Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 21st Jul 16, 11:01 AM
    • 87Posts
    • 129Thanks
    MissCreative
    MissCreative's journey to financial freedom!
    • 21st Jul 16, 11:01 AM
    MissCreative's journey to financial freedom! 21st Jul 16 at 11:01 AM
    Hello! This is my first post on my first thread as I'm hoping to have some company over the next 10-15 years whilst I pay off my mortgage!
    I know you wouldn't really expect a 25 year old to be scrimping and saving to pay off her mortgage early, but here I am!

So, some details about us and our mortgage:
    DH and I bought our first home - a little two-bedroom flat - in November 2014, just after we got married that Summer. (Just celebrated our two year anniversary! )
    Our mortgage started at £155,000. The interest rates were looking like they were going up around that time so we thought we'd get a 5 year fix - in hindsight maybe we shouldn't have, but we made the right decision with the information we had at the time, and at least we know how much we're paying each month.
    Right now we're at £144,556.01 due to normal payments of £780 a month and having overpaid £5900 so far too.
    We both work full time for about £2500 total a month, although that will be going up by a few hundred with DH's recent promotion! We also just rented out our spare room to friend who will be paying us £470 a month, which is much more than the previous part-time renter we had who was paying £200 a month.

I'm hoping to update this daily, since this is a diary after all, and let you know what's going on in the MC household I'll pop a SOA on here very soon so you can see more about how I'm looking at saving, and hopefully receive some helpful tips!

Looking forward to sharing on the forum and following lots of other's journeys
    Let's get this show on the road!

Updated goals:
    Overall:
    Be mortgage free before we're 40.

2017 goals:
    Overpay £5000 on mortgage this year - £1200 so far / 24%
    Get below £135,000 on the mortgage total - currently at £141,153.78
    Save £1000 for a lovely (hopefully all-inclusive!) holiday before September - saved £220 / 22%
    Last edited by MissCreative; 19-04-2017 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Updated goals
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Current total overpayments: £7,116.05
    Currently: £141,153.78
    Short term goal: £139,999.99 by June 17
Page 4
    • PennyJar
    • By PennyJar 8th Aug 16, 2:26 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    PennyJar
    Hi MC,

That's a really good shop - we are still spending £50 per week even with the stickers...but I have filled the freezer so should be able to spread the costs a bit over the next couple of weeks.

Pay day is so close and yet so far lol

Will feel loads better when another chunk goes into the pot.

PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive fan - thank you for changing the game!
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 9th Aug 16, 1:42 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Happy Tuesday afternoon everyone

Changed my mobile contract from £16.20 a month with O2 to £5 a month with ID Mobile.
    If only I could get DH to change his mobile bill from £40!

Also, the energy switch that should start on 25th August with Scottish Power will save us over £30 a month

Need to take some photos of items to put on Gumtree tonight. I'm going to try and sell 2 pairs of Sony TV 3D glasses, a fitbit and bands, a giant clock, a rice cooker and a curtain rail. Hoping to make around £80 or so from that
    Anything we make will most likely go into the holiday pot as we've been looking at holidays in March 2017 - either skiing in France or visiting family friends in Dubai (I'm all for Dubai!).
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 10th Aug 16, 1:02 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Still waiting for my old number to come across to my new sim card so that's annoying, but hopefully it will be completed by this evening.

Spent a few pounds on a top up shop yesterday as we were in the middle of cooking dinner and discovered we had no pasta left! DH got some eggs and flour as well so he could have crepes this morning

Had a nice swim this morning at the gym, and I'm really looking forward to carb-heavy leftovers for lunch

DH was off to the shops bright and early this morning to pick up No Man's Sky (PS4 game), which he hasn't stopped talking about for the last 3 months or more. I'm not 100% I didn't marry a 15 year old
    He got the money for the game for his birthday so he won't have to spend any of his personal budget today.
    I should be having a NSD myself
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 16th Aug 16, 11:17 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Weekly shop
    Had a lovely girl's weekend and didn't go over my £50 budget (that included all meals, taxis, drinks, activities etc) so did food shopping with DH yesterday after work and had a mini meal prepping session.

Shopping included:
    1 courgette
    Spring onions
    3 cooking apples
    1 broccoli
    Small piece of fresh ginger
    3 peppers
    Heck chicken sausages
    2 pots of houmous
    Soy milk
    Frozen green beans
    4 frozen tikka chicken breasts
    Basmati rice
    1 bottle of sparkling water
    Marmite
    Orange juice
    Pitta breads
    Pasta

That all came to just over £20. Our friend is going to pay us for 3 meals this week, so that will be £7.50 off the total shop, making it more like £12.50
    What's annoying is DH's marmite cost £4.50 - almost a a quarter of the total!

We have my sister and her boyfriend visiting this weekend so we'll be having a few meals out.

This week's meals are:
    Yesterday: Leftover chickpea and vegetable curry, and rhubarb and apple crumble with ice cream
    Tuesday: toast/protein ice cream -- houmous, pittas and tomatoes/chicken sausages, sweet potato, broccoli and green beans -- creme fraiche pasta, and rhubarb and apple crumble with ice cream
    Wednesday: toast/protein ice cream -- houmous, pittas and tomatoes/chicken sausages, sweet potato, broccoli and green beans -- meatballs and pasta/tofu in a peanut sauce with vegetables
    Thursday: toast/protein ice cream -- houmous, pittas and tomatoes/leftover tofu and vegetables -- pizza night
    Friday: toast/protein ice cream -- tuna sandwich and crisps/leftover tofu and vegetables -- BBQ pork and pineapple fried rice
    Saturday: toast/protein ice cream -- burrito bowl from Tortilla -- ???
    Sunday: toast/protein ice cream -- ??? -- spaghetti bolognese from the freezer

Snacks this week for DH are fruit and crisps, and I have tikka chicken breasts, tuna with pesto and mini soreen loaves

(Also, I can't wait for my burrito bowl from Tortilla! It's one of my favourite meals in the world!)
    Last edited by MissCreative; 16-08-2016 at 3:08 PM.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 16th Aug 16, 7:26 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Burrito bowl sounds amazing. Is that a restaurant?
    • PennyJar
    • By PennyJar 16th Aug 16, 9:51 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    PennyJar
    Hi MC,

Lovely meal plan - I'd pay £2.50 a meal for sure.

PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive fan - thank you for changing the game!
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 17th Aug 16, 11:27 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Thanks PennyJar
    Sometimes we charge only £2 if it's a pretty cheap meal to create.

ZC, it's from a small chain called Tortilla. They do burritos, tacos, nachos and naked burrito bowls (burrito without the wrap). It's kind of like Subway, where you move along the counter picking what you want in your burrito/bowl - and it's sooo yummy!
    Only £5 for a huge portion too
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 18th Aug 16, 10:02 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Spent £1.69 on a huge bag of ice yesterday for my breakfasts the rest of the week, and will also buy another soy or coconut milk tomorrow so that will be another £1.

I have the day off tomorrow, though it's likely to rain all day.
    Thinking of walking the 2.4 miles to John Lewis to have a free hot drink and cake, then about 3.5 miles back as I'll run some errands in town. Depends on how heavy it's raining!
    Better download a few podcasts just in case I go. I'm really enjoying The Minimalists podcast at the moment, as well as Girl Boss podcasts. May try a Hal Elrod one tomorrow though.

DH has run out of money - I knew he'd spend it all at the Audi Festival
    Since I unexpectedly managed to squirrel away around £270 this month due to the spread sheet error I had, I'll probably transfer him a few pounds so he can enjoy this weekend with my sister and her boyfriend
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 22nd Aug 16, 4:09 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Had an interesting meeting yesterday evening with the owners of the other 3 flats in my building.
    We're looking at buying the freehold as it's come up for sale.
    It seems like a good deal as it's £9,600, and with solicitor's fees and other costs its would be around £14,000 (£3,500 per flat).
    Since we'd save about £750 a year on management company fees, ground rent and things like gardening and cleaning (never even seen a cleaner come by and am happy to do it myself!) we'd earn our money back in 4 or 5 years, and we intend to be there for about that long anyway.
    Plus it would increase the appeal of our flat when selling.

So, that's £3,500 to find in the next few weeks...hmmm...

We have £2300 in the emergency/holiday fund so we could use a bit of that (but don't want to completely wipe it out in case of emergencies).
    Instead of overpaying and saving next month we can pop £1300 towards the freehold purchase.
    That leaves about £900 to find, though if it stretches out into October we'll have that month's overpayment of £1100 we could use for the freehold instead.
    If it doesn't stretch out, bank of mum and dad have already offered some money, though I'm reluctant to take it as we already owe them a few thousand for our car.

It's a good opportunity, and one we're not going to let slip by, but I was really looking forward to going somewhere hot and sunny in October
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 18th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    I'm back!

Quick update:
    We bought the freehold with the other 3 flats and it's going well so far. Our first annual service charge payment will be in October for only £400 - much better than the £1200 we were paying before.
    We've overpaid by a total of over £7000 on our mortgage and got the term down from 30 years to just over 25 years.
    We also managed to have a holiday in Dubai last month and have booked a mini-break near Plymouth for next month with friends, staying in a lodge with a hot tub!
    Our friend is not buying meals from us anymore, but this also means I can save the leftovers for lunches and not have to cook so much.
    His rent has also gone down from £475pm to £330pm.

Anyone else coming down from a chocolate high?
    Got to get back to the healthiness this week after the Easter weekend. Though I did go on a 6.5 mile walk on Saturday and had a good swim session yesterday. Got to burn off all that creme egg rocky road!

I enjoyed putting my shopping and meal plans on here before, so I think I'll continue to do that
    This week is:
    Monday: beef and vegetable stir fry with brown rice
    Tuesday: leftover beef stir fry / pizza night for DH
    Wednesday: giant cod fishcakes with green beans and broccoli
    Thursday: chicken and vegetable curry with brown rice
    Friday: probably leftover curry

We were fortunate in that we picked up a whole chicken, 4 beef frying steaks and 2 giant cod fishcakes reduced to only £5ish.

Not sure on the weekend meals yet as we may be seeing friends.
    Lunches are chicken and feta salads with leftover Easter nests.
    DH is having kiwis and flapjacks as snacks, and I'm having kiwis, plus yogurt with granola and homemade rhubarb and apple compote.
    (So much rhubarb from family and colleagues!)
    My lunch on Thursday is being provided by work - always a bonus
    DH's breakfast is generally toast with peanut butter and nutella, whilst mine switches between protein pancakes with blueberries or yogurt, granola and homemade compote. Once in a while I'll have porridge with nutella as a yummy treat

Next week I'll put an actual shopping list and meal breakdown for the week on here.

Anyway, hoping to overpay £500 this month, but I'm going to wait another week before putting it through just in case we need the money available for anything
    • allmannerofthings
    • By allmannerofthings 18th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    allmannerofthings
    Hi MC!

I'm very impressed with your food budget and meal plans, and will be following along for tips as I try to reduce mine!
    Mortgage March 2017 borrowed £115,000. Balance September 2017 £107867.50
    Overpayments 2017 £3630/Target £5000
    May £1710 June £0 July £900 Aug £505 Sept £515 Oct £ Nov £ Dec £
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 19th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Thanks AMOT I've popped over to your thread and will be following your journey too!

I think I'll have a sweep of the house after work today and collect some things that can be sold. I know I have at least a camera bag and Fitbit scales that can go.
    Anyone want a wedding dress? It's been on gumtree and preloved for God knows how long!

DH bought a GoPro and Karma Grip on Monday, so he now owes me a few hundred pounds. He's obviously not changed his ways
    I'm also owed a few hundred from the Freehold account as I've paid for things whilst the company bank account is being set up.
    So my own account is looking a little sorry for itself. Oh well! It's not like I spend any of it anyway

One thing I am thinking of spending on though is a new wardrobe - clothing, not furniture!
    When I got back from Dubai I sorted all my clothes out and packed most of them away, sort of testing out a Project 333 style capsule wardrobe. I'm really liking the simplicity of having fewer pieces to choose from, and it means I like whatever I pick out in the morning.
    There are few items I've found I need to buy though - some plain tshirts, a versatile party top, another pair of dark blue jeans...so that will be budgeted in for next month.
    Oh and I do need to buy some more chocolate protein powder for my pancakes and ice cream - that's £25 this month, but I haven't eaten out as much as I thought this month so it will come from that side of the budget.
    "What's protein ice cream?" I hear you ask. I'll post about it tomorrow

In case anyone's interested, food today is:
    Protein pancakes with blueberries and coconut jam,
    Banana and carrot oat bar,
    Chicken and feta salad and the last Easter nest cake,
    Rice cakes with coconut jam and cashew butter,
    Cod fishcake, green beans and broccoli, or chicken and vegetable curry with brown rice - I'll make whichever DH feels like,
    And maybe some Thorntons Easter egg
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 20th Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    I warn you, it's a pretty random post today

------

Had a wonderful and inspiring day at work today. We had a large conference on creating an excellent service community and the speakers were just so motivating
    Having lunch provided is always a bonus, and I was not disappointed by the spread.
    I had a falafal wrap, pop chips, a healthy juice and lots of gorgeous chocolate cake
    No Easter egg for me after dinner tonight! Well...maybe...

Speaking of food, I did say I'd explain my protein ice cream today, so here goes:
    You pop a cup or so of milk in a powerful blender, along with a scoop of flavoured protein powder, a teaspoon of xanthan gum and a handful of ice.
    Start blending and keep adding ice until the consistency of the ice cream is how you like it.
    Simples!
    I've only used whey protein so I don't know how it works with other types.
    Normal milk and coconut milk work really well, soy milk is good, and almond milk is ok but can go a bit ice-crystalish.
    Also, xanthan gum is really easy to find in most supermarkets, is very cheap and is just a powder like baking soda.
    This makes about a pint or so of ice cream which is packed full of protein and only around 150kcal (depending on the milk and protein powder you use).
    I love to have it with some cereal on top to get some carbs in and fill me up more

Anyway, I'm a major planner *performs salute* (anyone else watch HIMYM?) and love to research and organise.
    I found an app and website called Trello and I'm experimenting using it as a scheduler for my goals this year; having a week's views and popping smaller tasks related to my larger goals onto specific days at the beginning of the week, just to make sure I'm moving forward and working towards them.
    I'll be able to add overpaying the mortgage on there, plus saving for holidays too

Chicken curry for dinner tonight!
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 2nd May 17, 12:32 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MissCreative
    Hope everyone had an enjoyable bank holiday weekend!
    The weather was a bit random where I was but we still made the most of it.

I baked a huge 6 layer cake for three friends' birthdays so am very proud of myself for that
    It was alternating giant thick cookie layers with chocolate cake layers, with salted caramel Swiss meringue buttercream and chocolate ganache. Oh, and caramel popcorn on top of course
    Still have a quarter of it left. I've vowed not to touch it...we'll see how that goes!

Of course with three friends' birthdays to celebrate this weekend wasn't made up of NSDs, but I did have a budget of £50, and I actually came in under-budget!
    Here's a breakdown:
    Saturday lunch in: £1.70
    Saturday dinner out: £20
    Sunday dinner in: £3
    Sunday pub quiz and drinks: £6.95
    Brunch on Monday: £9
    Monday lunch in: £2.50
    Total: £43.15
    Plus we have some leftover soups, bread, tortilla chips, soft cheese and other bits and bobs to keep us fed this week

DH and I are at DH's parents' Thurs-Sat, and DH will be having pizza night tomorrow, so we didn't really do a shop this week - just cheddar cheese and a broccoli head!
    We had a butternut squash and other vegetables lying around so I cooked up a roasted butternut squash sauce last night and had that with pasta, vegetables and cheese. We'll be having that for dinner tonight as well.
    Lunch today and tomorrow is soup and bread leftover from our busy weekend, and snacks are tortilla chips, salady bits like tomatoes and cucumber, and rice cakes.
    May head to Asda after work to buy a pack of Heck chicken sausages - I love to snack on those protein-packed morsels!

DH and I are visiting Harry Potter World Thursday evening - so excited!
    Anyone been before?
    No idea what's happening dinner-wise as our ticket time is 6.30pm, but it will probably be a home-cooked early dinner by DH's mum. And the rest of the day should be a NSD, unless I get a haircut as I have the whole day off work (Woo! Two day week! )

I've was reading up on matched betting earlier and will continue to do so for the rest of the week. I'm not one to risk money without knowing all the ins and outs.
    DH gave it a go at Easter as his brother went through it with him, who is quite a dab hand at it. Since I'm popping to the in-laws Thurs-Sat this week maybe I'll rope him in to teaching me too! (Maybe I can get rid of the cake as a bribe )

We overpaid the mortgage by another £500 last Friday (I tend to keep the money around for the month now, just in case we need it). Almost under £140,000! Can't wait!
    May might not be so good though. DH bought a GoPro and Karma Grip last month, borrowing money from me, so he had to pay me back this month. This meant he didn't have any money to put towards over payments, but he did surprise me and do something very MSE-like, switching bank accounts. He should get £120 this week - £100 for switching and £20 from his sister for him using her as a referral instead of his mum!
    Speaking of May, I'll pop my budget on here very soon
    Last edited by MissCreative; 02-05-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    • allmannerofthings
    • By allmannerofthings 2nd May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    allmannerofthings
    Well done on celebrating 3 birthdays on less than £50, that's impressive

How do you make your butternut squash sauce for pasta? That sounds yummy!
    Mortgage March 2017 borrowed £115,000. Balance September 2017 £107867.50
    Overpayments 2017 £3630/Target £5000
    May £1710 June £0 July £900 Aug £505 Sept £515 Oct £ Nov £ Dec £
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 6,154 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Enjoy your 2 day week, I'm very jealous!

We went to HP World a couple years back and it was amazing. I think we will go back again at some point if we can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,129Posts Today

7,374Users online

Martin's Twitter