Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Jul 16, 8:38 AM
    • 1,164Posts
    • 3,842Thanks
    MrsSave
    A pound stretching maternity
    • 17th Jul 16, 8:38 AM
    A pound stretching maternity 17th Jul 16 at 8:38 AM
    This isn't my first diary on here, but as I'm now at a new chapter of my life I figured a fresh diary would be a good idea.

I am almost half way through my pregnancy. I'll be 20 weeks in a few days. I also have an almost 3 year old son. I do also have debts. These are:

1. Loan (set amount of £261.35 each month, except January). I have just over 4 years left on this. This is the result of lots of silly spending over the years, but since deciding to tackle these debts they have not increased so feel much more in control.
    2. Next bill (paying £50 a month at the moment)
    3. Mortgage (paying £601 a month).

I hate having the loan and the next bill, but I feel in control of them. I know that one day they will be gone.

Baby/pregnancy

Dc2 is due just before Christmas. I will be taking 9 months of maternity leave, and will return to work (well actually search for work) next September. I am a teacher and a contract I am on (and have been since last September) is due to end around the same time I'm due to give birth.

My hours are being cut in September, though. I will be working 1 day per week I will try to top this up with supply work, but will be limited to the days I can work as would need to arrange childcare for ds.

Thankfully we have most things that we will need for the baby. I think all we have left to buy is a few bits of clothes (especially if we're having a girl) and a changing bag. Other than that I think we're doing ok. We kept everything from ds and have also bought when we have found bargains so are pretty stocked up.

I've also already bought most of ds' Christmas presents (I know I'm super early). I buy when I see a bargain. I'll wait until closer to the time now to see if there is anything particular he has his eye on (so far, though, he has been too young to ask for anything).

This all means that there shouldn't be major spending from now on.

Maternity leave

I hope I'll be getting maternity pay from work. I'm not permanent but have ticked the criteria for receiving it (worked for the correct amount of time, earnt a certain amount, etc). I'm still waiting to find out for sure. If not, I should be able to get maternity allowance. This bit is a waiting game!!.

The plan from here on is to budget, budget, budget.

I'm hoping that having this diary will keep me on plan, and if anyone sees the need to kick my butt, please feel free!!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Loan £9,906.30 £9,644.95 Credit Card £6,480.60
    Total: £16,386.90 £16,125.55
    Savings £1.45
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S, family life and debt' below:
Page 24
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 23rd Jan 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    2 days until payday! I'll be able to see how much I'll be getting tomorrow. I'm aiming, though, not to start using it until February though. Up until now I've always started the 'new month' straight after my payday, so the 25th of the month. I'm trying to stretch things out this month though.

I've meal planned for this week......
    Mon - fish pie
    Tues - chicken and bean enchiladas
    Wed and Thurs - beef casserole
    Fri - out
    Sat - homemade Chinese
    Sun - roast

I've been to Tesco with ds2 this morning and came in £6 under budget. We will probably need to top up on milk and bread at some point though.

This week will be a little 'spendy'. Both me and ds1 are booked in for haircuts. I also want to take ds1 to get his feet measured. It's my birthday coming up, so we're going out Friday night for food and I've booked in to get my nails done. This has all been budgeted for, other than the shoes. I realised that whilst I had a budget for the children's clothes, I always had to move money around if ds1 needed new shoes. I've created a new 'shoe' budget within ynab.
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 26th Jan 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Payday was yesterday, and it was less than I was expecting. My payslip hasn't arrived yet (I'm hoping it turns up today). Once that arrives I'll be able to see how my pay has been worked out.

Other than the planned spends, this week has been a quiet money week. I've just downloaded the Tesco app that you use to pay for your shopping on my phone. You get an extra 50 points for each time you use it for the first 10 times. I shop in Tesco regularly so should be able to get the maximum points.

Dh gets paid tomorrow and once that is in I'll transfer money for February. I might even do the bulk of that now as ds2 is in school and ds1 is asleep, and just transfer dh's pay tomorrow.

