Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,879Posts
    • 27,222Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 37
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th May 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning CCL - hope today goes well!!! I know you'll knock it out the park.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th May 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Well I survived and made it through Ofsted, although I was a bit of a wreck yesterday. Lack of sleep and long hours had caught up with me - I'd only managed 3 hours of sleep on Thursday night. I'm not allowed to say how the school got on until the report is published, but my feedback from the inspectors was very good, which I'm relieved/pleased about. Apparently I'm very good at teaching, which is nice to know as that is the main reason I do the job And I needed the reminder yesterday because I was so tired and I had quite a run in with a Year 10 girl. So I'm pleased in terms of me and how I'm doing at work. And I'm doubly pleased that the Head made the time to come and see me and tell me that I need to stop doubting myself so much.
    There has been literally nothing else in my life for the past week. I totalled up how much work I've done since the end of the Easter hols and I've spent almost 190 hours on work stuff in 3 weeks. I am worn out that's for sure - and the exams start next week which means that the exam marking will be starting soon as well so more busy stuff.
    My money saving and frugality has gone out of the window this week. I've bought pre packed sandwiches, lunches on the run and takeaway. Ugh. Now I've had a good night's sleep I feel more like getting back to normality - I can't remember how long it is since I hoovered and that does stress me out somewhat.
    It's a usual Saturday - ds football, coffee with bestie, tutoring plus today I have a set of books to mark and a set of exam papers to mark. So it will be busy but at least I'm not tired any more.
    Back to normality, and only 2 weeks until half term
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 13th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,960 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Oh CCL, I don't know how you do it. I think you should get a cleaner too, just to take some pressure off you. Even if they only do the kitchen and bathroom and vac all over, it's a help.

But the time you would have been cleaning, get under one of your blankets and relax

Wishing these next 2 weeks away for you.......
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £191.06
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 14th May 17, 12:23 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    erin_transport
    All behind you now. Well done. Chin up.
    You're awesome!
    Agree with OE. Get a cleaner in.
    On a mission!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th May 17, 4:41 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Well the idea of sleep was good for a night at least It's half four and I've been awake for almost an hour - as I'm nowhere near getting back to sleep I've decided to get up and I can snooze in an hour or so on the sofa if I start feeling tired again.
    Had a nice day overall yesterday, although I can tell that I'm starting to reach breaking point as I was quite snappy with the family and short tempered. I will think about a cleaner, but I really must declutter first. When bestie came over yesterday I was talking about what my mam had said with her and she said that I would feel better if I blasted through each room in the house and decluttered. She's right. She even offered to help me bless her, but I think I might have a go at this one myself. Set myself a bit of a challenge - there's always decluttering stuff on here and it's no big deal to fill a bag of rubbish or recycling a day (if I have a spare half hour somewhere). We shall see because it is just one more thing that all of the family should be helping with. Maybe I should just start binning the stuff they leave lying around.
    Took naughty tortie to the vet for her regular treatment and check up. She's gained a bit of weight (this is good) - and it cost £53 to be told that she's doing well and for a couple of injections. Good job I love that place and everything they do for me.
    Did the football run, dropped the boys to watch Sunderland lose at football yet again and did my tutoring. We also did a little top up shop for the week ahead in Mr T. I'm quite determined to try and prep food properly for the week ahead and I should probably make the effort to do most of that later today. DS has another football match this morning and I've decided to do a big cooked breakfast/brunch to see us all through - I'll make sure that there are leftovers to box for a later date.
    Also got my books and tests marked so in theory I should be able to relax a bit today. We shall see - depends if I get any more sleep or not.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 14th May 17, 11:43 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,535 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Cat

Just checking in, what a bad night you had poor thing. I really hope tonight is better. It's not that long to half term either. Just to try and cheer you on.

Decluttering is an ongoing thing for everyone I think. You can never be at decluttering zero as people grow out of clothes, acquire more paperwork etc. It's just about having good habits to deal with it all.

Hope you have a good sleep.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th May 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning CCL,

Hope you managed to have a relaxed Sunday and a better nights sleep last night.
    NSD (5/15)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    I did manage a better sleep thanks, but I'm still very tired and run down. It's hard juggling so much stuff and also not sleeping very well. I really can't be bothered with work at the moment, I can barely manage to get myself up and out in the morning... Today started with my having to have a child removed from my first lesson before the late bell had even rung. I also had a disclosure during the day that I had to report onwards. And the day ended with another child walking out of my detention after school. In between that I had my usual lessons, admin stuff and then an after school revision session as the first exam is tomorrow. Got home just before 6 then had to take ds to his swimming lesson.
    Now just trying to catch up on here then I'm heading off to bed.
    Other than that I have managed 2 nsd's and I have prepared meals for tomorrow as well so that's good stuff
    On top of that dh seems a lot better today than he has done, which really makes a difference at home.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    More of the same. Still tired, still run down, still not enough hours in the day to do everything I need to. Ah well. One science exam is out of the way - 6 more to go I got into work at 8 this morning and literally didn't stop until half four this evening. And I would have stayed if I didn't have other stuff to do. There had been a problem with my direct debit for ds swimming lessons and I had to pop in and sort it out. I was also meant to be taking 2 cats to the vet for annual vaccinations tonight but didn't have time. So I rang the vet to cancel and I was offered a home visit tomorrow for them. DH should be home and able to do it, which will be one less thing for me to fret about. Which will be double good because it's parents evening tomorrow which also means that I will not be home much before 7pm I don't know who thought a May parents evening was a good idea but it really isn't.
    Other than that - a little bit of tv and crochet time but not much. I just feel so very tired and run down at the moment. Only 8 more school get ups.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

Left for work at 7.30am. Got in 7.30 pm, with a headache.
    Back tomorrow xxx
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 17th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 7,791 Thanks
    Florence J
    Take care CCL
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £851.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£1854.41/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £601.75/£1001.75
    June 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4743.46
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th May 17, 11:29 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,535 Thanks
    Bobarella

Left for work at 7.30am. Got in 7.30 pm, with a headache.
    Back tomorrow xxx
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Gosh it all sounds so full on. Hope the weekend will be quieter?

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    At least I don't have a headache tonight, and I left work at 4pm so I was home and had my feet up by half five. Had to come via Mr T because someone (dh and dd) keeps using shedloads of milk and not thinking that we might need any more in. I also needed cat food and a few veggies. Paid in cash to keep the cost down as there are still 2 weeks until payday and I am broke.
    Got home, put a load of washing in, washed the dishes, made dinner, hoovered right through and up the stairs and got dd to feed the cats. Now I'm refusing to do anything school related for the rest of the evening. I'm actually just going to crochet - so there. And hopefully be in bed by 9pm.
    I was late yesterday because it was parents evening, and I was very busy. Non stop for over 3 hours seeing parents. Thankfully it's over for a few weeks at least. I don't know whose bright idea it was to put parents evening in the middle of exam season and straight after Ofsted. Just realised I'm repeating myself - sorry I felt awful when I woke up this morning at 5am and couldn't get back to sleep. I don't know if it's because I'm tired and so busy but I don't feel as positive about work as I have done since Christmas. I'm starting to get a bit anxious and worried about anything and everything and I can see lots of problems with no solutions... On the plus side though, it was the first chemistry exam today and the vast majority of my students thought it was a good paper. Fingers crossed that the next 2 are just as good for them.
    Not much else to report other than relief that ds's football training has been cancelled and I can relax for a couple of hours before bed.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 20th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Gawd I am so tired that you wouldn't believe. Everything has gotten a bit much today and I've been randomly tearful and upset about anything and everything. I'm not in a frame of mind for getting anything much done although I have been really busy.
    As I mentioned on Thursday I'm starting to lose a bit of my positivity and hope about work. Yesterday was long and tough and I can't be bothered because I'm tired. I went straight home after school yesterday (brought myself 50 books to mark as well) and went out for dinner last night with the kids. My cousin got married in Mauritius a couple of weeks ago and there was a big family meal last night, which was lovely. However, I'm not used to eating a lot of food late into the evening and I didn't sleep very well afterwards. I kept waking up during the night feeling rubbish. Round 2 of the celebrations is tonight - like a wedding evening do, and I'm meant to be going, but dh is really unwell today (hangover plus depression = no good) plus ds is getting sick as well. So I've passed on my apologies and am planning an early night with ds to see if we can get a decent night of rest.
    I've been quite non stop today - minimal housework, a teeny top up shop and my tutoring, as well as ds football run this afternoon. His team got an utter thrashing 8-0 and he was very tearful about the whole thing, that made me miserable about the whole thing and I felt all sad for ages.
    I've made a good start on my exam marking - not as much as I would like to have done but a start anyway. I think my best plan is for a decent night tonight and hopefully a good, fresh start tomorrow.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 7,791 Thanks
    Florence J
    Oh CCL

I'm so sorry things are tough at the moment.

I hope things pick up.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £851.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£1854.41/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £601.75/£1001.75
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th May 17, 10:11 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,535 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi Cat

I'm not surprised you are losing your positivity under the strain of your workload and home life. That's normal. You aren't an endless source of energy and it sounds like you are very much running on empty at the moment.

Don't judge yourself based on how you feel when you are clearly exhausted.

Bob

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 21st May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks so much Flo and Bob - I'm aware my diary is a miserable place at the moment and I'm just moaning about anything and everything so it's nice to know I've not scared everyone off.
    It's good news and bad news this morning. Good news is that I was in bed and asleep early last night and I slept right through till 6am this morning. Not so good news is that I still feel exhausted now I'm up, plus ds has kindly shared his sore throat and snotty nose with me. He is loaded with cold and I feel a bit rough. I've had 2 cups of tea though and feeling ok so far. I've done 3 hours of school and exam work this morning although the big pile of book marking is still in the car. I'll do more of that later though.
    I was planning a pyjama day, but ds has asked for some batteries for a camera he found last night so I promised I'd take him out for those. It would have been a nice little walk if we weren't both ill but I think I'll admit defeat and take the car - plus it'll be done quicker than if we walked.
    There's a lot of football on telly today so I feel as though that day has been mapped out. I crochet while the boys watch telly, then I mark books while the boys watch telly, then I crochet while the boys watch telly and so on. This is assuming that dh gets out of bed today of course - you just never know. However, I did start watching 3 girls this morning while I was the only one up. I've had to switch off now the kids are up but am keen to see the rest of it at some point.
    I also need to do a bit of cooking and a bit of relaxing. I won't have much time for that in the coming weeks...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    UGH! My health went rapidly downhill during the day yesterday. I ended up in bed by 7pm, aching from head to foot, and I've developed a strange looking rash on my arm from out of nowhere. It looks like sunburn - and it's hot to the touch as well. I've had suggestions from scarlet fever to cellulitis to an allergy to mumps. It's still there now (24 hours later) and not getting any worse, but not getting any smaller either. I'm also still quite snotty, run down and tired, so I suspect that it's probably something viral and if I get some proper r&r then I might feel better. Work is tough but I don't feel as though I can take time off at the moment. I'm not well, but not poorly enough to have a day off either. And it's nearly half term so just 4 more days to get through.
    Still, on the positive side - I've marked all of my books up to date so can have the night off on that front. DS has talked me into KFC for dinner after swimming tonight as we have a 15% off voucher and it's one less thing to do. Plus his new swimming class is half an hour earlier than last time round so we'll be home earlier than last time.
    DD has done a bit of housework (wish I could get dh and ds to do the same) so that's nice. All that remains is for me to crochet and get an early night (hopefully).
    Things are getting a bit tough with dh again - we're both too tired and stressed to make much of an effort with each other. I'm sure he has his own opinion, but mine is that it's him that has really stopped making much of an effort. He's staying up late and getting up too late in the day to do anything - and missing out on time with both me and the kids. I'm sure he sees plenty of issues with me at the moment, but the difference is that I keep talking and letting people know I'll ride through feeling bad as I always do. He gets withdrawn and appears moody (whether he is or not I don't know) so that's tough because I can't deal with that very well... Especially when I'm struggling myself. I keep thinking I'll just tell him, but then I worry that I will make him feel worse. I wish I could get him to help himself a bit...
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 22nd May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 7,791 Thanks
    Florence J
    I'm sorry to hear you are unwell CCL and that things are a bit tough with DH.

You mentioned on my diary that I sound a bit like how DH gets. I can't speak for how DH feels or how he deals with things, but I get withdrawn when I'm down and it certainly could be reasonably interpreted as being 'moody'. For me though when I am in those states it is a case of I have become so consumed by my bad thoughts that communicating is near impossible.

I think you put up with an awful lot and you do so much for your family. You remind me of my poor suffering OH and because I speak about MSE forum all the time to him I once said 'Are you sure you're not writing under the name CCL?'
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd May 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey CCL, just catching up. Hope you're feeling better. Remember, not long to go till you're finished up.
    NSD (5/15)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,422Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin