Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 15th Jul 16, 6:48 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 38Thanks
    MSE Faye
    0 WOW
    Lowcostholidays collapses your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos
    • 15th Jul 16, 6:48 PM
    0 WOW
    Lowcostholidays collapses your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos 15th Jul 16 at 6:48 PM
    The travel plans of 140,000 holidaymakers have been thrown into chaos by the collapse of the online travel agent...
    Read the full story:
    'Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 18-07-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 41
    • Lachlan90
    • By Lachlan90 25th Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lachlan90
    Thanks for the reply. Paypal has said we may get our money back soon but even then who knows what amount the hotel will ask for. They asked for our voucher but we didnt have it on us then weren't asked about it again.
    A few weeks later i received an email saying they hadnt received payment from the 3rd party and asked if we would pay. I just think even if we do receive a refund shouldn't they have had us pay before leaving i cant see how we would be required to pay now. Thanks for any help.
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 25th Sep 16, 12:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Angie Read
    So good to hear that the first to claim are able to keep their money. Only another 25 days for me to wait.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 25th Sep 16, 12:47 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Thanks for the reply. Paypal has said we may get our money back soon but even then who knows what amount the hotel will ask for. They asked for our voucher but we didnt have it on us then weren't asked about it again.
    A few weeks later i received an email saying they hadnt received payment from the 3rd party and asked if we would pay. I just think even if we do receive a refund shouldn't they have had us pay before leaving i cant see how we would be required to pay now. Thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by Lachlan90
    Have you still got a copy of your original booking information? I would assume that they cannot ask for any more than the original payment in this instance (be aware of exchange rate fluctuations though). When you have received your refund from Paypal seeing as you will not end up out of pocket I suggest you offer it to the hotel and see what they say. I would assume they will take it, but make sure you get it in writing from them that they are happy that any bill has been settled. It is looking increasingly likely that the hotels are realising that they are not going to get anything from the administrators, so if they have your contact details, are trying to recoup their losses. As to whether or not they legally can is anyone's guess though.

If for any reason Paypal don't pay because technically you got what you paid for (be prepared for this eventuality, they are checking all claims) then you might want to contact Citizens Advice 03454 04 05 06. Very difficult situation to be in I'm afraid and I hope it gets sorted.
    • jd87
    • By jd87 1st Oct 16, 12:44 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    jd87
    Can anyone advise on the following situation?

I made a hotel only booking with Lowcostholidays for travel in August. The booking was cancelled and I had to pay the hotel again directly when I was there. I made a chargeback claim via my Tesco Credit Card which was resolved after a few weeks and the money was fully refunded to my account.

I've now received a letter from Tesco Bank saying that the retailer have challenged the chargeback saying that "the disputed amount is incorrect and the flights were available to be used". An enclosed document says:

"The seller replied with additional information regarding this transaction. We have received details from the administrator of Low Cost Travel on the status of fulfilled and unfulfilled bookings. This information specifically highlights that portions of the booking have been fulfilled. We are therefore limiting the refund to the amount that is eligible and disputing the remaining amount [amount]GBP. The chargeback needs to be adjusted..."

I need to respond to Tesco within 10 days, Surely this is some sort of mistake? I booked a hotel only and I didn't get the hotel reservation I had paid for. What can the administrator possibly claim has been fulfilled??!

• N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 3rd Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    Can anyone advise on the following situation?

I made a hotel only booking with Lowcostholidays for travel in August. The booking was cancelled and I had to pay the hotel again directly when I was there. I made a chargeback claim via my Tesco Credit Card which was resolved after a few weeks and the money was fully refunded to my account.

I've now received a letter from Tesco Bank saying that the retailer have challenged the chargeback saying that "the disputed amount is incorrect and the flights were available to be used". An enclosed document says:

"The seller replied with additional information regarding this transaction. We have received details from the administrator of Low Cost Travel on the status of fulfilled and unfulfilled bookings. This information specifically highlights that portions of the booking have been fulfilled. We are therefore limiting the refund to the amount that is eligible and disputing the remaining amount [amount]GBP. The chargeback needs to be adjusted..."

I need to respond to Tesco within 10 days, Surely this is some sort of mistake? I booked a hotel only and I didn't get the hotel reservation I had paid for. What can the administrator possibly claim has been fulfilled??!
    Originally posted by jd87
    Send them a polite letter explaining that there must be some sort of error and enclose a copy of the original booking information. It sounds like a genuine error. Send it recorded delivery if you are posting, or call them and send it to someone who can acknowledge receipt. If this doesn't work, raise it as a complaint as if it is not resolved then you can take your case to the ombudsmen.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 5th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 8,374 Posts
    • 11,943 Thanks
    meer53
    Letter from Halifax today to say they are refunding me the full amount i paid for our accomodation. Claimed on 3 August, so it's taken a while !
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 7th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Angie Read
    Anybody else waited their 45 days to see if they can keep their money/refund from a debit card payment yet please? I mean....... had an answer as to whether they can keep it or not? Only seen one person on here say yes so far. Thanks.
    Last edited by Angie Read; 07-10-2016 at 7:14 PM. Reason: Add extra text
    • David1917
    • By David1917 9th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    David1917
    I read the 45 day timescale was just what the merchant bank has to collate information and respond. Not for the full duration of the claim. I received my refund from barclays on 9 august and in their letter they stated if i had not heard from them by 1 november, I could consider the claim succesful. I think angie no news is good news, in that if claims weren't being succesful people would be posting, but not so much if they get to keep their money!
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 9th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Angie Read
    Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Well, I received the money back in my bank (Nationwide) on 4th September and received a letter to confirm this dated 5th September. When I rang to ask how long would it be before I knew I could definitely keep it I was told that if I'd not heard anything from the bank by that time (21st October) then the money was mine to keep. I guess it's the same muddled scenario as the whole affair has been from day one. Maybe I'll just give them a ring after that date. Fingers crossed.
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 24th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Angie Read
    Great news today.......My 45 day wait is up and my Lowcost Holidays refund from the Nationwide is mine to keep. Soooo pleased. Japan - here I come.

Massive thank you's to Money Saving Expert; Martin; Natalie and everyone else who commented on here. Thanks guys. Hope everyone else is having the same luck.
    • dti2k
    • By dti2k 24th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    dti2k
    Great news today.......My 45 day wait is up and my Lowcost Holidays refund from the Nationwide is mine to keep. Soooo pleased. Japan - here I come.

Massive thank you's to Money Saving Expert; Martin; Natalie and everyone else who commented on here. Thanks guys. Hope everyone else is having the same luck.
    Originally posted by Angie Read
    I'm with Nationwide and I thought the wait was 120 days?
    I will check my letter later today.
    Competition Wins:
    2011: 4 British Airways Flights to Sydney, Australia.
    2014: Turtle Lego Set.
    • PaulyD
    • By PaulyD 24th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PaulyD
    Just passed the 45 days here also and no counter claim from LCH. Holiday has now already been and gone and happy to not have to worry about paying for it again! Many thanks to all on here for their advice and good luck to those still waiting
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 24th Oct 16, 11:50 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Angie Read
    Hi,
    No, it's only 45 days. I enquired especially because I needed to know I had the money back for definite so I could pay the final balance on my new holiday which was due on Thursday 27th October.

Nationwide were quoting 120 days to cover for any unforeseen delays but when I explained that I needed a final decision asap I was told it's actually only 45 days from the date on the letter you received confirming your refund.

My refund was made to my bank account on 4th September and my letter confirming it was dated 5th September so I had worked out that my 45 days was up on 21st October. I rang on Friday (21st) and was told that I was still only on day 0 of my 45 day countdown and that Lowcost holidays could still refute my claim up until midnight on 21st October but after that..........as soon as I was on day -1.........the money was mine if no objection was made.

Obviously I couldn't ring at the weekend as they weren't open so I called again this morning (24th October) and yes....the money is definitely mine to keep. Just call 01793 275375 (the number on your refund confirmation letter) and ask. As long as you are making a valid claim you should have no problem.

Good luck.
    • DebHiton
    • By DebHiton 26th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DebHiton
    Section 75 dispute over lowcostholiday
    Hi
    I'm new to the forums but wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I've made a claim under Section 75 to reclaim the money I paid to Lowcostholidays on my Santander credit card. I booked a flight and hotel together, costing 1,900. They've refunded me the cost of the hotel but not the flights.

The explanation I've been given is that the flights could still be used as it wasn't Ryanair that went into liquidation. I've tried explaining that I couldn't use the flights as I didn't have the hotel but that hasn't made a difference. Santander have advised me to go to Trading Sandards but I don't understand why they're not refunding me the whole cost of the holiday.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 26th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    You didn't buy a holiday.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • DebHiton
    • By DebHiton 26th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DebHiton
    Thanks, richardw, but can you explain why that's relevant? I booked a flight and hotel as a package.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 26th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 17,338 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Hi
    I'm new to the forums but wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I've made a claim under Section 75 to reclaim the money I paid to Lowcostholidays on my Santander credit card. I booked a flight and hotel together, costing 1,900. They've refunded me the cost of the hotel but not the flights.

The explanation I've been given is that the flights could still be used as it wasn't Ryanair that went into liquidation. I've tried explaining that I couldn't use the flights as I didn't have the hotel but that hasn't made a difference. Santander have advised me to go to Trading Sandards but I don't understand why they're not refunding me the whole cost of the holiday.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by DebHiton
    What was stopping you booking another hotel?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • DebHiton
    • By DebHiton 26th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DebHiton
    I'd paid the full price of the flight and hotel. I wasn't in a financial position to book another hotel at such short notice and, when looking for something appropriate with a week's notice, there was nothing available at a price I could afford. On that basis, we couldn't use the flights.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 26th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    You didn't book a package and didn't get ATOL protection.
    S75 covers you even if the accommodation costs more, see the MSE news story.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 26th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thanks, richardw, but can you explain why that's relevant? I booked a flight and hotel as a package.
    Originally posted by DebHiton
    No you booked a flight, and you booked a hotel. It wasn't a package. Your flights were unaffected and still available for use. Ryanair did nothing wrong. They didn't breach their contract and there is nothing to be covered under a Section 75 claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

6,830Users online

Martin's Twitter