Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • ice babe
    • 12th Sep 07, 8:47 AM
    Iceland Saving Stamps
    • 12th Sep 07, 8:47 AM
    Re the article about savings stamps, I work for Iceland and you don't have to spend the full amount on your stamp card in one go. If you have £25 on your card but only spend £15 we can't give cash change, however, we give the change back in Iceland stamps. So you don't lose any money or have to buy stuff you don't want, just use it again on your next visit! Hope to see you soon!!!
  • CLC
    • 12th Sep 07, 12:07 PM
    Morrisons stamps
    • 12th Sep 07, 12:07 PM
    I shop in Morrisons and I've used these stamp cards in past years. One thing to be aware of - I've noticed in the past that the cards with the £3 bonus aren't available in December (they replace them with £50 cards with no bonus stamps). So - if you're planning to do this in December - I'd recommend picking up the collection cards now, in case they replace them again this year.
  • cport80
    • 24th Oct 07, 2:33 PM
    Newbie question
    • 24th Oct 07, 2:33 PM
    I haven't used savings stamps before as I don't like to be locked in to any particular retailer, however since OH is currently out of work through no fault of her own this may be the first year we use them.

So my question is can I buy them (most likely Asda) using a credit card?

I'm thinking if I get the 4% Cap1 card and put £144 into stamps it's effectively £6 in extra stamps plus 5.76 (144 * 0.04) when the CC pays out (presumably in about 12 months time).
    • puddings
    • By puddings 1st Nov 07, 12:40 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    puddings
    • 1st Nov 07, 12:40 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 12:40 AM
    Thanks for the article Martin - very enlightening.

I'm waiting for my new Abbey credit card to arrive, the one that gives 5% cashback on all supermarket purchases until January.

I plan to buy six Asda Christmas savings cards mid November each for £144, making £864 altogether.

Does anybody know if I'll be able to buy them using the credit card or do I have to pay by cash/cheque/debitcard?

The (£36) Asda bonus and the 5% Abbey bonus (£43.20) will make a nice addition to my Christmas stocking.

Thanks Asda. Thanks Abbey. Thanks Martin !!!
  • Former MSE Natasha
    • 1st Nov 07, 1:38 AM
    • 1st Nov 07, 1:38 AM
    Hi puddings & cport80,

As far as I'm aware, Asda's bonus card works in the same way as a gift card so there shouldn't be any restrictions on adding funds via a credit card.

Having said that, first check your credit card's terms & conditions don't view gift card/voucher purchases as cash withdrawals (unfortunately some have started to take this stance recently) as the interest charged would tarnish any potential savings.

• Kellm9
    • 6th Nov 07, 1:44 PM
    • 6th Nov 07, 1:44 PM
    Hi,

I've had a search around but can't find the info.

Can I buy Asda stamps and use them any time ? or do they have a time restriction on them ? I would assume not if Puddings is spending all that. £800 + would do me 3 > 4 months. Can anyone confirm they have no date restrictions ? Thanks

Kellm9
    • Jet
    • By Jet 7th Nov 07, 10:58 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    Jet
    • 7th Nov 07, 10:58 PM
    • 7th Nov 07, 10:58 PM
    Hi,

I've had a search around but can't find the info.

Can I buy Asda stamps and use them any time ? or do they have a time restriction on them ? I would assume not if Puddings is spending all that. £800 + would do me 3 > 4 months. Can anyone confirm they have no date restrictions ? Thanks

Kellm9
    Originally posted by Kellm9
    I was wondering the same thing too. Also when is the earliest I can start spending them? The day after the bonus?
  • Swifty2838
    • 13th Dec 07, 10:42 PM
    Morrisons Saving Stamps.
    • 13th Dec 07, 10:42 PM
    I shop in Morrisons and I've used these stamp cards in past years. One thing to be aware of - I've noticed in the past that the cards with the £3 bonus aren't available in December (they replace them with £50 cards with no bonus stamps). So - if you're planning to do this in December - I'd recommend picking up the collection cards now, in case they replace them again this year.
    Originally posted by CLC
    To-day we paid for our Christmas shop with Morrison's stamps.We didn't use all on the saver card and received the unspent value in CASH [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
  • xXx_Princess_xXx
    im confused, if i go to asda and buy £100 of these stamps and they have a 4% christmas bonus thing will they give me £40?
    what is the £36 bonus i keep seing mentioned?
    help!
    • novamation
    • By novamation 18th Sep 08, 1:29 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    novamation
    im confused, if i go to asda and buy £100 of these stamps and they have a 4% christmas bonus thing will they give me £40?
    what is the £36 bonus i keep seing mentioned?
    help!
    Originally posted by xXx_Princess_xXx
    i wondered this too. If that's not a mistake I may have to run out and buy some
    • C J
    • By C J 18th Sep 08, 2:05 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    C J
    4% of £100 is £4, not £40
    • novamation
    • By novamation 18th Sep 08, 2:07 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    novamation
    It was mentioning £40 in the article though, on a £100 spend,
  • dmv
    The article uses the example of saving £100 a month for a year not just a one off amount of £100. Also my understanding is that the extra £40 was the interest on that £100 a month in an isa, before the shop bonus was added on.
    • novamation
    • By novamation 18th Sep 08, 2:53 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    novamation
    Ok, thanks, was confused by that article
  • Gambit
    So when is the 'best time' to buy these stamps then? I've never done it before and considering doing it this year. Is the date that the bonus is given the same every year or does it differ?
    Current Debt Owed To Family: £12,575 £9,000
    Estimated Debt Free... Dec 2012 Aug 2012

Christmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477

• Momoney
    Asda Bonus Date
    Asda say they will pay their bonus on 17th November this year and will pay 'up to' £6 on a £144 card http://www.asdabusinessrewards.com/asc/ - I haven't been able to find dates or amounts on any other cards though so if anyone else knows that would be great!
  • nelly10
    Woolworth will pay on the 16th September of each year they check the balance on your card, for balances of £49 to £96.99p they add a £1 bonus; for balances of £97 to £143.99p they add a £3 bonus; for balances of £144 to £239.99p they add a £6 bonus to your card; or for balances of £240 and over they add a £10 bonus to your card. This bonus will be available to spend on 1st October of that year.
  • snugglebunny
    http://www.asda-press.co.uk/pressrelease/129 This page gives Asda's press release for the Christmas Bonus.
  • pigginsexy
    Woolworth will pay on the 16th September of each year they check the balance on your card, for balances of £49 to £96.99p they add a £1 bonus; for balances of £97 to £143.99p they add a £3 bonus; for balances of £144 to £239.99p they add a £6 bonus to your card; or for balances of £240 and over they add a £10 bonus to your card. This bonus will be available to spend on 1st October of that year.
    Originally posted by nelly10

I have been told by Woolworths Head office that it is 24th October this year and the bonus goes on 14th November!
    "Penny Pinching Winch"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,503Users online

Martin's Twitter