I really need to sort through the freezer again as I have no idea what's in there. All I know is that it is full to the top! We've probably got enough food in this house to feed us for the whole of February (other than a couple of fresh bits!).

Right, I'm going to transfer the money before ds1 wakes!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 26th Jan 17, 11:02 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    That's a great tip on the tesco App. Thanks!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 29th Jan 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    My payslip still hadn't arrived by Friday so I phoned payroll to ask 1. Where it was, and 2. Why my pay was low? The lady I spoke with confirmed my payslip had been sent to my place of work and that I'd only been paid 3 weeks of smp. She could't work out what had happened so will be phoning me back on monday after looking into it further. The school my payslip had been sent to posted it out to me, and that turned up Saturday. It makes no sense at all. It shows the 3 weeks of smp. It also shows that they tried to pay 2 weeks of my previous salary but took that back off me. They took out 2 lots of my pension, but paid one back in. It makes no sense. Fingers crossed it gets sorted tomorrow and I get a nice bit extra in my next pay.

My eldest son has started having lots of party invites (including a joint one for 3 of his classmates next month). I've decided to go to Wilkos tomorrow to see if there is still a toy sale and pick up a few gifts. If there isn't still a sale I'll still pick up some bits as they're reasonably priced there. I need to start building up a gift cupboard!!!

I'm doing the food shop tomorrow and that should be quite a bit under budget. We don't need much! Other than that my plans this week are:
    *Take ds1 to get his feet measured (fingers crossed They haven't grown!!),
    *Return to Slimming World (I'm eating more now than when I was pregnant),
    *return clothes that don't fit,
    *Possibly take ds1 to soft play (well, and take ds2 along for the ride!),
    *Meal plan for next week.

Other than that it will be the usual cooking, cleaning, tidying, school runs and most importantly cuddles!

Sorry about any mistakes, I've typed this on my phone with ds2 asleep in my arms!!!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th Jan 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    louby40
    Mrs Save

If you pay into the teachers pension scheme go online https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/ and check it. Our head is retiring in July and has been assessing her pension - she has found loads of discrepencies in her service history, we thought it was because our LEA moved it's payroll to someone else but other teacher's have also found things amiss. One teacher is down as being part time, others have months where it appears they haven't worked - but they have, it's all very odd.

I seem to be one of the few people whose pension/service history looks normal
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Jan 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Thank you Louby. I do check periodically, but my contract changes so often I have no idea what is right! I need to have a proper look and compare with my pay cheques!!

Payroll didn't get back to me today. No surprises there! I will chase them up tomorrow.

I went to Wilko this morning to look for children's gifts. I ended up with 8 gifts for around £18. That makes it just over £2 per gift. They were mainly crafty things (which the parents will probably hate me for, but the kids should enjoy!!). I also took a pair of trousers back to Debenhams and received £20 back on a gifts card. We did the food shop and came in a little under budget, but I had toast and a drink in Debenhams whilst feeding ds2, so adding that on means I'm at budget.

I bought sea bass for dinner. It was so tasty! I'm trying to eat more fish at the moment as we very rarely used to eat it. Tomorrow I'll be making homemade pizzas with ds1......he'll enjoy that!

I used the app for paying at Tesco for the first time today. It's so easy!! It was so simple that I have added a card to my Apple Pay wallet this evening. I'm feeling all modern and cool
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 2nd Feb 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Where on earth is time going??

I phoned payroll and spoke with someone else. He managed to sort it over the phone with me. Fingers crossed it means things will be correct at the end of this month! 3 weeks until I find out!

Spend wise, it feels like money is always going out! Ds1's feet have grown, so I've bought him new school shoes. I do need to get him new trainers at some point (soon) as well, but I'm not spending on Clarks shoes for them.

I took the boys to soft play this afternoon. It was mainly for my own sanity as ds1 was wild at home and I thought the running around would burn off some energy!! I'm a complete home bird and could quite happily potter around and not venture far for a few days. I think ds1 takes after dh and need to be out! With the horrible weather today (and all this week) the soft play had to do!

I have been working on onepoll surveys for what seems like ages (probably 5-6 months) and I've today reached the £40 needed for a payout.

Ds2 is full of smiles now and is starting to chatter. He melts my heart ever time he smiles at me. Proper mouth wide open smiles where you can also see it in his eyes. I'm loving it.

I made a chilli con carne yesterday, and had enough for this evening as well so dinner was nice and easy.

Right, I'm going to have a nose around the boards here and then may possibly have an early night!!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 5th Feb 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Not much has changed in the past few days! I sat and worked out how much ds2 was costing us in nappies, wipes and formula and adjusted our shopping budget to reflect this. I've now separated the budget for ds2 and for our food shop on ynab to make it a little easier.

Next food shop is tomorrow, and I've made my list. We will need to call over to co-op later to pick up some fruit before tomorrow. We have 1 apple left in the fruit bowl. I don't remember ever letting my fruit bowl get so empty!! Will pick up a couple of bits for ds1 and dh for the rest of today and for tomorrow's lunch box and will then stock up a little better tomorrow where it will be cheaper!

I kicked our coffee table Friday (accidentally). It flippin' hurt! My little toe is still sore today and after looking at it, it is swollen, and a mixture of red and bruised. I can walk on it without too much pain so I'm doubting I broke it. Hopefully it will settle within a few days.

I've got a nice pork joint to cook for Sunday roast today. I'm planning to make a sweet and sour pork during the week with the left overs (and maybe sandwich filling for dh tomorrow - we've also run out of ham!!). My meal planning for the week is sorted
    Mon - fish (probably trout)
    Tues - Cajun chicken pieces, homemade wedges and corn on the cob
    Wed - sweet and sour pork (homemade)
    Thurs - hopefully left over sweet and sour
    Fri - homemade burgers with homemade chips (salad if I'm feeling good and there's some in Tesco tomorrow )
    Sat - our budgeted takeaway for the month
    Sun - roast (chicken).
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 5th Feb 17, 11:06 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sorry to hear about your poor toe! Hope it feels better soon.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 7th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hey Mrs Save, thought I'd check in. How are you getting on with the boys? Guessing your like me and life is super hectic right now! Hope your still on track money wise and just to busy to post. Xxx
    Deposit :£10,469/£20,000 = 50% Fee fund £1903 emergency fund:£752/£1000 Car fund:£5 Xs fund £67 B/day £45
    Noodle: 614 Clear: 499 mse:967/61%
    Family loan £7000/£6875
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 24th Mar 17, 4:06 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Hi all!! Where on earth is time going? Just a quick middle of the night, post feed check in!!

The boys are doing great. We have discovered that the baby has an intollerance to dairy, so he's on a special (though very smelly) formula. Looking at the positive, it's saving us a fortune in milk, though obviously I'd much rather he didn't have the intollerance. Apparently, most babies who have this do grow out of it between the ages of 1 and 3, so I'm hoping he does!! He started sleeping through the night, did it for a whole week, but is back to waking for a night feed again. It was nice while it lasted!!

The eldest is such a good boy, though he has started to ask for dinner out on Friday nights (it's his choice for dinner), so I'm putting my foot down there and we're having freezer junk instead!!

I returned to Slimming World on the 1st Feb. I'm 16lbs down and lighter than I was when I fell pregnant! Still a long way to go mind!!

Money wise, we are coping pretty ok with maternity leave. I obviously wish we had a lot more money so could relax a little more, but we are putting food on the table each day, we can heat the house and can clothe the children. All in all, I definitely can't complain.

We had the council tax letter through today for the new financial year and for some reasons they've changed it to over 12 months. My first thought was to phone them up to change it back to 10 (I love the 2 'free' months), but then figured £20 per month cheaper whilst on maternity leave is surely a good thing! Going to leave it as it is for now.

My eldest is going full time in school after Easter so there's a new expense.......dinner money!! I've budgeted the first lot into April's money.

Right, back to sleep for me (hopefully). Will update properly soon!!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 27th Apr 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I have no idea what has happened, but somehow ds2 is already 4 1/2 months old. Where does time go, and why are my babies growing up so fast??!!

I've just sorted May's budget and it is going to be a tight month. The positive is that we've got a kitchen full of food and there doesn't seem to be anything else major we need to buy. We've got around £230 'spare' money for the month, but that needs to cover food, petrol, nappies and any other bits and bobs.

Ds1 has 3 parties over the next week and a half, but I'm pretty sure I have enough in the gift drawer to cover those, will be checking in the morning.

I think I'll stock up on nappies for the month tomorrow, so we know that's sorted. Food wise, as I mentioned, our cupboards are full. We still have a few different bits of meat in the freezer, plenty of tins and jars, and loads of frozen veg. I'm hoping all we'll really need each week are fresh fruit, milk, bread, a bit of meat and then stocking up on bits like potatoes, pasta etc. I love cooking, and own every herb and spice under the sun, so I'm not too worried about not eating nice food. I also buy plenty of whatever fruit/veg is on offer so there's always something in the house.

We do have a little money in other pots, and Dh has offered to move some money from the business account over to help us, but to be honest I think it will be good for us to see if we can do this.

I've signed up to a park savings account, for their gift cards. We will use this for buying Christmas gifts for people. It seems that every Christmas there are extra children to buy for (Lots of nieces and nephews, and more on the way!).

I will update more often, and have a browse through some other diaries too!!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 27th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I did forget to mention, ds1 is now having school dinners. That's £12.50 per week.

With regards to council tax being changed to 12 payments, I received another letter saying there had been a mistake so we are back on 10 payments. It seems that this happened to many people around here! I could request to change it, but I do like the 2 'free' months!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 28th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I had a look this morning for party gifts, and I have enough in the house so need to go buying! Other than that today's been pretty quiet. I've bagged up ds2's 3-6 month clothes and hung up his 6-9 month ones. We've been out for a walk/fresh air and collected ds2's formula from the chemist at the same time. We walked the school run both times so no petrol has been used at all.

Freezer food dinner of ds1's choice tonight and he wants sausage and chips. Will get that started soon. I have already put a bottle of wine in the fridge! Despite being on maternity leave, Fridays are still a chill out night with a glass or 2 of vino!

The bank holiday weekend shouldn't be too spendy. (Thankfully). Ds1 has 2 birthday parties, so I'm thinking Monday will br a play in the garden/chill with a DVD kinda day! Ds1 still has plenty of chocolate left from Easter so he may even get a treat
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 28th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Check out Argos they have a play doh bundle sweet shop for £27.99 in the sale but it can be split to make about 5 birthday gifts. I stocked up the other day. X
    Deposit :£10,469/£20,000 = 50% Fee fund £1903 emergency fund:£752/£1000 Car fund:£5 Xs fund £67 B/day £45
    Noodle: 614 Clear: 499 mse:967/61%
    Family loan £7000/£6875
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 29th Apr 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Check out Argos they have a play doh bundle sweet shop for £27.99 in the sale but it can be split to make about 5 birthday gifts. I stocked up the other day. X
    Originally posted by hannahroberts1985
    That's a fab idea, thanks.

I'm waiting for some money to hit the accounts that I'm owed. It should be this weekend which will be brilliant. It will mean a little extra spending money this month. It's not a huge amount, but every little helps. I've got almost £30 in topcashback as well at the minute so I'm just waiting for that to become available. It states an average of 18 weeks, and it's been over 14 now so it may be very soon. If we get both of those, things will be so much easier next month.

We've been invited out for food with my parents tonight, but have already been told it's on them.

Otherwise the past few days have been spend free other than the usual bills (and dinner money now!), but they're all budgeted for and I don't count them as spends!!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th Apr 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    louby40
    Are you in Wales then Mrs Save as dinners for EYFS/KS1 is free in England. Such a saving for people I think. The school I work at also offers a sandwich choice too, I have about 2 children out of a class of 30 that bring their own packed lunch!

Can't believe your DS is 4 1/2 months - time just flies doesn't it! My eldest got his first job on Wednesday!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Apr 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Are you in Wales then Mrs Save as dinners for EYFS/KS1 is free in England. Such a saving for people I think. The school I work at also offers a sandwich choice too, I have about 2 children out of a class of 30 that bring their own packed lunch!

Can't believe your DS is 4 1/2 months - time just flies doesn't it! My eldest got his first job on Wednesday!
    Originally posted by louby40
    Yes I'm in Wales. We could opt for packed lunch, but I'd prefer that he eats school dinners. He used to be a brilliant eater, but has become so much more difficult recently and I've already seen a little improvement. Thank you for your suggestion, though. It is definitely something to consider if things become extremely tight. Well done to you eldest. I bet he's excited about his first pay packet! Time does fly!

Food shop was done this morning. Ended up doing a mixture of Aldi and Tesco. We ended up spending £28.02. We should have everything we need for the coming week now!

The money that I was supposed to receive yesterday didn't arrive! I know it will come, but it's a case of when!!

The rest of our bank holiday weekend is going to be pretty quiet. There is a race in our local town tomorrow, which includes a fun run for younger children. We're going to take ds1 along to it. It's £3 for the entry. We will eat lunch before going so no extra cost there. Otherwise, the rest of the weekend is about chilling out, a film, a few jigsaws and some toys! Ds1 is shattered, so once both birthday parties are finished, a rest will do him good.
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 9th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    So apparently it is already July, and I've been missing from here for ages

Well, maternity leave is not going brilliantly financially. It didn't last time either! I only have around 6 weeks left until the 9 months paid ends, so we're going to ride it out until then. There have been a few bigger expenses that we didn't foresee, and just generally we've been spending more than we're earning.

I don't have a job to go back to, so I've already started looking at different jobs. I won't be going back to teaching, but will end up needing to work full time. We've decided that dh will reduce to 4 days a week and he can look after ds2 on his day off. He then has the opportunity to work later during those 4 days or do a few hours over the weekend. Basically, we can't afford for ds2 to be in nursery for more than 2 days a week (I'll probably start off earning minimum wage, or just a little higher....it'll be worth it long term though). We've got family available for 2 days childcare.

Both boys are doing great. It's ds1's birthday soon, and he's having his first proper birthday party. We're having a joint party with another child, so halving the cost. He's so excited! Ds2 (who's 7 months!!!) has started weaning, and whilst weaning we've been trying him back on cow's milk. He seems to be tolerating it, so fingers crossed he will be fine on dairy.

Food shopping seems to be getting more and more expensive. I started shopping at Aldi to save money, but the bill was more and more each week so I've now gone back to getting home deliveries.

I've started saving with Park for Christmas. I found putting a little aside meant I was dipping in to the money. By doing it this way, I can't spend what I've already paid.

Right, I need to spend some time nosing around this site and especially the DFW board to find my money saving mojo!
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 10th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,842 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Posting 2 days in a row, I'm pretty sure I deserve some sort of sticker for that

Today I've created a new spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets!) totalling all our monthly expenses ready for job hunting. I've seen one job advertised today that I may go for. It's only 3 days per week, which isn't ideal, but would mean only putting ds2 in nursery 1 day a week (saving of around £170/month there!). It's just down the road which mean minimum petrol costs and is in the field that I've decided to retrain into. It's not exactly what I want to do, but will mean some good experience and then once the boys are a little older I'll be able to progress.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical, because chances are I wouldn't even get an interview. Working 3 days would mean extra time for studying. Ive been gaining new qualifications on this maternity leave, 2 more exams coming up!

Other than that, I've not been up to much today. Spreadsheets and studying! Tomorrow I plan on taking ds2 swimming whilst ds1 is at school. That will cost £4.40. I'm then making spaghetti carbonara for dinner. Other than that I'll do more studying whilst ds2 is asleep.
    Debt (03/08/17)
    Savings £1.45
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,122Posts Today

8,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin