Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 15th Jul 16, 6:48 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 33Thanks
    MSE Faye
    0 WOW
    Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos
    • 15th Jul 16, 6:48 PM
    0 WOW
    Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos 15th Jul 16 at 6:48 PM
    The travel plans of 140,000 holidaymakers have been thrown into chaos by the collapse of the online travel agent...
    Read the full story:
    'Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 18-07-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 40
    • Delete33
    • By Delete33 13th Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Delete33
    Have received my money back through Halifax complaints team, who were brilliant. Applied for a charge-back on my Visa debit card on 2nd August at my local branch, know body contacted me for a month ? I contacted Resolver on this website and the Halifax complaints team contacted me the next day, I sent all the relevant documents to my adviser ( who was brilliant ) within 4 days I have been told Halifax will refund the cost of my Holiday and in addition another £130 because of the stress involved and the amount of time lapsed, this compensation also includes expenses for any Telephone calls and visiting my local branch and of course the initial non contact as promised. I am delighted with the outcome, thank you Resolver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Delete33
    • By Delete33 13th Sep 16, 11:04 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Delete33
    Hi Folks, just checked my Bank Account with Halifax and the payment is in Plus £150 compensation Whey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer :
    • whitewater
    • By whitewater 13th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    whitewater
    Just had a call from sainsburys.

LCH replied in regards to the chargeback, but with little information so sainsburys have stated that the credit will stand unless they provide further information to dispute the credit.

Anyone had any similar?
    • deddogblues
    • By deddogblues 13th Sep 16, 6:12 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    deddogblues
    I put in a visa charge back claim to Nationwide shortly after LCH went into administration. I received a request for more information at the beginning of August which I sent a couple of weeks later.
    Today I received all my money back, a total of £474.78 and the hotel room that I re booked was £200 less than the original booking.
    • Lincolnlady
    • By Lincolnlady 16th Sep 16, 1:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lincolnlady
    I had an email yesterday from the administrators which said
    IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A REFUND FROM YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD PROVIDER, INSURER OR BY OTHER MEANS, YOU ARE NO LONGER A CREDITOR OF THE COMPANY AND THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT APPLY.
    I presume from this that charge backs will not be contested otherwise you'd become a creditor again.
    • PaulyD
    • By PaulyD 16th Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PaulyD
    I also received this email and was thinking along the same lines.

To those who posted earlier in the thread back in early August, have any of you guys had the claim contested?
    • glenwells
    • By glenwells 18th Sep 16, 7:25 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    glenwells
    Hi

I too got that message from the administrators

“ IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A REFUND FROM YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD PROVIDER, INSURER OR BY OTHER MEANS, YOU ARE NO LONGER A CREDITOR OF THE COMPANY AND THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT APPLY.

I hope that I am wrong but does that means some people have been paid out in full already - 'no longer creditors' will be accounted for out of the dwindling bond.
    If so banks like Barclays that have been messing people around have yet to claim a piece of what is left from that £1mill bond for their customers?
    It would explain why Barclays have not paid out (many!) customers as they are waiting for that meeting to take place. As in the administrators meeting to vote on directives of how to proceed to pay off companies then people they owe money to. If it is the case then Barclays customers are going to get sod all from what is left due to the bank taking months+ to 'investigate' their customers claims!

When I do get the bums rush from Barclays I am alomst looking forward to informing them of the amount of my business they are going to lose as a result. My anger is of course directed at Lowcost holidays primarily - I hate being ripped off!!
    It does seem more likely that Barlcays customers will be last to the buffet table and nothing will be left?
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 18th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    LCH Bond & Barclays
    Interesting posts about the bond. With my limited understanding of company insolvency, any claims made through credit/debit cards would not come from the bond, I think from what I have read (there are a few articles on the web relating to chargebacks when Comet went under) the money comes from any remaining assets the company has before it is allowed to be officially be dissolved.

It seems pretty obvious that if you got a refund from another source that you would no longer be entitled to anything from the administrators and for those with no other means of redress they may get something in addition to the pittance from the bond. Also looking at the email I'd say that the meeting is for creditors of LCH and has nothing to do with the bond which should probably be totally separate.

As for Barclays, maybe time to chase Faye at MSE as there was supposed to be an update given in an article 30 August on the main site from them and they seem to have avoided it. Other banks have been a lot better about this. Maybe contact them and make sure you use the word 'complaint' to make sure they action your enquiry.
    Last edited by N4t4lie; 18-09-2016 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Additional information added.
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 19th Sep 16, 7:24 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    MSE Faye
    Just to confirm what N4t4lie has said, I spoke to the administrators on Friday and they confirmed that banks and card providers who refund customers via S75/Chargeback will themselves become creditors of Lowcost. So as far as I am aware, the Spanish bond would be unaffected.

Following up with Barclays is also on our to-do lists.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 19th Sep 16, 2:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Angie Read
    Hi everyone,
    Only just discovered this forum and wish I'd come across it earlier. Like everyone else I've played the waiting game and continue to do so what with the 45 day wait after my full refund from Nationwide. Fingers crossed for a good final result but it's been saddening and heartening to read everybody's posts. Like others on here I'm waiting to hear if anyone has their refund taken back by the bank. Nationwide told me when I phoned that once they'd received funds back (from Lowcost's bank or the merchant acquirer??) in respect of the first customer's claim they (Nationwide) had paid out on - then a precedent had been set so provided we are all making valid claims then we should hopefully be lucky too. It's been a nightmare for all involved but let's hope we can all soon enjoy the holiday that we wanted and deserve. Will be keeping up with Martin and his great advice.
    • shaggymcfc73
    • By shaggymcfc73 19th Sep 16, 2:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    shaggymcfc73
    have you had a refund yet?
    hi there I believe your right with the level of money being claimed as we are trying to claim 2240 and keep getting asked to send more and more information and most of the info they already have but I think its a stalling tactic.
    However 4 weeks ago we were told over the phone by a member of Barclays that we had been awarded a full refund and it would be paid into our account within 14 days and nothing paid rang them back for them to deny all knowledge of the conversation
    • shaggymcfc73
    • By shaggymcfc73 19th Sep 16, 2:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    shaggymcfc73
    still no refund
    Just an update on my claim I was promised a refund over the phone and now Barclays are denying all knowledge of the call ever taking place and that nothing has been awarded to me!!!
    I submitted the claim on the 18-7-16 and Barclays are now really stringing me along asking for all kinds of info that they already have I believe it to be a stalling tactic by them also costing me a lot of money in sending the info recorded delivery!!

has anyone else been promised a refund only to be told they know nothing about it??

Really how can some banks pay and some treat their customers with such lack of repect!!

Well i've just got off the phone with Barclays and its looking like im going to be refunded the total of £2245 for hotel and transfers in the next 2 weeks. They said that the case has been investigated and its been awarded in my favour. I started the claim on the 18th july so there's hope for everyone still in limbo.
    I paid on a debit card in March and thought I'd lost the lot!!
    Hopefully it will be in my account before we go on Monday as we have to pay for the hotel again which was going to be paid on a credit card!!
    All I need now is HSBC to pay out the other £1000 on another debit card I used to pay for the holiday.
    Hope everyone gets sorted and paid out, and if I ever meet that paul evans itll be a day to remember #hospitalfoodforlife
    Originally posted by shaggymcfc73
    • Angie Read
    • By Angie Read 19th Sep 16, 3:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Angie Read
    Hi. Yes, I got this too. I was a little concerned because although I've had my refund in full from Nationwide - my "45 day wait" to see whether I'm allowed to keep the money won't be up until 21st October.
    With the administrators meeting now scheduled for 29th September and all creditors advised that "if we have received a refund from our bank or credit card company we are no longer deemed to be a creditor" I was a little worried. Should I notify them I've received a full refund or not???? Although I've got my money back - will I be able to keep it??? Who knows..... until 21st October gets here!! Natalie has very kindly replied and suggested that I remain as a creditor until after the 22nd October - just to be on the safe side.
    I've gone out on a limb and reserved a like for like booking but on slightly different dates and reserved it with a deposit. The final balance on the new holiday is due on 27th October so it looks like hopefully I'll scrape through just in time. Like many others on here - I need to know this money back is definitely MINE before I pay out in full again. Fingers crossed all goes well but at least I've booked directly with British Airways this time so lesson learnt.
    Having said that, I had travelled with Lowcost twice before in the fairly distant past but had no idea they'd run off to Spain and were no longer ATOL protected. I just assumed they still were and I'm pretty damned sure I saw something about ATOL on their homepage as others on Lowcost Facebook have said they did too.
    On top of all this I had actually paid extra on my insurance policy specifically for Insolvency cover but no surprise........... I could only claim off it AFTER I have gone through all this rigmarole and tried to get the money back any which way I could by myself and then......... have written proof that I'm unable to get my money back from Lowcost, the administrators, my bank or my card provider etc. Only then could I make a claim BUT I had to make a claim within 6 months or lose out on the chance. Not much hope of getting a payout from the Spanish government or the administrators in that time lol.
    Still, from what I've read on here now things sound promising. Let's hope so.
    • N4t4lie
    • By N4t4lie 19th Sep 16, 4:42 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    N4t4lie
    hi there I believe your right with the level of money being claimed as we are trying to claim 2240 and keep getting asked to send more and more information and most of the info they already have but I think its a stalling tactic.
    However 4 weeks ago we were told over the phone by a member of Barclays that we had been awarded a full refund and it would be paid into our account within 14 days and nothing paid rang them back for them to deny all knowledge of the conversation
    Originally posted by shaggymcfc73
    As a bank they should record all telephone calls. Give them a ring and make a complaint. They should have a log of all your calls and should investigate if you have been mislead. If they refuse, get it in writing and go to the ombudsmen. Make sure you are clear that you are making a complaint and that you would like the reply in writing.
    • Weezy79
    • By Weezy79 20th Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Weezy79
    Bit of good news. Spoke to Halifax yesterday as the 45 days were up and I was told that as the claim had not been disputed by LCH it was safe to say that they would not be taking the refund back out of my account. Good luck to them if they try, as its getting changed into euros this afternoon Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and thanks to MSE for the advice!
    • makemerich12
    • By makemerich12 21st Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    makemerich12
    Been told my Barclays to wait a further 23 days
    • meer53
    • By meer53 22nd Sep 16, 11:33 AM
    • 8,212 Posts
    • 11,620 Thanks
    meer53
    I've just called Halifax Card Services, again, about my claim. I submitted it on 3 Aug. Paid on my Clarity Card. I've called every week for the last 4 weeks and been told there is a delay and to allow them more time. I've now logged a complaint, i think 7 weeks is plenty of time to allow them. I've had one email from them in 7 weeks which went straight into my junk folder as it came through as $resolvemydispute !

Really poor customer service. They're very polite on the phone but nowt ever gets done !
    • anasoares
    • By anasoares 24th Sep 16, 2:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anasoares
    Hello,
    I paid a reservation in a hotel with debit mastercard, but last week the bank called me saying the chargeback was refused! They will keep with the process, but my hopes are low. Did anyone fill out the forms the administrators send? The lodgement of claim and the proxy form? Have no idea how to fill the last one...
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Sep 16, 2:26 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Hello,
    I paid a reservation in a hotel with debit mastercard, but last week the bank called me saying the chargeback was refused! They will keep with the process, but my hopes are low. Did anyone fill out the forms the administrators send? The lodgement of claim and the proxy form? Have no idea how to fill the last one...
    Originally posted by anasoares
    Did you pay through Lowcost? why was it refused?
    • anasoares
    • By anasoares 24th Sep 16, 2:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anasoares
    I booked through hoteling.com ... The bank just told me that they (I suppose lowcost administration) are not as for this moment accepting chargebacks, whatever that means... and told me to send a new e-mail contesting the decision so the process could keep going. But as there is no legal protection, I shouldn't expect a favorable decision!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,879Posts Today

6,935Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin