Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markray007
    • By markray007 12th Jul 16, 11:57 PM
    • 192Posts
    • 68Thanks
    markray007
    Music Magpie - Warning
    • 12th Jul 16, 11:57 PM
    Music Magpie - Warning 12th Jul 16 at 11:57 PM
    I sent MM a working HTC phone. I couldnt check emails for a time. I now find they have offered me £7 instead of £75 ish. Because i didn't reply within 4 days I have lost my working HTC and £65. Apparently it had screen burn???? Currently raising a complaint as I believe that their T and Cs are appalling and put consumers at a distinct disadvantage, particularly when expecting customers to respond to electronic communication within 4 days. Won't be recommending MM or using them again, feel completely ripped off....lets hope they respond to my complaint within 45 seconds, as that was in my T and C's!!!
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.
Page 1
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 13th Jul 16, 1:48 PM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 13th Jul 16, 1:48 PM
    • 13th Jul 16, 1:48 PM
    How did they say they would contact you when you signed up?
    Was contact by e-mail unexpected?
    • Amberama
    • By Amberama 4th Jan 17, 8:42 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Amberama
    • 4th Jan 17, 8:42 AM
    similar issues with Music Magpie
    • 4th Jan 17, 8:42 AM
    I sent MM a working HTC phone. I couldnt check emails for a time. I now find they have offered me £7 instead of £75 ish. Because i didn't reply within 4 days I have lost my working HTC and £65. Apparently it had screen burn???? Currently raising a complaint as I believe that their T and Cs are appalling and put consumers at a distinct disadvantage, particularly when expecting customers to respond to electronic communication within 4 days. Won't be recommending MM or using them again, feel completely ripped off....lets hope they respond to my complaint within 45 seconds, as that was in my T and C's!!!
    Originally posted by markray007
    I just had a similar experience with Music Magpie - sent them a fully working HTC worth £70 and got an offer for £7 for a broken phone. Luckily for me I was watching my emails like a hawk and rejected their offer. On receipt it worked fine, from which I will make my own assumptions about the motivations of Music Magpie...
    • Scarlett
    • By Scarlett 9th Feb 17, 4:35 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Scarlett
    • 9th Feb 17, 4:35 PM
    • 9th Feb 17, 4:35 PM
    Posting this here, as I'm also having problems with MM.

Sent them my phone. They said there was a problem as my phone was listed as lost/stolen/barred, so I had the block removed. They came back to me and confirmed that the red flag had been removed, but they were now revaluing the device due some "damage", which is bs as there was no damage when I sent it to them. They offered me half of the originally quoted price, or said they would return the device free of charge. I promptly asked them to return it to me. Heard nothing for a few days. Then I got an email stating that “after re-testing your device, we have discovered that we still cannot access it as the block has not been removed”... which again is utter bs, as I know the block has been removed, and they've confirmed that it's been removed.

I pointed that out to them, and asked them again to return it. No response. I've emailed them, written on their FB and tweeted. No reply.

Does anyone know what my legal rights are? Would this constitute theft?!
    • loobiloo
    • By loobiloo 9th Feb 17, 7:10 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    loobiloo
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:10 PM
    very interesting!
    • 9th Feb 17, 7:10 PM
    Ive had the same problem. I sent them a 2 year old Galaxy S5 in very good condition. Rather than the £100 they said they'd pay me, they reduced it to £15 saying that the sim card holder was broken. I asked them to clarify what that meant (twice) and received no response other than I now had 48 and then 24 hours left to accept or refuse their revised offer. I declined and said I wanted my phone back.

Then they told me my revised offer had been accepted! I told them I didn't want it, I wanted my perfectly decent phone back. And now they tell me their measly £15 is on its way. I've emailed, tweeted and had no relevant response from them. I've just left a complaint on a comparison site but don't imagine anything will come of that.

I wasn't away from my emails so was able to respond to them immediately but sadly they were all ignored.

What are our rights here?
    • loobiloo
    • By loobiloo 21st Feb 17, 5:04 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    loobiloo
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:04 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:04 PM
    Still I wait to hear from this appalling shower of sh*ts! They have said they will return my phone after I returned their measly £15. This was done 11 days ago. I realise they are probably quite busy with having to return phones to people but I am wondering who I could complain to? Thanks!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 21st Feb 17, 5:09 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:09 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:09 PM
    No-one. Send a LBA and then issue proceedings if you get no-where.
    • loobiloo
    • By loobiloo 21st Feb 17, 5:12 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    loobiloo
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:12 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:12 PM
    What's an LBA?

thanks
    • Scarlett
    • By Scarlett 21st Feb 17, 5:17 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Scarlett
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:17 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:17 PM
    What's an LBA?

thanks
    Originally posted by loobiloo
    I believe it's a letter before action. I don't know if I can post links, but look here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/
    • Scarlett
    • By Scarlett 21st Feb 17, 5:22 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Scarlett
    They've managed to send my phone back to me, after 2 weeks of me emailing and messaging them every day. I haven't picked it up from the post office though, so who knows what kind of state it's in after they've thrown it around their offices!
    • loobiloo
    • By loobiloo 21st Feb 17, 5:25 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    loobiloo
    They've managed to send my phone back to me, after 2 weeks of me emailing and messaging them every day. I haven't picked it up from the post office though, so who knows what kind of state it's in after they've thrown it around their offices!
    Originally posted by Scarlett
    Oh good luck then! They really are a crummy blood pressure raising 'company' - magpies are known for stealing arent they? I guess at least they got their name right....
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 21st Feb 17, 5:25 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Correct. Send it to their registered address stating what you require them to do withing 7 days, stating that unless that is forthcoming you will immediately commence legal proceedings at which point you will also be claiming not only the value of the phone but court fees, incidental costs and statutory interest.

HOWEVER, if it isn't a UK company you can forget all that.
    • loobiloo
    • By loobiloo 21st Feb 17, 5:29 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    loobiloo
    thanks - yes, they are in Cheshire. I've emailed them today and sent them a message on twitter. If I hear don't hear anything by tomorrow I will write as you have suggested.
    • Scarlett
    • By Scarlett 24th Feb 17, 7:51 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Scarlett
    DO NOT SEND YOUR PHONE TO THESE PEOPLE.

I've just received my phone back after refusing their revised offer, and it's got scratches all over the back of it that weren't there when I sent it to them. I'm fairly sure that the scratches were deliberately inflicted because I gave them a hard time about getting my phone back to me. Unbelievable. Don't really know what to do now. They're an absolute SHOWER.
    • Pagey179
    • By Pagey179 14th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pagey179
    Another Warning
    Send a pristine LG phone complete with charger to Music Magpie for a supposed purchase price of £65. Got an email telling me it was faulty... Battery was expanded so they'd offer £7!!! Battery had been holding charge no problem. Got it sent back. Tried for 5 minutes on a sheet of glass to find any perceptible rocking of the battery to indicate it was expanded... I could find nothing! Thought I was dealing with a reputable company but just another rip off...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

5,150Users online

Martin's Twitter