Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,374Posts
    • 28,943Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 29
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's amazing how just spending time with your pets can cheer you up. The ultimate pick-me-up. Couple that with a hobby then I'm sure you'll feel better soon.

Hope todays a good day and TGIF!!!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    TGIF for sure... I'm absolutely shattered. This week has been another busy one for definite and I feel like I'm doing loads but getting absolutely nothing done. I have planned my work for next week and I now just need to get a few books marked and all will be happy at this end.
    DS woke me up at 3.40 this morning and I've not managed to get back to sleep so I'm sure that you can imagine how I'm feeling at the moment. I have another 3 lessons to teach today as well so home time feels like a long time away.
    Thanks for the kind words about the interview - I was really pleased to get such positive feedback - I'm crossing my fingers that something good comes out of it for the future.
    Speky - I felt like ringing in sick this morning - I feel so dodgy... 'Hello - I can't come in today. There's a cat sitting on my knee and I can't possibly move her'. I love my cuddles with the cats.
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead

Not sure how well that would have went down.

Hope you get a good sleep tonight.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Gawd - it's nearly 3pm on a Saturday and this is the first time I've sat down since 7am. So much for a relaxing weekend.
    It's all good though - I got 2 sets of books marked before I came home yesterday so have managed to avoid weekend schoolwork for another week Thing is, Saturday seems to have turned into another full on day.
    Got up at ten to seven this morning after a night on the sofa (pre arranged so that I wouldn't be disturbed) and went to my training session. Tyre pressure warning light came on the car again so I went to Mr S to check - same tyre that was nearly flat a couple of weeks ago. So I pumped it up - then went into Mr S and did a quick (!) £70 grocery shop for the week ahead. Got home, took ds and went to visit bestie for cuppa and natter for a couple of hours before coming back to pick up dh and take ds to football. Driving down the road, dh pulls in saying we have a stone in a tyre somewhere because he can hear it. Sounded like front drivers side - he got out to check and there's a giant bolt embedded in the tyre. This is not the tyre I've had to reinflate over the past couple of weeks. So I drop the boys at football and then off to my local tyre place to get it looked at. Good news - tyre man can repair the front tyre. Ask him to check dodgy tyre as well while I'm there. Screw embedded in that as well, but not fixable. Fixed within half an hour at a cost of £98
    Got back to football in time to fill out all of the paperwork and do my secretarial duties, and in plenty of time to see ds team lose 6-0. They must be taking lessons from Sunderland.
    Got home, made lunch and in about 15 minutes I've got to go to my tutoring session. I'll be home by about half past five so will pretty much feel as I do when I've done a full day at work.
    This evening will be crochet and tv.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Also, within the past 24 hours - 3 separate people have commented on how much more positive I seem with work. I had no idea at all how much the last Head was getting me down until this change has happened. The job certainly hasn't gotten any less difficult but I feel way less stressed than I have done for the past 10 years or so. We have some tough times coming up but I feel as though I can face it with a bit more positivity and confidence than I've had for ages.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 11th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Boo on the tyre and bad night's sleep, but great on the positivity comments.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Sallyforth
    • By Sallyforth 12th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Sallyforth
    Reading your diary every evening or morning if I've conked out early. Sorry to hear about the job but totally agree with everyone else that it was meant to be. The whole experience will help you in future when something better comes up. Well, better disturb my 3 furry feline friends and get up!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Wow Sally, I hope that my diary is helping you to get to sleep I haven't read back through it but I can't imagine that it's that interesting...
    So, I've woken up this morning, very early and very tired. DS had a friend over to stay last night and they were awake late and then up just after 6am this morning. I dozed over on the sofa for an hour but am feeling quite rough.
    Whilst I'm not stressed out or worried, I am tired today - and I feel quite boring. Bored, bored and boring. I know that life just has its ups and downs sometimes and I should be grateful for a quiet time in my life. But I don't feel as though I'm doing much at the minute that's interesting. Definitely busy, but my whole life revolves around work, housework, kids clubs and a bit of crochet. Hardly the high life - but the worst thing is - I'm sitting here moaning about being bored and I don't even want an eventful or exciting life. What am I like? I'm happy enough with a quiet evening with the cats, doing some crochet. And I'm really happy that work is ok at the moment - so what on earth am I feeling so bored about? Must be that 40 feeling sneaking up on me with less than 3 weeks to go.
    I'm off to visit my mam in a couple of hours for a catch up and a free feed. That will be nice. Other than that, guess what I'm doing today? That's right, crochet. And hoping for no big or costly events in life that require me to find another £100 out of nowhere. Fingers firmly crossed. There's actually a lot to be said for a boring, quiet life.
    Have a good day all.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 13th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Ugh to sleepovers!!!

