Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jul 16, 9:55 PM
    • 1,969Posts
    • 292Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Tredaire Dreamwalk 'vs' Cloud 9 Cumulus - longevity?
    • 12th Jul 16, 9:55 PM
    Tredaire Dreamwalk 'vs' Cloud 9 Cumulus - longevity? 12th Jul 16 at 9:55 PM
    I'm looking for someone who has had either of these for a reasonable period of time.
    If you've had it in for a week, or a month or some other short timeframe then this question isn't really for you. I'd be saying 12 months minimum but even that's pretty short so the longer the better.

After doing much googling these are the names that constantly get thrown up. There are others like the Tredaire Colours Red & Green which have been mentioned but these 2 are the ones that constantly get thrown up.

Hall, stairs & landing will be one carpet & then a different carpet for the living room.

I read some websites that rave over them, some that pan one but rave over the other & even some where both get panned.

What i'm not wanting is something that goes flat as a pancake within 5 minutes.
    So for those of you who've had either of these in place -
    * where did you have it (which room)
    * how long have you had it in
    * and how is it holding up / when did it feel like it had gone flat (if at all).

On a side note, i read one site yesterday where someone mentioned fitters not being so keen on fitting 11mm underlay & not only that but you can see the grippers showing through the carpet where it's all beefed up. Not sure how accurate that person was. Any feedback on those points?

Page 1
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 13th Jul 16, 8:24 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    xyz123
    • 13th Jul 16, 8:24 PM
    • 13th Jul 16, 8:24 PM
    We have tradaire 11mm fitted in stairs, landing and bedrooms. That was about 4 years ago and no complaints whatsoever... With regards to fitters our ones from carpet rite didn't have any problems and certainly we don't have any gripper bars showing up anywhere....
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Jul 16, 8:50 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 13th Jul 16, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 16, 8:50 PM
    Just the reply i was looking for (timeframe). Thanks for that.

Anyone else had the Cloud9 in for a while, or even anyone else with the Tredaire?

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Jul 16, 8:48 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 14th Jul 16, 8:48 PM
    • 14th Jul 16, 8:48 PM
    Well the samples from tradepriced came today.

I instantly ruled out about 4 of them & whittled it down to...

Tredaire Dreamwalk
    Cloud 9 Cumulus
    Tredaire Colours Red
    Tredaire Colours Green

The red & green are rubbery & most of the underlay i look at & the feedback suggests that people have is foam & i think so many people surely can't be wrong.

There's not a huge difference in it. The only real difference i noticed was that the dreamwalk feels more 'squishy' than the Cloud 9. The Cloud 9 is just as thick but feels a tad firmer, which i think could possibly work out better.

• Silver-Surfer
    • By Silver-Surfer 14th Jul 16, 8:54 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Silver-Surfer
    • 14th Jul 16, 8:54 PM
    • 14th Jul 16, 8:54 PM
    We've got Cosi Ten, been down a while with no issues.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Jul 16, 10:29 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 14th Jul 16, 10:29 PM
    • 14th Jul 16, 10:29 PM
    On a side note, it amazes me how many people know exactly what underlay they have.
    Nobody i know of could possibly tell you. They'd just say it's what the carpet fitter put down.

• tb4100
    • By tb4100 14th Jul 16, 10:34 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    tb4100
    • 14th Jul 16, 10:34 PM
    • 14th Jul 16, 10:34 PM
    I had cloud 9 11mil put down 7 years ago ,carpet still felt like new so new in fact just had it put down in all my rooms in my new house 8 weeks ago.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 15th Jul 16, 12:40 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 15th Jul 16, 12:40 AM
    • 15th Jul 16, 12:40 AM
    Tredait 11mm on mine. No problems with fitting using my normal bloke.

I have it in the master bedroom and my sons room and has been down for 3 years. It sounds a little...crunchy, when it first goes down but after a little while of use it stops.

I have a thick carpet on top of it and it is still feels like new and will be putting it in the remaining bedroom when I renovate it. I wont be using it on my stairs as I want to get something like the Axeminster felt for that as I'm not 100% sure how it would hold up in a high traffic area.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Jul 16, 9:11 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 15th Jul 16, 9:11 AM
    • 15th Jul 16, 9:11 AM
    On a side note, it amazes me how many people know exactly what underlay they have.
    Nobody i know of could possibly tell you. They'd just say it's what the carpet fitter put down.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    All I know is the fluffy wool stuff is so much better than the smelly rubber stuff.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 15th Jul 16, 6:04 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Here's a question for you guys since i'm not 100% sure whether i'm having a particular product pushed my way or not....

Like i said, the Tredaire Dreamwalk felt softer/squishier than the Cloud 9 Cumulus.

Tradepriced informed me that the Dreamwalk has a higher density (which they said offers better performance & higher level of support). So they're telling me the Dreamwalk is basically the better underlay.

Tredaire Dreamwalk: 110kg m3
    Cloud 9 Cumulus: 100kg m3

That's what they told me. I was surprised because i would've expected the Dreamwalk to be firmer, not softer.

Tradepriced have been very helpful so far, but i understand they have products to sell & can be influenced by how much profit they make on certain products. I know how all that side works.

But then when you do a spot of googling....

https://flooringmegastore.co.uk/underlay/

Dreamwalk: 110kg m3 (so same so far)
    Cloud 9 Cumulus: 113kg m3 (hmm? That's just jumped 13kg over what tradepriced said.

So do a spot more googling.....

http://www.underlay.com/assets/downloads/cloud9cumulus.pdf

Cloud 9 Cumulus:
    Core Density: 100kg m3
    Product Density: 113kg m3 (the plot thickens)

So what's the difference between core & product density?

A little bit of final googling:

http://interfloor.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/08105435/Dreamwalk-TREDAIRE-TS.pdf

Dreamwalk:
    Nominal Density: 110kg m3 (at least this is consistent)

So there's core, product & nominal??

I know some will say i'm looking at it too much but let them say that. If i was shelling out a few quid then yeah perhaps, but when i'm shelling out a few £100 which will be a decision that'll be in place for a number of years then i'll do all the reading that i need to before i part with the money

Axeminster felt
    Originally posted by phil24_7
    Heard great stuff about this but when googling it i can't find it. Even tried eBay & couldn't find it so i don't even know what price we're talking.

• Silver-Surfer
    • By Silver-Surfer 15th Jul 16, 6:17 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    Silver-Surfer
    I only know as I have an off cut I use as a kneeling pad when I paint the skirting.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 15th Jul 16, 6:22 PM
    • 25,963 Posts
    • 66,664 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Anyone else had the Cloud9 in for a while
    We've got Cloud 9 - laid a good while ago, five or six years, and it still feels good.

You may be overthinking the issue - any of the top-end underlays would be good.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 15th Jul 16, 8:21 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    You may be overthinking the issue - any of the top-end underlays would be good.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    No doubt i am. I get told this a lot but i'm quite happy thinking about it to be honest If nothing else i'm curious about this density & the varying numbers. I'm just interested in what they mean - core, product, nominal etc.

• phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 15th Jul 16, 8:54 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    phil24_7
    You will notice absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the 2 so get whichever is cheapest or most readily available! I got the tredair due to reviews and the fact I could get it locally for the same price as online.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 15th Jul 16, 8:55 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    phil24_7
    Axeminster felt is only available from axeminster carpets and is stupidly priced!!! There are 1 or 2 copies that get some way to reproducing its quality.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 15th Jul 16, 10:14 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Ok that i will notice no difference

But it doesn't stop me wanting to know what the core density, the product density & the nominal density actually mean.

And the more people just say - you think about it too much, you wont notice anything, i'm not going to tell you either A) because i don't know the answer myself or B) something else .... the more it makes me want to know

And what is that axeminster felt one like? In what way is it different to the foam stuff?
    I'm not looking to buy it if it's so dear. I'm just wanting to know. No harm in that.

• DRP
    • By DRP 15th Jul 16, 10:39 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    DRP
    Have had Cloud 9 for more than 2 years in our lounge.

Was recommended by our cousin (a self-employed carpet fitter).

No complaints and significantly better than any of our previous carpets - those fitted by previous owners of the house.
    • Kraftwerk
    • By Kraftwerk 16th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kraftwerk
    What did you go for in the end?
    I'm looking for some 11mm underlay for a home cinema room and I'm in the same situation as you.
    Dreamwalk or Cloud 9?
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I went for Cloud 9 in the end.

I can't say it's any better or worse than Dreamwalk as it's not like i went for one in one room & another in another. I spoke with the installer & he said they're much the same thing really. It's not like night & day difference.

I had read stories of the Cloud 9 making 'crinkly' noises as you walk on it. If you've read that also then i can say in my experience that is nonsense.

I'm happy enough with the result & i'm the type of person who looks for faults lol

Just be prepared to lob a good section off any doors.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,168Posts Today

5,570Users online

Martin's Twitter