Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 74
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 10th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 14,869 Posts
    • 189,884 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    I know it's not really prepping as you can't really prepare for idiots but this is a take care warning we live in a smallish town in the middlelands ds1 has just shown me a photo and warning a friend posted on FB last night. Clowns jumped out and chased him as he was biking over the train bridge, he pedalled off fast thinking he just get away but they had tied a wire across the end so he went over his handle bars and got quite badly grazed up (luckily no worse) ds2 works at a local eatery in the evenings so main warning was for him. But if they are doing stupid stuff like that he it's bound to be in other uk towns - especially with Halloween coming up.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Morning all
    I know it's not really prepping as you can't really prepare for idiots but this is a take care warning we live in a smallish town in the middlelands ds1 has just shown me a photo and warning a friend posted on FB last night. Clowns jumped out and chased him as he was biking over the train bridge, he pedalled off fast thinking he just get away but they had tied a wire across the end so he went over his handle bars and got quite badly grazed up (luckily no worse) ds2 works at a local eatery in the evenings so main warning was for him. But if they are doing stupid stuff like that he it's bound to be in other uk towns - especially with Halloween coming up.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    A town close to ours has ask that no one dress up as clowns or carry baseball bats (happening in other places in America). They have also had incidents.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 10,333 Posts
    • 198,181 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    We've got contagious clown-idiocy in our region, too. One of these nights one of these numpties will get their lights punched out by an un-amused victim.

Re wires being strung across places where cycles go, it has happened here, unrelated to clowning, and once even with a gang lying in wait to extract money from the downed cyclist with menaces. Worth us cyclist bearing in mind - the only cycle path I use regularly is extremely heavily travelled with thousands of passers-by on bikes and on foot daily, so would be hard to string line across that one.

Have a good day, folks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 14,936 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    One cycling cousin has a pair of wirecutters in amongst the puncture repair doings. He reckons being 6'7" means he doesn't get much hassle, but wryly acknowledges that on the dirt, we're all short...

Mildly stunned to see 50 last minute ways to prep for an emergency this - frankly, if you Haven't Heard the hurricane warnings, just how much help might this be?
    (Then, I heard various supermarkets had the wine shelves empty but still plenty of sticklights, bottled water & snack foods. To each their priorities, I suppose.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,135 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wires across a public right of way plus anonymous people *trying* to scare you, thats horrendous.

It does make me wonder. This is what these people feel free to do *now*, even with the so-called Rule of Law operating. What if the emergency services and army were trying to cope with a natural disaster, like another hurricane as in 1987? Or a 3 day week that led to the streetlights being switched off and power cuts like in the 1970s? There really do seem to be fewer inhibitions today about cruelty ... am I just getting old, is it my imagination?
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 41,720 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    t's worrying isn't it?
    And I suspect there will be clowns knocking on the doors on Hallowe'en
    • it's me in disguise
    • By it's me in disguise 10th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    it's me in disguise
    Ok, I am surrounded by Clown's day and night.
    I can't escape them,

No I don't live in a circus, ( although sometimes it feels like it)

I live in Clowne in Derbyshire pronounced the same way!

There is a site with the history of clownevillage

I've had to do a new user name, as in real life I might be recognised

xx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Oct 16, 2:21 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 41,720 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ok, I am surrounded by Clown's day and night.
    I can't escape them,

No I don't live in a circus, ( although sometimes it feels like it)

I live in Clowne in Derbyshire pronounced the same way!

There is a site with the history of clownevillage

I've had to do a new user name, as in real life I might be recognised

xx
    Originally posted by it's me in disguise
    That certainly sounds much nicer than the "clowns" causing so much hassle
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 10th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 27,011 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Uh-oh... Pound worth less than Euro at UK airports - fuel prices on their way up.
    Angie

GC 09/16 - £519.18/£520 GC 10/16 - £548.92/£500 GC Nov 16 - £536.73/£520
    GC 12/16 - £244.50/£550- now feeding 4 adults, 2 cats, 2 cockatiels and 11 chickens

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 10,333 Posts
    • 198,181 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Uh-oh... Pound worth less than Euro at UK airports - fuel prices on their way up.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    You always get the worst exchange rates at airports and you'd be a fool to change money at them. Exchange rate on the street here 1.16 euro to the pound today but that isn't so headline-worthy, is it?

Of course, when the euro goes belly-up, it'll all be academic.

I was musing as I walked to work this morning on clowns frightening teenage girls. One non-costume clown-type once tried to frighten me as a 19 y.o walking alone on a busy city street early on a dark winter's night.

He probably thought it was an easy thrill, leaping out at a girl as she passed a shadowy doorway. He was smacked across both forearms by the forceful downward slice of the side of my hand and the last I saw of him was clutching said bruised forearms and calling me an effing beyatch.

Joke was, I'd hit him by reflex after having spent an all day aikido training session, and was about as surprised as he was.

People who pick on people don't always know what kind of people they have picked upon. I know women of 5 ft tall and 8 stone sopping wet who can dole out serious GBH.

Trending soon, young martial artist breaks clown's nose and the Police promise to wipe the smile off the offender's face. With Nivea, if necessary.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 28,203 Thanks
    monnagran
    GQ. Why Nivea? I'd do it with a Brillo pad.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 10,333 Posts
    • 198,181 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ. Why Nivea? I'd do it with a Brillo pad.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Carbolic soap? The true old styler would probably use sandpaper.

I'm driving my pooter mouse left-handed as I seem to have a touch of RSI on the right forearm. I blame youse lot, plus the rest of the fascinating interwebulator.

I'd like to catch me a clown. I wonder is they're hydrodynamic, we have a river very handily by Shoebox Towers.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Witless
    • By Witless 10th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    Witless
    We've got contagious clown-idiocy in our region, too. One of these nights one of these numpties will get their lights punched out by an un-amused victim.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    According to a friend of Witless(Jnr) that's exactly what happened here on Saturday night.

Bit hard to feel any real sympathy for the 'victim'.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    They've been predicting for some time, that somebody would die, in a vehicle attack at the ports.

I don't think anyone expected the fatality to be a migrant.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 30,670 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    They've been predicting for some time, that somebody would die, in a vehicle attack at the ports.

I don't think anyone expected the fatality to be a migrant.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I did - expect that...literally standing there blocking the roads is knowingly putting oneself at risk. It's giving the poor drivers two choices - either sit inside the vehicle (with all doors and windows locked), calling the police and taking photos of them doing this OR drive on. Neither choice is a happy one.

I fear the first death of someone just going about their business - eg lorry-drivers, holidaymakers, etc.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-10-2016 at 8:55 AM.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 11th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 6,737 Thanks
    Doveling
    MITSTM (and anybody else interested) the Future Learn course on Food as Medicine is repeating again on 24th October.

When I did it, it focused more on healthy eating rather than the medicinal properties of food but they may have tweaked the content. Worth doing anyway, I felt.

I have no connection to FL apart from taking quite a few of their courses.

Plus the courses are free!
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 30,670 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks Doveling.

I have actually signed myself up for that - as I thought it might be interesting.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 11th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    I did - expect that...literally standing there blocking the roads is knowingly putting oneself at risk. It's giving the poor drivers two choices - either sit inside the vehicle (with all doors and windows locked), calling the police and taking photos of them doing this OR drive on. Neither choice is a happy one.

I fear the first death of someone just going about their business - eg lorry-drivers, holidaymakers, etc.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I think one is happier than the other though, in that with the former you aren't knowingly killing some poor soul ?
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Oct 16, 3:43 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    While any death is tragic, I struggle to feel sympathy for someone, who loses their life, while committing a criminal (and especially a violent criminal) act.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 11-10-2016 at 7:29 PM.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 11th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 6,054 Thanks
    culpepper
    How long before people are running into the vehicles on purpose ?
    Would the law deem it a hit and run if a person actually ran into your car and you did not open the doors or windows for fear of who is going to leap in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter