Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Jul 16, 8:38 AM
    • 1,043Posts
    • 3,325Thanks
    MrsSave
    A pound stretching maternity
    • 17th Jul 16, 8:38 AM
    A pound stretching maternity 17th Jul 16 at 8:38 AM
    This isn't my first diary on here, but as I'm now at a new chapter of my life I figured a fresh diary would be a good idea.

I am almost half way through my pregnancy. I'll be 20 weeks in a few days. I also have an almost 3 year old son. I do also have debts. These are:

1. Loan (set amount of £261.35 each month, except January). I have just over 4 years left on this. This is the result of lots of silly spending over the years, but since deciding to tackle these debts they have not increased so feel much more in control.
    2. Next bill (paying £50 a month at the moment)
    3. Mortgage (paying £601 a month).

I hate having the loan and the next bill, but I feel in control of them. I know that one day they will be gone.

Baby/pregnancy

Dc2 is due just before Christmas. I will be taking 9 months of maternity leave, and will return to work (well actually search for work) next September. I am a teacher and a contract I am on (and have been since last September) is due to end around the same time I'm due to give birth.

My hours are being cut in September, though. I will be working 1 day per week I will try to top this up with supply work, but will be limited to the days I can work as would need to arrange childcare for ds.

Thankfully we have most things that we will need for the baby. I think all we have left to buy is a few bits of clothes (especially if we're having a girl) and a changing bag. Other than that I think we're doing ok. We kept everything from ds and have also bought when we have found bargains so are pretty stocked up.

I've also already bought most of ds' Christmas presents (I know I'm super early). I buy when I see a bargain. I'll wait until closer to the time now to see if there is anything particular he has his eye on (so far, though, he has been too young to ask for anything).

This all means that there shouldn't be major spending from now on.

Maternity leave

I hope I'll be getting maternity pay from work. I'm not permanent but have ticked the criteria for receiving it (worked for the correct amount of time, earnt a certain amount, etc). I'm still waiting to find out for sure. If not, I should be able to get maternity allowance. This bit is a waiting game!!.

The plan from here on is to budget, budget, budget.

I'm hoping that having this diary will keep me on plan, and if anyone sees the need to kick my butt, please feel free!!
    Loan repayments: 18/60 Overpayment total: £25
    Check out my debt free diary 'A Pound Stretching Maternity' below:
Page 25
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 10th Jul 17, 11:34 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Oooooh, I just checked my topcashback as I'd had almost £30 waiting to be paid out (was stuck at stage 2 of 3 for ages!!!) and it's ready! Sent to my bank account. I was a little tempted by a gift card for Argos or Toys r Us for Christmas, but at the minute every penny counts!

I've then updated ynab (somehow my old ynab lost everything and wouldn't work, so I've gone for the new one). It's not pretty but at least I know where we stand!
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 11th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hey Mrs Save,

Glad to see you back. Exciting times with a new career path on the horizon. Good Luck with finding something that suits. It's such a mind field with childcare and fitting it all around your family with it costing an arm and leg in childcare isn't it. Xx
    OD £0 C Card 0% £2212.20 Now:£612 Loan£4540.84 Now:£3184.36 Familyloan £1000 Now:£900 Next: £99Now £90 DFS £1017 Now:£369.99
    Total Debt June 2016 £8996.47 Now:£5159.25= 42%Down
    Savings:£2010/£20,000 = 10% Car fund:£0 Xs fund £54 B/day £15
    Noodle: 602 Clear: 525 msescore:918/61%
    Ebay £110/£
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 11th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Thank you Hannah. Definitely exciting times!

Today has been a low spend day. Took ds2 swimming, but my mum came along and paid so didn't cost a penny. My only spends were £1.75 in co-op. We finished the bread at breakfast time and I bought a bottle of Pepsi max cherry, my new favourite!

It's ds1's birthday soon, so I need to go through and look at what I've got for him. I'm pretty sure we've bought everything, just need to get wrapping paper, a card and then the last minute decorations.

I'm not planning on leaving the house other than the school run tomorrow so my purse should be free from use!! I took out 3 20ps this morning and popped them in a sealed tin I've got. I'm trying to out away any 20ps I can find and will open the tin just before Christmas. I'm worried about opening it and only have about £2 or something in there!!
    • Pismo
    • By Pismo 12th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Pismo
    Hi MrsSave

Just found your diary and trying to work my way through it now. Congrats on the change of career!

I'm in, almost, the same position as you as due to start maternity leave mid October (at 36weeks). Our current debt totals a whopping 25k and I doubt were going to make much of a dent in it whilst I'm off. However I will settle for not increasing the debt any.

Pismo x
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 13th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Hi MrsSave

Just found your diary and trying to work my way through it now. Congrats on the change of career!

I'm in, almost, the same position as you as due to start maternity leave mid October (at 36weeks). Our current debt totals a whopping 25k and I doubt were going to make much of a dent in it whilst I'm off. However I will settle for not increasing the debt any.

Pismo x
    Originally posted by Pismo
    Congratulations on the new baby! Will s/he be your first? I've had 2 maternity leaves, and that's when I struggle most financially. Good luck on paying off your debt.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 13th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I applied for the part time job I mentioned a few days ago. The closing date is the end of last week, but I received an e-mail from them yesterday with additional questions before the shortlist. I've answered that, so it's just a waiting game on that one. I have sent off my cv for another job as well, but I'm not hopeful at all with that one......not enough experience, but always worth a try.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that I was studying whilst on this maternity leave (part of where our money is going, but I see it as a long term investment). I've got 2 exams next week, so spending most of my free time studying at the moment.

I've ordered a food shop to be delivered Saturday morning, and it's one of those weeks where lots of things are starting to run out so lots of different bits being added to it. I'd love a cheap shop week soon!!!
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 16th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Good Luck for your exams. I hope your giving yourself some time off to relax this weekend.

Food shopping is sooo expensive isn't it! I find I run out of one thing then before you know it you've made a list for a full food shop when you didn't even realise you needed it! It's not as easy to just scrap anything together when you have kids to think about feeding is it. X
    OD £0 C Card 0% £2212.20 Now:£612 Loan£4540.84 Now:£3184.36 Familyloan £1000 Now:£900 Next: £99Now £90 DFS £1017 Now:£369.99
    Ebay £110/£
    • Pismo
    • By Pismo 16th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Pismo
    MrsSave- this is my third (but only my second maternity leave as wasn't working the first time round). Maternity leave wasn't so bad last time but that may be because we were just using the credit cards as well.

I'm also at the wanting to do something different career wise - I only graduated 4 years ago but I'm worn out in my current job. Can I be nosey and ask what you're studying now? And are you enjoying it?
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 16th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Do you have a diary Pismo? I have three weeks left of mat leave and am returning with nearly £4000 debt cleared and £2000 saved where as last mat leave I was creating debt. My diary is the main thing that's kept me on track. X
    Ebay £110/£
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 21st Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Pismo, I've decided to train in accounting and I'm 100% loving it!

I have a job interview in a fortnight's time for a job in finance that would fit in great with the boys/school. The only issue (well half an issue) is that it is part time. The reason is that it's an issue is money, the reason is that it's only half an issue is that it means I get to spend more time with my boys and time studying. I've been sitting going through finances to see if we can make it work. I do a little self employed work as well, and would love to be able to do a little more for some extra money.

I've created a spreadsheet listing the money in/money out and trying to see where we can save. I don't want our boys to suffer because we're struggling. I love spoiling them at Christmas and their birthdays and intend to continue doing that (within reason.....we don't spend an absolute fortune). I want the boys to be able to do some activities such as swimming, etc. I *need* a haircut, etc etc. By adding it all up, it's doable......just. My husband gets paid weekly, so some weeks there are 5 pays. Those months will mean a little towards savings, a treat, etc. He also has a bonus every 3 months (not much but it all helps). I really want this job, so I really need to make this work.

I need to look at our grocery shopping to start. That spending creeps up all the time. Lots of extra treats are finding their way in. That needs to stop. We're also using far too many baby jars. I do cook, blend and freeze lots, and there's always something in the freezer for the littlest, but I still use far too many!!!

Sky has been reduced for the last year, and it has just gone up to full price again. I'm going to phone them up to see if I can reduce it down again. We've also been using netflix, but recently it hasn't really been used. I'm going to look into cancelling that.

If I am lucky enough to get this job, then they have stated that they'd want someone who would be able to do overtime to cover holidays from time to time. That would bring a little extra in as well.

I need to look at a balance transfer to transfer the debt from the cards (yes, they're back) so it's all 0%.

Right, so step 1: sort out groceries,
    step 2: phone sky,
    step 3: cancel netflix,
    step 4: get this job!!!
    step 5: live within our means, and reduce debt.

Easy peasy!!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 21st Jul 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Step 1: sort out groceries,
    step 2: phone sky,
    step 3: cancel netflix, done
    step 4: balance transfer to 0% cc
    step 5: get this job!!!
    step 6: live within our means, and reduce debt.
    Last edited by MrsSave; Yesterday at 12:21 AM.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 22nd Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I applied for a 0% balance transfer card last night and was approved. I just need to wait for everything to come through now and it'll make things easier.

I am going to change my supermarket delivery saver today from any day to midweek. It's half the price, and also click and collect is then free any day (I think). I have 1 more month at the full price before the contract ends. I am also going to get back into 100% meal planning. It's a half hearted attempt at the moment. I've joined the August grocery shop thread.

We're going out this afternoon to a local fete. Will have to set a budget before going.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin