Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 16th Jul 16, 8:03 PM
    • 3,236Posts
    • 13,060Thanks
    *Robin*
    Blowing in the Winds of Change
    • 16th Jul 16, 8:03 PM
    Blowing in the Winds of Change 16th Jul 16 at 8:03 PM
    A brace of raptors soaring in the breeze over the Nest just after dawn on Solstice morning gifted me the title of this, my reprise into MSE's Diary-world.

I'd had little sleep. Partly because, well, Solstice is a special day and the night had been filled with memories of happier years, and partly because it seemed that my faithful companion was rushing towards The Light, her paws galloping in the air as she dreamed contentedly beside me.
    I was exhausted. Fear of what might come to pass if my dear girl's last, eternal bed had not been prepared before she was ready to cross Rainbow Bridge loaned me energy I could not afford; each day a single bucket of stony earth was added to a pile beside the chosen resting place.
    Dear Vet had nothing more to offer beyond comforting words and her promise to attend should the need arise, any time day or night.

DS1 rescued me. He called to offer salutations not long after sunrise; apparently I was making no sense at all on the 'phone which led to a prompt visit - tools in hand - and the job was completed before the day's end.
    Bless him.

Although resigned to the inevitable at that point, Clever Dog was not in pain so I decided to delay departure from the Nest until she had no more need of my staying. Her behaviour in the van suggested she would not welcome another long distance adventure and obviously, I did not wish to cause her any distress during her last days in this realm.** Despite Divo Four and Dear Relative's increasingly urgent requests for my presence at homehome, the weeks passed and each day the mercury in the thermometer rose higher.

Meanwhile I have not been paying attention to financial matters since giving up m' previous diary: A bank card expired so I could no longer check that account. The gizmo for signing into another stopped working, but CD and I have been living comfortably on our £400 per month allowance - half of it spent on her medications and the best diet, another £50 on storage for the camper-van, and the rest - well I can't really remember, but there always seemed to be funds left in our 'daily' account when it came time to turn another page on the calendar.

There's nothing praise-worthy about that though; it's easy to rack up NSDs when one has no energy to go out except on essential missions, and there's a plentiful supply of veg in the garden (mostly planted for me by a couple of winter visitors).
    "Garden" is perhaps no longer the right description for the wilderness which surrounds the Nest; I have not had the strength to undo Ex-Gardener's neglect (I forgave him, vastly overpaid him, but he lied and then stole from me so there was no choice but to terminate his employment, alas. I still feel very sad about that ending).

Eventually DS4 lost patience. He 'phoned with two pieces of wonderful news: A double-first [justifying his decision to rack up a relatively modest student loan], and notification of his imminent arrival!

We brushed the spiders gently out of camper-van, and went for a trial night away locally. CD amazed me; apparently quite happy to travel and potter about when we stopped. Maybe her vocal objections to being in the other van [**] were due to the fact that most of her trips out this year have ended at DV's clinic, being prodded, poked and stabbed (for blood tests)?

Plumber put on his Mechanic's hat to check camper-van's travel worthiness, resulting in a trip to the garage for a little preventative maintenance and a service - which wiped out all the cash saved by living parsimoniously over the last six months. Plumber was incandescent at the size of the bill when he saw they'd replaced some good parts while failing to fix the actual fault; must say communication between the booking-in chap and mechanic was appalling, especially given that this was at the regional main dealer.
    <sigh> Not very MSE but I just wanted to get out of there so paid up (after they replaced the faulty bearing!). Oh well.

The thought of driving all the way to the Chunnel filled me with trepidation - just don't have enough strength for such sustained effort these days, and DS4 hasn't held a full licence for long enough to be covered by insurance abroad.
    So I called the ferry company. Usually, pet-friendly cabins are booked up half a year in advance, but CD is still remembered (it's partly due to her Houdini behaviour in bygone days that pet-friendly cabins were introduced).
    Result: They found us a cabin on next week's boat!

Now I am [supposed to be] packing. Camper-van is parked in the village; CD and I slept there last night, and I started this diary to help m' poor-ol' brain-fogged mind keep track.
    The acquaintance who outed me at the beginning of the year has not been in touch since, although half a dozen RL mates around the World did express their regret that I'd given up my first MSE diary. So much for anonymity - have decided I really don't care, because the support of all you MSEers is of inestimable value..
    Last edited by *Robin*; 29-07-2016 at 1:20 PM.
Page 19
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 12th Jan 18, 7:57 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Morning Robin - just caught up on your alarms and excursions - sounds like a bit of weather is going on! Meaning shoes are definitely a gift from the weather gods 💦🌨❄️. Lurcher lad is curious to know - what is a puppy park?! He knows about parks (places with lots of things to sniff and pee on) and puppies ( little annoying things that either roll over and make you sniff their tummies, or bounce in your face and need a loud telling off) but the two together is an unknown concept. He wonders if itís a bit like a beach?!
    Good on vet for looking into the effect of things vets donít prescribe. No comment on the gas shenanigans- suffice to say dd never sorted her European gas supply having encountered very similar levels of non-support ☹️ Van gas remains on uk connector and water is boiled on a rocket stove. Glad youíre safely back at the cottages hope you and M have a lovely day x
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 30,985 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ooh good news on the Ä50 and shoes

Not so good on the gas front though
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £106.40
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 6
    Weight loss 2.5/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £0/£900
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 17th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,236 Posts
    • 13,060 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello MSE World,

Morning Robin
    Originally posted by Dansmam
    'Morning Dansmam,

just caught up on your alarms and excursions - sounds like a bit of weather is going on! Meaning shoes are definitely a gift from the weather gods
    It's been the best type of rain so far; not so much a deluge that water just runs straight off the surface into the rivers and lost at sea - often carrying precious fertile topsoil with it - but gentler and more persistent, soaking into the grateful land. Amazing.

Lurcher lad is curious to know - what is a puppy park?! He knows about parks (places with lots of things to sniff and pee on) and puppies ( little annoying things that either roll over and make you sniff their tummies, or bounce in your face and need a loud telling off) but the two together is an unknown concept. He wonders if it’s a bit like a beach?!
    Rowf! Puppy park is fun, Lurcher Lad, is good. Special guarded place in town just for pups - young and growed-up. Huge running space free, lots of sniffing places and marking places and water places and also people games* and bestist - lots of new pups to play with! People bring pups from all over for safe running so always find new big energy fast mates there. Also old wobbly cuddly pups get lots of love from all pups' peoples, baby pups get exploring World with other babies - not lonely for first paw-family so much.
    Is my favourite place 'specially when Mistress puts moving-home by gate - then know soon am getting lots of running playing all day and probably tomorrow too. Much better than beach.

* Agility equipment.

Good on vet for looking into the effect of things vets don’t prescribe.
    Yes, DV is very enlightened in that way - she is genuinely interested in "alternatives" which is a wonderfully refreshing viewpoint to find in an allopathic trained vet (or doctor!). Well worth the long drive to work with her.

No comment on the gas shenanigans- suffice to say dd never sorted her European gas supply having encountered very similar levels of non-support ☹️ Van gas remains on uk connector and water is boiled on a rocket stove.
    Ah, following extensive research I may possibly have come across a solution. Will let you know next week; ordered - at vast expense - a piece of kit which purports to facilitate connection between van's fixed UK system and local bottles. We'll see.

Glad you’re safely back at the cottages hope you and M have a lovely day x
    Am getting used to being here without DH. It is finally time to accept his absence, while appreciating the things he loved about this little village - all his life he was restless, but here he said he felt 'at home' which, I've realised, is now important to me.

Lots of Spanish part-time neighbours turned up at the weekend; it was a big moment for the local organic avocado co-op to which they all belong - several chilled containers to fill, destined for up-market German and French clients. Over three intense days the orchards have been harvested by extended families working together, so the village has been filled with chatter and laughter from first light.
    Musketeer got a lot of attention. In UK eyes he's just a misbegotten mutt, but Andalusian farmers see a handsome young hound bred to guard, to hunt.. I was questioned closely about the boar sign M shows me every day, and told he needs a kennel near the houses so that he can do his job properly. Of course that also involves spending his days on a chain and nights running loose - so ain't going to happen while he's in my care.
    The piggies are definitely still hiding in the ravine, emerging at night to feast on fallen avocados, carobs, olives and acorns. Have realised the locals quietly intend to leave them to fatten up for now - but Daddy boar will have to watch out during the last couple of weeks of the hunting season - they have plans for him!

Ooh good news on the €50 and shoes

Not so good on the gas front though
    by Sun Addict
    Hello Sun.A,
    Yes that 50€ note made a big difference to getting through this month, although I have also accepted the charge of looking after DS3's Summer-getting-to-work fund, which helps me out and means he can't be tempted to blow it while on holiday. They've installed a house-sitter to look after GrandPup and the gardens; a lovely keen young man who hopefully will be coming to work in the garden here too. Have decided my asparagus plantation and most precious young trees which are small enough to transplant will have to come here, as I have not yet found anywhere else to start a new project.
    So far nobody has called about those shoes, although they are actually a little large for me so having been cleaned they are in reserve, for now.
    Keeping fingers crossed re solution to gas problem - but the young lady who took my order was full of confidence, so last night I splurged some of my precious limited supply on cooking a medley of veg for dinner. Really enjoyed not having salad, for a change!
    Last edited by *Robin*; 17-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,606Users online

Martin's Twitter