Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 21st Jul 16, 5:13 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 697Thanks
    evkizzy
    Vegan, Bipolar and in Debt.
    • 21st Jul 16, 5:13 PM
    Vegan, Bipolar and in Debt. 21st Jul 16 at 5:13 PM
    Hello to all who didn’t immediately judge me and hate the title of this thread!

There are a lot of regular folk on these diaries and people who are in difficult employment/family/illness situations but as a fairly new member of this forum I have seen a gap. I am a vegan which means a lot of the branded products on offer are unsuitable for my lifestyle and I figured that by starting this diary I can open up a few eyes on more vegan/vegetarian specific offers from less well known retailers. I don’t know.

I’m Evy (Evkizzy) and I’m self employed (read mostly unemployed with lots of odd jobs that I do) and I was diagnosed with Bipolar II in 2010. This illness is not as simple as people think. I’m not crazy happy or severely depressed. I’m a weird mix but for the most part I’m pretty ordinary. I am sometimes hyper but frustrated or lethargic and unable to make sensible decisions for myself which is one of the causes of me getting into silly debt. I also find that I have a lot of more older friends so when we go out I am an equal despite not being on anywhere near equal salaries. They understand and sometimes buy me drinks or treat me to dinner but I keep up where I can.

I have a partner who is a great support and loves that I am creative (an artist and musician) and that I do a lot of work to make money that is non -committal so that I can manage my bipolar without getting overwhelmed all the time. We work really well together as a couple both romantically, supportively and financially as my SO has a good job and we agreed a percentage earnings system so whatever we earn, we work out the percentage and that’s how much we each contribute to the rent/bills/etc. except for gifts (he buys for his family and I buy for mine) and dates (he often pays but I make sure I take him out every now and then or treat him to free things like fancy dinners at home massages etc.)I’m paying about 20% of household costs as I only get working tax credits and a small amount of income from my jobs as an illustrator, life model and a PA (read private chef).

We discussed buying a house since we moved in together just over 3 years ago but that isn’t even slightly realistic given that I have debts and, because of our percentage systems, mean that he doesn’t have much disposable income for saving left at the end of the month. He has a tiny debt on a credit card (a few hundred which is manageable for him as he only uses his card for big purchases (gig tickets and white goods which I pay half for so I am a real joint owner). To even begin to save we first have to get out of debt ("we" meaning mainly ‘me'). So lets break it down a bit.

I have 2 credit cards and a loan. The loan was opened just over a year ago and it will be paid off in November/ December 2016. I am paying £200 p/m for this. My biggest issue is my credit cards. I have one at £2407.41 and another at £2029.34 (correct on 21/07/16). Both at 18.9% APR. I plan to pay an extra £100p/m to each card once my loan is payed off.

I am 27 years old and will be 30 on the 26th October 2018. My plan is to be 100% debt free by then. It is do-able but I need to make sure I have some (cheap) fun along the way so I don’t go out of my mind. Here we go!!!!
    Last edited by evkizzy; 21-07-2016 at 5:21 PM.
Page 6
    • evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 14th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    evkizzy
    Did life modelling on Wednesday night for £20, made £10 selling leftovers this week, checked my Checkout Smart balance and I’m really close to cashing out so I’ll be buying Method wood floor cleaner (Usually £4) on SO for £3 at Morrison’s, to claim £2 CB through CSnap and CSmart making it £1 to me and possible to withdraw my (desperately needed) £20.
    Soooo... I’ve £100 towards my £200 loan payment due on 10th Nov. I need to focus as much as possible to get more than I need so I’m prepared for the Dec and Jan payments. I’m really anxious about not having any real income so I’m scrapping by with super low cost dinners (mainly filling up on rice and pasta dishes). Thank goodness for past me stockpiling rice and grains and UHT Alpro milks.

Looks like there will be no birthday money to expect as my family are also struggling and can’t even afford to come out for a meal. I even have a voucher so mine (£20 of a £50 spend) would be free.
    And my SO’s family gave me 50 euros (birthday money) for my holiday in September.
    Never mind.

Just ugh.
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,455 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hang on in there - you're doing great.
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 19th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    evkizzy
    My dad has FINALLY started paying me back for what he owes me. £120 over the last 2 weeks which I used some to buy food shopping, some towards my loan and the rest has gone on CCs (where it's supposed to go).

Had a crazy big house clearence and clean this weekend. We took bags of old shoes to be recycled, a full car load of stuff that I've not been able to sell to the charity shop and while we were out I got my fringe trimmed (for free) and collect my engagement ring which had been resized (for free).
    In sorting through my study (work and junk room) I found my old purse which I thought I'd lost for good. There was no money inside but all my store loyalty cards and stamped loyalty cards for coffee and meals were in there too. So that helps with my extreme couponing and I bought a "business card" wallet aka a coupon holder for £1 in the back of some random birthday card shop so now my coupons are all together in used by date order.

I started a fb page to let people know about couponong and cashback with a view to highlight the best offers that apply to vegans. Waste of time?
    Nope. I used my QuidoCo abd TopCashback referral links to get people to sign up and as long as they use it I'll be paid something for my help. (I've had one sign up so far with a potential £8 to gain).

I'm also continuing to use the bartering system. I'm teaching and helping with business plan writing for a local community group and in exchange they have agreed to completely sort out my garden (which I've been calling my wildlife sanctuary).

Looking forward to seeing Amanda Palmer in Liverpool on Sunday (early birthday present from SO) the Halloween Supper Club on 28th.

Though, I have to admit I'm getting anxiety attacks again over basically nothing. Like seeing people that I feel I've let down. I've been looking at oaterns in my moods (BP habit) and belive it could be possible that a lot of how I'vevbeen feeling over the last 3 years could be a side effect of my Nexplanon (contraceptive implant). I'm due to get it replaced this week vut instead I'm getting it totally removed and will see if I return to "normal" without extra hormones flooding my system. Either it will help or a need a psych consult.

How's your week been?
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 20th Oct 16, 12:48 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Following
    Hi Evy

Following as also vegan and there arent many others on here unless you follow the vegan old style thread I think it is. I think I am subscribedto that but not 100%.I have anxiety and depression in mild amounts so can sympathise with you,though no idea how you cope when things are bad. If its any help have a look at the Old Style board if nobody has suggested it already, and also for help or advise or just a chinwag re MH there is a Vegan Mental Health group on F/B.

Wish you all the luck in the world.
    GC 28/8/16 - 31/12/16 £807.64/£1,458

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 20th Oct 16, 1:47 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Ugh! Life is throwing everything itís got at me at the moment.

Went to the bank to see if they could figure out a way to reduce interest on CCs as Iím paying more interest than payments atm and Iím not eligible for other cards so balance transfers are out of the window. That ended in my crying and feeling helpless... Then I got a balance sheet workbook thing to work through then return for another meeting to see what can be done...

I went home and found my poor baby (cat) Minky got hit by a car today. He has deep cuts and bruises all over his face, a bloodshot eye, smashed teeth and splintered claws and bloody paws.
    So aside from huge emotional distress, mainly on my part, and severe physical pain, on his, I was almost crippled by a vet bill of £70!!!

Either Karma has got in for me or..... well, I have no reason why all this bad stuff is happening all at once.

My mental health along with my healthy eating has gone out the window this past week... think I need to surround myself with IRL lovely people for hugs. Gosh, I could use them right now. think Iíll try and take the rest of the month off and start again fresh in September.

Iím feeling overwhelmed and maybe taking some recharge time will help.... maybe?

Over and out...for now.
    Originally posted by evkizzy
    Omg I hope I get further down your diary to find your cat is recovered. Ne er rains but it pours does it. Put money aside every month if you can to cover any sos animal fund/vet bills/wormer and defleaer etc

• K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 20th Oct 16, 2:01 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Supper Club went well. I made my £10 profit (washing up fee) and we raised £80 for the fountain fund. I'm so glad that the next one isn't a fundraiser. So I can actually keep all the profits. Plus it's a Halloween special which I love as it means making everything themed! I'm carving a marrow into an alligator head and making a cajun jambalaya/gumbo (not decided yet).

I've made a few pennies from fans of my supper club through selling leftovers/readymeals. Which will help me decide how viable it'll be to start my own business in the new year.

I currently have no idea how im surviving without money. I'm constantly terrified but hopeful that I'll figure something out.
    Havent had gumbo/jambalaya whilst Vegan. Was yours for non Vegans or do you make it yourself at home too? What do you use to replicate prawns? I hate Frys prawns and funghi that imitates fish.

Sorry for several individual quotes.I dont know how to multi quote, especially whilst on my phone.

• K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 20th Oct 16, 2:12 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    My dad has FINALLY started paying me back for what he owes me. £120 over the last 2 weeks which I used some to buy food shopping, some towards my loan and the rest has gone on CCs (where it's supposed to go).

Had a crazy big house clearence and clean this weekend. We took bags of old shoes to be recycled, a full car load of stuff that I've not been able to sell to the charity shop and while we were out I got my fringe trimmed (for free) and collect my engagement ring which had been resized (for free).
    In sorting through my study (work and junk room) I found my old purse which I thought I'd lost for good. There was no money inside but all my store loyalty cards and stamped loyalty cards for coffee and meals were in there too. So that helps with my extreme couponing and I bought a "business card" wallet aka a coupon holder for £1 in the back of some random birthday card shop so now my coupons are all together in used by date order.

I started a fb page to let people know about couponong and cashback with a view to highlight the best offers that apply to vegans. Waste of time?
    Nope. I used my QuidoCo abd TopCashback referral links to get people to sign up and as long as they use it I'll be paid something for my help. (I've had one sign up so far with a potential £8 to gain).

I'm also continuing to use the bartering system. I'm teaching and helping with business plan writing for a local community group and in exchange they have agreed to completely sort out my garden (which I've been calling my wildlife sanctuary).

Looking forward to seeing Amanda Palmer in Liverpool on Sunday (early birthday present from SO) the Halloween Supper Club on 28th.

Though, I have to admit I'm getting anxiety attacks again over basically nothing. Like seeing people that I feel I've let down. I've been looking at oaterns in my moods (BP habit) and belive it could be possible that a lot of how I'vevbeen feeling over the last 3 years could be a side effect of my Nexplanon (contraceptive implant). I'm due to get it replaced this week vut instead I'm getting it totally removed and will see if I return to "normal" without extra hormones flooding my system. Either it will help or a need a psych consult.

How's your week been?
    I would definitely be interested in your Facebook couponing page. I also have trouble sleeping as y ou can tell by the time I am writing this. Good luck with implant coming out. Ive had two over the years and they sent alot of things haywire. I am completely single at the mo so also completely contraceptive free, so hormone free but not pain free once a month unofrtunately. Im going to see if I can find your page on my own on fb (snooping :-p).
    "Speak" soon

• evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 21st Oct 16, 4:42 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    evkizzy
    Wow. Thatís an intense read-through, I bet.

Putting tiny amounts of money aside for sos vet bills seems like a good idea in theory but while Iím struggling to meet payment deadlines it will have to sit on the back burner until Iím back on my feet.

Hoping the main side effect of having the implant removed is that I regain a semblance of my libido (It disappeared about a years ago along with my motivation and ability to lose weight despite eating really well. The page I made is new and called Vegan Cheapskate. Hope that helps K9s and Felines. Iíll be doing round ups of cash back apps, MSE coupons and random other discounts and frugal living things I feel are relavent to post about on there.

I canít unlock my £20 on Checkout Smart as I literally donít have the money to buy the items needed to get them for free. Ugh. life can be so cruel sometimes.

I did some voluntary work today for my co-op and after doing the accounts discovered that Iím owed at least £20.52 for item sold in their gift shops over the past 3 months. Which I will have to give straight to my SO as I still owe him £130/200 for covering my loan this month as well as £25 for upfront mobile phone costs. I got his old Samsung S2 3 years ago and it is failing to work in ways that can no longer be repaired and is no longer compatible with pst updates. It seems silly to get a new(ish) smartphone when you have no income but with it I make an average of £40 in cash back apps a month which covers the cost of the phone. Plus Iíve downloaded an app to watch an advert a day on my mobile to get £3 off the bill each month. So really Iím only paying £12 a month more that I was to have a piece of technology that actually helps save me money, right? Or have I been really stupid? I do also teach workshops from time to time on using social media and it helps if I can actually access pages while on the go. Iím worried Iíve gone beyond my means but the SO said it was a necessity. Especially as I need to keep my supper club updated with food pics and booking seats through Paypal etc. Itís also useful as now I have enough space for lots of different apps including messenger for talking to my dad (who moved to Spain earlier this year). Iím trying to rationalise it but itís too late now. Iíve signed the contract and added my life to it.

Iím really struggling with mixed episodes at the moment, including being really aggressive for no reason or bursting into tears. Everything is generally awful in my brain right now. Argued with the SO tonight as he wanted a takeaway and I said it isnít fair to allow me to have all these treats paid for by him when weíve no idea if he will need to keep some money saved up incase we canít buy food next month. It was really scary to hear myself be so verbally cruel to him. The words coming out of my mouth that were so unlike me. We didnít get a takeaway. We got in and I went straight to bed (mainly because I was so stressed I was going to be sick and partly to avoid another argument). Then when he decided to come to be 2 hours later (at 8pm) I got up, just to avoid being spoken to or even touched. Iím so physically tense. I canít seem to calm myself down. I just have to keep hoping I can get myself well so I can get myself a job.

Iím so unwell that I am blacking out and suddenly finding myself in places not knowing how I got there or what Iím doing and struggling to get the words in my brain out of my mouth.

We NEVER argue. So when we do I just freak out that he hates me and that he will realise one day that having a Bipolar wife is too much of a commitment. Sorry for such a bleak post. It started off with good intentions but I just feel like sh...
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 22nd Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Florence J
    Oh EV Kizzy

I am so sorry you are feeling like this. Sometimes it is a build up of little things that can cause great pain later on.

In regards to your SO, I will tell you something I am sadly unable to tell myself when I feel the way you do.

I have very bad days and cause my OH great trouble when my mental health takes a dive. But lets give your SO and my OH some credit. They're capable of making their own decisions, they know us, they live with us, they have been with us for a good many years.

I always worry that my OH is going to realise life would be simpler with a GF who has her mental health in check, but he loves me. He has made a decision that life is better with me, warts and all, then life without.

I say this because it will be the same for your SO. Your SO loves you, they know you. Their life is better because you are in it.

Your SO and my OH will accept the bad days because the good days are better than the bad days are bad.

I would love to know more about your facebook page so will head over to check it out.

Take care my dear. x
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £300.44/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 23rd Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Sorry you are having a rough time. Could it be the winter months exasperating your condition. Do you feel worse mood wise in the winter months? I know I sometimes don't want to leave the comfort of my bed or the house, when the weather is cold or lousy outside. I've joined your FB page as you know. My money is going to be tight at the end of the month too, as I have been on the sick the last three weeks. Obviously I will still have the same bills to pay out of a lower wage, so i will be a bit stressed I think this month also.
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 23-10-2016 at 9:39 PM.

• evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 25th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    evkizzy
    So Friday night was awful. I was hallucinating and manic and alone and unable to calm down... long depressing story short... I spent the night in A&E.

Yesterday I went to get the implant out and after a 45 min wait and a lot of questions was told that there was no one on the staff who could do it that day (after being told on the phone that I couldn't book an appointment), so it's penciled in for next week.

Then I used my cc to buy food because I had no choice. :/

I feel like my debts are drowning me and I've no strength to pull myself out.

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm supposed to be on track for my debt busting deadline but I'm just so mentally and physically exhausted that I don't feel much like celebrating.

Sorry for the sad post. Just letting you know why I've fallen off the radar lately.
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • Jox
    • By Jox 25th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Jox
    Hugs to you, I'm sorry you are having a hard time xx
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 25th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Florence J
    Oh EvKizzy,

I hope everything clears up (easier said then done).

I was thinking about my own situation today. A year ago if my OH asked me to pick up something (e.g. milk) after work, it would cause a panic in me. Because unless it was payday that day, it was very likely that i would have to put that on my CC, or rummage through my bag for change, or buy a smaller size than we needed. Often to find out if my CC still had money on it or if I had gone over I would try to buy something small, like a 40p pack of chewing gum, on a self service machine.

I can't tell you how many times I couldn't even buy that. As i had gone over my limit on my credit cards. Usually within days of paying the minimum payment.

Every time i used to make a payment by card at a till i would say 'Oh, it's a new card, it may not work as I can't remember if i've activated it yet' This was a lie. I would say this every time I bought something at a till because I was so in debt, so out of my depth, and so terrible with money that I would do a little silent prayer that the transaction would go through.

I'm not saying you are as bad with money as i was, or that you were/are as stupid with money as I was. What I am saying is the key word is WAS.

I haven't missed a debt payment all year.

I haven't been overdrawn in my bank account since January 1st.

If my OH asks me to pick up milk I can go and buy it, without putting it on a credit card or coming back empty handed because I had no money in any account and I just hadn't realised it.

Things are tough at the moment. You have so much to contend with. For people like you and me getting out of debt is a small part of the battle because we also have to take our mental health into account. We want to put the debt first, but sometimes we have to put our health first.

There is no shame in buying groceries on a CC. You need to eat!!! I memorably once bought a YS loaf of bread on a credit card as I didn't have 35p in my bank account.

To paraphrase a quote from Batman/a Mamas and Papas song, It is always darkest before dawn, but dawn is coming.

I wish you a happy birthday tomorrow. x
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 26th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,455 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You'll get there - hang on and don't give up. Lots of love to you.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,218 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thinking of you and wishing you well
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 16th Nov 16, 12:45 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    EvKizzy
    How are you dear?
    Has your group disappeared from Facebook? Cannot find it!

Hope you are well

• evkizzy
    • By evkizzy 16th Nov 16, 3:33 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    evkizzy
    Where have I been?
    Apologies for another looong absence. Iíve been in Hospital. Daylight hallucinations and full blown psychosis. My partner and I decided that it was best to remove me from social media for a while (I guess that deactivated the page). Iíve just reactivated it.

Iím getting the help I need soon. I have an appointment with the charity Mind to start a course of therapy for dealing with bipolar in everyday life (in January). I have been referred back to secondary care after 5 years of not being taken seriously that Iím struggling. Itís so frustrating sometimes to think it has to get so out of control for me to access the services I need.

Debt wise. I have a meeting set up in the next 2 weeks to get help with debt as well as being in touch with Possitive Assets (a service to help people with disabilities get back into work. At this point I just need a job.

My dad is still paying me back in tiny drips (£30 a week- most weeks). With no income Iíve been paying only the minimum on my CCs and OD. My partner has agreed That he can put £50 a month towards my loan if I can find the other £150. So far I have been cashing out swag bucks, cash back apps and given him ALL of my birthday money. So I didnít get a single present but then I didnít get into more debt.

My dad (also poor and living in Gibraltar) has paid my flights £50 return to go see him for a week over Christmas. Iíve not seen him since he moved out there in July/August? time. This way I donít have to see the rest of my family so I can get away with a tiny hamper. I bought 7x (accidentally vegan) drumsticks/refreshers/love hearts sweet tubs (89p each from Savers), a bottle of red wine (£3.60 on one Jordon Coxís tips) & a bottle of Cava (£3.50 JC tip off) which they can share on Christmas day. So my Christmas spend is at an all time low and wasnít bought on CC. I have a beard oil for my brother and an adult colouring book for my sister. Just need something around £1-2 from my other brother and sister and Iím done.

I bought my partner a really expensive birthday/anniversary/christmas gift in September so Iíll probably buy some small bits for him to open - as Itíll be our first Christmas apart in 6 years.

I think only have my best friend to buy for and weíll probably get a Groupon and go for a massage or other pamper session together in the New year.

My focus right now is doing everything I can to scrape money together for next months loan (goes out on the 10th Dec) Iím up to £30 of the £150 I need.

I got a new mobile (desperately needed and justifiable as I couldnít use my apps on old one so now Iíve access to moneysaving tools.. and signed up to Tesco Xtras which means I suffer annoying advert pop-ups on my mobile to get £3 a month off my bill to make it a reasonable and manageable £20 a month. It came with a free gift so I chose £70 to spend on Google Playstore so my partner can have that in exchange for the £65 I owe him for my half of Minkyís vet bill, being wiped. Iím literally selling everything I can live without that isnít nailed down to stay a float.

I hope you guys are well and smashing debts. Iíve missed being on here.
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Nov 16, 7:12 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,455 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hope you're doing as ok as you can be. Pleased to hear that there's lots going on progress wise as well. Good luck!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 17th Nov 16, 9:02 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Florence J
    I'm glad you're back. I was concerned. x
    • Jox
    • By Jox 18th Nov 16, 11:08 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Jox
    Missed you evkizzy, you're more organised than I am for Christmas. Take care
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,712Posts Today

7,862Users online

Martin's Twitter