came in from dd's school saying she'd been sent home immediately to sort out her incorrect uniform. I thought they'd sent to the wrong person - seriously - I spent nearly £100 on their stupid cheap-to-make-expensive-to-buy trousers, tie and blazer so that she was in the right uniform. I rang dd and she said it was because of her shoes - the uniform states a formal leather shoe. I'd presumed that suede counts as leather, but according to her school it counts as a canvas shoe. Luckily enough, we'd bought her a couple of pairs of shoes so she had another pair to wear but they have rubbed her heels to bits bless her. She told me that over 100 kids had been sent home today for wrong uniform - mainly the stupid trousers. You can only get them from 1 supplier and because they are so ill fitting and expensive, lots of parents went elsewhere for trousers and kids were sent home. And I hear that the supplier is now out of trousers so you can't get them now anyway. Then on top of that, parents who have sent their kids in Mr A trousers have been provided free trousers that we have paid £16 a pair for. I rang the school but they clearly couldn't be bothered with the amount of complaints they'd had and they fobbed me off with a load of rubbish excuse. I don't see where it's fair that some kids get their trousers for free.
    Anyway, after all that I had the most nightmarish first day of teaching I can remember in ages. Year 10 have come back with such a poor attitude - I never have to tell people off on the first day back, until today. And the class next door made the new teacher cry - horrible so and so's. I went to the Head and complained about it. Nobody should have to deal with that on Day 1.
    So I've gotten home in a bit of a mood and quite fed up after my positivity of yesterday. Really not impressed with how today has gone at all...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening
    Pleased to report a much improved day today than I had yesterday. I was quite upset at how badly things had gone when I got home last night. Had a shower and an early night, and apparently slept ok (though didn't feel like personally). Managed to get into work without any major hassles, and lessons/classes were much improved on yesterday. It used to be the case that Year 8 was a tough year group, but Year 10 are really taking the mickey now. I have 3 Year 10 classes this year as well - tomorrow I have 2 hours with the class that made the new teacher cry yesterday so we shall see how that goes. I've planned as much as I can but it really all depends on their behaviour. Moved my furniture round as well so I don't have people gathering at the back of the room thinking I can't see them.
    There really isn't much else to report at all. Just lots of getting back into the swing of things and getting used to school life again.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,597 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    No, don't worry - Year 10 didn't get the better of me. That first class I had were by far the worst of the whole week, although I think that Year 9 might end up being awful. I was just so tired that I was getting home and then going straight to sleep.
    I'm really pleased to have gotten through the first week back. My anxiety doesn't cope well with a lot of change really quickly and there's been a lot of change this week. New classroom, new form class, new classes, new job role, plus all the other hassle with dd and her school uniform on top of that. I can tell I'm a bit stressed though because I didn't sleep well at all last night and woke up at 5am. Overall the week went fine, but I am amazed that I have more responsibility than I had last year, and 2 less frees to do it in. Not that happy about that to be honest.
    Bestie has just arrived for coffee so will report later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,598Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin