Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,368Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 41
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I'm really pleased that you are noticing the difference for all the extra work you have going on at the moment CCL. I think a holiday abroad would be lovely for you all - you've had a tough couple of years, and memories are worth way more than a lick of paint....but that's just my unsolicited opinion
    Plus if you join a group like holiday pirates, you often find amazing deals if you don't mind being a bit last minute? Best of both worlds maybe? x
    £250/3000 OH BC(91.66% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £250/31010.23 (99.19% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £2221.94) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,309.18/14,539.71
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    That's the problem Kirsty - I have literally no idea where to even start in terms of looking for a family holiday. It's so many years since DH and I went away, and we've never ever been away as a family of four. I don't know where we would go, what we would do and where is good value bearing in mind I am restricted to actual school holidays £££££££
    I will research some more.
    Does anybody think all inclusive is the way to go? It seems like a good value thing to me but again I just don't know...
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 12th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I always go all inclusive personally, not that I eat in the hotel every night but at least that way any juice/beer/spirits are included and I know that my meals are there. I try and have a few meals out over a fortnight, just to get a feeling for the Countries foods but I know that if I am low on funds all food and drinks are already sorted - a huge weight off of my mind!

I usually book ours on Travel Republic or I use skyscanner for flights and then hotel websites to book accommodation, but I can appreciate that this probably isn't the way forward with kids!

For our weekend away last week I booked through Thomas Cook late deals - awful leg room on the plan but the resort was decent, food more than edible, lovely weather and I thoroughly enjoyed not trying to haggle with local taxis to get to resort as transfers were already included. That said, I don't plan to do another tour operator holiday in a hurry as I like my bargains too much
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £250/31010.23 (99.19% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £2221.94) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,309.18/14,539.71
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Jul 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Guess what?
    I have almost survived exam season!!! All of the usual stuff is done - there's one more series of exams left to mark for this year and I'm done. I've woken up this morning without having to get straight on with work and I barely know what to do with myself. I always say during the time that I'm not going to do it again but I learn so much and my bank balance really appreciates it so it's kind of worth the 6 weeks of working 80-90 hours and doing nothing else I think... Managing 1 paper over 3 weeks should be a bit of a breeze after what I've been managing since the first of June.
    The only thing that is still really bothering me is the state of the house. As ever I get little to no help so for the past 6 weeks there has been next to nothing done. I've decided to hire a skip over the hols and properly declutter and then I'll get on with the business of finding a cleaner to keep on top of it.
    So - plans for today... Cup of tea x1000 and a box set or something. And crochet - I've really missed my crochet over the past few weeks. I need to get the washing done and dried ready for the last week at school. This time next week I will be putting my feet up properly ready to enjoy 6 weeks with very little to no work at all. Focus on me, my family and hopefully getting the house decluttered.
    I thought I'd be raring to go but I actually just feel really tired. Ah well. Time for and relaxing all day if I feel like it.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 16th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 22,398 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Welcome back CCL.

Well done for getting through the last 6 weeks

Hope you get a nice holiday out of the money you have earned.

Fab idea to get a skip - I cant believe no one has stepped up to do some housework while you have been busy earning extra money
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 17th Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    erin_transport
    Well done CCL

Great idea getting a skip in - rewatch the YouTube Kondo series and get chucking out - especially items belonging to non-helpers lol
    On a mission!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,590 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Huge well done and I hope you managed a relaxing Sunday.

No rest for the wicked. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Try not to get too worked up about what 'needs' done. You'll get there.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning
    Look at this - 2 days in a row for the first time in for ever.
    Lovely day yesterday sitting on my bum and doing very little other than crochet and tv watching. Got right through a couple of series on catch up that I missed while I've been so busy.
    Back to reality with a bang today though - got into work and I've found that my computer isn't working properly and I can't access any of the school documents I need. Plus my projector is broken so no interactive stuff or presentations. And to top it all off I've been given cover for a sick colleague as well. Just trying to maintain the focus on this time next week...
    Not sure how I'm really feeling today. I'm still tired, and I feel a bit down about things. Don't know if it's the crash after being so busy. DH went out all day yesterday on his own (and whether or not it's true it really feels like he will do anything he can to avoid spending time with me and the kids) and I spoke to the kids about their lack of help around the house to get a load of attitude from both of them. I've ended up feeling quite unappreciated to be honest. I work hard, they do nothing and spend my money basically. Still, I suppose that's part of being a parent... Plus ds has broken his phone screen again and I'm obviously the worst mother in the world because I won't replace it again for him and I've told him he needs to pay for it.
    I wasn't expecting a party or anything, but a little bit of appreciation wouldn't go amiss. Still, I suppose it's one of those things that you don't realise what you have until it goes...
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 69,666 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Cat

Im glad you are through the exam season, 80 to 90 hours is a huge amount to put in.

Im sorry you are not getting the help you need and deserve around the house. Its not all your job, and you shouldnt have to do it all.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,590 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Sending you hugs CCL. Hope you're feeling a bit more upbeat today.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Mood is still fairly poor to be honest. I'm not feeling that great again today. I am really, really tired and didn't sleep well with the heat last night.
    I took ds to his swimming last night and was internet browsing and found an amazing 4 day hot tub break for next to nothing for me and the kids (dh at work) but for next week. By the time I'd rang dh to tell him and then gone back on the website it was gone and I was way more upset about it than I should have been to be fair. I just really fancied a short break away from all the day to day running of the home where I could relax and do next to nothing. DD says I should hire a hot tub at home but I've explained to her that it doesn't really mean I can relax when the house is a tip. I wish I could do what they all do, which is to completely ignore it and put their feet up. Meh.
    I think I'm just shattered - I need a break from everything but I'm not getting much of a break at the moment. I was stupidly excited about the prospect of a few days in a lodge away from stuff - so I think I might just keep checking on there and see if anything comes up. Don't fancy my chances much in the summer hols though - expensive hols when school is out.
    Not much else to report to be honest - school is winding down for summer now. More than half of the students are out on their reward trip today so classes are much smaller. Projector still playing up a bit but other than that I'm just counting the days and hours until Friday ticks around.

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening
    Really pleased to report that I'm feeling a bit better today than I have been. Still tired. Still run down. Still very fat. But happier within myself than I have been for a while. Now I just need to get my backside in gear and get back into better physical health again. I'm almost finished with work and the end is in sight. Just a couple of things to do to get ready for a classroom move over the hols, 2 hours of teaching, 3 hours of form time and an interview for a promotion tomorrow. I'm trying not to get too stressed out about the whole thing because if I think too much about it then anxiety will kick in and I'll muck it up. I can do the job with my eyes closed and I've pretty much been doing it for the past couple of months so it should just be a formality but we all know how bad I am at interviews. So fingers crossed that tomorrow I'll be able to report in with my promotion to second in department...
    Other than that all is quiet...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 20th Jul 17, 7:08 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning
    I wish that my brain wasn't quite so good at worrying about stuff. This interview today is meant to be a bit of a formality but my brain is making me panic and stress about it. I feel sick with worry - although I have already been doing this job for a few months and I know that I can do it. Took me ages to fall asleep last night and then I was wide awake and stressing by half past five this morning.
    On the bright side though, it is my last day of teaching today - I have no lessons tomorrow. Just a bit of time with my form class and a final bit of packing up ready for the class move and then 6 weeks of hols may begin. And I can hardly wait!!
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 20th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    CCL you will do amazingly well because you are amazing anyway! I'm wishing you all the luck in the World anyway
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 20th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks Kirsty.
    I'm just sitting here trying to kill a bit of time - I have 20 minutes to wait and the nasty b I t c h voice in my head is really going off on one... Seriously - nobody on Earth can self sabotage like I can, and I am my own worst enemy at times. I'm trying to give myself a bit of a pep talk here though, talk myself round and say good things to myself.
    On the plus side I haven't managed to eat anything yet today because I'm too nervous. Small victories.
    I've decided that I definitely want to take a couple of days away this year, no matter what. I need it - I really need some wind down and relaxation time and I think I've earned it. I was so disappointed to lose out the other day it made me realise that I need to put myself first for once and even if it's just a couple of days I need that break. So I'm going to take it. DH packs himself off and disappears for hours or days at a time winding down - I need that too. Although whether that will be any good with kids is debatable...
    Right, that's taken up another few minutes. 10 more to go...

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 20th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Phew - I survived. And promotion given so I'm now officially more important than I was a couple of hours ago. I don't know why I worry and stress so much, I just want to sleep now all the adrenalin has gone.
    I've definitely decided to book a couple of days away. Just deciding where and when. Lake District or N Yorks... not sure as yet.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 20th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    How did it go CCL?
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 20th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Oops, didn't refresh before I posted

Congratulations! It's very much deserved, and I hope you book a fantastic break and it does you the World of good
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 20th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    erin_transport
    Congrats.
    Break away to recharge the batteries needed for sure
    On a mission!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,590 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Superb CCL!!! Well done, very well deserved as is your break away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin