Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,875Posts
    • 27,185Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 39
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks for that Erin - I will look into it. I have an incredible amount of guilt because I do love him to bits but find it so difficult.
    Yesterday descended into chaos very quickly indeed once ds got home - he was in an absolutely terrible mood and within about 5 minutes he was grounded and I had forced dh out of bed so that me and dd could go to my mam's without him. It was a difficult day and I was quite tearful by the time 6pm ticked round. Then dh announced he was going out 'for a drive' and disappeared for 5 hours. I hope that it has helped him to feel a bit better.
    Today it is chucking it down with rain so we are unlikely to be doing much. We are completely desperate for a proper grocery shop though, so I intend to get that done today. It's been literally months since the 4 of us went supermarket shopping together with a list so we need to make sure that gets done. I will leave it until lunchtime and offer dh the option of coming with us but if I can't get him up we'll go without him.
    Also need to pack a bag. Me and the kids are going to Alton Towers for a couple of days tomorrow and Wednesday with bestie and her ds. We won't need much so a little bag each will do - but the car is desperate for sorting and cleaning out. Was going to do it today but the weather may not permit it. We'll see. Looking forward to a bit of a break and some time away from everyday life - although I always miss the cats when we're gone
    Exam marking proper starts today as well so I'm setting aside a couple of hours today so that I can do that. Need to pace myself as I have a lot of exam marking this season. Good job I enjoy it so much.
    Obviously the house is still a mess, and obviously I will be doing the bare minimum that I can get away with.
    Have a good day all
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 29th May 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 11,252 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Enjoy your break cat hope the change if scenery does you good.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 30th May 17, 7:26 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just giggling to myself at the thought of a couple of hours of exam marking - it ended up being 6 But it's done and I can head off today and tomorrow without the guilt of a load of work hanging over my head. DS is up and stupidly excited about it all - already getting in a mood with his sister because she's putting her face on before we can go. I'm using it as an opportunity to say a quick bye bye to everyone on here for a day or two.
    Couldn't get dh out of bed yesterday so me and the kids went shopping on our own and spent a small fortune but at least the cupboards are stocked and we have food again. I am still worried about dh - I had been trying to figure out a way of telling him that I love him but he's withdrawing from family life again. I ended up writing a letter - allows me to get my point across without being too emotional. Reminded him that I love him but I sometimes find things a struggle as well and that it's hard to know if he's withdrawing through being ill or through choice. Hopefully it will help and not make him feel any worse.
    Think it might be a long couple of days - ds and dd are already winding each other up. He's desperate to get going and she's taking ages getting ready. Ah well.
    Have a good one all - I'll be back as and when I can.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 30th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,562 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Enjoy you well deserved break.

I've written letters before too. That way you can take your time to write down your feelings without interruption, I hope it all works out.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 31st May 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    We're back and I'm exhausted! Long drive, and not a massive amount of sleep with loads and loads of walking, plus going on rides that I didn't want to go on to be a good friend and parent... I'm not good on big rollercoasters unfortunately.
    I'm going to bed because I ache all over and I'm sunburnt and feeling a bit sorry for myself. I need a clear head to start my marking proper in the morning as well. I'll report in properly then. I'd rather sleep well now and get up early in the morning than stay up late now when I'm so worn out.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I thought I'd feel better this morning - and whilst I'm less tired I'm still aching all over and my sunburnt feet are still sore.
    I'm off out today as well, with my friend who I only get to see during the hols. It will be strange as her kids are with their dad and dd has made plans to go out so the only child there will be ds - I really hope that he behaves himself.
    Also I really need to get on with exam marking, so whilst I promised a proper check in this morning - it will have to wait because there's a lot to do today...
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 1st Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,562 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Glad you enjoyed yourself. Hope you wake with a refreshed approach and are able to seize the day and get through the dreading marking.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Yesterday was lovely. Was great to see my friend again as it always is. We had a good day out and ds was surprisingly well behaved. Definitely not a nsd as I got dragged into Primarni, and ds loves a primarni. But I don't mind that at all - he gets through clothes at some rate and cheap is good.
    Other than that I held onto my cash... Which I'm happy about.
    Today also won't be a nsd as ds and I have a hair appointment at 9am. It's been booked for weeks though and we can't really miss it. We're looking after bestie's son as she's had to go into work so I hope that they manage to behave while we're there. Other than that today's plans are exam marking. I'm a bit behind my own schedule - I've done the minimum I need to but I've lost a couple of days with being away and being out yesterday. At least ds and his friend will keep each other entertained so I can get some work done.
    So, nothing much else to report - just time for me to have a cuppa before I get dressed and we go out. I'll catch up on here as well. All work and no play etc....
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 2nd Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,470 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Just catching up on your last few days Cat. I'm glad you managed to get away for a while. Writing a letter is always useful even if you don't send it in the end.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Still not much to report - there never is in exam season because my life is all work. It was really good having ds friend over yesterday because they kept each other entertained beautifully so I got a good chunk of marking. Still loads to do so that's my main plan for today. I wonder if I might manage to bag a nsd today???
    I have 2 hours of tutoring later this morning, but no plans other than that. I would like to get ahead on my marking again. I love doing it but it's busy and I don't get a lot of time for anything else. I haven't done any crochet since Monday and I'm doing even less housework than normal if that could be possible. Stuff can wait - housework always needs doing. As long as I'm getting rubbish in the bins, washing done and food then all of the rest can wait. Or - shock horror - perhaps my children could do something to help!!!
    Right. I have a cuppa in hand and am going to catch up here before I start for the day.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 3rd Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,470 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Cat
    You are doing wonderfully coping with it all. I bet it's not you causing all the mess in any case!
    Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I feel very sad again this morning - more horrid news overnight. I remember when I was a kid there always seemed to be stuff in the news about the IRA and now it's all coming back again on the terrorism front. I genuinely don't understand why people just can't be more tolerant of others. Silly me.
    DH has gone out for the day - taken the car and gone off for a long drive in the Lake District. I'm sure he'll enjoy it - bit of time on his own on a nice day with some gorgeous scenery. I, however, am already at the end of my tether with the kids. DS and his usual c r a p p y attitude, dd and her teenage attitude of being way too cool for her family. I'm just going to leave them to it and plod on with my exam marking. I had planned to take the pair of them out for a Sunday Lunch but have changed my mind now. Can't be bothered at all for the pair of them - ungrateful so and so's.
    Anyway, I've drank tea, eaten breakfast and am going to make a start for the day...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 5th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just a quick hello, and to let everyone know I'm still here - just now I'm back at work I'm juggling that with marking as well so I have even less spare time than usual. No time for crochet at all but it's only for a few weeks.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 5th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    Florence J
    Just a quick hello, and to let everyone know I'm still here - just now I'm back at work I'm juggling that with marking as well so I have even less spare time than usual. No time for crochet at all but it's only for a few weeks.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Take care

Didn't you start this diary in the summer of 2016? I seem to remember you and DS going on lots of Pokemon Go walks

Just thought that it might be coming up to your anniversary
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £851.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£1840.88/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £601.75/£1001.75
    June 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4750
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Take care

Didn't you start this diary in the summer of 2016? I seem to remember you and DS going on lots of Pokemon Go walks

Just thought that it might be coming up to your anniversary
    Originally posted by Florence J
    It is - it'll be my second anniversary I remember doing loads of pokemon go in the summer last year. Hopefully we can enjoy something similar this year as well. If the weather is good. It's been raining here for the past 36 hours which is starting to get a bit miserable and starting to bring me down a little bit. But I am still too busy to pay it too much attention to be honest.
    I'm a bit worried about dd who seems to have been attacked by the hormone fairy. She's going from really angry to tearful in the blink of an eye. I know it's all normal but doesn't make it any easier to deal with.
    Bagged another nsd - I still have plenty of nutritious food in the fridge for the time being which should keep my energy levels up while I'm so busy. Thankfully (touch wood) now that the exams are in full flow work is a little quieter. Exam marking is still hectic so I'm just going to grab my dinner and then make a start for the evening.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    So last night was the night that I just got far too busy to get on here to say hello. I had a meeting after work and then needed to do some grocery shopping - it was well after 6pm when we got home and then by the time I finished unpacking the shopping I had a couple of hours to get some marking done and then head to bed.
    I predict that I will be similarly as busy tonight - I have another meeting from 4 until 5 and then I have to make time to go and vote with dh (because he won't bother if I don't make him). So I'm popping on quickly now to say hello. Not that there's anything in my life to report other than work and marking. No crochet happening at all, which is sad for me but I will get back to it. I think I'm almost at the half way point with the first batch of marking (there are another 2 to follow after this) but I don't feel as overwhelmed with it this year as I did last year. I'm definitely shattered, but not tearful like I can be...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Guess what? My life continues to be the boring boringness that it has been for the past 10 days or so... Not enough sleep and too much work basically. I'm hoping to get the majority of this first batch of marking done over the weekend - it always feels better when it's mostly done. And then I might feel less guilty about getting my crochet out again. I haven't done any for about 10 days now and I don't half miss the relaxation time and watching the telly while I'm doing a bit of crochet. It will be worth it when the money starts rolling in but at the moment I'm just really busy and really tired.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    So I had a day off from rest and relaxation yesterday to do a full day (ish) of work and marking. The exam marking didn't go as well as I'd liked - I thought I would get loads done but I just didn't, even though I worked for hours. I perhaps underestimated the time it would take to mark the long questions that need a lot of concentration... I also managed to catch up with bestie over a coffee for an hour and to do my tutoring session (just one of those left now ).
    I plan to do some more marking later but I'm going out with the kids and my mam in a little while - we're going to have a picnic and a day out at a science place in Newcastle. DH isn't coming which is a shame, but he really does struggle with mornings. It will be nice to have a day out and not be working - the coffee was much appreciated yesterday with bestie but I seem to be drowning in a sea of school stuff at the moment and it's nice to have a break.
    So I've been up and I've done the bare minimum of housework - hoover, mop, washing, dishes and packed a bit of a picnic - my mam will do the lovely main bit.
    Later everyone
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon all Today is a double or even triple day - I am so tired. I had the worst night of sleep I can remember in ages last night. I was still awake approaching 1am then up from not long after 5am. I feel pretty grotty.
    Think I am stressing about this meeting with the Head. I was summoned last week for a meeting that is in about 10 minutes and I don't know what it's about. He has already told me not to worry but I obviously can't help but worry - that's what I do best. We shall see what comes out of it, but I'm resting assured that I think he likes me as much as I like him so hopefully it's not too bad. It was on my mind lots last night so I think it stopped me switching off.
    Coupled with my latest round of nagging from my mam about the state of my house, which has quite upset me. She asked me if I'd sorted a cleaner out yet and when I said no she said I might have to get someone in to do a deep clean before I could get a cleaner. I asked her what she meant by it and was told that my house is shabby and in desperate need of a good clean. That has upset me a fair bit - I do the best I can with the time I have. We have clean clothes, the house doesn't leak, we can afford to eat. But now my own mother has passed her judgement on me. I was talking to my sister about it and she reminded me that my mam was never a clean freak when we were growing up. Surely I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that there's more to life? Plus there are 4 of us in that house and nobody else is doing their fair share...
    I'm kind of busy with being a mother, working full time and marking my exam contracts. So the cleaning can bot off for the moment. She has shamed me into contacting a company though....
    Right - it's time for my meeting. Wish me luck!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 27,185 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    So, not allowed the big reveal just yet about the meeting but it was quite good news and fairly hopeful about the future there. Once I can say for sure then I will - but there had been no need at all for me to panic about it the way I did - my stupid brain...
    Still feeling poo about the state of the house though. My anxiety is bad enough at the minute without my being paranoid about what my own mother thinks. Meh.
    Just got home from ds swimming lesson - I'm finally in my pj's with my feet up and relaxing for the evening. Just arguing with my inner self about whether or not to do an hour of marking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,965Posts Today

8,205Users online

Martin's Twitter