Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Jul 16, 8:38 AM
    • 1,003Posts
    • 3,045Thanks
    MrsSave
    A pound stretching maternity
    • 17th Jul 16, 8:38 AM
    A pound stretching maternity 17th Jul 16 at 8:38 AM
    This isn't my first diary on here, but as I'm now at a new chapter of my life I figured a fresh diary would be a good idea.

I am almost half way through my pregnancy. I'll be 20 weeks in a few days. I also have an almost 3 year old son. I do also have debts. These are:

1. Loan (set amount of £261.35 each month, except January). I have just over 4 years left on this. This is the result of lots of silly spending over the years, but since deciding to tackle these debts they have not increased so feel much more in control.
    2. Next bill (paying £50 a month at the moment)
    3. Mortgage (paying £601 a month).

I hate having the loan and the next bill, but I feel in control of them. I know that one day they will be gone.

Baby/pregnancy

Dc2 is due just before Christmas. I will be taking 9 months of maternity leave, and will return to work (well actually search for work) next September. I am a teacher and a contract I am on (and have been since last September) is due to end around the same time I'm due to give birth.

My hours are being cut in September, though. I will be working 1 day per week I will try to top this up with supply work, but will be limited to the days I can work as would need to arrange childcare for ds.

Thankfully we have most things that we will need for the baby. I think all we have left to buy is a few bits of clothes (especially if we're having a girl) and a changing bag. Other than that I think we're doing ok. We kept everything from ds and have also bought when we have found bargains so are pretty stocked up.

I've also already bought most of ds' Christmas presents (I know I'm super early). I buy when I see a bargain. I'll wait until closer to the time now to see if there is anything particular he has his eye on (so far, though, he has been too young to ask for anything).

This all means that there shouldn't be major spending from now on.

Maternity leave

I hope I'll be getting maternity pay from work. I'm not permanent but have ticked the criteria for receiving it (worked for the correct amount of time, earnt a certain amount, etc). I'm still waiting to find out for sure. If not, I should be able to get maternity allowance. This bit is a waiting game!!.

The plan from here on is to budget, budget, budget.

I'm hoping that having this diary will keep me on plan, and if anyone sees the need to kick my butt, please feel free!!
    Emergency fund #16 £70/£1000
    Loan repayments: 16/60 Overpayment total: £25
    Check out my debt free diary 'A Pound Stretching Maternity' below:
Page 15
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 10th Oct 16, 5:20 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning,

Hope you slept better last night.

Fingers crossed for your hubby, it would be amazing if he did get the job.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 10th Oct 16, 7:45 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Morning,

Oh that does sound good for DP fingers crossed for you. Great news your mat pay is worked out on when you were full time too. That's a real bonus.

X
    OD £1200 Now£0Credit Card 0% £2272.20 Now:£1912 Loan£4540.84 Now:£3959.14 Next account: £49Now £9.99£1017 Now:£741.26
    Total Debt June 2016 £8996.47 Now:£6622.39 = 26% down
    Savings:£1620 Car fund:£125 Christmas fund £0 Birthday fund £75
    Noodle June 2016: 548 Now: 581 ClearScore: July 2016:448 msescore:791
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 10th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Fingers crossed hubby gets the job.
    Capital one balance to clear by 31st December 2016 £845/£1400

Weight to lose by 31st October 2016 9bs/14lbs ( to weigh 10 stone 10lbs)
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 11th Oct 16, 1:45 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Last night's sleep was a little better. Tonight though..........well I'm on here now

I spent £86 yesterday I stocked up with winter jumpers/tunics in a size and 2 sizes bigger ready for after I have the baby. I hated wearing maternity clothes after having ds so figured some oversized jumpers and jeggings were the way to go. I ordered them all from matalan, so I have 2-3 times the amount of things than if I'd ordered from next!

I'm supposed to be working today, but I'm so glad I cancelled my overtime now. I'll hopefully manage to snooze a bit later!

£29.29 payout from topcashback has reached my account. I also made an eBay sale, so but after eBay and PayPal fees have been left with pennies I've got 3 surveys on prolific waiting to become payable, and once they are I'll be able to request a payout. I'm also waiting patiently (ha!) for more topcashback transactions to become available. I've got around £80 waiting there.

I've tried checking my Tesco credit card, but the site is down for maintenance. My blanace is currently at around £450 and there is another fortnight until my payday. I'm determined to keep it low this month!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 11th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I managed a little snooze earlier. That was until the water company text to say that there'd been a burst pipe in the area so I didn't have any water. It's good that they let people know........but I was asleep The water is back now so all sorted!

I've packaged the item I sold on ebay up. Other than that I've done very little today. I've got a bad head and I've been having braxton hicks on and off all day so I'm very pleased I cancelled my overtime. I think I may cancel next week as well. The money is nice, but if dh sees me really struggling by the end of the week he'll take time off to look after ds for me, which then means we've actually lost more money than I've earned.

I've also had another look at my grocery budget and changed it about a bit (again) just because I think I'd prefer home delivery at the moment instead of pushing a trolley around the supermarket and then filling it with lots of extra treats. I just meant balancing out how much was budgeted for each week so that there's enough each week to cover the minimum grocery spend. I'll pop to tesco tomorrow, and then after that I'll have it delivered now.

My mortgage payment is due to go out tomorrow and I'm desperate to know whether it is the new amount or whether I have to wait until next month for that. I really hope it's the new amount tomorrow, which will free up almost £130. It will make up for the overtime I've cancelled.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 12th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mortgage payment has gone out and it was the new amount That meant I had around £120 spare! Most of that has been put into saving, though I did add a little to the Christmas food fund, and a little to our grocery shop this week and next week which means I'll be able to get home delivery as I'll have over £40 to spend.

My emergency fund is now up to £10, and I also have £92 in an isa. I'm keeping it there until I see how much my pay is this month. I've worked out that I'll be due another tax rebate which usually comes in my pay cheque. If I do get it then we'll have enough money for November, if I don't then that £92 will make up for it. If I don't need to touch it, then in November I'll transfer £40 of it to the emergency fund, and the rest can stay in the isa ready for any unexpected new baby spends. I remember after having ds we spent. A little with just extra trips to Tesco for treats, and buying a few unexpected last minute bits. I'd rather have the money there than have to juggle around and take out from the emergency fund.

I'm going to work on my 2017 goals today, after seeing purplemum do hers. Fab idea!

Spending wise today.......I'm doing the Tesco shop. I'm budgeting £35 for that. After that we are taking ds to see a pre school show this morning (it was his birthday present and already paid for) but if time is tight between it finishing and school than we'll buy something quick for lunch.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 12th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    2017 Goals

• Save £1000 in my emergency fund,
    • Survive maternity leave without adding to my debts,
    • Enjoy maternity leave without taking on extra work (I ended up tutoring and making crafts last time),
    • Find a part time (preferably permanent) job at the end of my maternity leave,
    • Stick to grocery and gift buying budgets.
    Last edited by MrsSave; 12-10-2016 at 7:03 PM.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 12th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I've started my 2017 goals. I'll edit the post and update as I think of things!!

Tesco came in at £29.90 so £5.10 under target We did buy lunch on the way home, which was a little over £5, but that came from the cash I'd already taken out of our accounts and shows as spent on YNAB. I did then spend £15.99 online at New Look. It's getting colder and I'm not really wanting to buy lots of winter maternity things so I ordered a couple of long sleeve tshirts that I can layer under my short sleeve tops. One black and one navy so they should go with anything!

We had a slow cooker meal this evening. Balsamic braised beef. It is one of my favourite slow cooker meals so far. There's plenty left over for tomorrow as well.

Ds really enjoyed his show this morning, but was shattered this evening! He was in bed with lights out by 6:45 and hasn't made a noise since!
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 12th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Evening,

Good call on cancelling the overtime it's is a totally different ball game second time around isn't it. You can't just stop when you want/need to!

Your goals look good for next year. I think we're both in the same boat over preparing for when the tiredness and bad decisions start creeping into our brains. We can do this! Maternity leave will not break us!!!
    OD £1200 Now£0Credit Card 0% £2272.20 Now:£1912 Loan£4540.84 Now:£3959.14 Next account: £49Now £9.99£1017 Now:£741.26
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 13th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I can't believe it's Thursday already. Time is flying by!

I need to attack the laundry today. I should also really do a little more with the hospital bags! I've had an email to say my matalan things are on their way so will be able to pack one of the bigger tops in my hospital bag to wear home with a pair of maternity leggings.

I've promised to take ds to the library at some point today, so may make the trip down after school. It should be a nsd today.

I have seen, though, that Morrisons have 20 cans of Carling for £10. I may pick up a couple tomorrow and store away ready for Christmas.

I've already checked ynab and my accounts this morning. Everything is up to date.
    • Jacko_amz
    • By Jacko_amz 13th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Jacko_amz
    Hi MrsSave

Loving your blog Me and my OH are hoping to get pregnant (first fertility clinic apt soon) and its nice to read a getting ready for maternity blog as this is the most thing I am worried about!

I am the breadwinner out of me and OH and maternity pay scares the hell outta me haha!

Can I just ask about the slow cooker all in 1 prep bags, is this something u can buy? and do you literally put meat/veg all in one bag together and freeze?

Look forward to reading more, Amy x
    Trying to create a better future!

Total debt at worst - £19325
    Debts currently Oct 2016 - 15394
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 13th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave

Good luck on your journey. I hope it doesn't take too long for you. It's good that you are planning ahead and thinking about your maternity leave now. People recommend living on what would be your maternity pay before actually going on maternity and saving the rest. Or working out exactly how much money you need every month and put that (and some) away.

With regards to the slow cooker meals, I find them fantastic. I spent an hour at the end of September prepping 6 meals. What that involved was putting all the raw ingredients from a recipe (other than stock just to save room in the freezer) in a zip lock bag (they can be bought from the supermarket, Poundland, amazon) and freeze them flat. They don't take up much room then. We have our slow cooker meal on a Wednesday night (and usually left overs on Thursday) so we take it out of the freezer Monday after work and then put it in a bowl in the fridge (in case the bag leaks). By Wednesday it has defrosted and I just empty the bag into the slow cooker (and add the stock or another wet ingredient if I have left it out - I write on the bag what's needed and the time it takes to cook) and then turn it on low. I've just invested in a timer (a couple of pounds from Wilko) so that if we're out for the day, the slow timer doesn't need to be on for too long. I sometimes add noodles or frozen veg then to the slow cooker around an hour before serving, which is just enough time for then.

I hope that makes sense and I've answered your question. They do need a little planning and remembering to take out of the freezer, but like I said it only took 1 hour to prep 6 different meals, which lasts us 2 nights each. Bulk buying the meat works out cheaper as well (even from the supermarket). I do cheat a little and use frozen chopped peppers and onions (though it could actually work out cheaper than fresh).

If you're on facebook there's the page "Dump bags" with a smiley face at the end. There are lots of recipes under files there and people often post pictures of their dump bags after prepping them. Any other questions please ask.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 13th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    2 loads of laundry done today. One load has been dried on the line outside, the other on the indoor clothes horse. No tumble dryer has been used again I hope I'll notice a difference with the electricity bill!!

I have also decided on 8 different dump meals to make at the end of the month. I'm aiming that these will then last until the beginning of 2017 with the ones I already have in the freezer. I may add another 4 or so before December though! The dump meals I've decided on are:
    • Beef with ginger and spring onions,
    • Italian chicken,
    • BBQ bacon wrapped chicken with veg,
    • Sticky Garlic chicken,
    • Pork and orange,
    • Balsamic braised beef,
    • Chinese beef noodles,
    • Shredded Chilli Chicken.

I've placed a Tesco grocery order for 2 weeks time that includes the ingredients for all these meals.

Today hasn't quite been a nsd. There has been a book fayre at school this week and it's the last day today. I decided to pop in and buy one book for ds, particularly as the school get to keep a percentage of all books sold. The book we chose was £5.99 and then when I took it to the teacher to pay for, she said that there was a £2 voucher off that particular book so it was only £3.99! I'm pleased with that!

After that we went to the library and we've just had quiet time since getting home. We read through the book we bought at school twice, and now ds is watching a Thomas the Tank film on Netflix.

I'm having lots of movement up at the top of my stomach now, under my ribs, so I'm really hoping it means that baby has turned and is now the correct way! My next midwife appointment is in 2 weeks time so hopefully I'll find out then.

My matalan clothes haven't arrived, so hopefully they will tomorrow. They're my excuse for not sorting the hospital bags out today I'm definitely a lot more laid back this time with regards to getting things ready for baby!!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 14th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Dh's pay today. The money has gone in and is waiting for the end of the month now!

I logged in to my swagbuck account last night for the first time in a very long time. I've managed to collect over 200 swagbucks since, and am almost up at 500. I think that when I get enough I will convert them to M&S vouchers as I already have a £25 voucher which will be spent on Christmas food so will be able to add to that. The only issue with it is how long the surveys take and how many you get screened out of! It's a long process!

I have no idea what our plans are for today other than ds in school this afternoon! Dh is painting our bedroom tomorrow so I do need a quick sort out so that it's tidy for him to move furniture. I've seen an advert for a local pyo pumpkin afternoon tomorrow, so I think I'all take ds along to that whilst dh is painting.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 14th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I spent the whole time ds was at school on swagbucks! I earned enough 'bucks' for my £5 M&S voucher. It takes up to 2 weeks for it to become available. After that I will have £30 in M&S vouchers to put towards Christmas food! Will have to arrange a time to go to a food one with dh and stock up on non-perishable foods. Drinks, pickles, meat to be frozen, nibbles, etc.

I've also had a letter today showing by how much our Dentist is going up in the new year. We pay Denplan, and I've always just figured that we'd need to pay for NHS appointments anyway, and then more for treatment if we needed it so there was no point looking for an NHS dentist. Well I've just totted up how much we pay per year now, and how much we would pay if we were NHS, and had 2 appointments each per year. Over the year Denplan will be costing us £326.88 (£27.24 per month). The NHS (just for appointments) would cost is £54 per year (£4.50 per month). That's quite different. If we needed a filling or something (dh has one, I haven't had one since I was in my late teens) it would be an extra £29.50. Still much less that going private.

I'm going to ring around on Tuesday (work Monday) to see whether the local NHS dentists have any spaces, and if not what sort of waiting list we're looking at. I'm then going to cancel our private care. Over £20 per month saved. (and free appointments for ds for lots of years, and for me until baby is 12 months old).

I'm really starting to run out of places to save money! With the new dentist cost per month (I'd save it every month), it would mean that I would need to bring in £478.07 per month for us to break even (but that's without us scrimping anywhere.......with money for everything we want). Maternity pay is more than that (and I'm supposed to be getting 90% for the first 6 weeks). It means that the pressure is off when I'm back looking for a job in September, and can work part time without the pressure of going back to teaching if I choose not to.

We're having a naughty dinner tonight.....pizza night. We were going to have the pizzas tomorrow once ds was in bed, but dh is now going out to a rugby game (that we won tickets to - and it's his favourite team!) with his Dad so we've decided to have them tonight after ds's swimming.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 15th Oct 16, 5:45 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I had confirmation last night of ds's swimming amount for the next half term. £45.50! Paid that off with the money already sitting in the account. I'm so proud of my son with his swimming. They were practising the butterfly last night (I have never been able to do that) and diving in (or that either!) and his instructor said that he couldn't teach him fast enough. Ds has only just turned 3! These swimming lessons cost a lot but he is getting so much out of them. Worth every penny! Dh then went to Morrisons and bought 40 cans of lager for £20, which will now be put away for Christmas. All that has been updated on ynab.

I've been on swagbuck this morning already and have made around 30 swagbucks. There's no way I can dedicate the time I did yesterday to it every day, but if I manage 30 swagbucks a day it will mean a £5 voucher per month, which I'm very happy with.

I'm still waiting for my prolific amounts to become payable, which is getting annoying! It is done automatically after 3 weeks I think if it hasn't already happened, so will be done by the end of the month. I'm also up to over £24 on onepoll. It can take a very long time, but I'm aiming to be at £40 by the new year.

Dh is going to paint our bedroom today. I'm all excited about getting it done now and getting the new lampshades, etc up. I'd love a new throw to out on the bed, but it's not going to happen this month (or next probably!!). I guess it's not a priority, just something that would be nice!

Dh is going out to the rugby tonight, which means a quiet night in alone (well with ds in bed!). If only I could crack open a bottle of wine I have chocolates, I have a big bag of crisps, I just need to decide what could be dinner first!

I may take ds to pyo pumpkin this afternoon, whilst dh is painting. I think he'll enjoy.
    • Katzen
    • By Katzen 15th Oct 16, 6:03 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,604 Thanks
    Katzen
    Morning MrsS!
    Glad to see I'm not the only early bird. Been awake since my 20months old woke at 4 for a feed and just couldn't get back to sleep. I'm also 11weeks pregnant so that probably hasn't helped. I shall be following you carefully, as I'm also planning my mat leave from teaching and considering the possibilities of not going back. How is it even possible to be a half-way decent mother and a passable teacher?!? Well done on cutting your denplan, I hope you find a decent NHS dentist near you. Mine is lovely and there's always the option to pay for a private treatment, like a white filling, if you want to, which would probably still be cheaper as it sounds like you guys have pretty decent teeth!! Private insurance for stuff like that is a waste of time so long as you can find an alternative without long waits etc.
    Anyway, things to do, I'm getting to grips with quidco and ziffit this morning. Enjoy the rest of your day
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 15th Oct 16, 7:30 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning,

Love your goals for next year Hun and well done on the the saving on the private care.

You've been fairly busy this past few days, hope you've managed to get some rest too.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 15th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Sounds like you've a yummy Christmas planned. Your making me want frackers and cheese and chutney.

Hope your bedroom coming along. You'll sleep well tonight in your new pretty room. X
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Morning MrsS!
    Glad to see I'm not the only early bird. Been awake since my 20months old woke at 4 for a feed and just couldn't get back to sleep. I'm also 11weeks pregnant so that probably hasn't helped. I shall be following you carefully, as I'm also planning my mat leave from teaching and considering the possibilities of not going back. How is it even possible to be a half-way decent mother and a passable teacher?!? Well done on cutting your denplan, I hope you find a decent NHS dentist near you. Mine is lovely and there's always the option to pay for a private treatment, like a white filling, if you want to, which would probably still be cheaper as it sounds like you guys have pretty decent teeth!! Private insurance for stuff like that is a waste of time so long as you can find an alternative without long waits etc.
    Anyway, things to do, I'm getting to grips with quidco and ziffit this morning. Enjoy the rest of your day
    Originally posted by Katzen
    Congratulations! Teaching full time is difficult enough, but can be very difficult with a young family. After having ds I said I wasn't going to go back full time, but then got offered a 0.8 contract for 6 weeks. I thought the money would be good, but the 6 weeks lasted a whole year with an inspection in the middle. I'm not going to be back doing the same thing after this little one arrives. 3 days max, and whether it will be teaching or not......who knows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

753Posts Today

5,697Users online

Martin's Twitter