Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 73
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 7th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ariarnia
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37572771

This made me think - while we like to do for ourselves, we aren't professionals - complacency can be a killer.

The plight of a four-year-old boy who nearly died after his parents gave him 12 alternative medicines has prompted doctors to warn against the treatments.

Doctors at Newham Hospital in east London said the parents were "devastated" that their good intentions had made him so unwell.
    The boy took a dozen supplements supposedly to help treat his autism.

The boy developed a potentially fatal condition after taking supplements from a naturopath (natural health practitioner) for a number of months, which included vitamin D, camel's milk, silver and Epsom bath salts.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 30,630 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I read that article and felt it was unbalanced - as there was no article beside it (or even in the same newspaper) saying how many people are killed or injured by taking remedies prescribed by conventional doctors.

Instant thought about that - the side-effects of statins for instance. I know I probably come into a category whereby they would like to prescribe those for me. But that won't be happening - as I've read about the side-effects of them and that some people are still complaining months after taking them (eg of statins having made their legs feel very weak/pretty unusable - and they still feel that way despite having stopped them).

So - you pays your money and you takes your choice and it would be interesting to see comparative figures between the two types of treatment (ie conventional and complementary/alternative). I suspect it would weigh heavily against conventional medicine for unintended consequences.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 4,354 Posts
    • 61,693 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I will not be taking statins either...
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 35,187 Thanks
    maryb
    I will not be taking bisphosphonates
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 35,187 Thanks
    maryb
    Upped the preps today as Liddleys were selling tinned tomatoes for 25p. I use a lot and I like Liddley tins because they are not lined with BPA containing plastic. So a flat of 12 tins added to stores
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Oct 16, 6:53 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 35,187 Thanks
    maryb
    This is quite fun
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3825578/Are-prepared-zombie-apocalypse-Expert-reveals-disaster-strikes.html

Of more immediate concern than the zombie apocalypse, I seem to recall that we get the tail end of the US's hurricanes about a week later. Might be time to grab a pair of binoculars and inspect the roof for any dodgy tiles which would get dislodged in high winds
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 26,542 Posts
    • 140,120 Thanks
    Karmacat
    This is quite fun
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3825578/Are-prepared-zombie-apocalypse-Expert-reveals-disaster-strikes.html

Of more immediate concern than the zombie apocalypse, I seem to recall that we get the tail end of the US's hurricanes about a week later. Might be time to grab a pair of binoculars and inspect the roof for any dodgy tiles which would get dislodged in high winds
    Originally posted by maryb
    What really stands out to me is that today is World Zombie Day

Trying to think of any actual preps I'm doing and really, it's just about catching up with making the house how I want to live in it - storage of spare fuel more efficient, for example, so air still circulates freely and it's still pleasant to live in *now*.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 10,325 Posts
    • 198,069 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Happy World Zombie Day, everybody.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 8th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,717 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Nobody should take Epsom Salts but especially not a child.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 8th Oct 16, 10:31 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ariarnia
    Hmm.... I know (basic) first aid, how to make soap with lye and fat, and how to charcoal (in principle).

Issue is, in a disaster situation it goes some way past first aid.

Lye also makes a good disinfectant if you're carful. We've used it at the stables before now because one of the horses is allergic to phenol based disinfectants, but it's very caustic so could lead to a first aid situation of it's own.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 8th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ariarnia
    Nobody should take Epsom Salts but especially not a child.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    I found it fairly horrible they were trying to 'cure' his autism...

Why can't we just accept people the way they are - it's a difference, not a disease.

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 8th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,717 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    So very s Aspergers, which is now no longer a definition as it is being shuttled back to autism. So much for the spectrum.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 41,615 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    maryb We can look at our roof through binoculars all we like, we still won't be able to do anything about the missing tile that's up there (or rather, isn't up there ). It took months and months to find someone to come and clean our blocked gutters!

We and next door now have pigeons nesting under the eaves between our houses, after they were displaced when the trees across the road were cut down and a derelict building demolished. They are a ruddy nuisance and our landing window ledges are liberally decorated with their droppings

Apparently it might be worth buying a decoy owl to see it it will scare them away. No idea where we'd put it though, unless it could go on one of the gateposts!
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 8th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ariarnia
    maryb We can look at our roof through binoculars all we like, we still won't be able to do anything about the missing tile that's up there (or rather, isn't up there ). It took months and months to find someone to come and clean our blocked gutters!

We and next door now have pigeons nesting under the eaves between our houses, after they were displaced when the trees across the road were cut down and a derelict building demolished. They are a ruddy nuisance and our landing window ledges are liberally decorated with their droppings

Apparently it might be worth buying a decoy owl to see it it will scare them away. No idea where we'd put it though, unless it could go on one of the gateposts!
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    On a sideboard peering out through the window?

That'd put the devil in 'em when they landed on your ledges

More seriously though, you can get plastic spike strips (not sharp and in a range of non-intrusive colours) and put them on the outside sill. Means they don't have a flat place to land.

• daz378
    • By daz378 8th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    daz378
    hiya people bad day in work last week ....when i went into work on the monday i was told the client i look after mid forties heavy built male with learning difficulties ... had been beaten up in the local park sustained head injuries.... police are looking for the culprits but we also acknowledge the client non verbal can point and gesticulate towards kids adults who are in his opinion up to no good say parkkeeper mentality ... this does by no means excuse what happened to him.... we have gps on his phone and if we couldnt see him for 30 min ...we would ask management to find him in the light of incident this has been reduced to 15 min.....the tension between clients Dignity of risk and our duty of care to keep him safe.......hes a lot better now..thankfully and he still likes to go for a walk. Did Avuva retirement app to estimate my retirement income....but wasnt sure how much my employer contributes i still have local government pension even though we have been privatised i guessed at 12 % btw my storage chests are nicely filling up with tins......take care
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 8th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    singlestep
    Sorry to hear about your client, Daz. People can be so vile, can't they?

--

I'm feeling the changes in the season. It's mostly dark when I get to work at 7, I've looked out my warmer work clothes and it's definitely soup in a food flask rather than salad for lunch. I have a week off quite soon and have a list of pre-winter appointments (flu jab included), stock-ups and preps to do, including the dreaded beginning of the Christmas shopping.

All I really need for myself this winter is a decent pair of shoes I can stand up in all day. I am a bit lower than I'd like on tins and condiments. It's an improvement - not that long ago, I'd never have noticed until too late.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 41,615 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    On a sideboard peering out through the window?

That'd put the devil in 'em when they landed on your ledges

More seriously though, you can get plastic spike strips (not sharp and in a range of non-intrusive colours) and put them on the outside sill. Means they don't have a flat place to land.
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    Thank, but they don't land on the ledge; it's very narrow. They're up above under the eaves. We wouldn't be able to access the outside ledge anyway as the window is a sealed unit.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I found it fairly horrible they were trying to 'cure' his autism...

Why can't we just accept people the way they are - it's a difference, not a disease.
    i was told the client i look after mid forties heavy built male with learning difficulties ... had been beaten up in the local park sustained head injuries
    So very sad... but as a parent of a youngster with autism-related problems, you can't help but be aware how the less-empathic amongst us will peck at someone different, like overcrowded chickens, whether physically like daz378's poor client or "just" verbally. So you do want your child to be "better" so they don't get hurt when they're out there in the "real" world & you'll try anything when desperate. Utterly agreeing that the parents in this case were totally irresponsible, though, but it's clear that there is some kind of food/gut/brain link in many cases of autism; my girl's self-imposed diet of fresh vegetables, home-laid eggs, a little fish and a whole lot of fermented foods does seem to have helped her considerably.
    Angie

GC 09/16 - £519.18/£520 GC 10/16 - £548.92/£500 GC Nov 16 - £536.73/£520
    GC 12/16 - £238.50/£550- now feeding 4 adults, 2 cats, 2 cockatiels and 11 chickens

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    FYI DigForVictory (and anyone else in Northern Lancashire), there's another ISS pass, in ~ 30 minutes.

Details are:-

Magnitude: 2.2
    Start time: 19:34:40
    End Time: 19:40:01
    Duration: 5m21s
    Start Direction: W (260 degrees)
    End Direction: ESE (103 degrees)
    Start Elevation: 10 degrees
    Maximum Elevation: 62 degrees
    Predicted Weather: Clear

There's a second one tonight, but it's only 0.7 Mag, lasts only 1m35s, and has a maximum elevation of only 23 degrees.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 26,964 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    DS2's just come in crowing about seeing the ISS whilst walking TDiL home from work! A lovely bright clear sky tonight; I might have to get the sunbed out, which mainly gets used for star-gazing!
    Angie

GC 09/16 - £519.18/£520 GC 10/16 - £548.92/£500 GC Nov 16 - £536.73/£520
    GC 12/16 - £238.50/£550- now feeding 4 adults, 2 cats, 2 cockatiels and 11 chickens

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter