Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 15th Jul 16, 1:09 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 2Thanks
    tommy2k8
    Letter or email?
    • 15th Jul 16, 1:09 PM
    Letter or email? 15th Jul 16 at 1:09 PM
    When applying for a general job (asking for any vacancies available) can I have people's views please on whether it is better to apply by email or letter?
Page 1
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 15th Jul 16, 1:16 PM
    • 20,507 Posts
    • 35,078 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 15th Jul 16, 1:16 PM
    • 15th Jul 16, 1:16 PM
    In the past i would have always said you write a letter. I was always taught that you write a letter in your very best joined-up writing and put a stamp on it. But then a couple of years ago, when i had to 'sign on' for the first time in probably 40yrs, i discovered everything these days is done via the Internet. People expect emails.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • sparkermarketing
    • By sparkermarketing 15th Jul 16, 1:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    sparkermarketing
    • 15th Jul 16, 1:20 PM
    • 15th Jul 16, 1:20 PM
    what does the job advert say? what contact details do they provide?
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 15th Jul 16, 2:45 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    • 15th Jul 16, 2:45 PM
    • 15th Jul 16, 2:45 PM
    what does the job advert say? what contact details do they provide?
    Originally posted by sparkermarketing
    It's not a specific job - I am a self-employed computer engineer and I would love to work for my favourite computer magazine, ComputerActive - I even helped a client of mine and thus had my letter published in the issue out now!
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 15th Jul 16, 3:56 PM
    • 20,507 Posts
    • 35,078 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 15th Jul 16, 3:56 PM
    • 15th Jul 16, 3:56 PM
    I know i said email, but in those circumstances i think a letter would be better
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 15th Jul 16, 4:37 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 15th Jul 16, 4:37 PM
    • 15th Jul 16, 4:37 PM
    One magazine writer that I know started his career by writing articles that he thought magazines would be interested in and then sending them off to a variety of magazines covering the technology that he wanted to write about. He must have been pretty good because more than one magazine actually printed the article he sent and paid him for it. He's still a freelancer but writes regularly for one particular magazine now. Most magazine editors would want to see samples of your work so the best advice is probably to get writing!
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 15th Jul 16, 4:44 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    • 15th Jul 16, 4:44 PM
    • 15th Jul 16, 4:44 PM
    One magazine writer that I know started his career by writing articles that he thought magazines would be interested in and then sending them off to a variety of magazines covering the technology that he wanted to write about. He must have been pretty good because more than one magazine actually printed the article he sent and paid him for it. He's still a freelancer but writes regularly for one particular magazine now. Most magazine editors would want to see samples of your work so the best advice is probably to get writing!
    Originally posted by jamesperrett
    Thankyou for the advice. So should I wait to write a letter and write an article first?
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 20th Jul 16, 9:38 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    • 20th Jul 16, 9:38 AM
    • 20th Jul 16, 9:38 AM
    I have decided I am going to write an article detailing mine and my clients' views on Windows 10. Even I don't get it published, it will show them what I can do.
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 22nd Sep 16, 11:14 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:14 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:14 AM
    I have finished my two articles, and sent them to:
    Computeractve.
    What other computer magazines do you recommend?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 2,366 Thanks
    Smodlet
    How about Computer Weekly?
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 7,899 Posts
    • 13,679 Thanks
    Pennywise
    I regularly get people looking for jobs either emailing or writing to me even when no job has been advertised.

If it's a letter, I'll read it.

If it's an email, especially if it's brief with the cv etc as an attachment, I'll delete it. I certainly won't open an attachment from someone I don't know, and wasn't expecting, in case it's some kind of virus.

So, my advice is to write not email.
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 22nd Sep 16, 1:37 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    So shall I print them out and post them as well?
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 22nd Sep 16, 2:45 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    YouAsked
    I'm not a techy type person, but isn't this a case of know your audience? Would a computer/technology magazine not expect you to use a computer/technology to contact them?

Also regarding magazines to contact, maybe think wider and contact websites like "pocket lint" etc?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 22nd Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I have finished my two articles, and sent them to:
    Computeractve.
    What other computer magazines do you recommend?
    Originally posted by tommy2k8
    Why not just go to your nearest large newsagent and see what magazines are on their shelves that would be suitable for the sort of articles you have written? Make a note of the names then refer to their websites to see what their instructions are for submission of written work - it may be via the website. I doubt if many magazine publishers expect to receive hard copy submissions these days, particularly in the technology field.
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 22nd Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    Thanks people, I am also hoping to submit it to Google, anyone know where to find an email address for them because I've looked everywhere; oh, and Sky
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 22nd Sep 16, 6:19 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 2,366 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I don't work in IT and, if I can find this...
    https://www.google.co.uk/about/careers/
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 23rd Sep 16, 7:53 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    I don't work in IT and, if I can find this...
    https://www.google.co.uk/about/careers/
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    I found that too, but thats America
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 23rd Sep 16, 7:58 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I found that too, but thats America
    Originally posted by tommy2k8
    It really isn't, if you can't find the UK jobs then I doubt whether Google will be interested in hiring you.
    • tommy2k8
    • By tommy2k8 23rd Sep 16, 8:04 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tommy2k8
    I regularly get people looking for jobs either emailing or writing to me even when no job has been advertised.

If it's an email, especially if it's brief with the cv etc as an attachment, I'll delete it. I certainly won't open an attachment from someone I don't know, and wasn't expecting, in case it's some kind of virus.

Originally posted by Pennywise
    I may write to companies anyway, just to make sure my letters are opened!
    • phill99
    • By phill99 23rd Sep 16, 6:41 PM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 6,781 Thanks
    phill99

Originally posted by Pennywise

I agree with this. I get three or four emails a week asking for spec jobs. Now I know they are just random people sat at the Job Club pressing the send button to satisfy the requirements so they can get their JSA. I ignore them. Often because they are incorrectly headed, have no idea what we do and basic spelling / grammar inaccuracies.

But if I get a letter, then I know someone has taken the time to research the company and spent some time on a application. On that basis I will always read the letter and CV and always send letter back, even if to say, thanks for your interest etc.

So always send a letter
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,451Users online

Martin's Twitter