Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,369Posts
    • 28,913Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 30
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

I needed to update my laptop tonight. It has taken 2 hours and it still isn't working properly. Feeling a bit pittled off to be honest.
    Not much else to report other than being tired and grumpy - although today was definitely much better than yesterday.
    Off to try and catch up.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 10,454 Posts
    • 69,667 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sorry to hear about the redundancies too Cat. Glad you aren't involved in them of course.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Another day closer to the weekend
    There really isn't much to report here today other than we have a load of staff absent in the department, which is making things quite stressful at the moment. I had loads of practical planned and the technician is off Ah well.
    Better night of sleep here as well, and no headache (so far) today either. Last time that happened I had a day of shocking behaviour from my classes but I'm hoping for the best this time round.
    Skint thanks to DD massive phone bill and car tyre repair bill so today will have to be a nsd. However, I have really lost track of the moneysaving this month - I need to get back on the wagon.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    Almost made it to the weekend. Just one set of books between me and another free weekend of no school work (keep fingers crossed for me that I get them done before ds catches up with me tonight).
    I'm coming on properly later to report in. Not that there's anything to report - I am still skint and boring.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I did have the best of intentions of getting back on here last night but was just completely knackered when I got home last night. I got straight on with book marking them and ds only had to wait for me to do 5 so we left work at just after 4pm, with no weekend work.
    By the time I got home I was just exhausted. We had leftovers for dinner and then I settled on the sofa and dozed off in between crocheting my latest blanket.
    I ended up just staying on the sofa all night and was quite restless. Kept waking up with cramp in my legs and a bit of a snotty nose. Then woken at half 8 by ds - I have a really sore throat and earache. Thankfully my trainer is away this weekend so I didn't have to be up and out. On top of that ds football match has been rearranged so I don't have to go out for that either. Only plans for the day are tutoring later on while the boys are out watching Sunderland lose at football. Hopefully I'll have had enough paracetamol and fluids to get through for a couple of hours.
    Other than that I need to get back into making a to-do list for stuff. Minimal housework. And plenty of r&r.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Bestie has just phoned - she's coming round with Costalot coffee to try and make me feel a bit better.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 10,454 Posts
    • 69,667 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Bestie has just phoned - she's coming round with Costalot coffee to try and make me feel a bit better.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Officially green with envy

• sidsmum
    • By sidsmum 18th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    sidsmum
    Ugh to sleepovers!!!
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Now they are something I failed to experience, for myself or my children or grandchildren.
    I am sure my life is less rich because of that
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well today has been a challenge. On top of feeling ill, ds has had one of the worst days he's had in months behaviour wise. He's up in his room at the moment, where he's been since we got in. Without iPad and without pocket money, and without friends. We're going for a fresh start tomorrow - but I could have done without that.
    Costalots was gorgeous, as always.
    Other than that, tutoring and £50 shopping at Mr T - made a to-do list and stuck to it so hoping this is me getting back on it.
    15 rows plus the border of my blanket to do so really hoping to finish that this weekend.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 18th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hope the head is better today.

Be sure to keep on drinking water. It's annoying though as I find I end up going to the loo more often, but needs must. Remember up to 65% of our body is water!
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    You've just reminded me of something Speky, I was once reading a book about following your goals and it came to the inevitable 'what if people laugh at me?' worry and the book said 'Remember people are 65% water, that's like being laughed at by a bath tub!'
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£94.58) £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253 Wombling free 2017 = £1982.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3118.08/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1146.96/1146.96
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4025
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Mar 17, 9:17 PM
    • 10,454 Posts
    • 69,667 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well today has been a challenge. On top of feeling ill, ds has had one of the worst days he's had in months behaviour wise. He's up in his room at the moment, where he's been since we got in. Without iPad and without pocket money, and without friends. We're going for a fresh start tomorrow - but I could have done without that.
    Costalots was gorgeous, as always.
    Other than that, tutoring and £50 shopping at Mr T - made a to-do list and stuck to it so hoping this is me getting back on it.
    15 rows plus the border of my blanket to do so really hoping to finish that this weekend.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Kids!

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    DS and I are going for a fresh start this morning. He went into my bed with his dad to watch Match of the Day last night and ended up falling asleep in there so I just left him and went to sleep on the sofa. I woke up at 3am and just couldn't get back over to sleep again - it was almost 5am when I dozed over. I was up for the day by 7am and figured I might as well get some stuff done while I felt up to it.
    Put a load of washing in, hoovered right through and mopped in the kitchen and bathroom. Sorted out the clean washing to go away. I am off out today to see a friend who I used to work with. She left at the end of school year 2014 and I've only seen her a couple of times since. It's a shame because we used to be really close but I suppose these things happen when lives move in different directions. She's invited me to her new house for afternoon tea as an early birthday present. She also let me into the secret that she sneaked off and got married over February half term - and I'm thrilled about it. I will need to take her and her dw a present though. Can't just rock up, eat their food and come home. I will get them some flowers and a bottle of prosecco I think - that should do. Also an afternoon on my own. Which, much as I love my kids, is going to be good fun I hope.
    I'll check back in later - have a good day everyone
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 19th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hope you're enjoying your Sunday, Cat. Am very jealous of your friend who snuck off to get married. That's how I plan to do it. (If I ever find some poor soul to marry me).
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $6,000 / $10,000
    Flooring Renovation Fund $2122 /$5000
    Kitchen Renovation Fund $0 / $8000
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 19th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 22,479 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Hope you have a fab time with your friend and her DW.

I am another who snuck off to get married, only people who knew were my bestie from school and my DH's best friend who were our witnesses. Oh yeah, my hairdresser knew as she did my hair in the morning.
    Was like secret squirrel at the hairdressers, DH was waiting round the corner and when my hair was done I rung him and he drove right up to the salon and I jumped in so no one could see me.
    Got married at registry office, took witnesses plus of course DS out for a meal and then in the evening we had arranged to take our parents out for a meal (well DH took his mother and her first husband as DH's dad died years before) and then we announced what we had done!!

It was exactly the wedding I wanted and I wouldn't have changed it for anything.

We have had some ups and downs but now been married for 16 years.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Oh I've had a lovely afternoon. The afternoon tea turned out to be a real surprise with some other people there as well and it was lovely. As tends to happen with good friends it was almost as though we'd never been apart from each other. She's doing so well now, and I'm really pleased for her that she fell in love, got married and moved house and is so settled. If you'd asked me 3 years ago if I could see her married, living on a farm and keeping goats I would have laughed in your face. But it's great to see her so happy in what she's doing. She's also just about to be promoted to Head of Department at her school and has asked me if I would consider coming to work for her. Something for me to think about for sure...
    Also have finished my blanket minus sewing the ends in and doing a border - I'd like to get that done tonight but one of the cats has gone to sleep on it so I might have a fight there...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Gosh, I am neglecting my mse duties this week. Real life has been utterly manic and completely hectic and I am struggling a bit to fit everything in. As it is at the moment I have about 5 spare minutes so I thought I'd get on and say a quick hello.
    Didn't get on here Monday after work because it was ds swimming night and then I was just shattered. I did, however, manage to get my latest blanket finished. Just need to get ds to model it for me so I can take a couple of photos. I'm now also close to being finished with a baby blanket I'm making for a friend. Which is a good job as baby will be here in just a few weeks.
    Yesterday was a full teaching day, utterly manic, followed by marking and then ds football training. It was after 8pm when I got home last night and I was pretty much straight off to bed. Unfortunately I'm still not sleeping well and it's starting to affect me a bit. I'm averaging about 6 hours a night over 5 or 6 sessions, which isn't great. I'm not sure why because I'm still doing fine at work and feeling ok. It's just busy - I wish I could go to sleep, get 6 solid hours and I would be really happy.
    Today I have a meeting with the Head. If that was the old Head I would be in bits about it, but I'm really ok about this one so I'm happy enough. Hopefully it's all good news to come.
    I will try and get on later but have just had a load of marking given to me so I will get straight on with it.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 22nd Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 13,526 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hope your meeting with the head goes well - seems like you share the same thoughts and values about the school so all sounds very positive anyway CCL
    £250/3000 OH BC(91.66% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £250/31010.23 (99.19% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £2221.94) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,309.18/14,539.71
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone
    I'm just home from parents evening - so another full day of school, followed by marking, followed by parents evening. Now getting home to the shocking news in London. Sad days.
    Didn't get my meeting with the Head today after all - he asked if we could postpone until tomorrow so it'll happen then. I'm secretly quite pleased because as I've already mentioned I am completely snowed under at the moment.
    It's been a bit non stop, but I'm home, hoovered, dishes done, washing on and I've had to relent and put the heating on. I'm absolutely freezing.
    I'm off to catch up on here, and then getting straight on with my friend's baby blanket.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 23rd Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening
    I'm cold and tired tonight. It feels like winter again here and I've had to put the heating on. Another mad busy day at work and not much time to get anything done. I have a free on Thursday but I had my meeting with the Head and that took up most of the hour.
    It was a good meeting, he's a nice guy and I really like him. No real progress to report but at least I feel valued where I work now. Just a bit of a chat about the situation in the department at the moment (not good) and how to move forward.
    Had a really good lesson with my Year 11 class today as well, which makes up for a load of the rubbish I've had to deal with for the rest of the week. Still didn't get out of work until after 5 and I succumbed to getting KFC for the kids because I just couldn't be bothered with anything else tonigiht. I had leftovers from the freezer.
    I cant explain how I'm feeling now - mentally pretty good, but physically exhausted. It's strange. I still feel boring and like I have nothing to report...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 24th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well, I've made it to Friday but blimming heck this has been a cruddy week. Good job my mental health is ok at the moment because I'm physically shattered. Night time sleep is just not happening for some reason and I always seem to be busy. There's lots going on at work at the moment and behaviour of the kids there has been particularly bad this week. Couple that with the ASBO teenagers we have hanging round the street at the moment and I really cannot be bothered. I've just had to walk my 8yo ds to his friend's house in the next street because there's a gang of teenage boys on bikes having a go at him. Honestly - I get to deal with them all day and then all night as well.
    Other than that, this evening's plans are an early night because I have a busy weekend ahead. Managed to get away without bringing any work home, but I have training, tutoring and ds football as usual tomorrow, plus my early birthday night out with bestie, which I am looking forward to but it will be busy. Then obviously Sunday is Mother's Day, and I've arranged to see my mam but dh wants to take us all out later as well. GAD! I will need a rest somewhere before work begins again on Monday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,704Users online

Martin's Twitter