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - I suppose life is about getting that balance. It's easy to beat yourself up when you see other people having such exciting lives, squeezing in so much, or earning much more.

I heard the other day of a 17 year old who sold his business for £3million!!! Often think, "why didn't I think of that!!".

As you say, life is ups and downs. For what it's worth, from an outside looking in, you've a lot of positives
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon everyone
    Just a quick check in because we all know now that Monday is swimming night, and on top of that we need to go to ds parents evening at school before then. So, chances of my being online later are slim to non existent.
    Work has been completely non stop today. I had a headache by the time I arrived here and I haven't managed to shift it. I think I might need to start cutting back on sugar and carbs in case that is affecting me but I'm also trying my best to stay hydrated as well. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are taking the edge off it but it's still niggling. Early night ahead.
    Other than that, not much else to report. I'm over my general boredom and guilt with being bored and am back to embracing the quiet life again. I just want to get on with my usual stuff. And you're right Speky - I have way more positives in my life at the moment so I'm just going with it.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hope the head is better today.

Be sure to keep on drinking water. It's annoying though as I find I end up going to the loo more often, but needs must. Remember up to 65% of our body is water!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Woke up this morning headache free The day hasn't gone quite so well so far though. Kids aren't behaving well at school and I'm finding it more than a bit frustrating. These kids are less than 2 months away from their first GCSE and still finding it most amusing to throw glue at each other.
    Had an unexpectedly lovely evening last night - I'd forgotten that it was ds parents evening, but made it in time for my appointment. He got such a good report - he's doing brilliantly and I couldn't be more proud of him. As a treat he asked if he could have KFC for dinner, so I gave that the ok for a bit of a one off. Got home to a scarily tidy house and all the dishes washed, then dd broke the news to me that she'd accidentally run up an £80 phone bill for the past month I remember doing the same thing with my mam when I was a kid so I'm just sucking it up - we've discussed learning lessons and hopefully it won't happen again. She's aware that there will be consequences if it does.
    DS also decided he didn't fancy swimming last night, so I got a night off. There was no housework to do as guilty dd had done it all so I got a night of crochet and was in bed and asleep by half ten. Lovely.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 14th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Haha perhaps you need to let DD run up the bill more often :rofl: although maybe not to the tune of £88

I used to run our internet bill up terribly when I was in high school. My poor parents
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $6,000 / $10,000
    Flooring Renovation Fund $2400/$5000
    Kitchen Renovation Fund $0 / $8000
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    OK - I'm now officially having one of those days where I wish I hadn't bothered...
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 14th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 13,770 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hope you're ok CCL

Excellent news about DSs report though
    £150/3000 OH BC(95% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £150/31010.23 (99.51% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £3191.73) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,935.81/14,539.71
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 14th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 22,843 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Oh no CCL - is it the kids at school?

We have a cap on DD's phone. DH pays the contract and once her data has gone then she has to use home wifi and when out and about it's tough. She has loads of minutes and texts so can still contact us.

For the first few months she asked for extra data but now she has stopped and knows that when its gone it really has gone.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 14th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well done to DS that's really great

Sorry to hear you are stuck with the £80 bill. Was that landline or mobile?

• Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 15th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 10,448 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Great news about ds' parents evening.

Sorry to hear about dd's mobile phone bill. I think she was very brave telling you as it would have been less scary to bury her head in the sand, no doubt leading to much bigger problems in the future. Does she have any money of her own she could contribute towards the cost?

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Mar 17, 3:31 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi All
    I'm writing from my phone today in a little gap between finishing school and starting a meeting.
    This week is officially a very tough week at work. The behaviour of the little darlings is rubbish at best, and I'm struggling a bit with bad attitude and lack of learning (and that's just me)
    Feels really busy but I'm not getting much done as usual.
    Not much else to report. DD confessed about her mobile bill to me. She'd used all of her minutes plus another 4 hours and thought it was all wifi. I don't think it'll happen again because she was genuinely mortified...
    Other than that, life ticks on. Crochet, telly, housework, schoolwork and trying to sleep...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter